Disabled Parking at Universal

We may be in for some confusion. Disney’s site currently states at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hotels-accessibility/
Valet parking at Disney Deluxe hotels is complimentary for any Guest with a valid disability parking permit and a current room or dining reservation at that particular resort. Designated parking areas are available for Guests with disabilities at all Disney Resort hotels. A valid disability-parking permit is required. “

Yes a permit is required BUT as I booked before the date that Disney are charging, my parking would be free anyway (regardless of my disability).

DeejP, it does seem like some states make it much easier than others. We do (all, I think) need our doctors to fill out a form.

I don’t understand surface parking free for guests with disabilities. I don’t think it’s free at the parks (we always stay on site, have APs and are DVC members, so it is free for us at any rate).
The only ‘paid’ parking we get free in Minnesota with a handicapped parking permit is meters. If we park in a paid ramp, we pay the same as everyone else.

Most hotels do offer free valet parking for guests with handicapped parking permits in our experience. The reason is that the handicapped parking is the closest to the entrance, but is often more than 200 feet from the entrance.
By offering free valet parking, there is less issue with the distance and they don’t have to worry about people who are not quickly mobile possibly getting hit by cars pulling up to the entrance to unload.
At WDW, the answer is simple, if they charged disabled for surface parking, more of those that are disabled would opt not to rent/bring a car. This would mean that it would put even more strain on an already overtaxed bus system when it comes to handling disabilities. In general for no disabled guests the buses are not overtaxed, except at the busiest of times. But there can be cases where those that are disabled have to wait for two or three busses even at the least busy times before they can board. If Disney charges disabled guests for parking, then this situation could become even worse.

Personally I dont think hotels should be allowed to charge at all for parking. I think all taxes and fees should be required to be included in the advertised nightly rate. The hotels could then choose to offer a discount if you dont park a car with them, but the advertised price should include one car for every two people or part there of (for example, three people would get two cars)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter