Discount speculations re: Star Wars opening

kittymasi

In.... The..... Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room
Ok... so my family (read, HUGE EXTENDED FAMILY including great Grandma, multiple cousins, and a few offensive but lovable uncles) has decided to take a trip to see the Mouse in December of 2019. The announcement of the opening of Star Wars land has somewhat thrown a wrench into these plans, as people are now speculating just WHAT in the name of Pete's Dragon "late fall" means. Could be November. Could be December. Could be May, heck, why not? Disney won't announce specific dates for many, many months, probably just in time for us NOT to be able to book our dining, because that's how they roll.

So here's the deal. Personally, I'd rather be washed away by a giant tidal wave in the Everglades with Peter Ustinov than go to WDW during the first few weeks of Star Wars opening. Seriously. Just no. I can see Star Wars land later. I am NOT going to elbow crawl across the pavement amongst herds of tremulous fans dressed as Amidala and Darth Maul just to see the Great Movie Ride (I can say that, I'm a HUGE Star Wars nerd). So I am looking for you amazing Dis-board obsessed beautiful people to help me out, please SPECULATE allllll over this. I have to decide whether or not to continue with the original plan of booking the first week of December, or move the whole ugly mess to early November.

What's your gut feeling? And hey while I've got your attention, do you guys think there will be discounts of ANY kind BEFORE Star Wars land opens? Free dining? Room only? Maybe if I do a song and dance?

Thanks, y'all are beautiful and precious and handsome and kind!

I would chance the first of November. Not only with discounts, but possibly less crowds.

I agree about November but not the first week. Wait until after F & W. That first week of November while F & W is still going seems to be excluded from discounts (both room only and free dining) But as it ends the same time in 2018 as 2017, it might be worth figuring out the date and go right after it ends but before US thanksgiving. It's probably your safest bet to get a discount and less crowds. But that is just my 2 cents worth opinion!

Just a thought, but since Star Wars is opening in Hollywood Studio's, that would be the only park I would think would be overly crazy. Which would in turn lower the wait times somewhat in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Look at Toy Story land a few weeks ago. Peter Pan's flight dropped to a 15 minute wait time during opening day.

Unless you are planning to go to Hollywood Studios, I wouldnt sweat it.

I wouldn't bet on the other parks not having an uptick in attendance across the board. Many ppl will flock to Galaxy's Edge at DHS but most will take several days and also tour the other parks. Attendance only really dropped for other parks during the first few days of TSL and its not nearly the draw as Star Wars. Lots of first time Star Wars fans will yes, want to be at DHS but will likely also see the other parks as well. Expect large crowds at all parks and DHS to be gridlocked.

Late fall (to me) means that it will be opening within a month of December 2019. I doubt Disney will need to offer discounts to fill their rooms for awhile after opening. EMH and 60 day FP perks for those wanting to see the new land will keep occupancy rates high.

I would seriously consider moving dates with a family that large and the chance so high for Galaxy's Edge to have opened within a few weeks of your travel dates.

I’m in the same boat. We love early December (first or second week) and are hoping for 2019. We’re fine skipping DHS if SW:GE opens up while we’re down but I’m still curious how that will affect the other parks.

We are extremely excited to see Star Wars Land but will be staying clear of WDW for about a year after it opens. I can only imagine how packed the parks will be, it will be insane!

Personally I think 'late fall' is going to be pushing it to the absolute end of the season, so mid-December to Christmas. I believe a lot of people will look at 'late fall' and think around Thanksgiving because after Thanksgiving it's time to ramp up for Christmas and that a winter holiday. I'm not talking facts, just perceptions. Because of this I think there will be some unexpected room availability and perhaps discounts coming out in mid October as people come up on their 30 day cancellation deadline and see that Galaxy's Edge will not be open.

I'm basing this solely on Toy Story Land opening later than people thought it would (sometime in May, definitely by Memorial Day), the availably that opened up in value & moderates after the announcement and the fact that I got several pin codes for spring.

I think you will be fine for an early December trip.

I will never get over the closing of the GMR. We were in HS yesterday. I don't even look at the building where the ride was. It makes us all so sad. Bad decision to close it Disney. Many liked it. It was always busy when we were there. It was a classic.

With the Free Dining Bouncebacks pretty much all of December (6-24) I am wondering if it wouldn't open sometime during Oct/Nov time frame - I know that is when Food and Wine is going on but all the bouncebacks are blocked out also

With the Star Wars movie coming out Dec 20, technically that is still fall. I wonder if they will time the two events together in some way. You saw it in the theaters, now see it in real life. I am going in mid September 2019 and am hoping that there might be some good deals as lots of people will put off going a few months to see the new land.

We are extremely excited to see Star Wars Land but will be staying clear of WDW for about a year after it opens. I can only imagine how packed the parks will be, it will be insane!
I just wonder if one year will be enough? I am thinking maybe 3-4 plus? I am hoping I am wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!