Disney after minor surgery

CalsMomma

Earning My Ears
I’m scheduled for an abdominal laparoscopy next week, just 3 weeks before our long-awaited Disney/Universal trip. Doctor says I’ll be ok to go, as long as everything goes as planned (simple cyst removal). Obviously if there are complications, the trip is off...and if we do go I will take it easy and avoid the wilder rides. Anyone have experiences doing Disney after a recent surgery? How did you feel, any must-avoids? I REALLY don’t want to cancel this trip as it’s our first time back to Disney in 5 years...

I’m scheduled for an abdominal laparoscopy next week, just 3 weeks before our long-awaited Disney/Universal trip. Doctor says I’ll be ok to go, as long as everything goes as planned (simple cyst removal). Obviously if there are complications, the trip is off...and if we do go I will take it easy and avoid the wilder rides. Anyone have experiences doing Disney after a recent surgery? How did you feel, any must-avoids? I REALLY don’t want to cancel this trip as it’s our first time back to Disney in 5 years...

I don’t have any experience of heading to Disney right after surgery but a few years ago I had a similar surgery to yours only mine involved a laparoscopic removal of both ovaries. Three weeks after my surgery I felt good enough to head back to the climbing gym for some rock climbing. Now, that was a bit of a stupid choice so while I would not recommend rock climbing 3 weeks after surgery, I don’t think I would have been concerned about a Disney trip with all that entails.

Enjoy yourself and take things day by day! Listen to your body and enjoy the trip.

I've had your procedure done before and it really varies on a person by person case of how you will feel.

I'd take it easy and see how I was doing and also make sure the doctor approves certain activities in the parks while youre there. The last thing you want is something unfortunate to happen or cause you issues.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes well with it and your trip! :)

I had a surprise appendectomy on my 2nd day at Disney. I went to Epcot and saw the candlelight processional 2 days later. I was very tired the next day.

And this was open surgery not laparoscopic.

Be sure that your surgeon remembers you are planning to go to WDW, and have someone ask them after the surgery if it's still OK - you may be too groggy to discuss it or remember the conversation.

It will be *hot* during your trip - make sure you plan to stay cool and hydrated! You may find that you wear out a bit more easily than normal, so be ready to adjust your plan accordingly, and remember that midday nap breaks at the Resort can be a great way to recharge your batteries! :) I know you will have a great time - congratulations on your trip, and I will hold a happy thought for you!

I wasn't there after surgery, but I was really sick on our last trip. So just in case you do need medical assistance, WDW is a great place to be! They have a free shuttle that takes you to urgent care and back, and a free ambulance to the hospital too - yup, two new rides at WDW I don't want to do ever again, LOL!

Good luck with the surgery. Everyone recovers differently so it's hard to really predict how you will be. I had an abdominal laparoscopy severalsevera ago to remove a bunch of scar tissue, then a laparoscopic hysterectomy a couple years ago. The first one I was sore for about 10 days, then completely back to normal. The second one took about a month but was also only 3 months after a C-section and was dealing with an infant, so recovery was just harder. I didn't go to the parks after either surgery but only really was given restrictions on some activities for a couple weeks.

One thing that I will point out, due to the location of the incisions, if they are near your waistband, I'd be sure to wear some loose clothing to the parks.

Be sure that your surgeon remembers you are planning to go to WDW, and have someone ask them after the surgery if it's still OK - you may be too groggy to discuss it or remember the conversation.
Good point...I will have to trust DH to ask those questions!

I wasn't there after surgery, but I was really sick on our last trip. So just in case you do need medical assistance, WDW is a great place to be! They have a free shuttle that takes you to urgent care and back, and a free ambulance to the hospital too - yup, two new rides at WDW I don't want to do ever again, LOL!
Ahhhh...no, I don’t want to ride either of those...but good to know they’re there!!

One thing that I will point out, due to the location of the incisions, if they are near your waistband, I'd be sure to wear some loose clothing to the parks.
Another good point...and maybe a reason to spring for a new dress

Thanks all for the encouragement and advice! I don’t know why medical issues can’t just respect our Disney schedules and come at a more convenient time :rolleyes1

Don't forget First Aid in the Parks - you can always go in there and rest for up to an hour at a time!

I would say that the biggest problem I had after abdominal surgery was getting over the side effects of anesthesia. I wanted to take a nap every morning after I got the kids out of the house. No pain really after a couple of days, but being overly tired was a real issue.

I’ve had 2 laparoscopies for endometriosis and was 90% back to normal within a week. The trapped gas in the abdominal cavity was the worst part for me.

I went 6 weeks after having my gall bladder out. Doctor cleared me to go on everything I wanted to go on. I was noticeably more tired that I typically am. And on BTMR my abdomen hit the safety bar, which freaked me out a bit. So try and be aware of where your incisions are. I agree that you won't want any clothing or bag that will rub on any of your sore spots.

Don't push yourself too much, and listen to your body. Take breaks when you feel you need them. I hope everything goes well, and you have a great trip!

I had a similar procedure done. Not before Disney but 8 days prior to leaving for overseas trip. Everyone is different. I knew I would bounce back quickly if surgery went according to plan, which it did. I did request no pre-medication/sedatives. It's not a typical request. I was not at all groggy within 15 minutes of waking up from end of surgery. Rested for the rest of that day. Was essentially back in business to put my kid to bed that night. And zero pain 36 hours later. Were it not for the healing surgical site, would not have known anything had happened. Had no effect on my trip (just like surgeon predicted).

I went to disney about a month after laproscopic gall bladder removal. The issue I had was that my stamina was low and the heat sapped that stamina even more. You may still be on lifting restrictions I was at the time still and that honestly was more of a burden then the stamina since I could easily just go sit down.

I still had an awesome trip and went to MNSSHP during it all dressed up like usual, I just had to sit around and people watch more then usual. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have if you have more.

I had that done several years ago. I did not have a trip planned but I was a bit sore in the 2 spots they went into me but other then that I was fine. Pretty much back to normal in a few days.

I had a surgery 2 weeks ago, and we're leaving for WDW in 3 weeks. As you know, summer is super humid there. So I've been outdoors walking as much as possible to get ready for the trip. I'm prepared to send the rest of the family to the parks if I'm having an off day down there and need to stay in the room. Good luck!!

I was scheduled for a lap procedure which turned out to require more invasive surgery. Go figure. I was back at work within 2 weeks b/c we needed the money at the time, but I was so tired and so sore that the week three was almost more than I could manage.

My best advice - plan to take the trip slowly. Stay hydrated. Schedule breaks into your day. Loose clothing is your friend. And do not think it's bad if you have to say to your family that you need to rest. You can always catch up with them later in the day.

Good luck with the procedure and have fun on your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!