Disboutiquers Part 27 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

QUESTION

Do you wash your fabric before you sew? We never did in Home Ec. So I wasn't sure whether to wash before or after I make the shorts??

Thanks!
Wash first! I wash on cold water, delicate and do not use fabric softener. Doing all of that will help prevent the fabric from fading. I also don't like working with unwashed things as I am iffy on the dyes used and chemicals (I'm not a germaphobe -- but chemicals on fabrics weird me out which is why I hate making the pillows for GKTW as they don't want it prewashed).

Yes I do.

Wash first! I wash on cold water, delicate and do not use fabric softener. Doing all of that will help prevent the fabric from fading. I also don't like working with unwashed things as I am iffy on the dyes used and chemicals (I'm not a germaphobe -- but chemicals on fabrics weird me out which is why I hate making the pillows for GKTW as they don't want it prewashed).

Good to know, before I did anything. Do you line dry or put in the dryer?:confused3

I promise I have half a brain even if it doesn't seem like it!!;)

QUESTION

Do you wash your fabric before you sew? We never did in Home Ec. So I wasn't sure whether to wash before or after I make the shorts??

Thanks!

I do not. Was told by someone who has sewn for 20+ years that it rarely makes a difference. I havent had any issues so far except for shirred stuff. That stuff shrank by half!

I would LOVE to see the front of this dress!!!

I used a CarlaC pattern and added a bow. But the jacket for $4, and added Cinderella on the back.

Disney2011085-2.jpg

Disney2011090.jpg

I didn't get a very good close up of the front, or rather

QUESTION

Thanks!

Your supposed to for shrinkage. I don't usually, and haven't really had a problem. I hate the way it comes out of the wash without the finish on it and it's too wrinkly.

QUESTION

Thanks!

Good to know, before I did anything. Do you line dry or put in the dryer?:confused3

I promise I have half a brain even if it doesn't seem like it!!;)

I toss it in the dryer on the casual setting. I wash most things on delicate cold and dry most things on casual. Sheets and towels are an exception.

I see a lot of people don't wash, but I'd hate for one fabric to shrink a different amount than another, which is important for appliques that it doesn't happen. I'm also just weirded out by chemicals in things. I wash all our brand new clothes before wearing them too. Otherwise I'm really normal!

I pm'd you as well to offer help on a couple of days -- I think you can do it all on your own but would be glad to assist if you're uncertain.

Good deal! No advice on the iron though mine is on it's last leg as well. The light doesn't work anymore after it jumped off the ironing board onto the floor and sometimes it spits icky stuff on my fabric (though the icky washes out -- it's just discolored water:confused3). I haven't been sewing -- I've been mulching and cleaning beds :mad:

Aww, thanks. I hardly ever do it by hand anymore though since I got my PE770. Marianne has taken over in the hand applique dept -- though now she has her new toy!

Yeah - I still think D~ is the queen of the hand applique!!! Her skills FAR outshine mine!

I ended up buying a newer version of my old iron - so another Sunbeam - they had it at COSTCO for $29.98 or whatever the change was. So far, so good!

QUESTION

Thanks!

I do! I've had things shrink when I didn't and it messed stuff up. I agree with whomever made the comment about the finish though . . . BUT, I have to say, I'd rather know what the fabric will look like after a washing BEFORE I sew than after.

Thanks so much for welcoming me, even though I haven't begun my lessons yet, I CANNOT wait!!!!!

My grandmother sewed-she had one of the sewing machines with the black pedal-non electric. My mom didn't sew and when I was younger I didn't want to learn.

I took Home Ec in high school, but we actually didn't get to finish our sewing project: we ended up with 3 teachers that year so we really didn't learn the things we should.

DD13 knows how to sew as she took classes from the same person I am going to be taking classes from.

I will keep lurking and enjoying the beautiful creations that all of you have made and hopefully soon I will be able to do the same.

Thanks again.

QUESTION

Thanks!

I wash my fabric and dry it in the dryer as I would after I have sewn it.

Yeah - I still think D~ is the queen of the hand applique!!! Her skills FAR outshine mine!

I ended up buying a newer version of my old iron - so another Sunbeam - they had it at COSTCO for $29.98 or whatever the change was. So far, so good!

Good luck with the new iron, I have burned out two of them in the last year! I went to JoAnns for a replacement and found a $50.00 singer on clearance for $14.00 I am hoping it lasts a little longer than the others. I was ready to fork over big buck for a rowneta but when I founds the singer on clearance I had to try.

Thanks so much for welcoming me, even though I haven't begun my lessons yet, I CANNOT wait!!!!!

My grandmother sewed-she had one of the sewing machines with the black pedal-non electric. My mom didn't sew and when I was younger I didn't want to learn.

I took Home Ec in high school, but we actually didn't get to finish our sewing project: we ended up with 3 teachers that year so we really didn't learn the things we should.

DD13 knows how to sew as she took classes from the same person I am going to be taking classes from.

I will keep lurking and enjoying the beautiful creations that all of you have made and hopefully soon I will be able to do the same.

Thanks again.

Enjoy your lessons and don't forget to share with us the pictures of your finished projects.

I lost my quotes but wanted to say:

NINI: Sending prayers your way for everyone. :hug::hug::hug:

Also I wash ALL my fabrics before using (new clothes too) on cold no softener and Dry on my regular setting. Then Starch, Press and fold for storage. I usually do this as I bring the fabric home. It's not the most fun, but I like knowing I can pull from my stash and go straight to work without having to Wash, Dry, Press....just my 2 cents. Of course right now my stash is really a small bin barley half full......

I also wanted to say,

This weekend I will be organizing my space and making room for my new babies and a proper fabric stash when they come home on Monday.....I'll have a lot of washing drying pressing to do next week. I'll take pictures to share!

After my son got an allergy rash in a very sensitive area from putting on a brand new bathing suit because he just couldn't wait to wear it, he decided I wasn't as crazy as he thought for washing new clothes.

How is that for a long sentence!!

I do not. Was told by someone who has sewn for 20+ years that it rarely makes a difference. I havent had any issues so far except for shirred stuff. That stuff shrank by half!

I sew a lot and rarely prewash unless it is a fabric that I know is very likely to shrink. I have a huge stash - 16 large rubbermaid tubs and another dozen smaller tubs...and a spreadsheet on Google docs to organize it all. In fact, I am going through fabric and reorganizing some this afternoon.

Wow, I haven't been on here since Monday! I need to go backwards and catch up.

I didn't prewash my fabric years ago....but I do now...to get the dye smell out of it and just in case it shrinks when washed and dryed.

I hardly ever pre-wash and I rarely have problems. The only time I pre-wash is if I am mixing different types of fabrics. Like if I am doing a patchwork skirt with several different types of fabric in it, I will make sure I've prewashed all the fabrics.

Here is what I worked on today. First up is another upcycled dress:
P3160251.jpg

I hit the Salvation Army store on half price Wednesday. I picked up a very large woman's shirt. I used a knit dress that we already had to trace an outline of how I wanted to cut it and then kind of winged it. I am very happy with how it turned out. I bought two more shirts (for $1.50 each) to play around with. I had planned on adding an applique to the front of this one but I liked the fabric just by itself.

Then some of the knit fabric that I ordered off of Etsy arrived, along with the fold over elastic that I ordered. This was my first time using fold over elastic. I really like it. I will definitely be using it more in the future. They didn't carry it in Joanns but I was able to find a ton of really cute colors and patterns on Etsy and Ebay.
P3160252.jpg

I am not sure why but the neckline of the dress turned out kind of floppy. I didn't stretch either the material or the fold over elastic when I was sewing so I don't know what happened! Any ideas?
P3160253.jpg

Wow I love the Up cycled dresses....both prints are so pretty.

Chiara, I don't know exactly what a moving buddy does....but I would love to be your buddy anyway!

Well I am off to continue working on my sewing space. Tomorrow I'll go out and find a bookshelf to put my fabric on.

I feel like I have been neglecting the Dis!

Things are so busy here right now. Yesterday my daughter (28) had her wrist surgery. They have been trying to avoid it for three years. She had a cyst growing inside the bone...everytime it would grow too big her bone would crack. She has spent so much time in casts hoping to make it better.

They finally decided to go in, take out the cyst and graft the bone back together. When they went in they found a lot of inflammation that had to be cleaned out. After he got a closer look at the cyst he doesn't think that is entirely the whole problem. He thinks the inflammation might be more of a problem than the cyst actually was, but removed it any way. She is looking at 3 to 4 weeks out of work with recuperation.

This morning we have surgery number 2...it will be my 4 year old grand daughters 4th surgery for club foot. This will be her biggie...they are reconstructing her ankle, doing something to the top of her foot and lengthening her leg. Again we are looking at a bone graft. The doctor said it will be at least 2 years before the leg will look 'normal'. She will be in a cast up to her but cheeks for at 6 to 8 weeks and then a regular walking cast for another 6 to 8 weeks. Then a brace for the remained of the 2 year period.

Her last surgery was a little over 18 months ago....so she doesn't completely remember it...however last time she discovered a way to hop around with the cast up to her but cheeks.... this time it will be a bit harder to keep her from trying...any pressure on the foot could mean the surgery won't take properly! (she is a bit stubborn...just like her grand mother!)

As you can see...I am a bit more worried about this surgery than I will admit. I know it is going to be hard on her...and me! I can't stand to see my babies hurting and not being able to do anything about it. My daughter in law is a nervous wreck! She hasn't be able to sleep for days!

I would appreciate it if everyone could keep good thoughts and prayers coming our way today!

Thanks a million..

Nini

I will be praying for smooth surgeries, quick healing, and successful outcomes.

QUESTION

Thanks!

I do a mixture of both - it depends on the material. That's why I always wash things for BG's prior to sending them out. I also don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheet ever as I am allergic to some scents and dyes.

Thanks again.

Enjoy the classes. I'd say practice, practice, and practice is the key to success!

Here is what I worked on today. First up is another upcycled dress:
th_P3160251.jpg

I hit the Salvation Army store on half price Wednesday. I picked up a very large woman's shirt. I used a knit dress that we already had to trace an outline of how I wanted to cut it and then kind of winged it. I am very happy with how it turned out. I bought two more shirts (for $1.50 each) to play around with. I had planned on adding an applique to the front of this one but I liked the fabric just by itself.

Then some of the knit fabric that I ordered off of Etsy arrived, along with the fold over elastic that I ordered. This was my first time using fold over elastic. I really like it. I will definitely be using it more in the future. They didn't carry it in Joanns but I was able to find a ton of really cute colors and patterns on Etsy and Ebay.
th_P3160252.jpg

Great dresses!

here is my first attempt at a you can make this pattern I am really happy with how it turned out
marshacamera2011-2012175.jpg

and a close up of the shiring
marshacamera2011-2012174.jpg

the side
marshacamera2011-2012172.jpg

After my son got an allergy rash in a very sensitive area from putting on a brand new bathing suit because he just couldn't wait to wear it, he decided I wasn't as crazy as he thought for washing new clothes.

How is that for a long sentence!!

I have to wash all my RTW clothes before I wear them because I can smell the dyes in it. But fabric doesn't seem to bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter