Disillusioned by Universal. Not looking forward to trip

UOs EP experience is very different then Disney’s FP. W/o EP you can still arm yourself with a plan. Hit rope drop, and get great rides. It sounds like you got a great deal in the past and are expecting a very low rate for a high volume time. UO has no reason to do this.

Having stayed at a variety of Disney hotels (mostly beach club, but also POR) and Comparing to our PBH stay, PBH was a far superior hotel IMO.

I’m not sure UO did anything wrong here. They have to make money, it’s a business.
You may be right. As I've said, I just don't think Universal is for me. I'll do the one night at CB as that's what's planned with our friends. Make the best of it by enjoying what I've been told is a nice resort.
Just based on reading your posts, you may just want to stay at Disney the whole time and Uber over to Universal. It's never fun changing hotels, plus you'll avoid the angst you seem to have.
I'd love to do this. Unfortunately, we have travel companions and it's just not possible.

I notice you say they'll perhaps put excess rooms up for AP holders much closer to the date. This is what I'm talking about with greed. Toss the AP holders a bone. Reward their investment in your parks. At RPR for example, every room category is available for my night. Put out a few AP rooms. I'm travelling without my spouse and we are required to have a lawyer's letter drawn up stating at which address we will reside while on holiday. My spouse must give consent for me to travel and our letter must be notarised. Holding out for AP rates that might never come is very difficult. That paperwork takes times to draw up.

Where are you traveling from that requires this? Wow.

Keep checking back. Uni does sometimes change things around.

As for being busy, Wdw will be busier. And since you mention everyone having the same access, there’s that little issue at Wdw of onsite people with tickets booking fp+ at 60 days, off-site people with tickets booking at 30 days, and if you can’t buy tickets or have certain YES tickets etc, you have to have ticket in hand before booking FPs after you’re there.

Hardly a level playing field. But I assume you have your three fp+s for each day made already?

Unfortunately, we have travel companions and it's just not possible.

But it doesn’t sound like you’re staying in the same room at Universal. So why not?

Where are you traveling from that requires this? Wow.

Keep checking back. Uni does sometimes change things around.

As for being busy, Wdw will be busier. And since you mention everyone having the same access, there’s that little issue at Wdw of onsite people with tickets booking fp+ at 60 days, off-site people with tickets booking at 30 days, and if you can’t buy tickets or have certain YES tickets etc, you have to have ticket in hand before booking FPs after you’re there.

Hardly a level playing field. But I assume you have your three fp+s for each day made already?

But it doesn’t sound like you’re staying in the same room at Universal. So why not?

Good points about Disney.

I've talked in the past about my friend being afraid to stay at a different hotel from us. Silly, I know. Frustrating, yes, but it is what it is.

We are travelling from Canada. Parents are advised that when travelling with children, but not one's spouse, you must have a notarised letter of consent from the non accompanying parent. It does make things tricky.

This trip is mostly for my friend and her daughter. I'm frustrated today and probably just need to vent. My hands are tied with regards to accommodation and it frustrates me. I'll shake it off, stay wherever I end up and make the best of it.

Last edited:
Can you guys just get one room for the night? I am assuming you have two rooms at Cabana Bay? That way, you could get RPR for about the same price as your two Cabana Bay rooms?

I've talked in the past about my friend being afraid to stay at a different hotel from us. Silly, I know. Frustrating, yes, but it is what it is.

Oh, I remember that. Ugh.

From the US going to Canada we’re told to have a letter stating that we can travel, but without the need to state an address. (And fwiw I’ve never had it)

Can you guys just get one room for the night? I am assuming you have two rooms at Cabana Bay? That way, you could get RPR for about the same price as your two Cabana Bay rooms?
We are a party of six. Is there a room that will hold us without breaking the bank? I've been checking that option today but don't see anything. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Oh, I remember that. Ugh.

From the US going to Canada we’re told to have a letter stating that we can travel, but without the need to state an address. (And fwiw I’ve never had it)

Yup. Knowing the parks the way I do, I know how busy it's going to be. I don't think my friend can even conceive of the crowds that will be there. Without EP, the whole thing fills me with dread. That's why I'm thinking I'll just enjoy the resort, not fight the crowds without EP and perhaps enjoy a day and a half relaxing at CB.

Yes we need the address. We have a form letter provided by the government that requires the address. I've traveled with the kids alone four times, I think. Been asked every time for the form.

Yes we need the address. We have a form letter provided by the government that requires the address. I've traveled with the kids alone four times, I think. Been asked every time for the form.

Isn’t that interesting? I guess there’s a difference between the airport and Blaine crossing. Except that we went yvr to heathrow and no one asked for anything (total oversight there, we meant to get the letter). Wild.

Isn’t that interesting? I guess there’s a difference between the airport and Blaine crossing. Except that we went yvr to heathrow and no one asked for anything (total oversight there, we meant to get the letter). Wild.

Ya it varies. My sister was with us on our last vacation with her 9 year old grand daughter. Customs didn't ask to see the letter in either direction to or from Canada. She had it but wasn't asked for it.

Last edited:
We've never mixed Disney and Universal in one trip. It's just too expensive to buy short time-frame tickets to two different places.
We do one or the other.
Most of our Universal trips have not included a room with EP or buying EP, but we still can get a great deal done and have enjoyed our trips a lot.

We've never mixed Disney and Universal in one trip. It's just too expensive to buy short time-frame tickets to two different places.
We do one or the other.
Most of our Universal trips have not included a room with EP or buying EP, but we still can get a great deal done and have enjoyed our trips a lot.
That's good to hear. I have APs for both Disney and Universal, so cost of tkts isn't an issue. My friend is doing this as a one and done trip.

That's good to hear. I have APs for both Disney and Universal, so cost of tkts isn't an issue. My friend is doing this as a one and done trip.

She thinks it's one and done.... :)

You guys will be just fine. Forgot that you're paying more than you like. (I assume you're splitting it too....making it more palatable). This is going to be a great trip for your kids and the adults who love them.

We REALLY like Cabana Bay. My advice is to request a room close to the lobby....our first trip we stayed at the end of the long Americana hall and it was a slog of a walk. We requested closer room on the next trip and got a room just a few away from the main areas and it was much better.

She thinks it's one and done.... :)

You guys will be just fine. Forgot that you're paying more than you like. (I assume you're splitting it too....making it more palatable). This is going to be a great trip for your kids and the adults who love them.

We REALLY like Cabana Bay. My advice is to request a room close to the lobby....our first trip we stayed at the end of the long Americana hall and it was a slog of a walk. We requested closer room on the next trip and got a room just a few away from the main areas and it was much better.
Thanks for the tip. We are in a suite at CB. My friend and her daughter have their own room. I think it will be a fun trip for our kids. Trying to stay focused on that. Planning this trip has been tough going and a long process.

January 2. One night. I'm checking AP rates. I'm in a suite at Cabana Bay due to occupancy.

That's a tuesday, the Xmas/NYE crowd will vacate, the marathon one will roll in on Thurs/Friday

The onsite deluxe U properties rates I've priced are typically lower than like ones @ WDW, even when factoring in discounts. Toss in the FOTL perk and they are 'steals' IMO

Thanks for the tip. We are in a suite at CB. My friend and her daughter have their own room. I think it will be a fun trip for our kids. Trying to stay focused on that. Planning this trip has been tough going and a long process.

Sounds like a good solution. You could always check out hotwire/priceline or try to rent a large offsite condo for all. However, if just one night, your options are limited.

Enjoy your trip, bumps in the road or not, you're going to Florida :)

Why can’t yiu just swap your itinerary around? Get cheaper hotels at Universal if you flip that and Disney. You say you can find cheap Disney hotels vs Universal...what if you price things out in opposite order?

Why can’t yiu just swap your itinerary around? Get cheaper hotels at Universal if you flip that and Disney. You say you can find cheap Disney hotels vs Universal...what if you price things out in opposite order?
We are booked at WDW using my dvc, so those days are firm. I just checked WDW rates for comparison’s sake.

Universal rarely has AP rates for prime dates such as the first week in January. They have inflated rates for those times and if there seem to be excess rooms, then they will put them up on an AP rate at a time much closer to the date.

I'm really surprised that there are even any rooms left at WDW during that time! What did you manage to find? I'm really amazed that Grand Floridin is cheaper than Cabana Bay!!!! I see Cabana Bay is $226 for Jan 1-5. I can't see any occupancy at Grand Floridian but I can't check AP rates.
I disagree. We travel every year on New Year's Eve day and we have ALWAYS found AP rates long before now starting on New Year's Day. I currently have 2 rooms at the Portofino (+parlor) at the absolutely exorbitant rate of $519 + tax starting on 1/4. Last year, our rate was closer to $250 a night starting on 1/1.

We actually cut our Universal days down to just one night/2 days and booked a cruise instead as it was much cheaper. I am also going to cancel one of the rooms if the rates don't go down and just stick all 6 of us in the Portofino Suite. It is far cheaper for us to fly home early and then fly back at a later date when the rooms are more reasonable.

I still love Universal and think it a much better value than Disney, but a 100% increase in room prices because they are lighting up the castle? Ridiculous!

I am thinking Universal is going to be stuck with a glut of rooms the first week of January when people who are holding rooms waiting for AP rates or rates to go down (like me) cancel and use their backup reservations. We will still stay at the Portofino but we will cancel one of our two rooms, only keeping our plat suite. There is absolutely no way I am paying $1,200 a night for 2 rooms.

I am a huge Universal fan and usually an unashamed apologist for their business practices, but even I think their prices are ridiculous. I hope this is not the new business model now with more and more non EP hotels being built, that those that want the EP hotels will pay through the nose.

Last edited:
I am thinking Universal is going to be stuck with a glut of rooms the first week of January when people who are holding rooms waiting for AP rates or rates to go down (like me) cancel and use their backup reservations. We will still stay at the Portofino but we will cancel one of our two rooms, only keeping our plat suite. There is absolutely no way I am paying $1,200 a night for 2 rooms.

I am a huge Universal fan and usually an unashamed apologist for their business practices, but even I think their prices are ridiculous. I hope this is not the new business model now with more and more non EP hotels being built, that those that want the EP hotels will pay through the nose.
I’m pretty disappointed in them too. Those hotels are not worth upwards of four and five hundred dollars plus taxes. RP comes in at $510 with tax. It’s a rip off. If you check availability that first week of January, there are rooms available in every single category (speaking of RP, can’t comment on other hotels off the top of my head). I think you’re right about a glut of empty rooms. It will serve them right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!