Disboutiquers Part 25 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!!

I'm making the Rosetta bag from ycmt.com (SisBoom). I really like the look of pleated ruffles rather than gathered, but the pleating is time-consuming. Is there a faster way to pleat than turning the fabric back and forth and pinning? Is there a tool to use or a presser foot to help with pleating?

Okay, I'll put off
Part IV -- walking to the Disney Store
Part V -- inside the Disney Store
Part VI -- walking to Mary Poppins
Part VII -- seeing Mary Poppins
Part VIII --not going to my son's office
Part IX -- eating at The View
Part X -- the RAIN
Part XI -- walking back to the train station
Part XII -- the train ride home
Part XIII -- driving home from the train station

Since you're more interested in Part III, here goes

When last we spoke I wasn't entirely sure I'd be getting an American Girl doll. Look around my house and you'll see that I don't need a lot more stuff. I was looking forward to the thrill of the hunt and finding one at a garage sale or rummage sale or by the side of the road. But as I tried the second version of the "Katie" dress, it was frustrating not having any guide as to where to put the velcro -- the original pattern called for a zipper, but I wanted to modify it. I didn't have a doll to try it on to see where to put the velcro.

It finally dawned on me that

:) I've been enjoying making the doll clothes, want to make more, so may as well get the body,
:) I can always sell it if I lose interest,
:) I didn't have to worry about my husband because he would never believe I'd pay that much money for a doll (or anything other than a trip to Disney),
:) visiting my son's office was canceled so I didn't need to feel funny about hauling a big ole doll there.

So doll hunting I went. My first criteria was blue eyes. When my first kidlet was born I didn't care if it was a boy or girl, but wanted him/her to have my beautiful baby blue eyes. Mission accomplished. When my second kidlet was born, a girl might have been nice, but at least he had my beautiful baby blue eyes. Looking for a doll with my beautiful baby blue eyes ruled out a lot of dolls!

None of them had white hair :confused3 so on to the next criteria.

I wanted hair that would be relatively manageable. AG sells a lot of hair care stuff, combs, brushes, etc. Seems kind of unfair because I'm thinking combing and brushing the hair does more harm than good, but what do I know. I know what Goldilocks was going through -- some of the hair was too light, some too dark, some too long, some too short, some too curly.

So without further ado, I present my identical twin (before I got old, lumpy, and white haired), Dorrrine. That's right, 3 rs. I don't want her to go through life having people forever spell her name wrong, or ask her if it's one r or two. It's 3. DoRRRine.

stuff006.jpg

stuff007.jpg

. . . and they lived happily ever after. (Hopefully I can still say that tomorrow after she and Ginger meet. I haven't figured out how to liberate her from the box yet, so she and G have been apart.)

DoRRRine is beautiful! Did you notice how all of us waited with utmost "patience" today waiting for you to post? I so thought you would post pics of her in a brand new wardrobe though. I can't believe you haven't spent all day sewing for her -- or maybe you have????

Ginger will always be your "first born." Just knowing that will hopefully keep her happy. Be sure to tell Ginger that Dorrrine is just a caramel haired step-child.

And to think, I went upstairs to sew during your grand reveal:sad2:

In and effort to get us to a new thread-

jord5.jpg

Jord, the first "official" doll of the Boutique board.

jord1.jpg

And Sam "Leia"
100_9591.jpg

Awww... Jord is so cute!!! :lovestruc I love CPK too - but I don't collect them.

If Lucy gets roudy I'm going to send her and her little friend and her brother and sister to see you.....they love family pictures and will make u lots of beautiful memories:rotfl2: they would fit sooooo well in your mailbox.

OK, let's clarify... my mailbox or Cheryl's? My mailbox is REALLY really small. However, according to Cheryl's directions - and where I've pinpointed her building complex to be on Google Earth - she has a very LARGE mail box... and a security guard to handle "packages". Just sayin'. :rolleyes1

AND CHERYL....congrats on your girl! SHE is so pretty, and bright, and clean.....watch out for Ginger....she may paint her nails or give her makeup.

