**Disney After Hours-Hollywood Studios** FAQ & Discussion Thread

I'm hoping for some advice on if we should for DAH or not.

We arrive for a short trip of Memorial Day weekend. Our flight is scheduled to land at 7pm on Friday May 24th, and we're staying at the Boardwalk. We're going to be taking an Uber or Lyft from the airport to the hotel. I am thinking about purchasing DAH tickets for HS for that night. We would most likely just drop our bags at bell services and go straight to HS. Do you think it's worth it? We are both AP.

Edit:
My main worries are 1. our flight being delayed and 2. I'm being too confident in our time calculating skills to figure out the time it would take between landing and get to the gates at HS.
My advice is to wait to purchase after you arrive. Yes, there is always the possibility for it to sell-out, but with such a late arrival, I wouldn't want to purchase non-refundable tickets. If your flight arrives on time and you are all pumped up, then you can buy tickets. If you are tired, or delayed, then you haven't invested hundreds. Oh, and BTW, I am not following my own advice because we purchased DAH tickets for our arrival evening.:rotfl2: But, I will likely arrive earlier than 7:00 (I haven't gotten our plane tickets yet because that trip is not until July).

We did May 1st also. We went to HS in the morning and did Jedi Training, Tower of Terror and Slinky once. Difficult to maneuver through the park due to the little parade and the ceremony. We left after lunch at Sci Fi. Returned around 6. Did the Star Wars dessert party which I found disappointing. The desserts were just okay and the view of the show was only so-so.

After the fireworks we got our wristbands. I headed to rockncoaster while the rest headed to the Vampirina and Fancy nancy meet and greets. Then we went to TSL. Was pleasantly surprised to discover that Slinky dog was only 10 minutes and soon became almost walk on. My older daughter and my friend rode it 10 times. Meanwhile my younger daughter and I did TSMM over and over. We didn't bother waiting for any of the special 30th stuff. After reports of Slinky still having 'long' waits even during DAH we were really pleased.

I wanted to give a report from our May the 4th party.

We started our day in HS and did most of the rides, shows, etc that wouldn't be at the party or were out of the way. We left the park late afternoon and let our kids go to the pool at POR, ate dinner and planned on leaving to come back right when the rain started. Stroller, kids, and a wife who just washed her hair made us wait for the rain to stop. We left POR around 9:00 PM and were in the park by 9:20 to catch the end of the animation show and then saw the Star Wars projection show as we had never seen it before.

Once the Star Wars projection show finished we saw most of the crowd going to launch bay so we headed to Toy Story Land and went to slinky dog since we couldn't get a fast pass for it earlier. Posted time was 20 minutes and it was a few minutes below that. I will add we had a 2.5 year old who couldn't ride and they do a "rider swap" for the party by having the other person wait at the exit with the non-rider and when we finished our ride, i waited with the non-rider and the others in the party rerode with the first one who sat out by going in through a side entrance. That was a plus as we didn't know how it worked during a party with no fast pass line. We then went and rode Alien SS as a walk on, took a bathroom break and grabbed drinks. Next we did TSM with about a 5 minute wait. We met Woody and Jesse with about an 8 minute wait. Met buzz with a 2 minute wait. We then decided to head over to launch bay as some of the times looked lower. My wife got in line for Darth Vader (30 min posted wait) and I took the kids to do BB8 (10 min wait). The Rey and Chewbacca wait was just too long for us still at 50 minutes this late in the party. We met Darth Vader and my little one was asleep by this point. My two older kids wanted to meet the Jawas and they really liked them and we waited 3-5 mins. Phasma's line was still too long and we left Launch Bay. We took pictures with a few of the droids in the animation courtyard and with 0-0-0 (all black C-3PO). We really enjoyed seeing those and thought it was a nice touch. The death troopers were "interrogating" people and would take pictures with people and my son wanted to take a picture with them. He waited behind another couple who was taking a picture and then they walked away. I get they are being in character but there is a 6 year old kid waiting to talk to you. We had to chase them down and he finally got his picture with them. We then made our way out and we called it a night and it was probably around 12:15.

My overall impression. It is probably on me but I know where all the "normal" meet and greets are so I was a little upset thinking the ewoks werent at the party. I found out later, after the party, they were at star tours but we did star tours earlier in the day and didnt go over there. We didnt really take advantage of the snacks or drinks as much as we could have but we got them as needed, not just grabbing them since they were "free". Because we were focusing on characters for this we didnt do as many rides as we could have. While I enjoyed the Star Wars part of the party, I dont know how much it added to the party besides some special meet and greets. IMO, these meet and greets should have been in the park for the May the 4th celebration. I would probably do the party again for a regular party and if im there for a special party, if it doesn't cost more, I would do it again and focus on more rides. Because the party officially started at 9:30 and the Star Wars Projection show started a few minutes late around 9:40, we could have done a few things in that period of the projection show but it was our first time to see it. Next time, I would skip that for rides.

The crowd level was great though compared to what it was during the day. Also being a lot cooler helps too. It was hot that day.

Attachments

• death troopers.jpg
    death troopers.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 000 - starwars.jpg
    000 - starwars.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Our AH night is tonight, on our way now. Assuming we won't be able to check in this early. Is there somewhere in the park we can get wristbands later this evening?

Our AH night is tonight, on our way now. Assuming we won't be able to check in this early. Is there somewhere in the park we can get wristbands later this evening?

Yeah, ticket booth at corner of Hollywood and Sunset BLvd. Look for the fountain.

On my way tonight. Said I wasn’t going to do this again but with ToT being refurbished, I wanted to use this to ride it several times. However it has been down most of the day. Hoping for the best. At least the rain showers are out of forecast.

Last edited:

It's 9:40, we've ridden RnR 3x since 9:05. In line now for ToT, had to do pre-show but they're only running half the elevators. Both RnR and ToT have times listed at 40mins, which are not accurate.

ETA...took about 20min to ride ToT.
Ice cream and potty break. Then to TS land. TSMM walk on. In line for SDD at 10:30. Posted 20min wait. Really 10min. Off in 15ish. 3x all together, done at 11:10. 3x Aliens by 11:30p.

Last edited:
It's 9:40, we've ridden RnR 3x since 9:05. In line now for ToT, had to do pre-show but they're only running half the elevators. Both RnR and ToT have times listed at 40mins, which are not accurate.

Ice cream and potty break. Then to TS land. TSMM walk on. In line for SDD at 10:30. Posted 20min wait. Really 10min. Off in 15ish. 3x all together, done at 11:10. 3x Aliens by 11:30p.
Wow 20 minutes is a bit long for ToT. There’s no reason they should be running one side. Seems like everything else went pretty well so far

IDK if this is the reason, but I know ToT is scheduled for maintenance this spring/summer which will cause 1/2 to close while the other side is upgraded. FP+ distribution will also be impacted. Could it have started?

Just reporting back that it felt way less crowded than the Feb 2nd event I went to, which I felt was fine crowd wise. I rode
TSMM x 2
SDD x 3
A** x 1
RNRC x 1
ToT x 6 slow going here my average was 15 minutes enter line to ride finish but better than the 90 minute waits during day
SDD x 4

3 ice creams, 1 popcorn, 4 water, 4 Coke to stock for week trip.

ETA: I also got to stop for Woody and Jessie on way out, thought the line was closed as no one was waiting only one person taking a picture but the CM said they could do one more.

Last edited:

To finish off the night...
Another bathroom break.
Ice cream break
Met buzz (woody and jesse always had a pretty long line prob 7-10 families so we skipped)
TSMM 3x. (Got to stayed on back to back last time).
Back to SDD, rode 2xs, could have ridden another it was about 12:25.
CMs loaded us up with drinks and popcorn on the way out, they were trying to get us to take ice cream too.

I know some mentioned that was a long time for ToT but it is under refurb now and it was down most of the day. 20min is ave I'd say with the pre-show and all. We did wait prob 7-10 in boiler room. It was filled to the splitting point.

Overall, very happy with the event. Much better than the AK AH. Would do again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
I was at the DAH event held at DHS this Friday night, May 10, from 9:30pm to 12:30am. Here is a short report, as well as a comparative with the DAH at the MK, which I attended on Thursday evening.

I arrived at the park entrance at 6:50pm. I saw a group of people who were waiting for the DAH admission. So 10 minutes before 7pm, they were not allowed to enter the park. I moved through the turnstiles thanks to my annual pass, and I picked the wristband at the ticket station located at the intersection of Hollywood Bd and Sunset Bd.

I begun by watching the Star Wars Fireworks at 9:30pm, which basically means that DAH goers must decide between the fireworks show scheduled as part of the regular park hours, or the immediate start of your DAH event. Choosing the fireworks - which we don't have to do at MK - already decreases the value of the activity.

Then, I had the following line-up of rides:

- Tower of Terror (2x)
- Rock n' Roller Coaster (2x)
- Toy Story Mania (2x)
- The Aliens Saucers
- The Slinky Dog Roller Coaster
- Toy Story Mania (3x) -- no need to exit the vehicule -- more below
- Tower of Terror (1x)

* Everything was basically walk-on (except 2-3 mintues in the boiler room of Tower of Terror).

