Discovery Island?

Fromeurope

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
When I was at WDW 5 years ago there was an island with animals in the lake next to MK.
Is it still possible to visit it?
Think it was called Discovery Island.
Cannot find information about it anywhere and since we will be back in February I really want to know.
Thanks.

Both Discovery Island and River Country across the bay from it no longer exist. The island justs sits empty, no new attraction opened there......

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that.
Thought it was great.
Have they moved the animals to AK now?
Anyway thanks for letting me now so quickly.
Many Christmas Greetings from a very cold Amsterdam.

Two things I have heard on the grapevine, but don't know it it's true.

The island is now used for private parties.

The animals on the island have now moved to Animal Kingdom and since they have AK they closed the island to the general public.

I liked the island too. My (ahem) "fondest" memory was as I was running for cover during a downpour, I fell off the plank sidewalk and dropped my brand new long lense camera in the sand. Well, needless to say, the sand did quite a job on it and it was never quiet the same!!! :(

Rumor mill says they will turn the island into a honeymooners/couples only resort.

River Country wont be reopened. The bacteria in the lake water became too uncontrollable. For the same reason, you can no longer waterski on the lakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter