Disclosure Needed for Podcast Cruise

Okay...say you used your points to book a Disney cruise. While on the cruise you see that a company (let's say ACME Corp.-- just as an example) has scheduled some private gatherings for it's employees/customers/etc. that are on the cruise. Do you honestly feel that you should be entitled to go to those events because you are a DVC member that is on a Disney cruise?

I really don't want to start a fight as I understand you feel very strongly about this, but just because you want to use points...well that's between you and member services, it really has nothing to do with Dreams Unlimited.

Your point is well taken, no arguing here. But you are not announcing this event over a forum. I am sure there a lots of "private" parties that probably take place. But promoting an event through forums, well they should be as clear as possible who can attend, who can't. Just like posting the "no return" sign at the front of the store instead of in the back. I am sure I am not the only one unaware of these restrictions. Lets just be up front about it, clear, so we all know what we are "paying" for. Nothing more I need to say on this subject. I'm sure the podcast crew know exactly what the issue is.

Your point is well taken, no arguing here. But you are not announcing this event over a forum. I am sure there a lots of "private" parties that probably take place. But promoting an event through forums, well they should be as clear as possible who can attend, who can't. Just like posting the "no return" sign at the front of the store instead of in the back. I am sure I am not the only one unaware of these restrictions. Lets just be up front about it, clear, so we all know what we are "paying" for. Nothing more I need to say on this subject. I'm sure the podcast crew know exactly what the issue is.

I'm not a cruise person, so I was only half listening to that part of the podcast and I had no problem hearing that you must book through Dreams Unlimited Travel.

I don't think that John was unclear in any way about how this was going to work.

PS-as a DVC member, you probably are aware that booking a cruise using DVC points is not the most cost effective way to go. It was one of the first things I learned on the DVC boards here when I joined DVC.

I totally agree with you that these things need to be disclosed upfront. In this case, they were. On the podcast it was clear that in order to get the discounts and entrance to all podcast events you needed to book with Dreams Unlimited Travel. In the sample pricing that was given again it is spelled out that you need to book with Dreams Unlimited Travel.

I am not a DVC member (yet), but I understand that if you book with DVC on points for one person and cash for the rest, everything, including the cash portion, must be booked through DVC. DVC in effect is your travel agent.

As part of the Podcast crew, I feel that stating that in order to take part in this event you must book through Dreams Unlimited Travel is as straight forward as it gets.

I dont think there is any hidden message or deception there.

By booking through Dreams Unlimited Travel, you get to go on the cruise and attend the Podcast Events.

By booking through DVC, you get to go on the cruise.

I truly cant think of a more honest and open way of saying it.

Kevin

Some one left their cake out in the rain.
:rotfl2:

To the OP - I think we all understand where you are coming from but no one seemed to have any trouble understanding that in order to qualify for any parties, etc that Dreams Unlimited will be putting on, you must book through Dreams. There was nothing deceptive about that. No need for a fight here - John has given some great alternatives and to be honest, my first thought when I read post #1 I thought "the OP should just rent out their points and pay cash - they'll make money anyway!" In any case, I really hope the OP decides to take John's advice and join us - I know we are going to have a blast!

Ever read through one of those threads that leaves your mouth agape in disbelief and wonderment? This was one:crazy2:

John (and other posters!), you explained it very well and very clear and very patiently (the first time, too!)!

:banana: :banana: :banana: So, how far away is May 2009???:banana: :banana: :banana:

As part of the Podcast crew, I feel that stating that in order to take part in this event you must book through Dreams Unlimited Travel is as staright forward as it gets.

By booking through Dreams Unlimited Travel, you get to go on the cruise and attend the Podcast Events.

By booking through DYC, you get to go on the cruise.

Kevin

YUP that pretty well sums it up :cool1:

:rotfl2:

To the OP - I think we all understand where you are coming from but no one seemed to have any trouble understanding that in order to qualify for any parties, etc that Dreams Unlimited will be putting on, you must book through Dreams.
In all honesty, I don't understand where the OP is coming from.:confused3 Last night was the first opportunity I've had to listen to this week's podcast and I understood perfectly that you couldn't book through any other TA, including one of Disney's, and attend any of the events or get any of the discounts or credits...and I was driving during rush hour! I don't see anything deceptive or misleading about any of the proposed deal, and I think it is a deal.

