Disboutiquers Part 7 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Okay, here are my birthday girls.

Our family tradition is to wake the birthday person by coming into their room and singing happy birthday. Then they get to open some or all of their presents.

I made the quilt, sheet and pillow for Lily's Bitty Baby crib:

th_IMG_1220-1.jpg

Her new princess coat:

th_IMG_1221-1.jpg

The birthday outfit I decided to make at the last minute:

th_IMG_1223-1.jpg

th_IMG_1246-1.jpg

Jayden and her 2 BFFs that came with us for her birthday party party:

th_IMG_1260-1.jpg

And Luke on the ride home--he slept like this for about 30 minutes. :confused3 :rotfl2: at least the water bottle was empty. I guess he was tired.

th_IMG_1263-1.jpg

And cake and ice cream at home after a looooong day at the amusement park:

th_IMG_1280-1.jpg

th_IMG_1275-1.jpg

Love the outfit! The picture of Luke is so funny!:rotfl: I wish I could sleep like that!

thanks for sharing!!!:goodvibes *almost* makes me want to have babies of my own...almost...maybe...someday...maybe...

:flower3:

Just go ahead Miss Cammie! Have a baby! They are SO WORTH IT!

Wow !! what a coincidence!! I am working on a handbag for my mother and it is kind of similar (same:lmao: ) in style like that one (and I thought that I was being original:rotfl2: )

this is the pattern I made
handbag
th_2007_08240003.jpg

lining (cut smaller than bag)
th_2007_08240007.jpg

I made the bottom piece 3"bigger at each side for tabs
th_2007_08240004.jpg

this is a draft of what is supposed to look
th_2007_08240006-1.jpg

Linnette

Linnette, Thanks for posting that. I'd love to see a picture when you're finished! Thanks to you, I may have the courage to draft my own pattern for something besides a plain valance!

yeah that little einsteins cake is amazing did u make it urself???:cutie:

I wish. I had it made at a local bakery and I added the characters around the side. I think the pattern (or something like it) is in the latest Wilton cake book. You know most people use fondant but I really don't like the taste of it so I asked her to do icing.

DSC_0031.jpg

Someone requested a larger photo of the animal kingdom dress. The ruffe and straps were made with the red and black mickey head fabric from Hobby Lobby. I used the Strappy Sundress pattern but I just tied the straps around the neck instead of adding the loop. This was the first time that I used the pattern and it was very easy. I made another dress using the pattern but I reduced the size of the bottom skirt to almost half. It was a totally different look. I love both dresses and would definately recommend the YCMT pattern to everyone.

MARKDOWN FABRIC: We just got back from Hancocks and they have lots of decorator fabric 75%. Some of the fabric is lightweight and can be used for pants, skirts, purses, etc. Most of it was 2.50 and 3.00 a yard. I'll try to post some photos later.

What a beautiful Cinderella dress and Animal Kingdom dress! I just LOVE the animal kingdom fabric. Where did you get it and what is the pattern you used? I tried looking at the YCMT patterns, but it is hard to find.

I actually have a question for you all that I am hoping you can help me out with. I am making a Cinderella dress for my daughter using the Butterick pattern 4320, but I wanted to change the sleeves so they actually are skinny and puff straight up like Cinderella's, not the poofy short sleeve they have on the pattern. I am having a tough time figuring out how to make this sort of sleeve and I was wondering if you have any tips or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Heidi

How adorable! Looks like such a fun day. Lily looks like she had a blast, as does Jayden. Jayden's eyes are just beautiful- what color are they? They remind me a lot of XH's cousins eyes. I always called them "honey" colored. Soooo beautiful.

Thanks. They were blue when she was born, then turned green, then kind of hazel. Now they are sort of "golden". I'll have to take a closeup photo. I love her eyes. In jr. high I once had a boy I liked tell me I had yellow eyes :confused3 :rotfl:

Ok - first question - I have a Singer pretty basic machine model 2662 - i lent it out to my SIL and it came back without the bobbin cover plate. I have tried the website and Joann's and searched the web but have been unable to find a replacement. does anyone know where I can get one? I have been using clear tape to cover the bobbin (i have two pieces stuck together over the opening so there is no sticky side over the thread) it i the only way I can sew right now.
Carol

If you call Singer directly they may send you a plate for free. In the past during various moves or my forgetfulness I've lost various sewing machine feet and they've always sent them to me for free. They have great customer service.