Good point... It's always so hard when you've been the only child for so long.

D~

Help!!

I'm making the Rosetta bag from ycmt.com (SisBoom). I really like the look of pleated ruffles rather than gathered, but the pleating is time-consuming. Is there a faster way to pleat than turning the fabric back and forth and pinning? Is there a tool to use or a presser foot to help with pleating?

I know that the ruffler foot can be set to do pleats - I have not done that with my ruffler foot yet, but according to Carla C.s fabulous tutorial on YMCT (free there) you can do pleats with the ruffler foot. :thumbsup2

DoRRRine is beautiful! Did you notice how all of us waited with utmost "patience" today waiting for you to post?
Very nice - I agree, we were all so patient today - however, had I not been at work, I probably would have been bugging Cheryl all day.

I so thought you would post pics of her in a brand new wardrobe though. I can't believe you haven't spent all day sewing for her -- or maybe you have????

I really thought she would too. I thought Cheryl would snazz her up for her big introduction... :confused3

Ginger will always be your "first born." Just knowing that will hopefully keep her happy. Be sure to tell Ginger that Dorrrine is just a caramel haired step-child.

ROFL.

And to think, I went upstairs to sew during your grand reveal:sad2:

What were you thinking Andrea? Sewing at a time like this? After all - Cheryl is probably going to have you be Dorrrine's second God Mother... :cheer2: RIght Cheryl?

D~

Three more pages...bedtime...Who wants to bet the move happens before 6:30 am Eastern Daylight time?

Cheryl, congratulations on Dorrrine....she is a beauty. I'm just glad that my DD is already in bed...She is 11 but has suddenly gotten the yen for an AG...and she has NEVER played with dolls!

Nini

SAM LEIA:love:

How long ago was Jord first on the board? I had one of those in 1983

Jord has been on the board since the start. You don't see her much anymore since I don't post pics of my dd anymore. Jord is still around and asleep in the next room.:thumbsup2

I should mention Jord is wearing her High School Musical outfit.

Does Ginger at least get the flower to keep? She can stick it out of her neck -- sort of a replacement for her absentee head. I am going to have to look up some AG dolls on the internet. I have no idea where our latest catalogue is and Alexa just isn't into AG dolls. She prefers GA dolls.

I'm glad you got ot have lunch!

Great deals! I may need to head to Kohls but my latest coupon is only 15% off -- pathetic! I like the 30% ones the best but I would settle for 20%.

Glad you are getting hair fixed since you weren't happy with it.

Here is a tut I have marked -- looks simple though I have not tried it. I really should -- I like wearing skirts in summer:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PSKIRT&Store_Code=JC

By the way, did they serve you a Ginger Ale while you were getting your hair redone?

Thanks for the Tute link!
As far as 15% off coupon, that's what I wound up with today . . . I've found that they ALWAYS have the scratch cards at the register and since the WORST you can get is 15%, it never hurts to ask for a scratch card to see if you can do better . . .

LOVING my hair (I'll get someone to take a pic of me tomorrow) and sadly, they did NOT have Ginger Ale at the salon . . .

Here is a tutorial I bookmarked the other day. I think it might have been posted on this thread:confused3 I'm not sure. I am hoping to make myself one soon.

http://www.noodle-head.com/2011/07/vintage-inspired-skirt-tutorial.html

patiently waiting to see if Ginger has a new half sister. (or would it be a step sister?? )

Thanks for the tute!

We were at Old Navy today and we totally rocked! I had two Groupons that I paid $10 for but were worth 20. So I gave each girl a groupon and a little over $20 worth of merchandise. Then we played Spin the Discount and got a coupon for buy one item, get one half off. We walked out with 1 sweatshirt, 2 capris, 1 t-shirt and 4 pairs of short. Above the Groupons, I only put in $15 additional.

I like Rebecca. I think her clothes are the prettiest now that Felicity and Samantha are gone. I'd pick her. We saw her at the store today and we all thought she was the best doll that is available right now. Although they do have Felicity available at the new store since it is in the same state as Williamsburg. For $100 you get Felicity, an activity book, her into story and some other accessories. I think it is a limited time thing.