Sorry the OP misunderstood, but arguing on this thread with John didn't change the facts.

My 2 cents to anyone who cares to listen.

I am a DVC member and if I were to decide to use points for a cruise, I would fully expect to NOT have access to an event that is not sponsored by Disney.

Geeze Louise, Pete just shelled out some serious cheese back in December (I think Dec) to have a get together for everyone at the Swan & Dolphin.

Maybe they can charge an admission to those who want attend the Podcast events and to use DVC points. But then I guess people would complain that the admission was too expensive.

Using DVC Points for a cruise is a total waste of DVC Points IMHO (YMMV). John pointed out that someone could rent out there points, pocket some $$$, and still have plenty for to pay for a cruise from DU.

I think what Pete is doing is pretty darn nice and the last thing the I think they needs is to start having a whole bunch of disclosures for something that they are sponsoring.

I can equate this type of disclosure in the same manner as those disclosures of not to use a hair dryer in the bathtub.

:confused3

In all honesty, I don't understand where the OP is coming from.:confused3 Last night was the first opportunity I've had to listen to this week's podcast and I understood perfectly that you couldn't book through any other TA, including one of Disney's, and attend any of the events or get any of the discounts or credits...and I was driving during rush hour! I don't see anything deceptive or misleading about any of the proposed deal, and I think it is a deal.

Sorry the OP misunderstood, but arguing on this thread with John didn't change the facts.
By "understand where the OP is coming from" I meant their frustration but if you continue reading the sentence you'll see that I agree with you and everyone one else....
I'm just trying to keep peace here - is that so much to ask? Sometimes there is too much popcorn:: and not enough :grouphug:
Come on people - we are planning a freakin' Disney Cruise! Can we not all get along???

As part of the Podcast crew, I feel that stating that in order to take part in this event you must book through Dreams Unlimited Travel is as straight forward as it gets.

By booking through DVC, you get to go on the cruise.

Kevin

The Podcast Team was very clear about the cruise. I can't imagine a Podcast Cruise with events, etc. happening any other way. It's a private event!

By "understand where the OP is coming from" I meant their frustration but if you continue reading the sentence you'll see that I agree with you and everyone one else....
I'm just trying to keep peace here - is that so much to ask? Sometimes there is too much popcorn:: and not enough :grouphug:
Come on people - we are planning a freakin' Disney Cruise! Can we not all get along???
I appreciate your desire to be the peace maker on this thread and was not trying to say that you were not agreeing with those of us that understood that one had to book through DU.

However, I went back and listened to the pod cast from 1/6/08 to verify that it was clear that you had to book through DU and when Pete announced the Podcast cruise he said it would be the "best deal you can get anywhere on a cruise if you go through Dreams Unlimited" and turned it over to John to give the details. During John's explanation of what would be included, Kevin chimed in that to be eligible for the benefits you had to book through DU and Pete also immediately chimed in on John's explanation that you had to book through DU.

So, since this thread was posted on the podcast forum, the OP apparently has access to the podcast that explained it all, so I don't understand how he/she misunderstood. That is no indictment of you or anyone else that has posted to this thread. I just disagreed that I don't understand how the OP thinks that there is anything that is not upfront about having to book through DU or that any disclaimers are needed to be added to an already clear policy.

Gosh I have to jump in...I never can keep my mouth shut :guilty: I have not read the whole thread so if I repeat someone else sorry this is jmo

I am a DVC member and have wanted to book through Dreams but since I am a DVC member I can't call up and say "hey I didn't book but will you do my ADR's?" :lmao: and if they did do that they have every right to charge me for me it.

They are fair and they are upfront about it they own a travel agency, when they recommend something they make it clear if they make money or have a business relationship..... they do the podcasts for free, their message board is for free, (on their own time!) they do A LOT more than they have too do they charge us for them?

The basket I won from the meet was NICE it was full of wonderful things, the podmeet was top of the line, they did not charge us at the door.

So I am happy to support Dreams Unlimited and book my trip through them on the cruise! :) I am banking my DVC points or using going to Disney twice....(I will not visit DW in May....stupid crowded you know! :rotfl2: ) I hope they make a lot of money on the cruise! I am happy to support them!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter