Disabled Parking at Universal

...I know everyone has said that they never have trouble parking but we very rarely have been able to find a handicapped spot anywhere near our room in the evening when we return to our resorts (values or mod). It might be because we can only travel during school breaks but handicapped spaces are few and far between in the evenings...

It's not just school breaks. I avoid those and it's about a 50% shot if I can find a space near my room and about a 25% that I can't find a space anywhere on that half of the resort. I often end up going out to the end of a row and parking so my door opens up to the empty space/tree island on the end so I can get my wheelchair out. They really do need more HC parking at the resorts.

I know WDW is a wonderful place for accessibility so there is a larger percentage of people who need the HC spaces at WDW. I just wish WDW would realize this and allocate more spaces.

Don’t get me wrong - of course if it’s offered, you should take it. I don’t have a placard, but if I did, I would certinly not offer to pay the fee if they’re saying it’s a free with a placard. I just don’t think they should be offering it...all of us would rather spend the money on something other than parking.

And I have to admit, I was a little taken aback at the OP, as it came off, to me at least, as if she didn’t really need the placard, but if it got her free parking at Universal, she’d get one.

I have replied to this below.

Last edited:
my daughter has a very early drs appointment in Philadelphia tomorrow morning, since its a bit of a hike decided to drive over the night before and get a hotel so we'll be close in the morning. parking fees at most of the hotels are $50 a night! I was really irritated with Disney charging parking fees (kind of cancels out the free parking at the parks that they offer to people staying at onsite hotels) but compared to the philly fees their rates are a bargain!

The reason I was asking was because I hire a scooter when I go to Disney and use that to get around on Disney transportation so once the car is parked at the hotel I don’t need proof of disabled parking as we don’t park anywhere else. And yes, I am aware that I could use Disney transportation from the airport which would mean we wouldn’t need to park a car at the hotel but it’s much easier for my husband to drive than it is for me to get on the coach.
As I am coming from the UK to get a disabled parking card would only be worth it (to waste at least half a day whilst I go to get one) IF it would be to save us money. I don’t need it this time to get ‘free’ parking at WDW as we booked before the date when it comes into force, which is why I enquired about the rules at Universal. I’m sorry if it offends you and you think I don’t really need a placard BUT when I am paying for two weeks in a Disney/Universal hotel the costs for additional parking adds up.
For the record I have MS (not that it’s any of your business) and need use of a scooter throughout my stay, and not just in the parks - I get one that is with me throughout my stay.
Hope this clears up your apparent issues with my OP. (and gives you food for thought about your negative comments)

T‘free’ parking at WDW as we booked before the date when it comes into force,

where did you see if you booked before the date of the parking rules you do not have to pay? I thought everyone had to pay after the date it went into effect ( well besides DVC and Handicap)

where did you see if you booked before the date of the parking rules you do not have to pay? I thought everyone had to pay after the date it went into effect ( well besides DVC and Handicap)

The original article on DIS stated (and I’ve seen it elsewhere).....

Guest who make their Resort reservations prior to March 21, 2018, will not be charged for overnight parking.

@gap2368 - there was a short grace period to book during which no parking fees would be charged on any reservation made during that window.

@DeejP - I think there was some confusion regarding your post(s), and if I in any way contributed to that, or hijacking your original post, I apologize. Typically, everyone here is either disabled, or travels with a disabled person; hence the creation of this forum specifically related to that. Many of us here have issues that we aren't comfortable talking about or explaining in a public setting, and it doesn't matter what causes anyone to post here - if you are in this forum, you have a reason to be here.

Since you are coming from the UK, I don't think that anyone would expect you to try and get a US-based handicapped parking permit. And, based on what I have learned from the Manger's office at POFQ, I don't think you would need one - at WDW, simply go to the front desk and explain that you are from the UK (they will be able to see that on your reservation) and that you would like to request that the parking fee be waived.

At Universal, they charge everyone to park, regardless of ability.

I hope you have a lovely trip!

