Disabled Parking Tag

Chip_Dale

DIS Veteran
We will need 2 disabled parking tags. We will need one for our vehicle that we are leaving at our home airport and one for the rental car. Will a photocopy of the tag work? Do you think if we contact the DMV will the issue a second parking tag?

we forgot our tag, I explained when we went to park and they directed us to a courtesy lot, right next to the handicapped lot. Not quite as good as a handicapped spot but a lot better than general parking. So if you can' get an extra tag that would be an option

If you have time check with your local department of motor vehicles. In Georgia you can have both a tag and a hang card. I leave my car at the airport and take to hang tag with me

S.C. will only give you 1 of either Plate or Tag - but not both or not 2 of either - it's a pain - so I end up parking in a regular spot at the airport or getting dropped off - and take my hanging tag with me.

A photocopy of the tag will not work, but if you explain your need to the CMs directing traffic, they may direct you to a close spot.
If you don’t have a wheelchair, ECV or other mobility device with you, your shortest walk is usually going to be parking in the regular lot and using the parking lot trams.

Whether you can get a second hangtag or not depends on the state. Some allow it and others don’t.

Also allow time to get this done - I just renewed my tag, and my home state (Oklahoma) it takes 20 business days processing time to get a new hang tag or placard issued.

no you cannot use a photocopy.. but does your state also issue a small wallet card? MD does and while I have never tried that myself, maybe you can show one to the CM directing parking. might be worth it too get into the HA lot.

Unless you have a handicapped hang tag or license plate, you could get a ticket if you park in one of the marked handicapped parking spot (sign, handicapped symbol or blue painted lines).

Unless you have a handicapped hang tag or license plate, you could get a ticket if you park in one of the marked handicapped parking spot (sign, handicapped symbol or blue painted lines).
Exactly. I remember (the late) Cheshire Figment reporting a $250 ticket, I think because he neglected to hang the placard.
From experience, I would try to park in a regular spot at the airport and definitely take the tag with you for your rental car. You will use it a lot at the parks and your resort
Or get dropped off at the terminal and another driver can park? Or use a park & fly where they park and retrieve your vehicle? Or a stay/park/fly, where the lot will be minuscule compared to the airport? Or a car service (town car, taxi, Lyft/Über?) Any of these would probably be cheaper than or comparable to airport rates.

Also allow time to get this done - I just renewed my tag, and my home state (Oklahoma) it takes 20 business days processing time to get a new hang tag or placard issued.

wow, that's crazy,, I can take my renewal form in and get it while I wait.. I'm in WA .. its crazy its different from place to place .!!

On the other hand, I don't need to take any form anywhere. My renewal placard simply comes in the mail just before the old one expires.
That's a bonus.. when I renew I have to get my doctor to sign the forms again ! I guess there is good and bad about both systems ! :)

My tag is issued by the state of Louisiana (we have dual residences in Arkansas and Louisiana but I get my medical care in LA). I've only had my tag for a year. It was extremely easy to get after my doctor signed the forms. I thought I might have to wait in line for hours (which one has to do for a driver's license), but it was very quick. But I do have to do it once a year as my doctor said they make it almost impossible to get a permanent tag. And I probably couldn't have gotten a permanent tag anyway as I register my car in Arkansas as the insurance rates are half of what they are in New Orleans.

Last edited:
My tag is issued by the state of Louisiana (we have dual residences in Arkansas and Louisiana but I get my medical care in LA). I've only had my tag for a year. It was extremely easy to get after my doctor signed the forms. I thought I might have to wait in line for hours (which one has to do for a driver's license), but it was very quick. But I do have to do it once a year as my doctor said they make it almost impossible to get a permanent tag. And I probably couldn't have gotten a permanent tag anyway as I register my car in Arkansas as the insurance rates are half of what they are in New Orleans.

Several years ago, Oklahoma did away with "permanent" tags & placards, due to issues with fraud. An elderly person with a "permanent" placard or tag would pass away, and instead of destroying the placard, or replacing the tag, a family member would just keep using it... and often it would be someone who was able-bodied, but just wanted that "up close" parking spot. :eek: The few remaining "permanent" tags and placards out there are still allowed to be in use, but if you lose that tag or placard, it is replaced with a 5 year version, like I have, that requires you to renew every 5 years by having the physician who is treating your primary disability sign a form and send it in.

My in-laws used to live in NOLA; when they moved home to Oklahoma, Dad said that their (overall) cost of living was very close to half of what it was down there, due in no small part to lower insurance premiums on the house and cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!