I knew in advance that DAH at DHS involved a much smaller number of attractions then at MK. So I understood this. I was attracted by this event because some of my favorite Disney attractions are at DHS, so I did want to ride them, again and again. However, I did hope for much more efficiency.

At the Hollywood Tower of Terror, all guests had to watch the entire pre-show. We had no option to by-pass this, so each ride took almost 15 minutes.

At Toy Story Mania, I would have appreciated a way to by-pass the regular path, which is way to long since the refurbishment. It would have been very easy, and without any additional operating cost, to open the fence between the exit way (where we drop our glasses in the bin) and to leave people returning to the attraction. Also, the 3rd time at rode TSM, there was no body waiting in line for my row. So I asked a young male cast member whether I could stay for one more ride. He wasn't sure. In contrast with many attractions I did the night before at MK, nobody was invited to stay on board for another ride whether no guest waited for the same row. Fortunately, he was soon joined my an older, female colleague who answered *yes, of course, you can!* I heard the young man explaining to his colleague that he didn't want to take a chance and say *yes* without to know the exact procedure. So I played a 4th time, I was along in my pair of cars. Then, I did a 5th time.

I was very happy to be permitted to stay on board of TSM, however I don't understand why this possibility is not advertized to all guests. I would have also appreciated an opportunity to by-pass the movie at Tower of Terror, as it was possible at Rock n' Roller Coaster.

The kiosks were more numerous than what I expected from previous messages. I had no problem to find locations for one Coke, one bottle of water, one pop corn and one ice cream sandwich. In Toy Story Land, for instance, they were two kiosks. Also, all the kiosks I attended had most of the items -- it was not necessary to pick the popcorn at one, then to move to another kiosk for a Coca-Cola.

To summary, I am not sure that DAH at DHS is a good thing. The re-ride opportunities are less clear than at MK. It is likely that I would return to DAH at Magic Kingdom, but I am not sure about DHS: fewer attractions, overlap of the regular nighttime show with the beginning of the event, lack of efficiency in the attractions...

To finish off the night...
Another bathroom break.
Ice cream break
Met buzz (woody and jesse always had a pretty long line prob 7-10 families so we skipped)
TSMM 3x. (Got to stayed on back to back last time).
Back to SDD, rode 2xs, could have ridden another it was about 12:25.
CMs loaded us up with drinks and popcorn on the way out, they were trying to get us to take ice cream too.

I know some mentioned that was a long time for ToT but it is under refurb now and it was down most of the day. 20min is ave I'd say with the pre-show and all. We did wait prob 7-10 in boiler room. It was filled to the splitting point.

Overall, very happy with the event. Much better than the AK AH. Would do again in a heartbeat!

Overall from Fri. May 10
  • Got to park close to 6. Dinner at Mama Melrose (we had never done before it was good), Star Tours, watched Jedi training, frozen show, picked up wrist bands in park about 8:15, pics, went back to new cars show it was down. Kids played in that area and it finally opened a little before 9. Out at 9:05p and ready to start!
  • 9:05p-9:40p. RnR 3x - Wait times for RnR and ToT both said 40 min but walking by RnR saw no visible line. CM said it was a walk on. It was, all 3x. Able to walk thru preshow.
  • ToT 1x finished around 10p. - had to watch show.
  • Potty/snack break - cart near bathrooms next to Beauty & beast stage show
  • Headed to TS land.
  • TSMM 1x. posted 5 min. Walk on, but as someone else mentioned, it's a long walk.
  • SDD 3x 10:30-11:10p. Posted 20 min wait was really 10ish first time a little less the second.
  • Aliens 3x done by 11:30p (were able to stay on, they didn't offer...we asked)
  • Potty/ice cream Break
  • Met buzz no line
  • TSMM 3x. Able to stay on the 2nd/3rd time had to ask. We prob would have ridden more but as someone else said long walk.
  • SDD 2x more. Had about 5min left, could had ridden again.
  • CMs loaded us up with goodies on the way back.
We really could have done more, DS7 was nervous about RnR so we took some time at the beginning...and our breaks were longer than if it were just a couple of adults. We didn't rush. Really enjoyed it!

In 3 and a half hours we did:
Fantasmic
Tower of Terror
Alien Saucers
Slinky Dog Dash
Toy Story Mania

It was more crowded than I thought, but maybe because less is open and except for Star Tours, all the attractions are in basically 2 sections of the park. I do love that ‘40s music and hope they never change it on Hollywood and Sunset Blvds. I do miss the overtures they used to play around the Chinese Theater.

Definitely worth the $125 but our least favorite for now of the 3 After Hours. We did enjoy the less walking compared to DAK and MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter