Discounts historically better for spring or fall?

COscrapper

Mouseketeer
We are looking to do a once-in-a-lifetime trip to WDW in 2016 but trying to get the best deal possible. I think the room discount will be more beneficial than free dining for us, and we were planning on the fall...however the spring discount looks pretty good if we go one of the first 2 weeks of May. We are totally flexible on dates...should we jump on the spring deal or wait to see what is released for fall? My personal preference would be to go in fall if possible...

Thanks for the reply - yeah my concern is that the only fall discount will be free dining...we can totally eat cheaper on our own so I really want the room discount. The one they have right now for spring would be PERFECT but there's no way we'll be ready financially this spring yet. Fall will be the earliest.

The deal types in these seasons seem to vary so it can be hard to compare. Free Dining in Fall is definitely better than the Stay Play Dine deal they like to do in winter/early spring.

In theory, the deals for fall typically are better because of the crowd patterns:

Fall has the following things working against it: It's still warm through much of the east coast, Kids just went back to school or are preparing to go back and people don't want to disrupt them getting back in this routine, there are no major holiday weekends. There are a few draws in fall though with Epcot F&W, MNSSHP (Sept/Oct) & MVMCP (Nov/Early Dec). Also I feel the weather in fall at Disney is better and more predictable (it may be hot, but it's unlikely to be cold)!

Now Spring has MLK, Presidents Day, Easter and Spring Break season which are major travel dates with large portions of the country out of school. The Northeast is cold and snowy and people just want to get OUT. People are more willing to pull the kids out of school mid-year. Weather in Jan/Feb can be unpredictable including lows in the 30's (brrr!) but once you hit March it seems to be a little more predictable.

This doesn't necessarily mean fall deals will be better, but to me the facts suggest they should be. Disney is slowly lessening the promotional amounts though each year as attendance continues to be strong. Also the room types and availability has gotten more limited, it seems now Disney is using these promotions to steer people towards certain dates and room types that they know they have a little more trouble selling.

Good Luck with your trip planning and I'm sure whenever you go it will be an awesome time! Don't dismiss free dining either if you haven't spent some time looking at it. For our family of 4 staying at VALUE or MODERATE resorts we can beat paying for the dining plan BIG TIME on our own but no other discount has ever saved us as much money as free dining did. Your makeup of adults and kids in your travel party and their eating patterns may vary though (and if you're planning to stay DELUXE then you probably can ignore this statement). For us as an example - a 25% discount on the room may save me $500 on a 7 day trip but I know paying NOTHING for dining will save me at least $700 on that same trip - assuming $100 for food for our family of 4. For us I would find it hard for Free Dining to not win out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter