Discovery Cove dolphin swim with arm in cast?

zip00021

Earning My Ears
Hi all! This is my first post but I've really enjoyed reading all you've shared in previous discussions! We are surprising our kids with a trip to Orlando in about a month. My 9-year-old son broke his wrist and has a half arm cast on. We've signed up to do the DC dolphin experience on his birthday, and I'd hate to have him miss it because of his cast! It will be waterproofed, so my question is whether anyone knows how the dolphin swim might work with only one arm that's fully functional. He'll be able to use his left arm with cast a little, but can't use it to hold on too tightly. Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

With the swim portion of the dolphin interaction, one arm wraps around the side of the dolphin while the other arm holds tightly to the fin. The dolphins move quite quickly in the water.....its a fast swim, so you want to hold quite firmly or you might get left behind.

I would call DC and inquire as to how the cast might impact your DS's dolphin experience. Or perhaps even email them so you have their response in writing. If you do, please be sure to come back and let us know what they say.

I don't think they will let you in with the dolphins with a cast on for the safety of the dolphins.

Thanks, everyone! I called Discovery Cove and they said it will be fine for my son to participate in whatever way we feel comfortable with. They don't have any adaptive dolphins that would swim slower or allow him to not need two arms, according to the person I talked to. Probably those they do have need to be used for people with more disabilities than a broken wrist, which I completely understand and am in support of! The person I talked to said really one strong arm is required so it is possible he'll be able to do it. We'll just have to see. He'll have a rubber cast cover on his arm which is smooth, and she didn't say anything about prohibiting him from participating. I'll be sure to update this thread once we go. Just went to the ortho today and we're not yet in the clear on surgery --- which would come right at the time of our trip! Here's hoping he continues to heal well so surgery can be avoided!

Thanks, everyone! I called Discovery Cove and they said it will be fine for my son to participate in whatever way we feel comfortable with. They don't have any adaptive dolphins that would swim slower or allow him to not need two arms, according to the person I talked to. Probably those they do have need to be used for people with more disabilities than a broken wrist, which I completely understand and am in support of! The person I talked to said really one strong arm is required so it is possible he'll be able to do it. We'll just have to see. He'll have a rubber cast cover on his arm which is smooth, and she didn't say anything about prohibiting him from participating. I'll be sure to update this thread once we go. Just went to the ortho today and we're not yet in the clear on surgery --- which would come right at the time of our trip! Here's hoping he continues to heal well so surgery can be avoided!
We are in the same situation! How did your son's dolphin experience end up going? Should we go through with it or wait till the cast is off?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter