Discomforting “security checks”

Its not going away..I just can't see how anything like this ruins the whole trip...If you use housekeeping.....there is no security check. If you stay in Moderate or value and decline housekeeping...you get security. Either way..its expected so have to go knowing its coming.
And as I said, some have no concern about this, or I could say, they have no concern for others with health issues.

If the sign being hung on the outside of one’s door doesn’t keep you from being disturbed then what exactly is the sign for? To stop them from just entering? If that’s the case then you’d need to have it hung around the clock to have any semblance of what should be assumed and privacy.

It is to alert them that the room is occupied, that is all. So that they knock, and don't just use their key to get in.

If the sign being hung on the outside of one’s door doesn’t keep you from being disturbed then what exactly is the sign for? To stop them from just entering? If that’s the case then you’d need to have it hung around the clock to have any semblance of what should be assumed and privacy.
What I’ve observed is that security will knock and announce themselves whether the sign is on the door or not, but they will wait longer for someone to answer the door, before they use a key to enter, if the sign is on the door. If there is no sign on the door, they assume nobody is in the room and will use their key to enter without much of a wait.

I've seen them doing the security check at OKW. They went in and came out no more than 1 minute later with trash bags. (No it wasn't the trash and towel service as there were no towels). They certainly had no time to check people's belongings. I'll agree it is a bit of a nuisance if you are in your room showering or relaxing but nothing I'd get annoyed about.

If the sign being hung on the outside of one’s door doesn’t keep you from being disturbed then what exactly is the sign for?

To let them know you are in the room so they knock first before opening the door and entering.

To stop them from just entering?

Yes.

If that’s the case then you’d need to have it hung around the clock to have any semblance of what should be assumed and privacy.

Doing that would trigger more checks to make sure everyone's okay having not left the room for days.

Just wrapping up a split stay (Kidani/Poly) this week. Along the way we were notified at both resorts of the daily trash service that is really a security check (a search of your room and belongings for weapons)

This is no doubt in response to Las Vegas. I’m a realist and can understand the policy although it is security theatre at best. I’ve also been a bit put off at the level of absolute disregard for our privacy. There is still a placard on the door though now it says room occupied in lieu of do not disturb and let me tell you we were disturbed 4 out of six days. We are early risers and love the afternoon swim and nap before assessing the evening plans. Four times we were woken up by a cast member entering our room without permission through the room occupied sign. I should have prefaced this with the info that is passed on to guests stating if you put the sign out this then triggers housekeeping (yes housekeeping does the “security check” not actual security) to bypass your room and place a phone call to arrange their entry to complete the Security check. Our sign was put out every day and not one day were we called on the days we were away, they came in anyway. On the days we were there pleasantly slumbering and were awoken, we politely told them we don’t want the trash service and assured them all was ok; only to find our trash emptied later that night.

We have teen aged children who we allow to stay in the room at times and now we have to worry about a total stranger from housekeeping coming in weather we want them pet not.

This policy does not make me feel more secure, in fact, we have never felt less confident in our private space here in WDW than we did I this week.

Perhaps they should just search my vehicle and luggage upon arrival and leave my room alone. Those in charge of this ridiculous policy might also actually search the rooms and maybe just maybe rethink the newest cash grab that has come in the form of the start wars lightsaber and staff cases I’ve see every day that 100% could house an actual weapon.
Well, you are posting this around a few boards aren’t you. Short answer here, you can read the longer on another. The big issue for hotels, especially Disney, is human trafficking especially kids. They are looking for that so searching cars and luggage wouldn’t necessarily address that. They will search when they want because warnings would only alert the perp. The stranger from housekeeping or security is a Disney employee so no real concerns there.
As for human trafficking; you’re misinformed. We we were informed at both resorts that it a measure installed in direct response to Las Vegas. Human trafficking is a horrible situation and should be addressed at every turn. I don’t see how a garbage check would uncover a traffic ring at a $700.00 a night resort. Being woken from a nap in the middle of the day in a private space you have rented does not make one feel more safe. Quite the opposite.

Actually Polydweller is not misinformed. The front desk is telling you exactly what they are supposed to tell you, and of course that response would create more positive vibes to guests that they are trying to protect you .... than say that perhaps "things" are happening in the rooms. Orlando has one of the biggest trafficking problems in US and mostly driven because of all the visitors and international visitors to the theme parks. Disney's name is frequently in the conversation. Theme park hotels are a perfect location to make unobvious contact with their customers. The room cost is nothing compared to the money changing hands. This is not good for Disney.

The current room check process could in no way check for someone involved in the LV situation. I mean most Disney resorts don't even have a vantage point. No one intended that kind of harm is leaving their stuff laying around. What these checks can do is look for certain things that could trigger further checks. The walk through is to look for specific items, particularly in the bathrooms. We were involved with checks, I know we were red flagged, I know why and we were even followed one day. We stay off site now.

AND in talking to a personal friend within a resort management office (not front line) they verified it, and the fact that staff is to not say it. No other hotels in Orlando are doing this. This is a Disney issue.

Just so they know to knock, perhaps a few extra times in a positive spin. But it actually signals to them you are in the room and it is an opportunity for them to get eyes on the room and guests. It's not a coincidence it happens often to folks on here .... and we are a tiny percentage of guests.

We haven't been to WDW in almost 4 years so all this is totally new to me. I can tell you, those "room checkers" better be wearing bodycams because if someone barges into our locked room while my nieces are in there alone they better damn well be able to prove they didn't come within 10 feet of them.
Sounds to me like a good way for a child trafficker to get intel on possible victims is to WORK for Disney.

We haven't been to WDW in almost 4 years so all this is totally new to me. I can tell you, those "room checkers" better be wearing bodycams because if someone barges into our locked room while my nieces are in there alone they better damn well be able to prove they didn't come within 10 feet of them.
Sounds to me like a good way for a child trafficker to get intel on possible victims is to WORK for Disney.
And there are plenty reports of busts including Disney cast members.

Instruct your nieces to ask security to come back later. Your nieces don’t have to let them in. Another option is for your nieces to step outside while security goes into the room.

Instruct your nieces to ask security to come back later. Your nieces don’t have to let them in. Another option is for your nieces to step outside while security goes into the room.

I realize that everyone has there interpretation of normal. Nothing typed above sound normal to me.

Disney (yes Disney) security: I’m sorry young ladies but I have to come into your room. Feel free to instruct the adult security member to go away or please vacate the room that costs more per night than many many folks earn in a week so we can inject ourselves into your space daily.

I’m aware this is a bit dramatic but I’m just blown away at how easily people give up simple things (not you in particular Disneylover99) because someone or corporation says it’s for your own good. I just don’t see the that this little “show” of security can prevent anything like the examples being given is worth the subtraction it causes all. I equate it to the bag check farce at the gates. I watched countless strollers being directed to bypass the bag check and metal detectors without so much as a rudimentary search.

Last edited:

Tell me you see that I should not have to do that.

Yes, I am sure we will be prepping them. But my point is that if my 12 year old nieces want to lounge in the *locked* room while the grownups have a drink at the bar, we should feel they are safe doing so. We certainly have in the past, at Disney as well as Universal. and if some of us are going in and out we can't use the security bar.

I realize that everyone has there interpretation of normal. Nothing typed above sound normal to me.

Disney (yes Disney) security: I’m sorry young ladies but I have to come into your room. Feel free to instruct the adult security member to go away or please vacate the room that costs more per night than many many folks earn in a week so we can inject ourselves into your space daily.

I’m aware this is a bit dramatic but I’m just blown away at how easily people give up simple things (not you in particular Disneylover99) because someone or corporation says it’s for your own good. I just don’t see the that this little “show” of security can prevent anything like the examples being given is worth the subtraction it causes all. I equate it to the bag check farce at the gates. I watched countless strollers being directed to bypass the bag check and metal detectors without so much as a rudimentary search.

Thank you for getting it. It's NOT normal. It's insanely creepy and I'm quite honestly surprised Disney hasn't faced some kind of allegations of inappropriate behavior already.

My BIL is a wonderful guy. But he has a temper when it comes to his kids that's more like smash first ask questions later. If he is walking back to the room and see an adult male exiting the spot his little girls are alone, I can assure you there will be trouble. I would rather avoid that but from all these reports it doesn't seem possible and this is not gonna end well. ☹

I think the major point being missed is, you chose to stay on Disney property. Unfortunately, if they want to do a room search they can, it's private property you gave up that right when you chose to stay there. Unless you are willing to abide the rules, then maybe staying on property isn't for you.

On the first day of a trip to VGF last year, someone knocked on the door when our "Room Occupied" sign was up. I opened the door and told the person politely but firmly that I didn't want anyone to knock when that sign was up. He apologized, said he would make a note of it, and it never happened again. On subsequent trips to BLT and PVB, nobody has ever knocked or attempted to enter our room when the "Room Occupied" sign was up. Perhaps Disney is deliberately less strict with longtime DVC members who have visited multiple times and who are obviously highly unlikely to be planning mass murder or to be engaging in child trafficking.

I think the major point being missed is, you chose to stay on Disney property. Unfortunately, if they want to do a room search they can, it's private property you gave up that right when you chose to stay there. Unless you are willing to abide the rules, then maybe staying on property isn't for you.

While I do not disagree with the fact that it is private property etc etc; (not the major point and not missed) it’s a discussion to measure if the policy is worth the customer disapproval. I don’t believe anyone here has stated that they have or plan to disobey the policy. It’s had good points made for and against it. Not that I’m assuming your meaning but I wouldn’t project the intent nefarious intentions on other folks. (Apologies if I’m off base on this.

...and again the like it or leave statements can be tiresome as it’s been stated that some of the people here, myself included are DVC “owners” and abandoning ship is not as easy as “hey let’s book resort xyz off property.

On the first day of a trip to VGF last year, someone knocked on the door when our "Room Occupied" sign was up. I opened the door and told the person politely but firmly that I didn't want anyone to knock when that sign was up. He apologized, said he would make a note of it, and it never happened again. On subsequent trips to BLT and PVB, nobody has ever knocked or attempted to enter our room when the "Room Occupied" sign was up. Perhaps Disney is deliberately less strict with longtime DVC members who have visited multiple times and who are obviously highly unlikely to be planning mass murder or to be engaging in child trafficking.

I hope this is the case. We’ve been staying via dvc at least 2 times a year for the last decade (from Ct. ) and we were swept up this time. Hope is good.

This has been going on for almost a year now. Just add your experiences to the long thread that is FOR experiences with security checks. They are not going to stop doing them....

While I do not disagree with the fact that it is private property etc etc; (not the major point and not missed) it’s a discussion to measure if the policy is worth the customer disapproval. I don’t believe anyone here has stated that they have or plan to disobey the policy. It’s had good points made for and against it. Not that I’m assuming your meaning but I wouldn’t project the intent nefarious intentions on other folks. (Apologies if I’m off base on this.

...and again the like it or leave statements can be tiresome as it’s been stated that some of the people here, myself included are DVC “owners” and abandoning ship is not as easy as “hey let’s book resort xyz off property.
Agreed. Whether it's room checks, restaurant menus, opening hours, ticket prices, or anything else, Disney can clearly do pretty much whatever they like, but that does not mean that people shouldn't discuss or complain about these things, or be met with a response along the lines of "unfortunately, Disney has the right to decide on the menu for the Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen, and if you don't like it, maybe that restaurant isn't for you".

This has been going on for almost a year now. Just add your experiences to the long thread that is FOR experiences with security checks. They are not going to stop doing them....
That thread contains several moderator reminders that it is only for people to report their direct experiences, as opposed to discussing the room checks policy. People wishing to discuss the policy are encouraged to start threads such as the one we are in right now.

I understand what you’re saying, but you might just find that it’s not that big of a deal. Or maybe I’m just used to it now. Lol.

Tell me you see that I should not have to do that.

Yes, I am sure we will be prepping them. But my point is that if my 12 year old nieces want to lounge in the *locked* room while the grownups have a drink at the bar, we should feel they are safe doing so. We certainly have in the past, at Disney as well as Universal. and if some of us are going in and out we can't use the security bar.

I think you can still feel safe. This has been going on for awhile now and I haven’t heard any stories of security harming anyone in the room.

I have a 12 year old daughter and she was my biggest concern when I first heard about these checks. Security did walk in on her once when she was in the room alone. She heard a man knock but chose to ignore him. She thought he would go away, but he didn’t. As soon as he came in and realized she was by herself, he apologized and left quickly without stepping into the room.

Really, the best thing you can do is inform your family and prepare them for the possibility of security coming into your room, especially if you spend a lot of time in your room mid day and/or you forgo housekeeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter