Disney Announces New DVC Resort

I’ll be curious on what amenities will be added. Lazy river pool? Doesn’t seem like a surprise as this has always been rumored for years.

I certainly hope there is some kind of water park at the new resort. One area Disney resorts really need improvement is the pool area. All the resorts should have facilities like Stormalong Bay.

My understanding is that there will NEVER be another pool like Stormalong Bay. SB is listed by the govt as, and licensed as, a Water Park, NOT a swimming pool. It has much stricter codes, requirements, maintenance, health and staffing issues than a regular pool. This makes it cost much more to use and maintain. Since Disney could only recoup this cost by charging extra for the rooms, and that would cut into their profits, and people aren’t DEMANDING it anyway, there is very little chance that Disney will ever go to that expense.

I know ‘River Country’ has a history and a heritage, but you can fully expect Disney to downplay that water Park history and play up the ‘natural’ aspects.

My understanding is that there will NEVER be another pool like Stormalong Bay. SB is listed by the govt as, and licensed as, a Water Park, NOT a swimming pool. It has much stricter codes, requirements, maintenance, health and staffing issues than a regular pool. This makes it cost much more to use and maintain. Since Disney could only recoup this cost by charging extra for the rooms, and that would cut into their profits, and people aren’t DEMANDING it anyway, there is very little chance that Disney will ever go to that expense.

I know ‘River Country’ has a history and a heritage, but you can fully expect Disney to downplay that water Park history and play up the ‘natural’ aspects.
At my first entry into the pool at Stormalong Bay I was wondering what the maintenance must be like. Just for starters, sand must constantly be moving from the entry area into the pool, and then recovered and replaced. And then there are the number of lifeguards needed due to the irregular shape. And so on and . . .
But I still hope that the new resort will have a water feature more exciting than the plain vanilla pool plus water slide built into a rock. For example, at Aulani there is a body slide, and a float slide that drops you into the lazy river.

What I find interesting is that the new resort is being constructed as a combined hotel and DVC resort, which has not happened at WDW since Disney finished Boardwalk in 1996 (which currently is the only WDW resort that was constructed as a combined hotel and DVC resort). It also means that this will be the first time since Animal Kingdom Lodge was opened in 2001 that Disney will have added a new hotel resort that is not a value resort. My impression was that Disney never built more hotel resorts, other than value, because it could not fill what it already had to a reasonable profit level, mainly because its never-ending price increases had depressed the demand for renting its hotel rooms. Its strategy for years has been to reduce the number of non-value hotel rooms by converting rooms to DVC such as at AKL, Poly and WL, and actually removing rooms from Contemporary to add BLT. I wonder why Disney thinks the situation is changing (I feel fairly safe in believing it is not because Disney intends to reduce hotel prices; who knows, maybe it is because Disney intends to have a water-park type pool there).

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that the new resort is being constructed as a combined hotel and DVC resort, which has not happened at WDW since Disney finished Boardwalk in 1996 (which currently is the only WDW resort that was constructed as a combined hotel and DVC resort). It also means that this will be the first time since Animal Kingdom Lodge was opened in 2001 that Disney will have added a new hotel resort that is not a value resort. My impression was that Disney never built more hotel resorts, other than value, because it could not fill what it already had to a reasonable profit level, mainly because its never-ending price increases had depressed the demand for renting its hotel rooms. Its strategy for years has been to reduce the number of non-value hotel rooms by converting rooms to DVC such as at AKL, Poly and WL, and actually removing rooms from Contemporary to add BLT. I wonder why Disney thinks the situation is changing (I feel fairly safe in believing it is not because Disney intends to reduce hotel prices; who knows, maybe it is because Disney intends to have a water-park type pool there).
Is it possible the family suites are so popular that they will be adding these cash rooms as a more deluxe family suites?

The hotel industry has gone nuts around WDW and Universal, they have built and are continuing to build large hotels. My guess is that Disney has decided to get in on the market again for rooms above the value category since the market has improved. You notice I didn't say deluxe rooms as Disney's definition of deluxe doesn't match the hotel industry. Why shouldn't Disney have more guests staying at their resorts? Hopefully Disney has learned that the small hotel rooms at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge are not the rooms guests are looking for these days. People want rooms with two beds and a pullout couch option in a regular hotel room. Or like others have mentioned family suites. When parks are expected to be maximum capacity, guests staying at resorts are permitted into the theme parks over guests staying off property until it really maxes out so that could another reason to stay on property.

I have to admit that I do wonder sometimes what Disney considers to be okay for the waiting time in lines for an attraction. Since we have annual passes we find that we often will go to a park, do our FP+s and leave because of the crowds. It isn't even worth looking for a place to eat. That IMO is lost revenue for Disney. So maybe Disney needs to rethink the crowd sizes.

I’m saying family suites over there and a separate water park like kalihari and greAt wolf but outside and it’s included in cost to stay there. Take it or leave it and u have to stay there to use it.

I say it'll have an elaborate lazy river feature...still banking on cashing in on the "River Country" thing.

I am hoping for some options for a family of 6! Actually since my 4 kids are still young a room with 2 beds and a pullout couch is all we need. I find it strange so many non Disney hotels have this setup but Disney does not. We dont need the space of a family suite (yet) but would like to have options other than value resorts (besides a 2BR DVC).

I am hoping for some options for a family of 6! Actually since my 4 kids are still young a room with 2 beds and a pullout couch is all we need. I find it strange so many non Disney hotels have this setup but Disney does not. We dont need the space of a family suite (yet) but would like to have options other than value resorts (besides a 2BR DVC).
There are the connecting Poly studios.

I’ve thought it would be interesting to have reverse lockoffs. (Studio + family room/kitchen to sleep 6-7 for near 1BR points) that could connect to a king master whirlpool suite that sleeps 2. I think it would have some odd challenges.

There are the connecting Poly studios.

I’ve thought it would be interesting to have reverse lockoffs. (Studio + family room/kitchen to sleep 6-7 for near 1BR points) that could connect to a king master whirlpool suite that sleeps 2. I think it would have some odd challenges.

Even Disney hotels have this option, but very few timeshares do because, the whole point of a timeshare is to include a kitchen or kitchenette with microwave. The Poly studios are unique because they were converted hotel rooms.

Even Disney hotels have this option, but very few timeshares do because, the whole point of a timeshare is to include a kitchen or kitchenette with microwave. The Poly studios are unique because they were converted hotel rooms.

Yes I think I forgot this was the DVC thread when I posted that. I was hoping for more options for 6 in the regular non dvc resort section. We dont need a kitchen as I prefer not to cook on vacation and we rarely spend time in the room. But we do like amenities at the Mods and deluxes. Do you know which resorts have sleeping options for 6 in a normal 1 room hotel room? I'm thinking something similar to Embassy Suites, Home2Suites, etc. We dont need an extra bathroom or bedroom. Just 2 beds and a pullout couch works for us! It will change as the kids grow but for now we dont mind being together. When I put in 6 on the Disney site all I get are family suites at AoA and ASMu, along with fancy suites at Coronado and a couple deluxes.

Yes I think I forgot this was the DVC thread when I posted that. I was hoping for more options for 6 in the regular non dvc resort section. We dont need a kitchen as I prefer not to cook on vacation and we rarely spend time in the room. But we do like amenities at the Mods and deluxes. Do you know which resorts have sleeping options for 6 in a normal 1 room hotel room? I'm thinking something similar to Embassy Suites, Home2Suites, etc. We dont need an extra bathroom or bedroom. Just 2 beds and a pullout couch works for us! It will change as the kids grow but for now we dont mind being together. When I put in 6 on the Disney site all I get are family suites at AoA and ASMu, along with fancy suites at Coronado and a couple deluxes.

Sorry I misunderstood, Disney Resorts just has connecting rooms. Embassy Suites and Residence Inn have had these types of 1 bedrooms for business travelers for years as sort of any extended stay option. Eventually families found them too and now other hotels are mimicking them. I am not sure they would work for a timeshare as the basic DVC timeshare is a 2BR that be split into a studio and 1BR. And Disney chose to go with a king bed in the bedroom portion of a 1BR. Those 1BRs are highly appreciated by couples that want a king bed. However, the 1BRs are usually the last rooms to be booked in a DVC resort. Maybe if DVC added 2 queens to the bedroom portion of the 1BR they would be more popular with families where the adults don't care about privacy. The ideal thing would to have some 1BRs with king beds and others with 2 queens. However that would mean less 1BRs would be available if you prefer one or the other. Maybe DVC doesn't want to deal with that headache.

Maybe if DVC added 2 queens to the bedroom portion of the 1BR they would be more popular with families where the adults don't care about privacy.

I chuckled at this part...our Mouseketeer #4 was made at Disney...back in the day when the other 3 kids were 4 and under and great nappers!

I chuckled at this part...our Mouseketeer #4 was made at Disney...back in the day when the other 3 kids were 4 and under and great nappers!

Kudos. Just the 3 four and under part was impressive enough!

DVC one bedrooms with 2 Queens would have been great. But agree with pp it's unlikely to happen.

Kudos. Just the 3 four and under part was impressive enough!

DVC one bedrooms with 2 Queens would have been great. But agree with pp it's unlikely to happen.

Thanks :) That was the first trip we went on and my parents took the whole family. I remember telling ppl before the trip that I would never choose to take a 4,3, and 1 year old to Disney but we couldn't turn down a free trip. That was in 2014 And we loved it so much we went back in 2015 (baby was 11 weeks old) ,2016, 2018 and now planning late 2019!

I have to admit that I do wonder sometimes what Disney considers to be okay for the waiting time in lines for an attraction. Since we have annual passes we find that we often will go to a park, do our FP+s and leave because of the crowds. It isn't even worth looking for a place to eat. That IMO is lost revenue for Disney. So maybe Disney needs to rethink the crowd sizes.
We have similar views. We actually often hit rope drop, do a few quick rides/attractions, take a lunch break, do our FPs in a second park and leave. Less time in the parks due to non-stop crowds year round. Their move to more generic gifts and souvenirs for those who have been to Disney dozens of times also means we don't buy much in their gift shops, either. Lost revenue. . .though I'm certain Disney makes plenty off once or twice in a lifetimers to make up for my small lack of contribution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter