**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

The event is 3 hours, which means there are only 9 - 20 minute blocks of time. Assuming waiting 20 minutes doesn't include the actual ride time and walking to the next ride, this means 7 rides in 3 hours?

I hope you are all writing to Disney about this.

This is why we are having trouble committing nearly $600 for the 4 of us in Aug. We don’t want to feel like we wasted our money... That is a lot of $$$ for some theming, magic shots and a couple of ride enhancements. If the event was 5 hours, the value would go up for us significantly with the crowd levels we are reading about.

My personal opinion, having done 2 regular MK AH and 2 Villains AH, regular AH events are better for filling your ride quota. Villains is better for atmosphere and theming. It all depends where your interests lie.

We approached Villains After Hours from the perspective of wanting to experience the villains theming: magic shots, music, food, decor and spectacles. We wanted to ride rides also, but we stuck to the 3 (honorable mention for TTA People Mover) rides that were unique to the party. We figured we could ride everything else any regular ol' MK day. We loved the atmosphere, so we didn't leave disappointed.
I agree with you. Our focus was rides so we found this event fun but not nearly as fun ride wise as the non villains event we just did in April.

The event is 3 hours, which means there are only 9 - 20 minute blocks of time. Assuming waiting 20 minutes doesn't include the actual ride time and walking to the next ride, this means 7 rides in 3 hours?

I hope you are all writing to Disney about this.
In one night, between 10 and 1, we:
- rode 5 rides
- sat and ate a treat at Tortuga Tavern
- sat and ate treats at Cool Ship
- stopped once for free water and popcorn
- got the Maleficent Magic Shot
- got the Oogie Boogie Magic Shot x2 (long story)
- watched the Train Station villains
- staked out a spot for Maleficent
- had at least one bathroom break (probably three)

If we hadn't been interested in the treats or Magic Shots, we could've EASILY been on 12 - 14 rides.

I think the villains event had the same rides as the non villains event correct? Just no meet and greets. I wonder if this added to the waits that we are seeing at the villains event. Just trying to figure out why the big difference unless they are just selling more tickets. :confused3

We were able to get on a lot of rides when we did VAH but there weren’t many we rode again and we definitely couldn’t stay on any of the ones we did. I liked how at DAH we were able to use the reride line for space and that wasn’t an option at VAH. I liked both for different reasons. I LOVED the dj and dance party at VAH and the overall atmosphere.

In one night, between 10 and 1, we:
- rode 5 rides
- sat and ate a treat at Tortuga Tavern
- sat and ate treats at Cool Ship
- stopped once for free water and popcorn
- got the Maleficent Magic Shot
- got the Oogie Boogie Magic Shot x2 (long story)
- watched the Train Station villains
- staked out a spot for Maleficent
- had at least one bathroom break (probably three)

If we hadn't been interested in the treats or Magic Shots, we could've EASILY been on 12 - 14 rides.
We rode 9 rides while our girls rode 7 due to being in a long line for space. We got treats twice and did no magic shots or shows. We did get our ornaments. We left right at one. Maybe we just did the whole event wrong, but we did way less rides than our last AH with none of the villains extras. I think if we would have been into the villains stuff we maybe would have enjoyed it more.

We rode 9 rides while our girls rode 7 due to being in a long line for space. We got treats twice and did no magic shots or shows. We did get our ornaments. We left right at one. Maybe we just did the whole event wrong, but we did way less rides than our last AH with none of the villains extras. I think if we would have been into the villains stuff we maybe would have enjoyed it more.
I don't think you did anything wrong. Hopefully you rolled with it, and did stuff that you wanted. You averaged 3 rides, plus either a treat or ornaments, per hour.

IF someone were looking to slip more rides in, I would suggest ditching the treats and ornaments, and also being in line for one last ride at 1am. It also doesn't hurt to be lined up a few minutes before 10pm for a ride. By lining up for PotC at 9:50pm, we boarded the first boat with the overlay. We were back outside shortly after, looking at a posted 25 minute wait.

Who knows what’s up with the guest count at these VAH events, but all of this chirping is eerily reminiscent of last year mid Summer. Go back to the reviews of mid to late July 2018 and you’ll find many scathing ones.

Granted, the complaint at the time was people abusing lanyards and such leading to many extra people in the park, but inevitably some of it was warm weather, summer break with no bedtimes, lots of people at the event. Probably some of the same this year.

And Disney didn’t change their wording from “little to no” to “low” wait times for nothing, plus add lots of merchandise, extras, stage shows, ride overlays, etc. This thing is like DAH on steroids with added costs.

Not dismissing the complaints, but can’t say I’m surprised. Someone upthread said it very well in that they would have been better to brand this something else outside of the After Hours brand. I suspect I will feel the same once I see it for myself.

Anyways, carry on, just my two cents.

Who knows what’s up with the guest count at these VAH events, but all of this chirping is eerily reminiscent of last year mid Summer. Go back to the reviews of mid to late July 2018 and you’ll find many scathing ones.

Granted, the complaint at the time was people abusing lanyards and such leading to many extra people in the park, but inevitably some of it was warm weather, summer break with no bedtimes, lots of people at the event. Probably some of the same this year.

And Disney didn’t change their wording from “little to no” to “low” wait times for nothing, plus add lots of merchandise, extras, stage shows, ride overlays, etc. This thing is like DAH on steroids with added costs.

Not dismissing the complaints, but can’t say I’m surprised. Someone upthread said it very well in that they would have been better to brand this something else outside of the After Hours brand. I suspect I will feel the same once I see it for myself.

Anyways, carry on, just my two cents.
Yep we went last July and it was very busy compared to our other DAH events. I remember emailing about it. It was mainly for the lanyard sharing but it just felt crowded

We went on the opening sold out event. But to me, it was still reminiscent of the 2AM 3 hour EMH of 2010ish. As the night wore on, the shorter the lines became. Never empty, but low crowds. Honestly, I don’t think they are selling more, just that more people are purchasing. I think some of the earlier DAH were just insanely low. Who else, besides me, has gone to a sold out VAH event that can compare? I’m on record saying a sold out VAH was still better for rides than EMH. But who has gone to a sold out DAH and VAH that can compare?

We went on the opening sold out event. But to me, it was still reminiscent of the 2AM 3 hour EMH of 2010ish. As the night wore on, the shorter the lines became. Never empty, but low crowds. Honestly, I don’t think they are selling more, just that more people are purchasing. I think some of the earlier DAH were just insanely low. Who else, besides me, has gone to a sold out VAH event that can compare? I’m on record saying a sold out VAH was still better for rides than EMH. But who has gone to a sold out DAH and VAH that can compare?
I’ve been to a sold out DAH and a non sold out VAH and the crowds were vastly different. They definitely sell more tickets for VAH and it makes sense because they added a whole stage show, merch, special snacks, and maleficent comes through. They have to pay for those somehow. I still think it was much better than an EMH. EMH has become pointless to me now unless it’s in the morning

Just caught up on the last week’s posts and just posting to say....I’m really glad I got fp on our VAH night for 7dmt and Space. Don’t really care about the Space overlay, so that will help with fitting as much in to our night as we can!

I’ve been to a sold out DAH and a non sold out VAH and the crowds were vastly different. They definitely sell more tickets for VAH and it makes sense because they added a whole stage show, merch, special snacks, and maleficent comes through. They have to pay for those somehow. I still think it was much better than an EMH. EMH has become pointless to me now unless it’s in the morning

Thanks for that comparison! I’ll be curious to see if they increase the number of tickets when they go back to regular DAH (if demand is there).

We went to VAH on July 1 and then did EMH on July 3 from 12-2. I know this is not a typical EMH these days for MK, but it was nice. It was not crowded at all. Granted I went in with no expectations, but I was shocked at how many rides we were able to do. There was definitely less people that night, compared to VAH two nights before. We ended up leaving around 1:30, because we had done everything we wanted to do. I thought it was ironic that I spent $139 plus tax per person and the place was busy. But EMH was free and it felt like a ghost town!

We went to VAH on July 1 and then did EMH on July 3 from 12-2. I know this is not a typical EMH these days for MK, but it was nice. It was not crowded at all. Granted I went in with no expectations, but I was shocked at how many rides we were able to do. There was definitely less people that night, compared to VAH two nights before. We ended up leaving around 1:30, because we had done everything we wanted to do. I thought it was ironic that I spent $139 plus tax per person and the place was busy. But EMH was free and it felt like a ghost town!
That's interesting! Too bad those 12-2 EMH are so rare! We're getting one from 11-1, and it seems like that's about the best you can hope for these days most of the time. I think in 2010 we did one that was 12-2, and I remember it being amazing!

That's interesting! Too bad those 12-2 EMH are so rare! We're getting one from 11-1, and it seems like that's about the best you can hope for these days most of the time. I think in 2010 we did one that was 12-2, and I remember it being amazing!
Yes...I was expecting it to be packed considering it was the day before the 4th of July. I figured that's why Disney set up such late hours in the first place. This was also one of the 2 nights they ran the special patriotic fireworks. So indeed, I was pleasantly surprised when it appeared many folks didn't take advantage of the extra hours.

Hopefully your 11-1 EMH will be low crowds. Those are good hours too!

I don't think you did anything wrong. Hopefully you rolled with it, and did stuff that you wanted. You averaged 3 rides, plus either a treat or ornaments, per hour.

IF someone were looking to slip more rides in, I would suggest ditching the treats and ornaments, and also being in line for one last ride at 1am. It also doesn't hurt to be lined up a few minutes before 10pm for a ride. By lining up for PotC at 9:50pm, we boarded the first boat with the overlay. We were back outside shortly after, looking at a posted 25 minute wait.
when you say you lined up for POTC at 9:50, did you actually get in line or just wait at the ride que to go in at 10? Just trying to figure out strategy for the night we go. Thanks

when you say you lined up for POTC at 9:50, did you actually get in line or just wait at the ride que to go in at 10? Just trying to figure out strategy for the night we go. Thanks
Inside the building, they held us in a separate line until 10pm, if we wanted to be first. They were lining us up off to the left of the regular pathway inside the building. At 9:50, we were numbers 5 and 6 in line. Shortly before they let us in, the line had grown considerably. There were at least 20 to 30 people behind us. If all else fails, ask a castmember where to line up for the villains version of PotC, and they'll point you in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter