Disboutiquers Part 16 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

I just glimpsed my ticker and realize I only have three months to go until little one #2 is here (and Lauren came 2 weeks early so my time may be even less). I am not ready in the least. Nothing is ready - no crib, no clothes, nothing. Everything is still in boxes n the basement from when we moved last year. EEK. I guess I need to get on Brock to paint the nursery.

On my agenda this week is to also find ds some inexpensive denim shorts on sale. Why oh why Target doesn't put theirs on clearance I'll never know. I want to applique them and I want cheap shorts since a)I've never appliqued before and may ruin them and b) it will make the shorts way less versatile (though I'm appliqueing them with Thomas so he'll want to wear them every day). I can't believe my 7 year old is still so infatuated with Thomas. All he wants to do at Disney is ride the trains.
I am on the lookout for some shorts too. Today at Target I picked up a couple pairs of jeans for my DD $7.00. The denim shorts they had were $14.99:scared1: I think I will check Old Navy.
We will be at Disney Dec. 5th thru 12th. We have decided to stay at the campgrounds this year. We've never camped at Disney, so we thought we would try it.
Now, I am on my way to photobucket to get my pictures. If I mess something up, I'm sorry. I will try to get them up correctly.
Do you have an RV ? I think you will love Fort Wilderness!
I can't imagine having to do the yard work on top of all the housework. I don't know how some of you ladies do it! I really do applaud you! My husband OVER-does the yardwork. He mows our 3 acres every other day and has a striper thing that leaves pretty stripes in the lawn. Plus, he gets out the leaf blower and blows off any grass that may be left on the driveway. Here is photo evidence:
swingset002_534x800.jpg

My parents live next door. Let's just say they're not quite as meticulous as my husband. There is a pretty clear line where our yard stops and theirs starts! :rotfl2:
---------
That is a beautiful lawn! It looks like a park!
101_4893.jpg

101_4896.jpg

101_4894.jpg

101_4898.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/
uu21/jlrm2/101_4899.jpg

these are some of my first sewing attempts. Thanks to the ladies for the wonderful Vida tutorials. I never would have attempted this without you both. And thanks to Carla C. patterns. These are the best.
Everything I have learned about sewing has been from this board. I am so excited that I know how to sew ,and I look forward to learning much more. I take constructive criticism well, so lay it on me!
These are all adorable! I love the fabrics you used.
OK, quick question. Has anyone tried to applique a mickey head onto a ribbed tank top? I wasn't even thinking when my DSIL bought these for us. Do you think it would work if I just stretched the tank a bit, then ironed on the applique and the stabilizer?
I did a machine applique Mickey Head on a ribbed tank. I wouldn't stretch the tank.
9/26 - MK, with Kona for dinner
9/27 - AK, with Boma for dinner
9/28 - DS MM for dinner
9/29 - Epcot, LC for dinner
9/30 - MK, CM for dinner
10/1 - EP, Teppan Edo for dinner
10/2 - MK, CP brunch, 'Ohana dinner.

Notice the 1 park per day theme going on. We are travelling with family whos budget is very tight, so we are not doing park hoppers for the first time this year. We are not up early enough to take advantage of EMH am, nor can we stay up late enough for EMH pm, and we do not want to wait for like 2 hours to see Fantasmic again. So, with that in mind we have used the stay away from EMH and F! days plan in combination with recommendations from TGM.
We haven't ever done park hoppers, I think you will have a great time!
Hey everybody! I am about 70+ pages behind and have officially given up on catching up! So I know I'm missing lots of beautiful outfits and children but I cannot keep up! My DH and I went on vacation by ourselves with no children (first time ever!) and he made me leave my computer at home so I wasn't able to keep up.

And once we got back I needed to get busy on back to school outfits for my girls since they start this week. And unfortunately, I'm just not as fast as some of you are and cannot whip outfits out like the rest of you! The way some of you sew so fast amazes me! Anyway, here are my girls on Grace's first day of kindergarten yesterday.

Here they are at the school
IMG_1336.jpg

Grace loved school and couldn't wait to go back today. Claire doesn't start preschool until tomorrow and has had a hard time adjusting to life without her best friend and playmate. Yesterday was not good for her! Poor thing kept asking when Grace was going to come home, is Grace eating lunch, how much longer till we pick her up, etc., etc. She finally just went upstairs and took a nap all by herself. Hopefully tomorrow will make her better since she'll have school.

IMG_1332.jpg
I love the Dress!! So cute.
You all seem to love the YCMT site. What is it you all love about it? Are the patterns just really easy? I am new to sewing, so maybe clueless here, but I thought some of the pattern prices were high considering it is in E format - having to print everything and trace everything to a thinner paper.
I have used many commercial patterns and I must say the YCMT patterns are worth the $$ because their instructions are just so much clearer. Also, the commercial patterns assume you know many sewing terms and basic techniques. Carla has pictures and explanations for every step from purchasing the fabric to cutting and sewing. You don't have to trace it to thinner paper and I only print out the size I need for the item I am sewing. I just printed out the Tunic Pattern for myself and she included a chart that shows which pages to print out for the size I want to sew! BRILLIANT!
Get ready for too many Alexs. She was in the mood for a fashion show today so I took full advantage of it. These are the outfits I'm working on for our October trip. I've got a few little tweaks hear and there and I have to finish up the infamous pink bandana dress, but them I'm done. I also have a pink tink outfit, nemo top, friends around the world dress and the balloon celebration set from last time so she should be all set. Thats the only bad thing about getting ready early-I want to make more.
DSC04357.jpg
DSC04362.jpg
DSC04365.jpg
DSC04367.jpg
DSC04376.jpg
DSC04380.jpg
DSC04387.jpg
DSC04391.jpg
DSC04386.jpg
Wow You have been busy. Very cute outfits! I love the "fishy" face.
Here's our Anastasia we loved (although I thought she was a little too pretty for the "Ugly" part of her role....

anastasiasummerresize.jpg
anastasiadecresize.jpg
Beautiful dresses!
MORNING!
Love everything that has been posted! I just can't keep up! It doesn't help that I have stopped getting emails when there are posts. I can't figure out why.

I wanted to share a shirt I made for me with one of Heather's designs!
IMG_1537.jpg

The partners statue is my al time favorite so I had to have this design. as with all of heathers stuff it stitched out perfectly.
Great job on the applique!

livndisney - I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your pictures. It really makes you wonder what's wrong with some people :sad2:

Also sorry to hear about all the other picture troubles. I tend to be a little paranoid and only post my kids pictures on facebook. Even that makes me a little nervous, but it's a great way to keep all our relatives who live far away up to date on the kids.

We just finished another birthday weekend, so that means I was all about exercising my craft skills. My daughter requested a Minnie cake, so here's what I came up with:

DSC02952.jpg

I love your cake! I tried that recipe for fondant and mine didn't turn out quite as well as yours. It cracked!

Apron Help Needed!!!! I am working on making an apron for my DD's blue belle dress and I was wondering if someone could give me direction on attaching the apron part to the tie part at the top. I just want it to look nice. I don't have a pattern. Anyone?

Just when I thought I had finished all the dresses for our trip in 24 days! I was able to snag an Akershus on Monday! Now I HAVE to have Princess dresses...right?

To those of you who made those wonderful Princess Sundresses...what pattern did you start with? I see some look like Carla C's Simply Sweets... I really wished i had paid more attention to them when I first saw them!

I'm really not very good at making changes to patterns...I know the basics of HOW to do it, just don't have the skill or courage to actually do it.

Any suggestions?

Also, who are we more likely to see? I know it is a rotating thing, and there is no guarantee...but who should I sort of plan for?

Stress and pressure...I LIVE for it! (not really!...although Hubby did ask me what I was going to do after we got back....)

Nini

First day of school here today.
It seems so quiet in the house. Oh the joys of peace and silence!:goodvibes
Firstdayofschoolsecondgrade009.jpg

More photos on FaceBook. But I thought I would share at least one!

Oh Karen, Almighty Cricut Queen, notice the sign? Yes! I did use my CDS and welded all those letters together by myself last night. Whew! I think I finally figured out how to do that!

First day of school here today.
It seems so quiet in the house. Oh the joys of peace and silence!:goodvibes
Firstdayofschoolsecondgrade009.jpg

More photos on FaceBook. But I thought I would share at least one!

Oh Karen, Almighty Cricut Queen, notice the sign? Yes! I did use my CDS and welded all those letters together by myself last night. Whew! I think I finally figured out how to do that!

I can't believe how much that little girl of yours has grown! No so much a baby naymore- huh??

GHood job on the sign! WELDING?? Pretty impressive Tom! If you need any tips for using CDS, just ask, I might be able to help!! I miss seeing you post on this thread. Please visit more often.

Beautiful things, everyone. And I love that Anastasia story and how she remembered you!

Also, who are we more likely to see? I know it is a rotating thing, and there is no guarantee...but who should I sort of plan for?

We saw Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, Snow White, and Ariel (as a human, in her blue dress.) Like you said, it can and will vary. I've heard of Mulan being there too/instead, and I think Alice pops up there too from time to time.

Apron Help Needed!!!! I am working on making an apron for my DD's blue belle dress and I was wondering if someone could give me direction on attaching the apron part to the tie part at the top. I just want it to look nice. I don't have a pattern. Anyone?

I have an idea for you, but someone else might have a better way to do it. This would probably only work for an apron tie about an inch tall or more and I don't think you could do anything like this for an apron that has a top and a bottom section, but just one with a bottom section only.

Cut out the apron tie and sew the bottom seam on it, right sides together...BUT...leave an opening in the middle bottom of it the same length as your finished apron piece. (Sew up the ends too, you can turn it right sides out using the long hole in the bottom of the tie.) Turn the tie right sides out and iron it, making sure that the unfinished edges of the open part of the seam are ironed inward. Insert the top of your finished apron piece into the hole in the seam and pin. Stitch as close to the bottom seam as you can to secure the apron piece inside the apron tie. (I would probably run that stitch all the way along the bottom of the apron tie just to have it all look the same.) Then I think you'd be good to go.

And now, I have something to post! I've been too exhausted lately to do much sewing, and adding an hour of exercise back into my daily schedule (finally) is really cutting into the time I used to use to craft, which is both :( and :).

It's nothing big or impressive, but I'm happy with them because it was a major modification of a simple shorts pattern and they came out exactly as I wanted them to and they fit my daughter really well. I made a pair of white eyelet bloomers to go under my DD's Minnie Mouse Halloween costume. No pics of them on her, because that felt oddly like taking pics of my daughter in her underwear! :rotfl:

3859447888_f835740f47.jpg

She tried them on, said they were great and looked like Minnie's, and then said (in true three year old fashion), "Can I take them off now?" I hope they stay on her in October. It'll be cold-ish here and she'll need as many layers as I can get on her!

Do most of you with embroidery machines use the rayon or polyester thread?

I like the coats and clarks embroidery thread. It is about $5-6 a spool. You get a LOT of thread. It is 100% polyester. Jo Ann's will put thread at 50% every now and then so I stock up. I use it not only for applique but topstiching as well. For regular sewing I used gutterman white or black thread. I do not like the coats and clarks regular thread. It seems to break more than the coats and clarks. At least for me.

YCMT- Other than for a costume I will never buy another commercial pattern. Euro patterns do not count. I have found some of the designers on YCMT are so fantastic (Carla) that reading their patterns is like taking a sewing class. You get a lot more than just a pattern!

Wow I haven't been able to post for a few days.(I didn't realize I had to dump my cookies:rolleyes:)
I can't believe all the wonderfully beautiful outfits you guys are creating.:love:

My dd was looking at some last night and said to me "Why didn't you make me outfits like this when we went to Disneyland?"
I think I'm in trouble.:scared1:

Anyway I picked up the material the other day to make DD a skirt for school.
It's a fine corderoy, and the poke a dot is for the yoke the other is the skirt.
I couldn't resist ~ even though I wasn't suppose to buy anymore material.:rolleyes:

IMG_9598-1.jpg

You all seem to love the YCMT site. What is it you all love about it? Are the patterns just really easy? I am new to sewing, so maybe clueless here, but I thought some of the pattern prices were high considering it is in E format - having to print everything and trace everything to a thinner paper.[/QUOTE]

I must agree with everyone else. These are the best patterns. They are so versatile. I can make easy fit pants for my two year old daughter and make pajama bottoms for my eight and ten year old. It is like three patterns in one. I tried regular patterns. They don't work for me. I will stick with YCMT.

I print my patterns on card stock, though. They seem to last longer that way.

It's a fine corderoy, and the poke a dot is for the yoke the other is the skirt.
I couldn't resist ~ even though I wasn't suppose to buy anymore material.:rolleyes:

IMG_9598-1.jpg

LOVE this! :love: Where did you find it?

I need some professional opinions...

Our trip is in late Nov/Early Dec. I am planning applique princess shirtsand strip skirts for the girls, but I can't decide if I should do short sleeve or long sleeve. :confused3 They'll be wearing them in the evening for Akershus dinner, and maybe during the day at the park. I could always throw a jacket over S/S until we get there, and I'm worried a L/S might be too warm during the day, but I think its hard to predict the weather then.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

LOVE this! :love: Where did you find it?

I need some professional opinions...

Our trip is in late Nov/Early Dec. I am planning applique princess shirtsand strip skirts for the girls, but I can't decide if I should do short sleeve or long sleeve. :confused3 They'll be wearing them in the evening for Akershus dinner, and maybe during the day at the park. I could always throw a jacket over S/S until we get there, and I'm worried a L/S might be too warm during the day, but I think its hard to predict the weather then.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

That is tricky. We went in the first week of Dec. It was in the 80's a few days. What about doing the shirts in short sleeve but having a long sleeve shirt to go underneath? Also little white sweaters always look cute with everything! My best advice is to dress in layers. Tights are something that are easy to put on or take off. Have a great time sewing!

That is tricky. We went in the first week of Dec. It was in the 80's a few days. What about doing the shirts in short sleeve but having a long sleeve shirt to go underneath? Also little white sweaters always look cute with everything! My best advice is to dress in layers. Tights are something that are easy to put on or take off. Have a great time sewing!

My DSis lives in Fort Worth & has something called baby legs (baby leg warmers) that can be easily taken off when the daytime warms up but doesn't complicate diaper access. They are really cute too. She has a few solids & some funky ones too. Tights are such a pain, even for pottytrained ones.

My DSis lives in Fort Worth & has something called baby legs (baby leg warmers) that can be easily taken off when the daytime warms up but doesn't complicate diaper access. They are really cute too. She has a few solids & some funky ones too. Tights are such a pain, even for pottytrained ones.

Rather then spend the money on Babylegs(20) a pop! You can make them! Take women's knee highs and just cut off the foot! You can put a stretch stitch on the cut off part and turn it over to make a hem, or just leave it. There are instructions on Flickr on how to turn the foot into a cuff for the bottom. I made leg warmers for DD5 and 'babylegs' for DD2 (baby at the time) this way. It works great because you can get seasonal ones, etc.

Here is another link I found with similar instructions, she used a serger, but I did not...http://christynelson.net/blog/2009/01/learn-how-to-make-baby-legs-legwarmers.html

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would go with short sleeves and take a sweater. I think long sleeve may be to warm for daytime.
I see you are from Mississippi. Me too:)

I would go with short sleeves and take a sweater. I think long sleeve may be to warm for daytime.
I see you are from Mississippi. Me too:)

Hey neighbor! :wave: Where in MS are you? We're in Hattiesburg.

Thanks for the replies. I agree with you ladies...I think I am going to do short sleeves and layer if needed.

Wow I haven't been able to post for a few days.(I didn't realize I had to dump my cookies:rolleyes:)
I can't believe all the wonderfully beautiful outfits you guys are creating.:love:

My dd was looking at some last night and said to me "Why didn't you make me outfits like this when we went to Disneyland?"
I think I'm in trouble.:scared1:

IMG_9598-1.jpg

EEEEEKKKKKK! I NEED this!!!!!!!! Could you tell me the name of the fabric?
PLEASE, PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP!

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Did I get your attention???

I have a Viking Sapphire 830. I need to replace the cord that goes to the foot control. Not the whole foot control just the cord. I took my machine into the shop two weeks ago and today I found out the cord is back ordered until September 25th!!!!! Holy Crap!!!!

If anyone knows where I can get this cord I would really appreciate it. I am finding a lot of the Viking dealers do not have the cord in stock. I would love to buy it online if I could just find where to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!