Disappointing stay at BWV

TAX GUY

DIS Veteran
I originally posted this as a reply in another thread, but thought it would be better served on it's own...

We just got back from our first stay at BWV (but not our first stay a DVC members). I wasn't impressed. While I did request a room with a view other than the parking lot, I didn't realize it would be soooooooo far away! We had a 2 bedroom lock off, rooms 4004 and 4006. 4th floor, and a country mile from the elevators! There were one more set of rooms past us, then a set of stairs that led down to the back side of the villas (near the bridge to Swan/Dolphin). We were also surprised at the lack of service from bell services and housekeeping. Before check in, we had requested some box fans (asked for 3) and an inflatable mattress. When we arrived, none were in the room. When we called, they said they would bring the fans and mattress right up. Mattress arrived shortly after, but no fans. Wasn't the end of the world, but we did hope to get some. Called after an hour, said they would send them right up. about 30 minutes later, one was delivered. Called and asked for at least one more (wanted for background noise while sleeping... yes, we're weird like that). About an hour later, second fan arrived.

Next morning, our son's friend that slept on the air mattress was flat on the floor. Mattress didn't hold the air. On our way out for the day, I stopped at bell services to request a cot. We would pay what the fee was, if any. Was told there would be no extra charge, and they would get one to our room right away. We enjoy several hours at the park, return around dinner time, no cot. Sigh. We head back out to grab dinner, I again stop at bell services and explain the cot request, and the "miscues" from the night before. I ask again for a cot, and also ask if someone needs to be IN the room for it to be left. Was told no, they would bring it in our room. Happy to report, we had a cot in our room when we returned from dinner. The rest of the stay was mostly fine, until we asked for from fresh towels. With 8 guests staying in the two bedroom lock-off (4 adults: 2 men and 2 women and 4 sixteen year old's: 2 females and 2 males), they brought up 4 towels, 8 face clothes and 8 hand towels. We had to ask for 4 more towels. After the 4th day, I noticed we were dangerously low on toilet paper. Since I would never want to run out of that, I requested some more rolls. With a two bedroom, we had two bathrooms. While each did have spare rolls when we arrived, 8 people used most of that. We were given ONE more roll. A few other miscues related to a birthday and items ordered, but assumed that was because of what they actually had on hand vs what was ordered from family back at home and not on site.

We understand not all visits will be magical and little things will happen. Our disappointment was of the 8 of us, 5 was their first visit. We had been hyping this vacation up for a while, and once we were there, it fell a bit short. There was even mention of perhaps this resort was a training facility only because we were surprised at so many miscues.

Fans, cots, air mattress, extra towels are really not something we get with DVC. This is the 2nd post I heard about requesting an air mattress. We became members in 2006. As a family of 5 we'd stay in 1BR units, including BWV. We HAD to bring air mattress for our 5th (DS) and sheets for it as well as towels for him. It's a home away from home, not a hotel. So we have to wash the towels if needed. Bring extra if needed. Bring things like Keurigs, fans, alarm clocks, air mattresses. (cots...I was always under impression no cots for DVC). If we need extra soap, dish soap, coffee and the such then we have to pay for it. They provide the initial little bit, then we call to request and pay for it. If we need cleaning (don't get daily like a hotel) then we pay for it. But it was always clear no extra beds/bedding provided or towels really.

The fact that they eventually provided you with these things was out of some nicety. As they aren't really supposed to. They may have confused you with the hotel side of Boardwalk as it's the same desk staff. Then they realized the mistake too late and tried to just not send you the stuff.

Just googled and found this:

Do Disney hotels have cots?
You are correct, roll-away beds are not available at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. Unfortunately, air mattresses are also not provided for Guests of the Resort. ... Two of the Moderate Resorts have added a pull-down Murphy bed to many rooms' sleeping accommodations.

Above (maybe they keep some on hand for urgent needs). But as far as DVC, they never have provided cots/airbeds. Or the sheets for them or extra towels. Sorry.

When I was speaking to a rep before our trip (through DVC) they indicated these things could be requested, but no guarantees. I knew this going in. The air mattress was the original purpose of the call, BEFORE we went. I needed to know and plan for the sleeping arrangements before we arrived. I was told, an air mattress is provided, if requested, FREE OF CHARGE. Cots or other roll away beds *may* have an additional fee. Cots are available on a first come, first serve basis, that was also told to be at bell services when I asked the following morning for one, then was immediately told, they have some available.

The box fans are a request and also first come, first served. Same thing applied 3 years ago when we stayed at GF. I asked at check in, and they had fans at our room as we were walking in after checking in. Saying they don't provide those things is false. You can request them, and if they're available, they will bring them to you.

The towels was the day before they replace them. I read the "notice" hanging on the towel bar just AFTER the request was made to housekeeping. So, even with a DVC stay, while daily housekeeping isn't provided, they do provide it ONCE during the stay. Anything more is an additional charge. We were more than happy to pay for a cot, as I mentioned in my OP. I was also prepared to pay for the early change of towels too, but there was no charge, and we also didn't get another new set the next day (when it was originally scheduled).

For the record, I would have been fine had they told me, sorry, we don't have any fans or there's only one. And, if I was told there were no cots available or we can't provide one or there is an additional cost. Each and every time, no matter what it was, I was told, "no problem, they're on their way up with them now". All of our previous stays, as cash paying guests and as DVC members, have all been fantastic and nothing short of magical. This trip, not so much. Over the past 21 years of nearly every other year going to Disney, this stay wasn't what we've seen and been accustomed to.

I'm weird like you, and have trouble sleeping without a fan. If I drive, I bring one,. If I fly i have to settle for a noise machine.

I have been a member for over 20 years with my home resort BWV. I have always known that you have to provide extra bedding . If we called to ask in advance we were told they do not provide cots or bedding for an extra person but if you are within the room max capacity then you can bring your own. We know we are only given a finite number of supplies and always purchase anything extra we need. we wash towels daily. Perhaps new Cast members are trying to be nice but then they only succeed in making the guest miserable when rules are circumvented

It sounds like you received almsot all the items that are request only and not guaranteed. I think all hotels do better when things fall under the standards and not outside the norms which most everything you had was. Even requesting towels for DVC which we have never done. If someone wants clean towels and we're in a larger villa we just throw them in the washing machine ourselves and I suspect many people would. I understand the disappointment in the "no problem" responses" but actually I think that is what DVC gave you in the first place when you called in.

The toilet paper - yes, but it doesn't sound like you ran out and were ok?

When I was speaking to a rep before our trip
Was this rep trying to sell you points, by any chance? Most DVC salespeople are decent, but lately we've been hearing about them misleading potential buyers. Are you a DVC member? New member? Most of us know that there are no cots available, and we need to provide our own bedding if it's needed and the extra towel pack is supposed to be available at a cost. I feel like you were mislead, I'm sorry about that, I hope it hasn't soured you for all DVC resorts and hope it didn't ruin your trip. Some have a sofa bed and a chair that becomes a bed in the living room of the 1 and 2 bedrooms, perhaps next time try out AKV Kidani or OKW. Oh, and by the way, the distance to the rooms is a big drawback at BWV. Still I love it, BW view next February. Can't wait.

Was this rep trying to sell you points, by any chance? Most DVC salespeople are decent, but lately we've been hearing about them misleading potential buyers. Are you a DVC member? New member? Most of us know that there are no cots available, and we need to provide our own bedding if it's needed and the extra towel pack is supposed to be available at a cost. I feel like you were mislead, I'm sorry about that, I hope it hasn't soured you for all DVC resorts and hope it didn't ruin your trip. Some have a sofa bed and a chair that becomes a bed in the living room of the 1 and 2 bedrooms, perhaps next time try out AKV Kidani or OKW. Oh, and by the way, the distance to the rooms is a big drawback at BWV. Still I love it, BW view next February. Can't wait.

Just a guess but if they didn't like the walk at BWV to rooms above Jelly Rolls I'm thinking they definitely wouldn't like the halls at Kidani. :laughing:

I get that there's no towel service, but they only provide 4 towels for 8 people? And I understand not providing bedding for a requested extra sleeping surface, but if you are within the room max why wouldnt there be bedding for that number? It seems odd that they'd designate and book a room for X but not provide for X, at minimum. They charged you more points for the bigger room. Would they book a studio for 4 but only provide 1 set of sheets and 2 sets of towels? Or none?

Everything you ended up upset about were things that dvc does not provide. You are on the hook for your own extra bed, extra towels, fans. The fact that staff tried to accommodate you was a courtesy only. It would have been better if you’d been informed of the rules to avoid disappointment when staff fell short.

I get that there's no towel service, but they only provide 4 towels for 8 people? And I understand not providing bedding for a requested extra sleeping surface, but if you are within the room max why wouldnt there be bedding for that number? It seems odd that they'd designate and book a room for X but not provide for X, at minimum. They charged you more points for the bigger room. Would they book a studio for 4 but only provide 1 set of sheets and 2 sets of towels? Or none?
This is a timeshare, and 1BRs at multiple.of the resorts sleep 4 but allow booking for 5. They have always been clear on the terms of that.

The way I look at it is that it’s a courtesy that they allow the extra person over and above the sleeping surfaces. If a member takes advantage of that courtesy, that member provides the bed and the sheets. It’s a great way to stretch points. Again, all this is clearly laid out at booking, both online and via phone. Getting ruffled about it is really unfounded.

I think they got towels for 8 to start but they requested fresh towels and only got 4 more sent not 8,

Right, but I mean in a room where there are surfaces for X already there. Honestly, nobody in my party wants a rollaway so we just get beds, its not a policy that pertains to me. I don't expect to roll into the Poly one day and find 2 towels on an unmade bed for DH and I. :teeth: I realize the OP wasn't asking about bedding per se.
ETA:
I think they got towels for 8 to start but they requested fresh towels and only got 4 more sent not 8,
I see. That makes more sense.

They provide bedding for all the beds they have. If OP wanted airbed or cot, which DVC doesn't provide typically anyway, they'd need to also bring bedding for the airbed THEY bring.

I thought OP said there were 8 bath towels and 8 wash clothes and I assumed he wanted extra.

And I have never heard of requesting box fans. That one is new to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!