There, I hope I have moved this along. And not even one of my comments had anything to do with sewing!:rotfl2:

Wow! Awesome deal at ON for you!!! WTG!

Kit is my favorite of the historical dolls that are out right now . . . probably because she looks like I did as a kid (same haircut and freckles!) :-)

Good Old Navy deals! They are so hit or miss for me. If I can catch a good sale early then I do well, but they get picked over so fast. Last spring I did get dd a ton of long sleeve plain t's (which will get embroidered on this fall) but they zilch for ds. But some years I've had fantastic luck for ds there.

Rebecca is adorable. I would likely get her. I might go up to DC this August if a friend from out west still plans on coming (her dh may be there for business). I'd love to go to the AG doll store but ds would likely puke.

I didn't know they sold Felicity still. She is not one I would likely pic. I really think Kit and Molly are adorable. I just wish Kit had longer hair.

I wanted to stock up on the men's T's when they had them for $3 . . . but since DH is still saying he won't wear custom ANYTHING when we go, I didn't bother . . .

I like to think that I am responsible for this mess. :thumbsup2 Maybe, maybe not - but I'll just think that. Everyone on Disboards will have an AG doll of their own to sew for, and no one will know why, it is what it is.

D~

This just made me :rotfl2: How cool would that be? I can see it now - we have a Disboutiquers Meet and ALL bring our AG's with their customs along!

Okay, I'll put off
Part IV -- walking to the Disney Store
Part V -- inside the Disney Store
Part VI -- walking to Mary Poppins
Part VII -- seeing Mary Poppins
Part VIII --not going to my son's office
Part IX -- eating at The View
Part X -- the RAIN
Part XI -- walking back to the train station
Part XII -- the train ride home
Part XIII -- driving home from the train station

Since you're more interested in Part III, here goes

When last we spoke I wasn't entirely sure I'd be getting an American Girl doll. Look around my house and you'll see that I don't need a lot more stuff. I was looking forward to the thrill of the hunt and finding one at a garage sale or rummage sale or by the side of the road. But as I tried the second version of the "Katie" dress, it was frustrating not having any guide as to where to put the velcro -- the original pattern called for a zipper, but I wanted to modify it. I didn't have a doll to try it on to see where to put the velcro.

It finally dawned on me that

:) I've been enjoying making the doll clothes, want to make more, so may as well get the body,
:) I can always sell it if I lose interest,
:) I didn't have to worry about my husband because he would never believe I'd pay that much money for a doll (or anything other than a trip to Disney),
:) visiting my son's office was canceled so I didn't need to feel funny about hauling a big ole doll there.

So doll hunting I went. My first criteria was blue eyes. When my first kidlet was born I didn't care if it was a boy or girl, but wanted him/her to have my beautiful baby blue eyes. Mission accomplished. When my second kidlet was born, a girl might have been nice, but at least he had my beautiful baby blue eyes. Looking for a doll with my beautiful baby blue eyes ruled out a lot of dolls!

None of them had white hair :confused3 so on to the next criteria.

I wanted hair that would be relatively manageable. AG sells a lot of hair care stuff, combs, brushes, etc. Seems kind of unfair because I'm thinking combing and brushing the hair does more harm than good, but what do I know. I know what Goldilocks was going through -- some of the hair was too light, some too dark, some too long, some too short, some too curly.

So without further ado, I present my identical twin (before I got old, lumpy, and white haired), Dorrrine. That's right, 3 rs. I don't want her to go through life having people forever spell her name wrong, or ask her if it's one r or two. It's 3. DoRRRine.

stuff006.jpg

stuff007.jpg

. . . and they lived happily ever after. (Hopefully I can still say that tomorrow after she and Ginger meet. I haven't figured out how to liberate her from the box yet, so she and G have been apart.)

Cheryl - she is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Congratulations!!!! Now, free her from her box already!!!!

Yay - Cheryl got a doll and she named her after MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had a doll named after me before... and surprisingly enough, she looks like me too... beautiful blue eyes and all! :banana: Thanks Cheryl - you made my day!!!

So, lets see some of these clothes you made for Dorrrine!

D~
:lovestruc

Not quite, many of us have had AG for years! And let us not forget "Jord";)

I clicked "multi-quote" for this because I wanted to know who Jord was . . .

I realize that. I was referring to Dorrrine specifically and not to anyone that came before her. I'd be interested in hearing about Jord though.

Cheryl, are you my twin? :confused3

D~

Long lost aunt? :confused3

In an effort to get us to a new thread-

jord5.jpg

Jord, the first "official" doll of the Boutique board.

jord1.jpg

And Sam "Leia"
100_9591.jpg

Thank you for answering my question, but please, share more background!!!!

Help!!

I think D already answered this, but if you have a ruffler foot you should be able to set it to pleats!

I just got home from the salon and then a girls night of chatting poolside afterwards . . . tomorrow I'm heading across town to run errands (and hit a Walmart with a fabric department) . . . one of these days I'll actually get my machine put back in its cabinet and cut out the stuff I need to sew . . . if only these pesky kids would give me some peace and quiet!!! :lmao:

So - I'm totally jealous of the Meet y'all going Sept/Oct will get to have . . . is anyone going the week after Thanksgiving like me???

Three more pages...bedtime...Who wants to bet the move happens before 6:30 am Eastern Daylight time?

Cheryl, congratulations on Dorrrine....she is a beauty. I'm just glad that my DD is already in bed...She is 11 but has suddenly gotten the yen for an AG...and she has NEVER played with dolls!

Nini

I didn't get my first AG until I was 11 . . . I received her for Christmas (as my big present) but everything else I had to save up and buy for myself . . .

SAM LEIA:love:

How long ago was Jord first on the board? I had one of those in 1983

Jord and Sam Leia are cute. I might have to go thread searching and see what fun stuff they did on the boards. :) Looks like Jord was at DHS (or maybe MGM at that time)
I remember the year the CPK's were the must have for Christmas. Was that really '83? Seems like yesterday When I first got mine. I have a pic somewhere.

I don't think I posted these. DD had some jeans that were very worn at the knees, so I embellished them and chopped them into capri's and added a ruffle.
IMG_5907.jpg

and the back
IMG_5908.jpg

And today I made a camera strap cover with a lens cap pocket which is too small for my cap:rolleyes:
IMG_20110714_190857.jpg

Charlotte Ladies, I know I've asked before about the Walmarts with Fabric, but does the

Rock Hill SC Walmart have fabric?

Indian Land, SC?

Indian Trail, NC?

or Monroe, NC?

Thanks! AGAIN :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Jennifer

(Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Mary Jo's this trip....hopefully soon though!)

Jord and Sam Leia are cute. I might have to go thread searching and see what fun stuff they did on the boards. :) Looks like Jord was at DHS (or maybe MGM at that time)
I remember the year the CPK's were the must have for Christmas. Was that really '83? Seems like yesterday When I first got mine. I have a pic somewhere.

I don't think I posted these. DD had some jeans that were very worn at the knees, so I embellished them and chopped them into capri's and added a ruffle.
th_IMG_5907.jpg

and the back
th_IMG_5908.jpg

And today I made a camera strap cover with a lens cap pocket which is too small for my cap:rolleyes:
th_IMG_20110714_190857.jpg

The capris are adorable! Your dd's looks just amaze me. I don't know if it's her eyes, her smile, her hair, her coloring -- there is just something about her that makes me wish she were mine. Would you like to trade her for a sassy 7 year old? J/K, I love my sassy girl to pieces and my sassy girl is cute in her own way and if she doesn't grind her adult teeth she someday may have a nice smile. If she does grind her adult teeth like she has her baby ones I am in for a heap load of dental work with the child.

I am sorry your camera strap pocket didn't quite work out b/c the strap cover is really neat. I am wondering if there is a way to fix it?

Wow! See what 5 days with no Internet will do to your ability to keep up?!?! :scared1: everything looks really good. I especially LoVE the Ohana outfits. :)

I've been busy. Having a great time visiting family. I spent a good chunk of the day sewing today. Got 2 crayon rolls, 2 pair of upcycled boys jean shorts, 1 girls top, 2 pair of pj pants (minus elastic) all made and 3 sets of pjs cut out today. Pretty productive! Can't wait to get pics and share them with you.

IMG_5907.jpg

and the back
IMG_5908.jpg

IMG_20110714_190857.jpg

I totally collected CPK's as a kid . . . My Mom & my aunt used to make clothes for them and we did the craft fairs all over New England (sort of like you see AG clothes people now) . . . that's how my mom paid for all my Christmas presents and back to school clothes . . . i can still remember how she had an "in" at a Zares store that would call her when a new shipment of CPK's would arrive . . . she'd drive to the back door and had to pay cash and take whatever doll they gave her. . . but it was a HUGE draw at the craft fairs because they'd sell raffle tickets to win the doll . . .
Then my grandmother got into making the knock off CPKs - does anyone remember how you could buy the heads in a box and sew the bodies? Creeps me out to think about it, but I loved them just the same!!! :rotfl2:

Oh! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE those capris! I so want to make myself a pair like them for our trip!!! It's like you just pulled the picture out of my head!!!!!

Jord is not from 83.

She is an CPK Newborn that was bought and given to my dd in 2005. Jord went EVERYWHERE with dd for years. Jord was well known on the DIS and at WDW. Jord has her own custom Disney outfits. (There was a "mishap" at WDW which resulted in several Disney managers looking for Jord).

(For years we had a spare "Jord" tucked away in case Jord was no longer able to fulfil her duties.)

Jord was at the first Disboards meet(she acted as tour guide). Jord was present when we met Teresa and Heather for the first time.

Charlotte Ladies, I know I've asked before about the Walmarts with Fabric, but does the

Rock Hill SC Walmart have fabric?

Indian Land, SC?

Indian Trail, NC?

or Monroe, NC?

Thanks! AGAIN :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Jennifer

(Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Mary Jo's this trip....hopefully soon though!)

When are you making a trip???

I can tell you that Indianland Walmart (fairly new) on Hwy 521 in SC (it is literally JUST over the NC line) has an entire row of the 2 yd cuts and LOTS of them are on clearance for $5.00 (some even for $4.00). . .

Aboretum Walmart still has a fabric department (Arboretum shopping center is on the corner of Providence Rd & Hwy 51).

From what the other Marianne posted a while back the other two Walmarts that still have fabric are Monroe (but I don't know which one) and Galleria.

I don't THINK Rock Hill has fabric, but there is a Hobby Lobby right across the way if you were there and they didn't.

I know you said you can't make it to Mary Jo's . . . but if you're out on the SW side of Charlotte the BELMONT Walmart still has a decent fabric department.

jord is not from 83.

She is an cpk newborn that was bought and given to my dd in 2005. Jord went everywhere with dd for years. Jord was well known on the dis and at wdw. Jord has her own custom disney outfits. (there was a "mishap" at wdw which resulted in several disney managers looking for jord).

(for years we had a spare "jord" tucked away in case jord was no longer able to fulfil her duties.)

jord was at the first disboards meet(she acted as tour guide). Jord was present when we met teresa and heather for the first time.

awesome!!!!

The capris are adorable! Your dd's looks just amaze me. I don't know if it's her eyes, her smile, her hair, her coloring -- there is just something about her that makes me wish she were mine. Would you like to trade her for a sassy 7 year old? J/K, I love my sassy girl to pieces and my sassy girl is cute in her own way and if she doesn't grind her adult teeth she someday may have a nice smile. If she does grind her adult teeth like she has her baby ones I am in for a heap load of dental work with the child.

I am sorry your camera strap pocket didn't quite work out b/c the strap cover is really neat. I am wondering if there is a way to fix it?
Thanks, Andrea! She looks like her daddy! But I bet you she is every bit as sassy as yours and she, too grinds her teeth. Both my girls are grinders, well DD15 doesn't anymore. My boys never did :confused3
As for the strap, DH says I should just make a bigger pocket and add velcro to it. I'm not too upset over it. It was made with scraps and was done in 20 minutes or so.

Wow! See what 5 days with no Internet will do to your ability to keep up?!?! :scared1: everything looks really good. I especially LoVE the Ohana outfits. :)

I've been busy. Having a great time visiting family. I spent a good chunk of the day sewing today. Got 2 crayon rolls, 2 pair of upcycled boys jean shorts, 1 girls top, 2 pair of pj pants (minus elastic) all made and 3 sets of pjs cut out today. Pretty productive! Can't wait to get pics and share them with you.
Oh I can't wait to see pics. It sounds like you got a lot done! Keep enjoying your family time!

When are you making a trip???

I can tell you that Indianland Walmart (fairly new) on Hwy 521 in SC (it is literally JUST over the NC line) has an entire row of the 2 yd cuts and LOTS of them are on clearance for $5.00 (some even for $4.00). . .

Aboretum Walmart still has a fabric department (Arboretum shopping center is on the corner of Providence Rd & Hwy 51).

From what the other Marianne posted a while back the other two Walmarts that still have fabric are Monroe (but I don't know which one) and Galleria.

I don't THINK Rock Hill has fabric, but there is a Hobby Lobby right across the way if you were there and they didn't.

I know you said you can't make it to Mary Jo's . . . but if you're out on the SW side of Charlotte the BELMONT Walmart still has a decent fabric department.

Headed up tomorrow...I'm introducing a friend to IKEA and conning her into a couple of Walmart stops. We are looping through Monroe (From the Columbia, SC direction) to pick up her DD, then heading to IKEA. I was looking for stops along the path.

THANKS SOOOO Much!!

I made a list of phone numbers and just figured I would call and ask for the fabric department. But if that one had the 2 yard cuts, I want to check that one out! Out of five Walmarts within about 20 minutes of my house there are none with fabric and only one has 8 hooks of 2 yard cuts!

again, THANK YOU :worship::worship::worship:

~Jennifer

Headed up tomorrow...I'm introducing a friend to IKEA and conning her into a couple of Walmart stops. We are looping through Monroe (From the Columbia, SC direction) to pick up her DD, then heading to IKEA. I was looking for stops along the path.

THANKS SOOOO Much!!

I made a list of phone numbers and just figured I would call and ask for the fabric department. But if that one had the 2 yard cuts, I want to check that one out! Out of five Walmarts within about 20 minutes of my house there are none with fabric and only one has 8 hooks of 2 yard cuts!

again, THANK YOU :worship::worship::worship:

~Jennifer

Okay . . . Coming from Columbia but looping towards Monroe . . . will you take 77 N to 485 E or are you coming up 74 from someplace?

If you can come up 521 somehow, stop at Indianland first (it's just north of where 521 & 160 intersect) - that's the one with the 2yd cuts . . . it's in the back row of the store between electronics and cleaning supplies/household goods. It's one row of fabric and one very messy row of notions, etc.

Take 521 North to 485 E (towards Matthews) and hop off at Providence Rd . . . take Providence Rd north to the Arboretum and hit that store's fabric department (I haven't been in quite a while but the other Marianne says it's the best selection between Monroe, Galleria & Arboretum).

You can take Hwy 51 to Monroe Rd/W John St and go North to Galleria Blvd where the Galleria Walmart is . . . that puts you heading in the right direction for Ikea as well . . .

OR - you can always take 51 to 74 and there is a Hobby Lobby right there and a Hancock Fabric just north of there on 74 :)

Hmm . . . what time you heading this way? My plan is to hit that Arboretum Walmart tomorrow morning - maybe I'll see you!!!:thumbsup2

Hope that helps (and I'm a little scared that I can give all those directions without a map) !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!