@gap2368 - there was a short grace period to book during which no parking fees would be charged on any reservation made during that window.

@DeejP - I think there was some confusion regarding your post(s), and if I in any way contributed to that, or hijacking your original post, I apologize. Typically, everyone here is either disabled, or travels with a disabled person; hence the creation of this forum specifically related to that. Many of us here have issues that we aren't comfortable talking about or explaining in a public setting, and it doesn't matter what causes anyone to post here - if you are in this forum, you have a reason to be here.

Since you are coming from the UK, I don't think that anyone would expect you to try and get a US-based handicapped parking permit. And, based on what I have learned from the Manger's office at POFQ, I don't think you would need one - at WDW, simply go to the front desk and explain that you are from the UK (they will be able to see that on your reservation) and that you would like to request that the parking fee be waived.

At Universal, they charge everyone to park, regardless of ability.

I hope you have a lovely trip!

Hi, it wasn’t you that upset me but the person who seemed to imply that I didn’t really ‘need’ a permit. I have a blue badge for use here in the UK and in Europe but had seen that you can’t use this in the US and it is recommended that you get a temporary one from a local office in Orlando. As I don’t really need one in the sense that we don’t drive to other places, I didn’t want to waste precious Disney time having to go to an office to get a temporary one. (this might upset people as it looks like I’m only after ‘free parking’ but if it saves us money - and is something I’m entitled to then why would I not, especially as we are at Disney for 10 nights and Universal for 4).

The actual conversation about whether it is right to allow disabled people to have free parking when other guests have to pay is, I think a separate issue. Rightly or wrongly I was enquiring as to whether Universal waived the fee - what person would pay for something if they didn’t have to?

Anyway, as I said, you didn’t need to apologise for anything you have said or for hijacking my post - that’s what forums are all about. I just got annoyed about the implication from the other person who implied certain things about me.

The original article on DIS stated (and I’ve seen it elsewhere).....

Guest who make their Resort reservations prior to March 21, 2018, will not be charged for overnight parking.
Cool I am going at the end of April booked it months ago so I hope I will not have to pay.

DeejP - I read on another post - I think on one of the UK boards - that the poster was able to get a Florida tag by mail from the UK. It sounded like it was a fairly easy process.

Sorry I don’t have the details but I am traveling and doing this on my phone so can’t easily track it down.

DeejP - I read on another post - I think on one of the UK boards - that the poster was able to get a Florida tag by mail from the UK. It sounded like it was a fairly easy process.

Sorry I don’t have the details but I am traveling and doing this on my phone so can’t easily track it down.

It may be on one of the UK Forums as well. Someone posted this on the Resorts Forum thread about receiving one by mail:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...ng-parking-fees.3670107/page-92#post-58971224
It is a very easy process to get a temporary Florida placard. I did it on my last trip and it only cost $15 including them posting it to me in the UK. You can either do it there (and waste a day) or you can apply online ahead of time. I emailed the office. They emailed me back asking for all the information they needed (including dates and photocopies of current badge, and passport). They emailed me when it was finished being processed so that I could phone them with my credit card details. They were quick and efficient, and I actually had the placard in my hand a week later, less than 2 weeks from my initial enquiry. We went in early November, but I think it was good for either 2 or 3 months. It was an absolute life saver on that trip. I had never done it before because I thought it would lose us time having to go to the DVLA equivalent there, but it was so easy and straightforward.

I don't know if that's a standard procedure now, as the FL DMV website doesn't indicate possibility of doing it ahead by email/mail (at least what I've found online). But it could be worth looking into, the worst they can do is say no.

I think it's quite confusing for international visitors to determine what they may need to legally use HA parking spots. In my state, I couldn't find anything on the state website. Since we are a border state with regular traffic down from our northern neighbors, I would assume reciprocity with foreign-issued HA placards. But obviously other states don't offer the same reciprocity.

Enjoy your vacation!

As I am coming from the UK to get a disabled parking card would only be worth it (to waste at least half a day whilst I go to get one) IF it would be to save us money.

you can get one through the post for $15.

I'm from Europe, and just received mine 10 days ago for our stay next month. Took me 5 minutes to scan blue badge, passport, fill form, send to the tax office, then phone for payment.

Hi, it wasn’t you that upset me but the person who seemed to imply that I didn’t really ‘need’ a permit. I have a blue badge for use here in the UK and in Europe but had seen that you can’t use this in the US and it is recommended that you get a temporary one from a local office in Orlando. As I don’t really need one in the sense that we don’t drive to other places, I didn’t want to waste precious Disney time having to go to an office to get a temporary one. (this might upset people as it looks like I’m only after ‘free parking’ but if it saves us money - and is something I’m entitled to then why would I not, especially as we are at Disney for 10 nights and Universal for 4).

The actual conversation about whether it is right to allow disabled people to have free parking when other guests have to pay is, I think a separate issue. Rightly or wrongly I was enquiring as to whether Universal waived the fee - what person would pay for something if they didn’t have to?

Anyway, as I said, you didn’t need to apologise for anything you have said or for hijacking my post - that’s what forums are all about. I just got annoyed about the implication from the other person who implied certain things about me.

When someone posts that they booked in time to get free parking at Disney, but they’ll get a placard if it will get them free parking at Universal, it’s not unreasonable to wonder if the point of the placard is to save money on parking. While that’s obviously not the case with you, it’s not an unreasonable inference.

When someone posts that they booked in time to get free parking at Disney, but they’ll get a placard if it will get them free parking at Universal, it’s not unreasonable to wonder if the point of the placard is to save money on parking. While that’s obviously not the case with you, it’s not an unreasonable inference.
I don't know about requirements outside of the US, but most US states have the following requirements to get a handicap placard:
1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
2. Cannot walk without the assistance of another person, walker, cane, crutches, braces, prosthetic device, or wheelchair.
3. Is restricted by a lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest.
4. Uses portable oxygen.
5. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards by the American Heart Association.
6. Has a diagnosed disease or disorder, including a severe arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic impairment, which creates a severe mobility limitation.
I realize that there are unprofessional personnel (like the ones who over prescribe opioids) but reputable medical professionals adhere to these standards. General fatigue is not considered a mobility limitation. I've dealt with this with elderly relatives (and now myself). Mobility has to be extremely limited before a placard authorization is issued. My dad didn't get one until he was in his late 80s in spite of knee replacement, etc.

In my experience one doesn't just get to tell the doctor that "I want one of those."

I’m not getting into an argument with you about this but do you really think that some people would try and pretend they needed a permit just to get free parking??? Believe me, I’d rather pay thousands of dollars to park rather than having an illness which gives me this ‘perk’ to park for free.

In my honest opinion, I agree that nobody should have to pay to park at a resort, after all, you are paying to stay there so why can’t you get ‘free’ parking (even if it is a hidden cost added to your overnight fee). To blatantly charge for parking is a very strange concept. However, as you yourself agreed with, if the option for this fee to be waived is offered, then why wouldn’t the entitled people utilise it?

you can get one through the post for $15.

I'm from Europe, and just received mine 10 days ago for our stay next month. Took me 5 minutes to scan blue badge, passport, fill form, send to the tax office, then phone for payment.

Thanks for this. I’m confused now as the website I found about it said you had to go to a local office. I’ll look into it again, thanks.

Sorry, me again. The full article is in the WDW section of the DIS - go to resorts and it’s there as a recent news story about the introduction of parking fees at resorts.

We may be in for some confusion. Disney’s site currently states at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/hotels-accessibility/
Valet parking at Disney Deluxe hotels is complimentary for any Guest with a valid disability parking permit and a current room or dining reservation at that particular resort. Designated parking areas are available for Guests with disabilities at all Disney Resort hotels. A valid disability-parking permit is required. “

Yes, I 100% believe some people will do this.

But surely it wouldn’t work? You are either disabled and entitled to a permit or not - you can’t ‘pretend’. Unless the US permit is easy to get - I know the European one isn’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter