Discussion on 10/10 DIS Unplugged show

dkrauss

Goofy Fan from Jersey
Love this discussion......wonderful way to switch it up!.....adding my 2cents........

I'm torn regarding rides, that is, until this past visit in June, my #1 ride was always Splash Mtn. The way Craig described it is spot on. However, since June............I'm with Pete, Flights of Passage is the most amazing Disney ride I've ever done..........NO CONTEST!

And on the hidden gem restaurants..............Totally with the Ryno on Sanaa! Love it!
Doug :goofy:

Last edited:
I loved that format. So much more fun. Sometimes I'll listen to a show and after introductions, you won't hear from some of the people until they read their rapid fire. I enjoy listening to them all talk among themselves. It was the most fun on a show in a while.

I really enjoyed this show concept! Great idea Pete!

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in on the best Disney ride debate. Even though I would personally say that Flight of Passage is the best Disney attraction I have ever been on, I am surprised It's A Small World wasn't mentioned at least by someone as they were "thinking." I agree with Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are AMAZING attractions and must-dos on any day you are in Disneyland or Walt Disney World. In my mind though, I feel like It's A Small World is also one of those attractions. I know everyone hates the song by the end of the ride (including me), but It's A Small World is as "Disney" as it gets. I would still put It's A Small World 3rd on my list of Disney Classic Attractions behind Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion based on my personal preference though.

I did enjoy the show - not sure i would want it all the time but for a change up it was great ... or maybe they could just try to have at least 1 topic like this to cover each week (unless they feel that week has a ton of news or something)

As for best ride, I sort of feel alone but for my it is definitely the Jungle Cruise ... it was an opening day attraction, Walt's hands and that of a ton of major imagineers is all over it, no two rides are exactly the same, it has the precursor to audio-animatronics in it, it is a different experience at night vs the day, you have all the backstory with the company runing the cruises which has now tied into the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, etc. - to me it has everything!

As for best ride, I sort of feel alone but for my it is definitely the Jungle Cruise ... it was an opening day attraction, Walt's hands and that of a ton of major imagineers is all over it, no two rides are exactly the same, it has the precursor to audio-animatronics in it, it is a different experience at night vs the day, you have all the backstory with the company runing the cruises which has now tied into the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, etc. - to me it has everything!
For some reason, I forgot about the Jungle Cruise from my post above. My order would then be:

1. Pirates of the Caribbean
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Jungle Cruise
4. It's A Small World

I think Jungle Cruise is a great attraction. However, the amount of times that I am on that attraction and I am the ONLY one laughing is almost every time now. I feel like people just don't understand it like they would have back when it opened maybe. I really enjoy the theming of the attraction, and I still find most of the jokes funny. It will always be a favorite of mine. :)

Really enjoyed the more relaxed format of this week's show. More of the DIS Cast got to participate in a more conversational way and I find that's what really makes the show enjoyable.

About the People Mover being the Best Attraction—the thing with it is that it does not stand alone as an attraction. It relies on all of the other Tomorrowland attractions and overall land to be interesting. If it was a ride without any attractions to look at or shops to peer into it would be a very boring experience. If you just dropped it onto a bare piece of land it would not stand on its own.

I also loved the format this week! I was talking along in my car (my son wonders sometimes if I realize y'all can't hear me. :earboy2:) My pick for Best Attraction is an odd one but it's my pick so here goes.

Horizons. It was educational, entertaining, had a great soundtrack, the vehicle design and architecture were signature 80's Disney, and it was good for all ages. It inspired hope for the future. All of the things I most associate in my heart with Disney. I am also continuously marveled by the ingenious uses of space in these classic Future World attractions. I miss it very much.

About the People Mover being the Best Attraction—the thing with it is that it does not stand alone as an attraction. It relies on all of the other Tomorrowland attractions and overall land to be interesting. If it was a ride without any attractions to look at or shops to peer into it would be a very boring experience. If you just dropped it onto a bare piece of land it would not stand on its own.

You're absolutely right, but to me that is a strength of the People Mover. There are amusment parks all over the world that have rides sitting next to other rides with little to no rhyme or reason. Disney is different. They tell stories, establish themes and create a sense of place. The way the People Mover integrates and ties together the other elements of Tomorrow Land make it one of the most "Disney" of attractions.

Great format change, so please continue albeit not every week (perhaps 1X/month?). It allows free flow of conversation without the perception of ruling with an iron fist (sorry, the line I'll fire you is long in the tooth and unappealing...even in jest).

Pepper's ghost is still the best Imagineer implementation (not innovation), to date. But, FoP also encapsulates all-things-Disney when I consider an attraction. I would vote for the WEDWAY People Mover IF it was longer and went around all the lands.

Sentimental favorites aside, I would vote for Tower of Terror. Even though it is based on a non-Disney property, it is in my opinion, the best themed ride that I've been on (and I've been on FOP) and it delivers the thrills.

Really enjoyed this week show. Nice to not do the same routine.

While big news stories I say it’s good to have a big discussion on the show, the rest is best kept to the Daily Fix. On the main show spend more time doing what you did this week

This show reminded me of the Dustin days with two shows, todays being like the second half.

It's a nice break from 40 minutes of John and Pete talking about labor contracts or law suits. It was like showing up to school and finding out the teacher was showing a movie. Just a fun mindless escape from real life kind of show.

Thought this was a super good one too! I watch the videos.

It was nice to hear so many people contribute.

The peoplemover is my only MK must do-it makes me feel connected to the past. It's also one of the only rides DL doesn't have and/or do better.

Charles is gonna lose his ish when he gets to ride POTC in DL! Excited for him! I just got to do it this year. I really like DL over the MK-but DW has so much more in the other parks & DS.

FoP could literally belong to any park. Universal could have easily added that ride and it would fit in. It certainly doesn't scream "DISNEY" to me. Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion. These rides are Disney through-and-through, and none of them cause motion sickness.

We never miss the People Mover. We probably do it more times per trip than any other ride. I love riding through Tomorrowland. The line time to ride time ratio is excellent. You can see the castle and the smokers. You can play Pokemon Go on it. You can mock the people in the matching shirts that you see down below, and they can't hear you. You speed up, you slow down. It doesn't stop because it is raining. You get to ride through other rides. I do wish they would fix the escalator going up. I don't think they even care to try.

I don't really care for Pirates (totally outdated and kind of mildewy). I feel the same way about the Haunted Mansion. I went in the 70s. Holograms!!!!! Now - not impressive. I skip both of those on trips now. I would put Small World above either of those.

Splash Mountain is up there for me, but I give the edge to the People Mover.

I’m coming at this from a Disneyland perspective.

I would say Pirates of the Caribbean or The Haunted Mansion. Both of these attractions are what Disneyland (and the other Disney parks) are all about. They are well themed and just about anyone can do them, families can ride together just as Walt intended. None of the thrill rides truly fulfill that intention, IMO.

From a historical perspective I would say either Great Moments With Mr Lincoln or The Enchanted Tiki Room. These attractions were the first to use relatively sophisticated animatronics and without animatronics, the Disney Parks would be very different places, indeed.

Thought this was a super good one too! I watch the videos.

It was nice to hear so many people contribute.

The peoplemover is my only MK must do-it makes me feel connected to the past. It's also one of the only rides DL doesn't have and/or do better.

Charles is gonna lose his ish when he gets to ride POTC in DL! Excited for him! I just got to do it this year. I really like DL over the MK-but DW has so much more in the other parks & DS.

I was wondering if the conversation was specifically about rides at Walt Disney World or any Disney ride ... because it is hard for me to put the WDW version of Pirates up there knowing the DLR version is so much better

And then obviously some of the international parks have amazing rides as well if we extend that far

Enjoyed the format of this show, but would definitely miss the news if this became permanent. I don't always have a chance to catch the Daily Fix, so no news on the main show might mean that I miss some major information. However, on a slow news week or even a week where the news stories don't generate much conversation, a discussion like this is a great idea. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!