Here is what they will be wearing to Crystal Palace. Trying to decide if I want to travel with another pettiskirt. Already taking two for MNSSHP. She hasn't started on Attikus's outfits yet. I told her to wait just a little bit longer. I feel like he is growing every day!:goodvibes
DSC00127.jpg

That's adorable. We have ressies for dinner at CP one night and I have no idea what to make for the girls. Kaity won't wear Pooh, Mia doesn't care. So I don't know. I can tell you from experience though that the best way to pack a petti is to fold it and put it in a one gallon Ziploc bag. Works like a charm everytime and I've packed ALOT of pettis.

Is Shannon (Revrob) back yet? It seems like she's been gone a while!

:hug: Thanks for the boost of confidence, my dear! I wish Tessa and Lydia were going to the same school. That would make it easier on both Teresa and I! Tessa doesn't know any of the kids in her school, but she makes friends pretty easily.

Think of it this way, if she's wearing cool custom clothes the other girls will more than likely want to talk to her because she will stand out with all of her cuteness.

th_DSC_0031.jpg

Someone requested a larger photo of the animal kingdom dress. The ruffe and straps were made with the red and black mickey head fabric from Hobby Lobby. I used the Strappy Sundress pattern but I just tied the straps around the neck instead of adding the loop. This was the first time that I used the pattern and it was very easy. I made another dress using the pattern but I reduced the size of the bottom skirt to almost half. It was a totally different look. I love both dresses and would definately recommend the YCMT pattern to everyone.

MARKDOWN FABRIC: We just got back from Hancocks and they have lots of decorator fabric 75%. Some of the fabric is lightweight and can be used for pants, skirts, purses, etc. Most of it was 2.50 and 3.00 a yard. I'll try to post some photos later.

Thank you! The dress is so cute! I love the fabric pattern! Beautiful job!

Can someone please explain to me how they get gathers so even. :confused3 I think I'm useless at it. I'm so scared to cut the Friends around the World fabric for Ash's Epcot oufit and make my first Simply Sweet top because I'm terrified of doing the gathers. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I'm not being patient enough????

Question for all you super smart sewing ladies, I am just a beginner sewer, I have a new Brother Project Runway Edition machine. I followed the directions threading needle and bobbin. The first time I did a practice run, the needle kept coming unthreaded. So I rethreaded, now when practicing and I lift the presser foot to pull fabric away, there are like three threads coming out from the bobbin area, and the needle came unthreaded again. Does anybody understand my runaround question? Basically just asking if there seems to be anything I am doing wrong:confused3 . I have not had to much time to play around with it but daughter and I are anxious to get started, we are starting with a pillow as beginner project. Thanks so much !!

Thanks. They were blue when she was born, then turned green, then kind of hazel. Now they are sort of "golden". I'll have to take a closeup photo. I love her eyes. In jr. high I once had a boy I liked tell me I had yellow eyes :confused3 :rotfl:

XH has a fishing license that lists him as yellow eyes. He has pale, pale green eyes. They could look blue if he wore a blue shirt. They are very pretty and different. Not nearly as beautiful as Miss Jayden's though!! Do the other kiddos have similar eyes.

Can someone please explain to me how they get gathers so even. :confused3 I think I'm useless at it. I'm so scared to cut the Friends around the World fabric for Ash's Epcot oufit and make my first Simply Sweet top because I'm terrified of doing the gathers. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I'm not being patient enough????

2 words- ruffler foot. Seriously, I will never gather any other way. I made one skirt without a ruffler foot and my arms were sooooo sore from ruffling. If I was to ruffle something that was just slightly gathered, I might do the basting stitch with high tension.

Question for all you super smart sewing ladies, I am just a beginner sewer, I have a new Brother Project Runway Edition machine. I followed the directions threading needle and bobbin. The first time I did a practice run, the needle kept coming unthreaded. So I rethreaded, now when practicing and I lift the presser foot to pull fabric away, there are like three threads coming out from the bobbin area, and the needle came unthreaded again. Does anybody understand my runaround question? Basically just asking if there seems to be anything I am doing wrong:confused3 . I have not had to much time to play around with it but daughter and I are anxious to get started, we are starting with a pillow as beginner project. Thanks so much !!

Do you have the thread coming off in the right direction? I am not sure if your thread lays down though, if it stands up then can't really come off in the wrong direction. The 3 thread thing sounds like something might be caught up down in the bobbin area. Take it out and look, usually you can see something going on or just see the bobbin wound around something.

2 words- ruffler foot. Seriously, I will never gather any other way. I made one skirt without a ruffler foot and my arms were sooooo sore from ruffling. If I was to ruffle something that was just slightly gathered, I might do the basting stitch with high tension.

Going to have to suck it up and get one huh????

OK- you've seen it a million times, but here is my craft, sewing room. Have no fear- it was once a jumble of a mess!

Fabric storage
IMG_5378.jpg

Sewing tables
IMG_5376.jpg

reverse view:
IMG_5383.jpg

We actually changed things up some, can you see how??
IMG_5684.jpg

and last but not least.....
IMG_5679.jpg

Can you tell me where you got the tables? They're PERGECT!

Is Shannon (Revrob) back yet? It seems like she's been gone a while!

I'm here. For those that don't know - I was gone for 10 days doing administrative support work for Hurrican Dolly disaster relief. It was very long days, and, at times, quite tedious. By the time I got home, I was exhausted. My DH insisted that we take vacation time when I returned so that we could spend time together as a family. We spent a few days doing fun stuff. I came home to a big backlog of sewing orders (which still aren't complete) and that went right into my completing decorations for a wedding that was to be this weekend. I'm home now, but this is my children's last week of summer break. I'll be spending most of the week getting last minute detail work done for school, and trying to get my children back on "school schedule". I've not had time to do much more than lurk.

When the kids get in school, I'll be in panic mode for our upcoming trip! I've not made the FIRST CUSTOM yet! Having said all that, I'm not completely sure when I'll be back to "normal". I do skim even when I'm not able to read everything.

Can you tell me where you got the tables? They're PERGECT!

I bought those tables about 2 years ago on the Target website. They were on clearance for $89.00 a piece! I thought that was a SCREAMIN' DEAL! And I went full force in getting them. No S&H charges either. They got to my house within a week. I have absolutely LOVED them. I always keep my eye out for clearance things and try to think open mindedly about what I can use things for.

Going to have to suck it up and get one huh????

I have one but don't use it. This is how I gather and I am hesitant to change or learn something new because I think they come out really well.

1) I use upholstery thread (in both the needle and bobbin) to baste around twice. It definitely helps when you are doing a folded over ruffle with double thickness, but if you are doing a ruffle that is just one thickness of fabric, you can just use the upholstery thread in the bobbin.

2) I fasten at the seams, then halfway and maybe halfway again. I keep measuring halfway (by holding the pinned parts together and finding the midpoint of both the skirt and yoke) until I am left with 4-8 inch sections to gather.

3) Then I gather between the pins with my seam ripper. I pull on the top set of basting stitches and then the bottom and then stretch it out to fit between the pins. This is when I watch tv. :)

4) Then I sew, removing the pins as I go. Keep an eye on your bobbin thread! Nothing ruins your mood more than realizing you sewed all the way around and halfway through you ran out of thread and you have to start over.

5) Finish the seams. I have a serger. Before that, I zig zag stitched all the way around.

6) Iron, first on the wrong side then on the right side.

7) Topstitch.

Yes, this takes forever but I really like how the ruffles come out so it is worth it to me. HTH!

I have one but don't use it. This is how I gather and I am hesitant to change or learn something new because I think they come out really well.

1) I use upholstery thread (in both the needle and bobbin) to baste around twice. It definitely helps when you are doing a folded over ruffle with double thickness, but if you are doing a ruffle that is just one thickness of fabric, you can just use the upholstery thread in the bobbin.

2) I fasten at the seams, then halfway and maybe halfway again. I keep measuring halfway (by holding the pinned parts together and finding the midpoint of both the skirt and yoke) until I am left with 4-8 inch sections to gather.

3) Then I gather between the pins with my seam ripper. I pull on the top set of basting stitches and then the bottom and then stretch it out to fit between the pins. This is when I watch tv. :)

4) Then I sew, removing the pins as I go. Keep an eye on your bobbin thread! Nothing ruins your mood more than realizing you sewed all the way around and halfway through you ran out of thread and you have to start over.

5) Finish the seams. I have a serger. Before that, I zig zag stitched all the way around.

6) Iron, first on the wrong side then on the right side.

7) Topstitch.

Yes, this takes forever but I really like how the ruffles come out so it is worth it to me. HTH!

Yes, that helps immensely...it also helped me realized that I AM very impatient!!!! But I want them to look right so I'm going to have to gain some patience!!!

Can I ask why the upholstery thread?

Yes, that helps immensely...it also helped me realized that I AM very impatient!!!! But I want them to look right so I'm going to have to gain some patience!!!

Can I ask why the upholstery thread?

Tom gave me that tip, otherwise the thread can break as you gather. I was having a hard time gathering those double ruffles that were 2x the skirt until he gave me that tip.

I actually find it relaxing, until I've realized I spent so many hours sewing instead of all the other things I needed to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!