disney at christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much! We would love to go over Christmas break but some people have told me the crowds make is miserable. We could go anywhere from the 24th of Dec through the 2nd of Jan. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
THANK YOU

ty71803 -

You're welcome! Yes, it's true that it will be very, very crowded between Christmas and New Year's. DL closes a few hours early on Christmas Eve, and from what I've heard, the first part of Christmas Day is not too bad, but then the crowds start packing in after their holiday celebrations have finished.

I'm torn on what to tell you. Maybe some of my fellow DIS'ers here in this thread can weigh in with their thoughts. I can't say that the crowds are no big deal and that they won't bother you because I know I get very impatient and annoyed when it is extremely, abnormally crowded. When the crowds are to a point where I cannot get in shops, cannot take certain photos, have to wait in crazy long lines for ice cream, etc. - it does irritate me. When my enjoyment and the overall quality of the trip are compromised, then I get annoyed. I won't lie. This is what happened to me last year on December 19th. I couldn't even get into NOS because of the crowds. But I had fun anyway because I was with a fun group of friends.

I also feel that the holiday season at DLR is 'worth it' enough to make the effort. If you have been following along with this thread and all the fabulous information and photos provided by everyone, you will know that it is a magical time to visit the parks. Unless you are Scrooge himself, you can't help but be swept up in the beauty of the season at DLR, and in all the wonderful details and hidden gems.

So, that said, I have a hard time telling you to avoid DLR when it's going to be crazy busy because it's just too lovely to miss. I think you should go for it. I think you should do it, but go in with the knowledge that it will be crazy busy in that week between Christmas and New Year's. Just get your mind wrapped around that idea, make lists of priorities and back-up plans. Do all the things people tell you to do on the DIS - get Fast Passes, arrive super early, stay as late as you possibly can, don't eat meals at peak dining times, make reservations for sit-down meals if you can, take a break in Downtown Disney or in one of the hotels if the parks get too busy, etc.

It is definitely possible to go and have a good time even during crazy days if you know what you will be dealing with. Even doing something like taking the holiday tour would be worthwhile because that would get you priority seats on IASW Holiday, on Haunted Mansion Holiday, reserved seats for the holiday parade, a cookie, some hot cocoa, a souvenir pin, a collectible cup, etc., etc.

I saw 3 trees inside Club 33.

The first 2 are in the dining area we were at.

club33_tree2.jpg

club33_tree1.jpg

This one was in a corner by the stairs.

club33_tree3.jpg

Now these are excellent submissions to Tree Quest because very few other people - if any - will be at Club 33 to capture these photos! And if they are there, they may not post their photos here. So you got something very rare!!

Good job!!:thumbsup2

Great photos, uneekstylez! Amazing place too. I like how the trees have a little Mardi Gras in them.

Seeing your avatar, I think you were in our Holiday Tour group ... we skipped the train and powered across the park to get onto Small World in time? You guys were amazing keeping up with a stroller!!

PHXscuba

I'll be there with the kids from Saturday by lunch time to Sunday at least lunch time (I'm not a fan of Sunday crowds). Will anyone else be around? Dh works until mid day Sat and then he'll join us. We're staying at PPH but will spend time at the GCH tree and fire. :santa:

ty71803 -

I'm torn on what to tell you. Maybe some of my fellow DIS'ers here in this thread can weigh in with their thoughts. I can't say that the crowds are no big deal and that they won't bother you because I know I get very impatient and annoyed when it is extremely, abnormally crowded. parade, a cookie, some hot cocoa, a souvenir pin, a collectible cup, etc., etc.

I love how you answered this, teetering both ways, I think most of us would answer the same way. IT IS CRAZY, but none of us let it stop us from going and enjoying our love of the Park and holidays at the Park.

I'll be there with the kids from Saturday by lunch time to Sunday at least lunch time (I'm not a fan of Sunday crowds). Will anyone else be around? Dh works until mid day Sat and then he'll join us. We're staying at PPH but will spend time at the GCH tree and fire. :santa:

Well, I will be there on Sunday, but I have a feeling it's going to be a crazy day and I have no clue if I will be solo or with friends at this point. Either way, I will be checking into the PPH early in the morning. If I'm solo, it will be less hectic and I'll probably be there much earlier, and then I'll do the MM hour by myself. If I am with my friend, then we will probably check in at PPH and head to Goofy's (skipping the MM that day). And then if our other friend comes to meet us, it might be early in the day and very rushed.

So I can't say for sure at this moment when I will be free, but I will be there and I will be at the PPH too!

I love how you answered this, teetering both ways, I think most of us would answer the same way. IT IS CRAZY, but none of us let it stop us from going and enjoying our love of the Park and holidays at the Park.

:rotfl2:I had to teeter. I cannot possibly tell someone to avoid seeing DLR during the holidays because I don't think anyone should miss it. BUT, that week is a tough call! I think it is worth doing if that is the only available holiday time to go, but just go in with realistic expectations!

Now these are excellent submissions to Tree Quest because very few other people - if any - will be at Club 33 to capture these photos! And if they are there, they may not post their photos here. So you got something very rare!!

Good job!!:thumbsup2

Thanks Sherry! Yeah...and I've got photos of the trees that everyone else has, too. So, I thought I'd post the Club 33 ones that I haven't seen photos of on here. Specially since they're quite nice...thought I'd share with everyone!

Great photos, uneekstylez! Amazing place too. I like how the trees have a little Mardi Gras in them.

Seeing your avatar, I think you were in our Holiday Tour group ... we skipped the train and powered across the park to get onto Small World in time? You guys were amazing keeping up with a stroller!!

PHXscuba

Thanks! I know, I like the Mardi Gras feel to them, too. That's why I love NOS! So festive!

Yep! That's us in your Holiday Tour group, alright! LOL. It was pretty crazy crowded that day. But our tour guide was super and got us into IASWH right in the nick of time! Did you enjoy the whole tour? We thought it was worth every penny! Loved it!

I Might be there this weekend too LAPDWIFE….. :rolleyes1 :yay:

We loved the tour too. When you count up the time saved plus all the goodies it was well worth it to us. I think having such a peppy Mouseketeer-esque tour guide really did make the tour even more fun.

The crowds were busy that night, but the next day (Saturday) was insane, especially with the herding around the CP crowds. I'm glad we accomplished a lot on Friday.

PHXscuba

Thank you so much! We would love to go over Christmas break but some people have told me the crowds make is miserable. We could go anywhere from the 24th of Dec through the 2nd of Jan. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
THANK YOU
We went for New Years last holiday season. Yes, New Years Eve was awful but the next morning (New Years Day) the park felt empty! With everyone sleeping in form the night before not many were out and about. We left mid-day but I was amazed how few people were there. Maybe someone else stuck around later in the day and can fill you in on the rest of the day.

Has anyone here used the phone app, MouseWait? I just started looking at it and it looks interesting.

Has anyone here used the phone app, MouseWait? I just started looking at it and it looks interesting.

I use Ride Hopper. I'll check that one out, too. Unless hubman's there and can give me a crowd report, I will use it to check it from home to determine if we want to go to the park.

I will be there tomorrow I have a question about the 20% off merchandise receipt, can you still use it along with your AP discount?
thanks

I must have missed this- how do you get the 20% off merchandise receipt?

OK, off to finish packing. DH got off work early so we should be on the road in about an hour. If I can find it I have a LGMH with SueTGGR on it. If you see me say HI!!
Later!
Sue

Sometimes when you buy food at a counter-service restaurant, you get a coupon on the end of your receipt. The coupon is good for 20 percent of merchandise at the big gift shops. You have to use it before 12:30 on any day and it seems to be good for several weeks after you receive it.

I know they were printing last weekend (I ended up with about 4 of them); not sure if it's all the time or intermittent. You might just want to hold off on major shopping until you've bought a couple meals to see if you get one, especially if you'll still be around the next day.

PHXscuba

OK, my dear DIS friends, I have one final picture for you. This is my favorite of the whole trip, I think. Not sure why, but it just seemed perfect to me.

autumncastle.jpg

PHXscuba

Sometimes when you buy food at a counter-service restaurant, you get a coupon on the end of your receipt. The coupon is good for 20 percent of merchandise at the big gift shops. You have to use it before 12:30 on any day and it seems to be good for several weeks after you receive it.

I know they were printing last weekend (I ended up with about 4 of them); not sure if it's all the time or intermittent. You might just want to hold off on major shopping until you've bought a couple meals to see if you get one, especially if you'll still be around the next day.

PHXscuba

I will add that I have 3 kids and anytime we walk into a shop at the Parks they want everything like any kid. So what we have found that works for us is to hit Downtown Disney on our last day. Hotel check out is around noon so we get up a little later, do a slow breakfast and hit Downtown Disney. By the time we get there the kids have narrowed down there choices.

OK, my dear DIS friends, I have one final picture for you. This is my favorite of the whole trip, I think. Not sure why, but it just seemed perfect to me.

autumncastle.jpg

PHXscuba

Lovely picture! I think it's the blue sky contrasted with the red foliage. I'll be there in just over two weeks, and I've been enjoying looking at your pictures while I do the last of my planning.

Desert Dwellers - I wondered what happened to you! We haven't heard from you in this thread in a long time - I think the last time was when the toe incident happened. I wondered if your trip was still happening, so I'm glad to hear that it is!:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter