**Disney After Hours-Hollywood Studios** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Pretty amazing the stark differences between when I was there last Friday and last night from reports, it seems. Although I had outdoor temp water last week too. :-)

School is now out for some, summer wave, one ride down (one which already is down ok capacity anyway). So little room for error at DHS and DAK with so few rides to begin with.

Pretty amazing the stark differences between when I was there last Friday and last night from reports, it seems. Although I had outdoor temp water last week too. :-)

School is now out for some, summer wave, one ride down (one which already is down ok capacity anyway). So little room for error at DHS and DAK with so few rides to begin with.

This was a big vacation week around here with the holiday and school being out.

It’s really mostly ToT being down and then a long delay on RnR

The crowd itself wasn’t bad. Just not too much for most of them to do
For instance, lines at snacks were short, aside from the one outside ot F! just as it was letting out, which was rather obvious. And even that moved fast.

Trying to decide...
We've booked DAH for both AK (7/22) and Villains at MK (7/25). Strongly considering completing the trifecta with HS 7/19, our arrival night. We currently have EMM at HS scheduled for 7/22 (yes, same day as AK DAH - it was booked much earlier). DAH just appeals to me so much more. We love the parks at night, love repeating rides, and love all the rides at HS, for that matter. Especially RnRC - big fans, but won't wait in a long line for it since it's so short. We also have never gotten to do TSL, but it looks right up our alley, even AS2 - we love Mater's at DCA, and I've read it's the same ride but differently themed. The Toy Story franchise is one of my very favorites, which is largely why we booked EMM in the first place.

We also aren't frequent WDW visitors. We're in CA and DLR is our home park. So this is one of those "go big or go home" situations. We'll be back; we just don't know how soon. Could be a few years.

But now I'm a little nervous given recent less than stellar reports of the HS event. I know that the limited number of rides at HS (and AK, for that matter) could really cause one ride closure to kind of break the whole event. Of course, I've read some less than glowing reviews of EMM recently, too...

Anyway, given our info, EMM vs DAH for us? What do you think? (And if this has been asked a million times before, I'm sorry in advance. This thread is a bit too long for me to read all of it...)

Trying to decide...
We've booked DAH for both AK (7/22) and Villains at MK (7/25). Strongly considering completing the trifecta with HS 7/19, our arrival night. We currently have EMM at HS scheduled for 7/22 (yes, same day as AK DAH - it was booked much earlier). DAH just appeals to me so much more. We love the parks at night, love repeating rides, and love all the rides at HS, for that matter. Especially RnRC - big fans, but won't wait in a long line for it since it's so short. We also have never gotten to do TSL, but it looks right up our alley, even AS2 - we love Mater's at DCA, and I've read it's the same ride but differently themed. The Toy Story franchise is one of my very favorites, which is largely why we booked EMM in the first place.

We also aren't frequent WDW visitors. We're in CA and DLR is our home park. So this is one of those "go big or go home" situations. We'll be back; we just don't know how soon. Could be a few years.

But now I'm a little nervous given recent less than stellar reports of the HS event. I know that the limited number of rides at HS (and AK, for that matter) could really cause one ride closure to kind of break the whole event. Of course, I've read some less than glowing reviews of EMM recently, too...

Anyway, given our info, EMM vs DAH for us? What do you think? (And if this has been asked a million times before, I'm sorry in advance. This thread is a bit too long for me to read all of it...)

I'm kinda in the same boat, trying to decide if we want the AK DAH ones. We already have HS and MK ones. We also had the EMMs for both and canceled them in favor of the After Hours. Ultimately, we decided the longer hours and nighttime hours were better for our family. I hate getting up so early while on vacation. Plus I feel like we'd be more rushed to get everything accomplished in the morning.

Trying to decide...

I took the plunge and got the DHS one too just because it offers an AP discount and comes up to a more reasonable price than EMM with longer hours outside of the sun and not having to wake up so early lol! We booked 19th so see you there if you decide on going ;)

Plus I feel like we'd be more rushed to get everything accomplished in the morning.

This is a very good point! I've been a little worried about that with EMM.

I took the plunge and got the DHS one too just because it offers an AP discount and comes up to a more reasonable price than EMM with longer hours outside of the sun and not having to wake up so early lol! We booked 19th so see you there if you decide on going ;)

YES. No sun at night might be the best part! It's been awhile since we dealt with an Orlando summer...I think we've partially forgotten what a huge benefit that is.

We don't have APs, so no discount. But It's about twice as long and not twice as much money...so I think I can still justify it financially. ;)

This is a very good point! I've been a little worried about that with EMM.

YES. No sun at night might be the best part! It's been awhile since we dealt with an Orlando summer...I think we've partially forgotten what a huge benefit that is.

We don't have APs, so no discount. But It's about twice as long and not twice as much money...so I think I can still justify it financially. ;)
I just upgraded my own ticket for this trip. I really have no plans to go back within the year but I got a good AP discount for our 4 day hotel stay at the Poly plus the discount for both DAH ($30 discount per ticket so that’s $180 for 3 of us) and the memory maker ($169) paid for the upgrade... It’s how I justified my upgrade and I think the math made sense :D

Well, just cancelled EMM and booked DAH for 7/19. (And then tweaked a bunch of other stuff that was affected, of course.) Now we have the trifecta - all 3 DAH events! SO excited. We love late nights in the parks!!
We loved our dah at hs. I really think it’s personal preference and the issues with rides being down is all chance. Fop wasn’t down during our dah at ak but we still waited 45 minutes for it.

We loved our dah at hs. I really think it’s personal preference and the issues with rides being down is all chance. Fop wasn’t down during our dah at ak but we still waited 45 minutes for it.

Honestly, I’m figuring getting to tour in the dark without the sun beating down is almost worth the cost anyway in July. We tend to love park atmosphere at night so much more even when it’s not hotter than the surface of the sun. Hopefully it works out ok with the rides, but I think it’ll be fun anyway. And we do have a FP for FOP on a different day just in case. But not for SDD.

Honestly, I’m figuring getting to tour in the dark without the sun beating down is almost worth the cost anyway in July. We tend to love park atmosphere at night so much more even when it’s not hotter than the surface of the sun. Hopefully it works out ok with the rides, but I think it’ll be fun anyway. And we do have a FP for FOP on a different day just in case. But not for SDD.
I think you’ll still have a great time. I just saw that rnrc and tot are being put as tier 1 which is ridiculous and makes dah at hs even more worth it

I think you’ll still have a great time. I just saw that rnrc and tot are being put as tier 1 which is ridiculous and makes dah at hs even more worth it
I saw that, too! Crazy! And unfortunately, since DAH hasn't been announced after SWGE opens, there are going to be some very unhappy people, I think...

I saw that, too! Crazy! And unfortunately, since DAH hasn't been announced after SWGE opens, there are going to be some very unhappy people, I think...
There’s literally nothing in tier 2 that I would want, but that’s a topic for another thread.

There’s literally nothing in tier 2 that I would want, but that’s a topic for another thread.

I don't really understand the concept of getting FP for shows. DH and I usually just sit in the back somewhere and enjoy it just as much. I guess with kids it might be different.

I don't really understand the concept of getting FP for shows. DH and I usually just sit in the back somewhere and enjoy it just as much. I guess with kids it might be different.
We don’t get FPS for shows either. We mainly have our set of FPS we get every time because we know they’ll have a long wait. Like I’ll get one for 7dmt even though I don’t like the ride that much.

So we were at the DAH event at HS on May 17th. (This was the day before we left for a 7-day DCL cruise, followed by another 4 days at WDW, so I'm a little behind in posting this review.)

The event ran from 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. I had already planned our day at AK with FastPasses on FOP and dinner at Tiffins, so we skipped the Rivers of Light show (which was dissapointing because I like the music) and left AK around 9:10 p.m. We then took an Uber over to HS. It took a few minutes to find the driver near the taxi stand, and were finally picked up at 9:27 p.m. We got to HS about 9:45 p.m. and met up with family members who had beat us there.

We proceeded to ride:
ToT: 1x
RnR: 2x
TSM: 3x
SDD: 5x

By 11 p.m. or so, all rides were walk-ons, including SDD. We all had Mickey Bars and some water bottles. Overall it was pricey, but ultimately I think it was worth it for us. I would probably do another DAH event, assuming I could get the DVC discounted price again.

P.S. We had no problem getting into the event -- I verified our tickets were all showing up on MDE, so our MagicBands worked just fine. It was a good thing the MagicBands worked, as I completely forgot to bring the paper tickets I had printed out in advance. We got wristbands right as we entered the park at 9:45 p.m. Our family members who had entered earlier using their APs missed getting wristbands, so they had to hike back to the entrance at 9:00 p.m.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter