Disboutiquers Part 13 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for responding. It's just a simple dress. It actually does say "fusible interfacing" It's just the straps on the dress where the button will go. I guess I picked a sorta difficult pattern for my first dress. I think when I'm done with it, I'm gonna try CarlaC's stripwork top. I'll try the light iron on that you suggested. Thanks again- I've been reading the instructions for days trying to figure out what it was talking about.

Pellon also makes a fusible interfacing and they come in different weights for different uses. This product stays in the fabric when washed. It is like the stuff in collars. It helps make fabric stiff and stand well.

If you have more questions this is the best group of women, and Tom to ask.

Thanks so much for responding. It's just a simple dress. It actually does say "fusible interfacing" It's just the straps on the dress where the button will go. I guess I picked a sorta difficult pattern for my first dress. I think when I'm done with it, I'm gonna try CarlaC's stripwork top. I'll try the light iron on that you suggested. Thanks again- I've been reading the instructions for days trying to figure out what it was talking about.
If you go to the store you can ask for fusible interfacing. It looks like a see through web kinda stuff. I use it when I do appliques to make sure the fabric doesn't go anywhere.
I love that stuff. I have used it like this pattern is calling for to do the buttonholes. It is hard doing buttonholes on something that is flimsy. You could also try just using some kind of tear away stabilizer if you have that. Fusible is great though. Just fuse it onto the wrong side of the fabric and then when you sew right sides together you can iron it again to fuse it to the other piece of fabric. Hope that makes sense. I tend to forget to put the interfacing in so that is why I use the water soluble stuff underneath where I make the buttonhole. I think it works just as good.
Can't wait to see how it comes out!

Whoopie! I finished. It took me so long to the appliqués, I had doubts. I used the Hello Kitty machine and the tiny zig zag stitch that I had to take a break between each one because I felt like I was going blind.

I hope you can tell what it's supposed to be. When we went in March I saw mickey balloons everywhere so I thought it would make a cute birthday skirt. Teresa's husband recognized it when they came over so I think I am good. :thumbsup2 The shirt is one I found with the easter fabric that never got made into anything and everything else was scraps or stash so this was a very cheap birthday outfit!

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Does anyone do all their applique (not just eyes, etc) without a machine? Know a good tutorial?
If you try to satin stitch around an applique with just a needle and thread by hand it will take a really long time unless it is something teeny tiny. I've done satin stitch by hand with hand embroidery, but never around an applique. You could do a blanket stitch by hand and use fabric that doesn't fray. I've done that by hand and it doesn't take long. I've done it with wool felt. Not sure if you are interested in that though.

If you try to satin stitch around an applique with just a needle and thread by hand it will take a really long time unless it is something teeny tiny. I've done satin stitch by hand with hand embroidery, but never around an applique. You could do a blanket stitch by hand and use fabric that doesn't fray. I've done that by hand and it doesn't take long. I've done it with wool felt. Not sure if you are interested in that though.

LOL I'm going to have to google what those stitches are. I am just trying to figure out a project I can try myself without an embroidery machine, and having no sewing machine skills at all.

Whoopie! I finished. It took me so long to the appliqués, I had doubts. I used the Hello Kitty machine and the tiny zig zag stitch that I had to take a break between each one because I felt like I was going blind.

I hope you can tell what it's supposed to be. When we went in March I saw mickey balloons everywhere so I thought it would make a cute birthday skirt. Teresa's husband recognized it when they came over so I think I am good. :thumbsup2 The shirt is one I found with the easter fabric that never got made into anything and everything else was scraps or stash so this was a very cheap birthday outfit!

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

That is so cute! I love the Mickey ballons and it reminds me of the celebrate commericals, it is perfect for a birthday! I love the twirl pic, she looks very happy with her new outfit!

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

Oh my heck that is the cutest. Hunter even likes and wants pants like that. I told him we have to ask you to make them.:laughing: Great Birthday outfit!

LOL I'm going to have to google what those stitches are. I am just trying to figure out a project I can try myself without an embroidery machine, and having no sewing machine skills at all.
http://cottonsnwoolens.blogspot.com/2009/01/wool-tutorial.html
You could also use ultra suede or maybe fleece as long as it doesn't fray on the edges.
http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2007/09/tutorial-hand-sew-felt.aspx
I am sure you could find a better blanket stitch tutorial with your googling skills. :)

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg
That is just darling! I love it!!
Did you see the shirt I made for Disney on Ice? I had a castle with the mickey head balloons. I love mickey balloons! How fun!!! :lovestruc
*EDIT* what did you use for the string???

Pellon also makes a fusible interfacing and they come in different weights for different uses. This product stays in the fabric when washed. It is like the stuff in collars. It helps make fabric stiff and stand well.

If you have more questions this is the best group of women, and Tom to ask.

If you go to the store you can ask for fusible interfacing. It looks like a see through web kinda stuff. I use it when I do appliques to make sure the fabric doesn't go anywhere.
I love that stuff. I have used it like this pattern is calling for to do the buttonholes. It is hard doing buttonholes on something that is flimsy. You could also try just using some kind of tear away stabilizer if you have that. Fusible is great though. Just fuse it onto the wrong side of the fabric and then when you sew right sides together you can iron it again to fuse it to the other piece of fabric. Hope that makes sense. I tend to forget to put the interfacing in so that is why I use the water soluble stuff underneath where I make the buttonhole. I think it works just as good.
Can't wait to see how it comes out!

Wow- yall are so sweet! I'm gonna head to Walmart or Joann's tomorrow to get the interfacing so I can finish the dress. I'm sure I'll have to come back here and read your directions about 100 times. You're a lot clearer than the pattern directions, but I'm so new I dont know anything!I'll post pics when I'm done, but don't expect anything great!

I have been trying to sew an outfit for about two weeks. It's for Megan's birthday, which is Sunday, so hopefully it will be done by then.

BUT...I wanted to share something with my Packers friends. They had the last game of flag football and I was surprised when the coach presented the MVP award...

IMG_1368.jpg

The team ended up 2-5 and the coaches were, um, a little crazy, but I am super proud of Jacob!

Yippeeeee!! How awesome is that??!?!?!? Jacob looks like the man in that pic. Keep wearing the green and gold with pride young man! It'll continue to be magical for you in years to come!!!

That is just darling! I love it!!
Did you see the shirt I made for Disney on Ice? I had a castle with the mickey head balloons. I love mickey balloons! How fun!!! :lovestruc
*EDIT* what did you use for the string???

Thank you! I used ribbon for the strings. It was kind of hard to work with because it didn't bend, but I think the twisty looks like string (I hope!).

Steph...do you mind if I CASE (or lets be honest...CAB!!) you???

Tracie made a bday tshirt design for Aisling and I was trying to think up a fun bottom to go with it.

th_aislingbirthday.jpg

Yes, that would be so cute with a flouncy skirt with mickey head balloons on it! Please do it!

Yippeeeee!! How awesome is that??!?!?!? Jacob looks like the man in that pic. Keep wearing the green and gold with pride young man! It'll continue to be magical for you in years to come!!!

Aw, this made me teary. Thank you!

MinnieVanMom, lost your quote but I would be happy to make some pants with mickeyhead balloons on it for your son!

Wendy (and anyone else interested), I updated my blog with pictures to go with the velcro wristlet instructions (link in my sig). And...

I updated Facebook with pictures of Teresa and T coming to my house (and the pizza place)!

Off to do errands, have a great afternoon!

Steph...do you mind if I CASE (or lets be honest...CAB!!) you???

Tracie made a bday tshirt design for Aisling and I was trying to think up a fun bottom to go with it.

aislingbirthday.jpg

That skirt is way too cute and the Mickey balloons would be perfect with the tee!

Tracie

That is cute. CAN NOT ORDER MORE FABRIC!!!
:rolleyes1

Oh, come on...that is what I said and now more fabric! :rotfl2:

I would love to get my hands on some of the ballerinas and some cordinate if you end up getting it.
I will post the cordinates also, I really like them all so we can decide what we want.

I would be intested I was going to get some from one of the coops and never had time. I will get your squares ent out this week I have been real sick all week and had to finally go get a shot of phenergan Friday so I am still pretty week hadnt been able to hold anythig down for about 4 1/2 days.
Sheri

You take care of yourself! Whenever you get the panels to me will be fine. I really won't work on the quilt until the middle of June. Phnergan doesn't agree with me. I get the involuntary muscle spasms...I'm told it is quite comical to see it..but it just knocks me for a loop!

IMG_1370.jpg

This is a perfect birthday outfit! I think even I could pull that off for DD's birthday party, the day before we leave for WDW.

I've never tried that one. I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored! I've always liked the looks of it, though.

That skirt does look very similar to CarlaC's twirl scallopini. I made Tessa one and I wanted the look of different panels for the scallops. So, I just ran ribbons down the side of each scallop.

Thanks for the info :)

I finally finished the big give outfit. I had to finish today because I started work a week ago Friday and I am out of time.
BigGive1.jpg

BigGivefish.jpg

Hunter is just the sweetest to put girls clothes for me. He even did a perfect point. He asked if the skirt had twirl power? Ok, no more skirts for him to model.:laughing:

I finally finished the big give outfit. I had to finish today because I started work a week ago Friday and I am out of time.
BigGivefish.jpg

BigGivefishoutfit.jpg

Hunter is just the sweetest to put girls clothes for me. He even did a perfect point. He asked if the skirt had twirl power? Ok, no more skirts for him to model.:laughing:

Hunter definitely goes in my "Kids that RAWK!" category. What an awesome helper! Hehe looks like the kind of kid that if I were still teaching I'd put in the front of the class hoping the others would follow his example. Is he a "march to his own drummer" type?

(And the set looks awesome too. SO hard to find Nemo stuff anymore, and we all just LOVE NEMO here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter