**Disney After Hours-Hollywood Studios** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Oops, did it again.

😇

For the record, I wasn’t being critical of anyone posting here, I just chuckle a little every time I see a notification.

But you know, the one time it is because they released something is the time I won’t check - guaranteed :laughing:

I would say it shouldn’t matter, because DAHs don’t sell out much or fast, but if they release one with SWGE it’s an entirely different ballgame.

Personally I think February is way to soon to expect to see this event return, but I would love to be wrong since we have a trip the first week.
I'm curious. Why do you think it's too early to bring it back? Disney seems to be all about these hard ticket, double admission days. HS seems like a great way to take advantage of that now. Especially once ROTR opens.

I'm curious. Why do you think it's too early to bring it back? Disney seems to be all about these hard ticket, double admission days. HS seems like a great way to take advantage of that now. Especially once ROTR opens.
IDK, they just don’t seem to be on the ball with new things. It seems like they were prepared for GE to be so packed they couldn’t give up the 3 hrs after parks close because they would need so many regular hours just to handle the crowds. Then when that didn’t pan out, they think it may happen when the second ride opens. So whether that happens or not, unless they are already planning the DHS after hours I don’t think they’ll have it together enough to start anything in Feb. I also am afraid that they may come up with a new paid concept to let you experience Galaxy’s edge that will be different and more expensive than the typical after hours. Like along the lines of the night of thrills or whatever they call it at AK that includes Pandora, or adding it into the Star Wars tours they offer (or offered, not sure it they are still happening) and raising that price considerably. To just offer after hours as we know it for $99-$150 depending seems like a steal now to get on all of the toy Story rides and both Star Wars rides with no lines, so either the price is to go up or the crowds will go up and defeat the purpose. I really hope I’m wrong though.

IDK, they just don’t seem to be on the ball with new things. It seems like they were prepared for GE to be so packed they couldn’t give up the 3 hrs after parks close because they would need so many regular hours just to handle the crowds. Then when that didn’t pan out, they think it may happen when the second ride opens. So whether that happens or not, unless they are already planning the DHS after hours I don’t think they’ll have it together enough to start anything in Feb. I also am afraid that they may come up with a new paid concept to let you experience Galaxy’s edge that will be different and more expensive than the typical after hours. Like along the lines of the night of thrills or whatever they call it at AK that includes Pandora, or adding it into the Star Wars tours they offer (or offered, not sure it they are still happening) and raising that price considerably. To just offer after hours as we know it for $99-$150 depending seems like a steal now to get on all of the toy Story rides and both Star Wars rides with no lines, so either the price is to go up or the crowds will go up and defeat the purpose. I really hope I’m wrong though.
My guess is they are waiting to see how ROTR opens. But at the end of the day, there is no way they are going to keep those new flagship rides in the dark, if they can get more money out of our pockets.

My guess is they are waiting to see how ROTR opens. But at the end of the day, there is no way they are going to keep those new flagship rides in the dark, if they can get more money out of our pockets.
If ROTR is as lengthy of a ride as I’ve been hearing it won’t lend itself well to these kind of events. After hours might work ok, you just won’t get as many possible re-rides as you would on typical rides, but EMM seems like it wouldn’t work at all. Everyone would rush to one ride and then spend the entire event waiting and riding the one huge ride.

If ROTR is as lengthy of a ride as I’ve been hearing it won’t lend itself well to these kind of events. After hours might work ok, you just won’t get as many possible re-rides as you would on typical rides, but EMM seems like it wouldn’t work at all. Everyone would rush to one ride and then spend the entire event waiting and riding the one huge ride.
I agree with this. I would not do an EMM there for the exact reason you gave. But an AF event I think would work OK. They now have enough "tier 1" rides to spread people out (even if GE will get the bulk like Pandora).

I might be a bit of a cynic here... but if WDW actually released an AH for DHS with the release of the new GE for December 2019 (do it it super late at night -- midnight to 3AM --- if they need to handle the extra regular crowds.) They could upcharge that even more (make it 159 or more probably - my group would have paid that or more for it) and people would buy it as long as the wait times were about 30 minutes for the new stuff --- if they kept the load at the Toy Story and Sunset Blvd areas even tighter (10 to 15 minutes maybe) they could make bucketloads of money. So surprised that they haven't done this. Most businesses seem to monetize new stuff well.... WDW not so much .... WDW world seems to only want to monetize after it's been around for a long time.

I might be a bit of a cynic here... but if WDW actually released an AH for DHS with the release of the new GE for December 2019 (do it it super late at night -- midnight to 3AM --- if they need to handle the extra regular crowds.) They could upcharge that even more (make it 159 or more probably - my group would have paid that or more for it) and people would buy it as long as the wait times were about 30 minutes for the new stuff --- if they kept the load at the Toy Story and Sunset Blvd areas even tighter (10 to 15 minutes maybe) they could make bucketloads of money. So surprised that they haven't done this. Most businesses seem to monetize new stuff well.... WDW not so much .... WDW world seems to only want to monetize after it's been around for a long time.
They could do something like that - paid event from mn-3am- and initially people would do it and be excited. However; I think in the grand scheme the people willing to do those hours are limited since it would kind of shoot 2 days for all but the hardiest of people lol! Plus they need some overnight hours to prep the park for the next day, and have to fully staff for those hrs, etc...I think something like that is pretty far fetched and unlikely, except maybe as a one time special event or something like the 24 hr events they had for a while.

I do agree that for some reason they don’t do the extra paid events right away, which would make them tons of money. IDK why, and part of me would love them to do it but part of me is happy to not have to stress over booking it and how much it would cost, etc...

despite saying that, if they did it and it wasn’t the middle of the night we would probably be sitting at the computer to book it the day it was released- but with 4 or 6 people depending on which kids go, there is an upper limit of what we would spend. We put a big emphasis on time is money and really hate standing in line, so we might spend more than many, but we certainly wouldn’t spend an unlimited amount and I can certainly see Disney choosing a price that would make us decide to pass. For example, that night of thrills tour or whatever it is called at the AK that got you into the main rides including FOP was more time and money than we were willing to give. But we could get a FP for the main ride in that case, with DHS you have to pick one of the main rides and the 2 rides that people really want don’t even have the option (which I think is smart of them and like, BTW). Plus if the lines weren’t nonexistent and the price was high, people (myself included) would not be happy.

Sorry to send the alert out again for no reason 😆

Personally I think February is way to soon to expect to see this event return, but I would love to be wrong since we have a trip the first week.

I agree but I will keep an eye out. There will be a event at Animal Kingdom we could attend but DH would love to do a HS one.

They could do something like that - paid event from mn-3am- and initially people would do it and be excited. However; I think in the grand scheme the people willing to do those hours are limited since it would kind of shoot 2 days for all but the hardiest of people lol! Plus they need some overnight hours to prep the park for the next day, and have to fully staff for those hrs, etc...I think something like that is pretty far fetched and unlikely, except maybe as a one time special event or something like the 24 hr events they had for a while.

I do agree that for some reason they don’t do the extra paid events right away, which would make them tons of money. IDK why, and part of me would love them to do it but part of me is happy to not have to stress over booking it and how much it would cost, etc...

despite saying that, if they did it and it wasn’t the middle of the night we would probably be sitting at the computer to book it the day it was released- but with 4 or 6 people depending on which kids go, there is an upper limit of what we would spend. We put a big emphasis on time is money and really hate standing in line, so we might spend more than many, but we certainly wouldn’t spend an unlimited amount and I can certainly see Disney choosing a price that would make us decide to pass. For example, that night of thrills tour or whatever it is called at the AK that got you into the main rides including FOP was more time and money than we were willing to give. But we could get a FP for the main ride in that case, with DHS you have to pick one of the main rides and the 2 rides that people really want don’t even have the option (which I think is smart of them and like, BTW). Plus if the lines weren’t nonexistent and the price was high, people (myself included) would not be happy.

Sorry to send the alert out again for no reason 😆
I don't for a minute expect that it would be something that would be long-runnish.... but for a short term cash grab it makes 100% sense (especially in hours the park wouldn't normally be open.) Really doing this satisfies both the non-extras customers base (no DP, no DAH, no EMM, no tours, etc... ) as it means their wait may be mitigated because those that are willing to pay are willing to do it in paid after hours will opt for other stuff during regular hours (Pixar, TOT, RRCC, etcc.). For those of us that do buy extras maybe they can milk 6 months to a year from it.... There really are few other businesses who look at what their initial offering is and determine that for an initial real release that it doesn't have an initial premium value. Really how many people would cancel their December reservations because they offer extra options (when even as it currently exists that on site guests can't even book FP for some of the GE attactions now) for December which occur outside of normal operating hours?

I don't think I ever intimated that it would be a long term thing --- novelty is a short term thing but WDW seems like an organization that would appreciate that) December is busy and if you can alleviate load during regular hours for new DHS content it seems pretty myopic to not try to offer more options.... Yeah ... maybe 6 months to a year from now it doesn't make sense but by then some of the Epcot stuff should be coming on line that they could offer extras for that.

Last edited:
Following. We are going to Orlando for Spring Break. We aren’t doing any regular Disney days this trip but I am planning two DAH. I already bought tickets to MK but am waiting to buy the AK night in hopes that HS nights will be released. We haven’t seen Pandora yet but HS is my kids favorite park even without all the new stuff (which we also haven’t seen) so I would jump on that if they came out and were reasonably priced. I will be heartbroken if they release an event that is too much $$ for me to justify.

Following. We are going to Orlando for Spring Break. We aren’t doing any regular Disney days this trip but I am planning two DAH. I already bought tickets to MK but am waiting to buy the AK night in hopes that HS nights will be released. We haven’t seen Pandora yet but HS is my kids favorite park even without all the new stuff (which we also haven’t seen) so I would jump on that if they came out and were reasonably priced. I will be heartbroken if they release an event that is too much $$ for me to justify.
We are crossing our fingers too, but not counting on it, for Spring Break 2020.

Does anyone think the addition of Villains after hours to regular MK AH in the Friday time slot that DHS AH uses to occupy means they are not intending to have AH at DHS? I wonder if the lower than expected attendance has anything to do with that.

Does anyone think the addition of Villains after hours to regular MK AH in the Friday time slot that DHS AH uses to occupy means they are not intending to have AH at DHS? I wonder if the lower than expected attendance has anything to do with that.

No. If anything it shows that nothing wrt AH events is certain. No one expected Villains After Hours, and even fewer people expected it to come back for a large swath of the year running simultaneously with regular MK AH.

If ROTR is the “Flight of Passage” of Galaxy’s Edge that everyone is saying it will be, it’s almost guaranteed AH will come back. AK AH does not get as many tickets sold as MK as I understand it, but there are plenty of people who literally buy those tickets just to ride FOP over and over again. I’m one of them come next May. A blockbuster game changer type of E ticket with minimal wait is a huge selling point even if it won’t lend itself as well to re-rides due to length.

My guess is they bring DHS AH back in a form most people aren’t expecting. I’ve believed for a while that they’re holding back on it because they’ll have a Star Wars “themed” one similar to VAH and they can’t pull the trigger until after ROTR opens as the crown jewel. Allow us nerds to cosplay to our heart’s content, have upcharge SW themed snacks/food items on top of the free snacks, party specific merch, and extra entertainment—bring back March of the First Order but run it through Batuu, as one example. A Galactic Nights lite the way VAH is Halloween lite. They would make money hand over fist from something like that.

No. If anything it shows that nothing wrt AH events is certain. No one expected Villains After Hours, and even fewer people expected it to come back for a large swath of the year running simultaneously with regular MK AH.

If ROTR is the “Flight of Passage” of Galaxy’s Edge that everyone is saying it will be, it’s almost guaranteed AH will come back. AK AH does not get as many tickets sold as MK as I understand it, but there are plenty of people who literally buy those tickets just to ride FOP over and over again. I’m one of them come next May. A blockbuster game changer type of E ticket with minimal wait is a huge selling point even if it won’t lend itself as well to re-rides due to length.

My guess is they bring DHS AH back in a form most people aren’t expecting. I’ve believed for a while that they’re holding back on it because they’ll have a Star Wars “themed” one similar to VAH and they can’t pull the trigger until after ROTR opens as the crown jewel. Allow us nerds to cosplay to our heart’s content, have upcharge SW themed snacks/food items on top of the free snacks, party specific merch, and extra entertainment—bring back March of the First Order but run it through Batuu, as one example. A Galactic Nights lite the way VAH is Halloween lite. They would make money hand over fist from something like that.
I hope you’re right, I just wish they would do it before my end-of-January trip, but that’s such a pipe dream I don’t even dare hope for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!