Disney 1st or last?

MissinD

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Despite that, I've been to WDW many times but haven't done Disneyland since I was a kid. My husband and I are thinking of doing a big San Diego/Disneyland trip next year. The big question is should we do Disney first or last? Our kids will be 4 and 6 at the time. I know there will be lots for them to adore in San Diego and surrounding area (Seaworld/Legoland) but I'm just not sure the best order to approach it. We will fly into one place, rent a car and fly out of the other. Appreciate any suggestions and insight.

I don't think there is any right or wrong way to to it.

Last year DD and I did DL (DW was unable to go), she had just turned 9 and this is how we did it.

Day 1- We flew from BOS to LAX arrived around 2p, drove to DL area and check into Candy Cane Inn, went to Angles game.
Day 2- Did a Character meal at PP Hotel to "start" the trip, a museum, Santa Monica Pier, and a Dodgers game
Day 3- California Science Center and NHRA Drag Racing museum, Disneyland at night (it was a Sunday)
Day 4- Drove to SD and the SD Zoo
Day 5- Disneyland and then hopped to DCA for a couple hours
Day 6- DCA
Day 7- Disneyland
Day 8- Lazy day at Downtown Disney and hung at the pool
Day 9- Did the Hollywood sign and drove to SD for a Padres game. I originally would have done the Padres game the same day as the Zoo but I wanted to meet a friend who was going to the game that night and was in from AZ.
Day 10- Character meal at CG Hotel to "end" our trip and flight home

The drive between SD and LA isn't too bad depending on when you do it so don't discount driving back to the airport you originally fly into, especially if it's a lot cheaper for flights and rental car.

Depending on how many days you are planning on the parks at Disney you could always split the trip up. Do a day or two at DL, head to SD for a couple days, and back and finish at DL for another day or two.

For any trip anywhere I recommend doing the more hectic part first and the more relaxing part at the end. IMO San Diego will be more relaxing for your family than Disneyland, so I'd start with Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!