Disability and lines

rn448698

Mouseketeer
My mother is coming with us to WDW in December. She is generally mobile and walks with a cane. What’s problematic is that she can’t stand still for long periods of time due to a hip/back issue following knee replacement surgery, but she can walk with her cane just fine. She’s adamant about no wheelchair or ecv, as, again, she’s generally mobile. Her concern is not being able to stand still in long lines. I mentioned that we may want to talk to guest relations about the DAS program. In people’s experience, is this the sort of thing that could result in a receiving DAS? I don’t want to put her through (what she will perceive as) an embarrassing conversation with guest services if Disney won’t accommodate us in this situation.

No. It is a mobility/stamina issue for which the recommendation is virtually always a mobility device.

Option 1: a dollar or which she can use for walking assistance, or as a seat when everyone is just standing in one place.
Option 2: travel with enough people to form a buffer zone around her in any just standing situation; she can pace in the space.

If she doesn’t want to use a wheelchair or ECV, a rollator might work well for her.
It’s a walker with wheels and a fold down seat. Using one would provide the support of a cane, plus a place to sit when she needs to sit.

The main reasons that CMs suggest a mobility device for guests who say they have difficulty standing in line is that DAS doesn’t provide much assistance with that. There are no places to sit and there many attractions where guests will be standing still for 10 minutes or more at a time. Many of them are for shows, where guests stand waiting for the next shoe.
It also includes rides that load in ‘batches’ such as Test Track, Flights of Passage, Tower of Terror and Soarin’

My mother is coming with us to WDW in December. She is generally mobile and walks with a cane. What’s problematic is that she can’t stand still for long periods of time due to a hip/back issue following knee replacement surgery, but she can walk with her cane just fine. She’s adamant about no wheelchair or ecv, as, again, she’s generally mobile. Her concern is not being able to stand still in long lines. I mentioned that we may want to talk to guest relations about the DAS program. In people’s experience, is this the sort of thing that could result in a receiving DAS? I don’t want to put her through (what she will perceive as) an embarrassing conversation with guest services if Disney won’t accommodate us in this situation.
No it is not for mobility problems I would make a bubble around her so that she can walk back and forth some walk in place. The lines are slow moving so there will be a lot of stop and going too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter