• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Agrees to settle disabilities lawsuit

Actually when I was at Candlelight last year the CM in that section actually called it the area for the blind and hearing impaired and actually assumed my card was for vision as my speech is very good being late deafened. Actually I have problem with both especially at night. I have night blindness and can no longer drive at night. Fortunately not a problem as my husband does the driving for me most of the time. Btw I was there early and they kept trying to push me to the center to make room for others. I just refused because I am not about to have to keep twisting to see the interpreter plus we had my grandson who was 18 months and we figured we might need a quick exit. We did and hubby removed him quickly.

I know you are have to deal with both :hug: . See what I mean about Disney, there is no rhyme or reason why they do what they do. They were pushing you to the center, and keeping me to the side. :confused: The side was better than the back.. By the time the show started, the entire front center was roped off and empty and it remained that way all through out the show. :confused3 When I am home, my DH does all the driving at night. He doesn't come to Disney with me, he cannot do the parks anymore due to his back/neck. So if I don't have friends with me, I cannot stay at night. I have to head to the hotel before night fall if not onsite to take a bus. Even with the bus at night it is still scary, not seeing too well where I am walking and bumping into things.
I will say seated there was easy for me to get out.. :thumbsup2 but I was only able to see part of the "tree" the CM's make. My friend is a CM & I could not see her, but I did enjoy the music.

Wow, you've totally misunderstood me if you think I'm bitter. Yes I did get that from your wording when comparing my requests, demands as you stated, to you dealing with your DD

I wasn't putting you down for requesting accomodations. I do get frustrated with your tone though. In so many of your posts, you come across as very agressive and even derrogatory (not necessarily all of your posts, but there have been many). I can't help but wonder if you speak this way to CMs as well. You know the old saying about more flies with honey. The way you describe some of your situations is VERY demanding and hostile. Not being there obviously I can't say if you were different in the actual situations and you're just expressing your frustration here or if you were just as hostile towards the CMs you were encountering. Just something to think about. Maybe a different approach in general would be helpful.

I don't mean to sound offensive, demeaning or nasty, and no, I don't come across that way with the CM's at the HM until about 15 minutes into the trying to get more flies with honey act. I do know how to request and not demand. On the same token, when you have to stand there time after time and explain yourself over and over, which by the way, you are not supposed to have to even explain to them when you have the proper GAC card. That is my gripe. I even have low vision written on my card, not just the front row stamps for vision. I also have the alt entrance stamped on it as well. After 15 minutes or so of this one does tend to get a bit upset and rightfully so. Once I had to explain it to like 4 different CM's, one of them I had to wait for their arrival. :confused3 Had I gone on the regular line, I would have been able to go around at least twice as there wasn't much of a wait. So they can see I wasn't trying to skip lines :confused:

All the issues you've listed that you encounter at parades are issues that I have with my daughter. I know I said we don't sit through parades because of the wait but there's a lot more to it than that. The close proximity to so many people is just not something she can cope with, especially not for prolonged periods of time. It's just her reality. If I plan strategically, I can actually get her a viewing spot that works and we have done that a few times in all of our trips. I just don't see why I should ask for an accomodation for something that I can do myself just like anybody else. Since I can do it, I try to remain respectful of those who have no other options and not take one of their limited spots. You said yourself that you can see the parades just fine during the day. This is just like my daughter being able to cope if I plan correctly and choose a parade time that's not as busy and choose a viewing area that's not as crouded (touring plan services really do help figure this kind of thing out). Yes, we're more limited than the majority of guests, but that's the fault of her disability, not Disney. That accessible viewing area actually is very crowded and will not prevent us from being bumped or crowded into a small space. Oh, and typically they won't allow a large group like you described sit in the accessible viewing area. If you do choose to sit in there and you're travelling with a group, be prepared to be separated from them. That's something that folks with mobility devices who sit in that area have to deal with right now so that will now be your difficulty as well. It's very unfortunate but the seating is limitted and it's the only way to ensure as many people as possible who need the accessible viewing area can use it.The parade viewing is a big deal to others, not just me, it was in the lawsuit. I don't need to explain any of this to anyone. Sorry if that is rude, but true. It is now going to be mandatory for Disney to provide it. I also explained it to you in a previous post anyway.

In restaurants, I'm surprised that you've had trouble getting servers to read to you. They work for tips. When I worked in restaurants, I would have gladly read for a guest if asked. Personally, I'd always have a small flashlight to brighten my menu if I couldn't see in dark places but I also wouldn't be shy about asking for my server to read to me. If the server refused I'd ask to be moved to the station of a server who wants to work for their tip. That's what people who work in the service industry who rely on tips are supposed to do, provide service. What a poor server if they refuse.
As far as asking them to read it to me, sure, if they aren't busy they can. If they are busy, they won't and legally as per ADA guidelines they must provide for you with this. It isn't me making this up, it isn't me asking for something special. My 2 DD's are servers and they have read to those with vision impairments. My one DD had to go as far as taking the man's wallet and money to cover the check for him. He was totally blind. So yes, there are super servers out there, then there are the busy overworked ones who will not stop and take the time to read. yes, I do carry a small flash light, but the one I have isn't working for me anymore. It doesn't light up enough for me. I need something bright, not a small light. In fact, a friend of mine just got me a pen light to carry. I tried it at the MK to read my Sorcerer Cards..and it didn't work either, not bright enough unless I am under one of their lights in addition to the pen light. She had to read it to me. :confused3
I don't understand your reasoning for getting upset with people with other disabilities or difficulties that are accomodated. I get that you feel that you're not recieving acceptable accomodations and I'm not you and don't know what you go through. I do see you rant against others though as though you feel if you aren't getting what you need then nobody should. I'm really sorry that you feel this way and are this upset. Others receiving accomodations does not take away from your situation. If others were to lose accomodations that would not help you. You're directing your frustration to the wrong place. Those with other disabilities, whether temporary or permanent, whether fully legally recognized as disabled or merely having some problem that requires help, are not the problem. I am not directing my frustrations out in the worng place, I am directing them at Disney, not the other people. It is wrong for Disney to do this, the others aren't the ones who set up the rules and areas. By me asking for what the ADA states I should be getting isn't asking for anything special, why would you even think that way? I used a sprained ankle or broken leg/foot as examples of conditions that are not covered under ADA guidelines, yet Disney allows for them to go on without being questioned. That is the point I am trying to get across, but I don't think you are getting that. Conditions that are under the guidelines are being questioned and not addressed, yet those that aren't under guidelines are treated as if they are. Do you see my point now? :upsidedow

I'm curious about something. In hotels around the country, does somebody give you a run down of locations in your room? I honestly can see how this could be immensely beneficial. I'm wondering if it's something that other companies do. Is this something that would really be required under the ADA? Again, I see how it would be really a great thing to do but I'm not sure I see how not doing it would be an ADA violation. The reason I'm asking if this is something that other hotels do is the I believe one of the things in the lawsuit was a requirement that WDW do this (maybe I remember wrong; I don't feel like going back and checking right now). When I am in a hotel/timeshare condo alone, yes, I have them come in and show me. I also request for the 1st floor. I don't want to take the chance of a fire or other emergency at night and not be able to see to find my way down a flight of stairs. I learned to always request that due to my DH's experiences.
I hope you can see things from a different light.. things are no bed of roses for me.. the way I mistook your tone, is the way you mistake mine. ;) and yes, everything that I have asked of Disney is covered by the ADA guidelines. I am not asking for anything different than any other low vision person. Despite what you feel my tone may be, I do have this, it will never go away, and only get worse. I am frankly tired of having to explain to others why I feel I need something. Visual Impairments are not taken seriously by many. It is something that is very easily over looked because you cannot see any indications of it. Trying to explain it to someone that you cannot see on the side of you, or you cannot see at night makes no sense to them. They look at you, see you are not blind and therefore feel you don't need that accommadation. :sad2: One can turn the other cheek so many times before it starts to hurt.........

If you want to know why this class action lawsuit is so messed up, check this out. All of the plaintiffs signed a contract stating that they would not ask or receive any money from this class action lawsuit. From the very start one of the plaintiffs told both sides that she would not accept any money. “I don’t what any money. I what Disney to fix the problems”. Because of this she was removed as Class Representative. But she was still part of the lawsuit. In court on May 3 2012 she asked judge Gee if they were going to fix the problems at the hotels. Mr. Raizman the head Disney lawyer said that Disney would not be fixing the Hotels. (Read the class action certification). Then the judge tried twice to get the plaintiff to take Disney bribe money. When she said no, Judge Gee then asked her if she wanted to be removed from the case. When she realized that the judge was on Disney side she said ok. The only plaintiff willing to fight for the blind and she was removed from the case. Do not take my word for it, check out the court transcript. The judge did not know what state the plaintiff lived in.

If you want to know why this class action lawsuit is so messed up, check this out. All of the plaintiffs signed a contract stating that they would not ask or receive any money from this class action lawsuit. From the very start one of the plaintiffs told both sides that she would not accept any money. “I don’t what any money. I what Disney to fix the problems”. Because of this she was removed as Class Representative. But she was still part of the lawsuit. In court on May 3 2012 she asked judge Gee if they were going to fix the problems at the hotels. Mr. Raizman the head Disney lawyer said that Disney would not be fixing the Hotels. (Read the class action certification). Then the judge tried twice to get the plaintiff to take Disney bribe money. When she said no, Judge Gee then asked her if she wanted to be removed from the case. When she realized that the judge was on Disney side she said ok. The only plaintiff willing to fight for the blind and she was removed from the case. Do not take my word for it, check out the court transcript. The judge did not know what state the plaintiff lived in.
:( now that is sad.. If you are doing if for the reason of changing something, then that is what you do it for. You don't do it for money. Money is truly the root of all evil. Either way, it did change things though. so regardless, I am still happy about that part of it. It isn't right how it came about. Maybe the money that was awarded should have been donated (as a stipulation in the case) to a foundation for research in different areas of what causes visual impairments.. or maybe to Lighthouse which is an organization that helps those who are blind or with low vision.

I am VERY interested in the whole outcome of this.

it is so annoying when people belittle the problems of the visually impaired. people think.. you are either blind.. or not.

you get it from both ends.. the totally sighted and the totally blind.

thank you so much, mickey fan, for being an advocate for my hubby and others!!!

I hope you can see things from a different light.. things are no bed of roses for me.. the way I mistook your tone, is the way you mistake mine. ;) and yes, everything that I have asked of Disney is covered by the ADA guidelines. I am not asking for anything different than any other low vision person. Despite what you feel my tone may be, I do have this, it will never go away, and only get worse. I am frankly tired of having to explain to others why I feel I need something. Visual Impairments are not taken seriously by many. It is something that is very easily over looked because you cannot see any indications of it. Trying to explain it to someone that you cannot see on the side of you, or you cannot see at night makes no sense to them. They look at you, see you are not blind and therefore feel you don't need that accommadation. :sad2: One can turn the other cheek so many times before it starts to hurt.........

Does using a red colored font help your condition? It hurts my eyes, but I was wondering if it helped yours?

it is so annoying when people belittle the problems of the visually impaired. people think.. you are either blind.. or not.

Same thing with deafness. To most it is black or white. Either you are deaf or you can hear everything. Wish it were so.

Have a friend who is deaf/blind and people ask why she wears glasses. She has macular degeneration and still has limited periferal vision but her central vision are toast. She wearsthem so she can see with the limited vision she has.

Does using a red colored font help your condition? It hurts my eyes, but I was wondering if it helped yours?

it makes it easier to spot for me.. doesn't hurt it at all.. bold makes it easier to read.. but my problem is mainly in the dark. With my glasses I can read fine.. but the red does help me spot it much faster... I know when the police cars have their red lights on.. I see them better than the blue lights.. some use only blue and those I don't see well

Sorry if the red "hurt" your eyes.. didn't mean it to...

Same thing with deafness. To most it is black or white. Either you are deaf or you can hear everything. Wish it were so.

Have a friend who is deaf/blind and people ask why she wears glasses. She has macular degeneration and still has limited periferal vision but her central vision are toast. She wearsthem so she can see with the limited vision she has.

some people just don't get it.. that was like when someone here commented that I should not be driving.. :rotfl: My eye doc says it's fine to drive, for now. I just don't drive at night.... :upsidedow that is where I cannot see.. during the day I can... some just cannot comprehend what they do not understand.. and they don't even try at times either...

Hey.. no need to thank me... thank you.. we are in the same boat here.. we "see" the same way in that there is a gray area when it comes to sight.. it isn't just clear sighted or blind... It is sad that some can be so narrow minded when to comes to something they take for granted...:sad2:

some people just don't get it.. that was like when someone here commented that I should not be driving.. :rotfl: My eye doc says it's fine to drive, for now. I just don't drive at night.... :upsidedow that is where I cannot see.. during the day I can... some just cannot comprehend what they do not understand.. and they don't even try at times either...

i understand.. that was said about hubby, too. they are wrong. if it was unsafe, he would not do it. (he doesn't drive at night anymore either).

IO try not to be pushy, but when we go to someone's house, I ask if they can turn on the lights (or turn them up). (you would think our friends and family would know by now...:confused3)

This is the old Tiiiigergirl for any who remember me :D

I think many of us with disabilities have been judged unfairly. My adult son with autism has had good and bad days at WDW. One time he screamed to the top of his lungs at the entrance of EPCOT that he wanted a new family. Surprisingly nobody took him up on it. :lmao:

But other days he almost "passes" for "normal"whatever that is? :confused3

And on some days I seem to walk just great. Other days I look like a drunken sailor only I hope cleaner and smell better. I have neighbors whose hobby is commenting on the state they think my disabilities are. Unfortunately with Lupus and Crohns the way I'm walking usually has nothing to do with how I'm feeling but I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

One story I've kept in my heart for years and it came from Sue M. She talked about her daughter getting a nice rest on a bench out of her wheelchair. The change in positions was refreshing for her (and occasionally necessary). Her daughter's thin little legs were swinging slightly as I think either Sue or her husband had just settled her on the bench. Then comes along the ill informed Disney goer who accuses the family of trying to cheat the system (with their expensive child wheelchair:confused3). I don't even remember what Sue said or did I just know it was classy as only Sue can be. Sue is never a pushover but she always seems kind and infinitely patient.

I guess no matter the disability I for one am on your side as long as it is reasonable and everything here usually is.

I told my son a long time ago his life will be harder than others but that will never stop me from trying to make it easier.

This is the old Tiiiigergirl for any who remember me :D

I think many of us with disabilities have been judged unfairly. My adult son with autism has had good and bad days at WDW. One time he screamed to the top of his lungs at the entrance of EPCOT that he wanted a new family. Surprisingly nobody took him up on it. :lmao:

But other days he almost "passes" for "normal"whatever that is? :confused3

And on some days I seem to walk just great. Other days I look like a drunken sailor only I hope cleaner and smell better. I have neighbors whose hobby is commenting on the state they think my disabilities are. Unfortunately with Lupus and Crohns the way I'm walking usually has nothing to do with how I'm feeling but I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

One story I've kept in my heart for years and it came from Sue M. She talked about her daughter getting a nice rest on a bench out of her wheelchair. The change in positions was refreshing for her (and occasionally necessary). Her daughter's thin little legs were swinging slightly as I think either Sue or her husband had just settled her on the bench. Then comes along the ill informed Disney goer who accuses the family of trying to cheat the system (with their expensive child wheelchair:confused3). I don't even remember what Sue said or did I just know it was classy as only Sue can be. Sue is never a pushover but she always seems kind and infinitely patient.

I guess no matter the disability I for one am on your side as long as it is reasonable and everything here usually is.

I told my son a long time ago his life will be harder than others but that will never stop me from trying to make it easier.
:goodvibes:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
Thank you, for your kind heart.

I was shocked and just looked at them. Then I cried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter