DIS Unplugged Made Me Do It

I am a Disney Cruise addict! I hope you love it!

I hope so too!

I tend to be a Disney World "commando" when it comes to touring the parks. It's the one thing my husband has difficulty with- he would love at least a little bit of down time. We both think a cruise might be the perfect compromise!

definitely an interesting topic!

Not sure if they fully "made me do it" but I think the team pushed us more to trying a trip to Disneyland - and specifically to go during the 60th anniversary of the park. i think it was Kevin who said "If you are thinking of going to Disneyland at some point - this is the time to do it!"

So we did it! And we did love all that was going on for the 60th (though it was very crowded - I'd like to try another trip when it is less crowded ... though with Star Wars land coming I expect that to be like 2030 or something)
This was exactly why we went to Disneyland in 2015!

The team also convinced me to go to Aulani!

The team is certainly pushing me to try Aulani .... at this point the idea of being on a flight that long with my three young kids is a strong force to not go (plus the cost)
I get it!! It is very expensive (less so if you are able to rent DVC points).

Just in case @TheMaxRebo needs more encouragement...Aulani is beautiful and there is much to see and do in Hawaii. Because its such a long flight you'll want to stay for at least a week.

Our stays have gotten longer each visit. First one was 3 nights (way too short but it was at the end of an 18-night cruise from Sydney), next was 7 nights (still too short but followed by a 7-nigh cruise around the Hawaiian Islands), then 10 nights (not bad) and 12 nights this year.

Fun;

Y'all seem to be going on a macro-answer to this question. So I will start with going to Walt Disney World in general. I had gone to Universal in October of 2014 because of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I spent a half-day at Downtown Disney and feel in love with the Disney atmosphere. I came home and was just starting to watch YouTube. I discovered the Tuesday show and started to watch the segment shows Dustin did. Well it went from there, a trip to Las Vegas got cancelled and I had a flight credit to use so I decided to go to Orlando again. This time to WDW.

Also I will had that the DIS team has shaped my attitude that there is more to a Disney vacation than just commandoing the parks. The resorts, Disney Springs, dining, shopping etc. I could never just commando the parks when there is a whole world of food and sights at the resorts. I've even played Kathy's favourite game of Bus Roulette for an entire day. It was great.

I have also gone to restaurants and dining experiences like The Star Wars Breakfast and California Grill brunch because of the reviews. I don't take everything they say as gospel though. I have never had a good meal at Homecomin' though and loved Coral Reef.

Just in case @TheMaxRebo needs more encouragement...Aulani is beautiful and there is much to see and do in Hawaii. Because its such a long flight you'll want to stay for at least a week.

Our stays have gotten longer each visit. First one was 3 nights (way too short but it was at the end of an 18-night cruise from Sydney), next was 7 nights (still too short but followed by a 7-nigh cruise around the Hawaiian Islands), then 10 nights (not bad) and 12 nights this year.

Thanks for that! I can see it being in our future ... part if it is that while I would love to do Hawaii there are other things I see higher on my "Bucket list" (taking the kids to Europe, etc.)

We are doing our first cruise next year (also encouraged by the DIS - specifically the Dreams Unlimited Podcast) ... so baby steps to trying new things

Fun;

Y'all seem to be going on a macro-answer to this question. So I will start with going to Walt Disney World in general. I had gone to Universal in October of 2014 because of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I spent a half-day at Downtown Disney and feel in love with the Disney atmosphere. I came home and was just starting to watch YouTube. I discovered the Tuesday show and started to watch the segment shows Dustin did. Well it went from there, a trip to Las Vegas got cancelled and I had a flight credit to use so I decided to go to Orlando again. This time to WDW.

Also I will had that the DIS team has shaped my attitude that there is more to a Disney vacation than just commandoing the parks. The resorts, Disney Springs, dining, shopping etc. I could never just commando the parks when there is a whole world of food and sights at the resorts. I've even played Kathy's favourite game of Bus Roulette for an entire day. It was great.

I have also gone to restaurants and dining experiences like The Star Wars Breakfast and California Grill brunch because of the reviews. I don't take everything they say as gospel though. I have never had a good meal at Homecomin' though and loved Coral Reef.

I don't know Bus Roulette. Can you explain!

I don't know Bus Roulette. Can you explain!

basically you go to the bus stop at your resort and whatever the first bus that shows up is the one you take - so that dictates what park you go to
And then at lunch time you walk out of the park and grab the first/closest bus to a resort. That's where you eat and explore for a while. Then back out to the bus stop of that resort and get on the first park bus that comes....repeat as necessary.

It's on my bucket list!!! I've never been to Hawaii.

basically you go to the bus stop at your resort and whatever the first bus that shows up is the one you take - so that dictates what park you go to

I go to a more extreme version. I head to a park, head to a resort - walk around - head to a park, first bus to another resort and repeat until I'm board. Only thing I don't do is go to values. I stay there, I don't need to visit them.

For me, I never thought about going to the D23 Expo until I saw the DIS coverage at the 2015 Expo. I ended up going this year, and I ended up meeting so many amazing people that have the same interest as me. I also got to see so many "Disney" people in person that I have looked up to for so many years.

Something that they talk about that I really want to do now is the ABD Disneyland Backstage Magic Trip. I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland, but everything that happens prior to Disneyland really has me close to booking one of these!

For me, I never thought about going to the D23 Expo until I saw the DIS coverage at the 2015 Expo. I ended up going this year, and I ended up meeting so many amazing people that have the same interest as me. I also got to see so many "Disney" people in person that I have looked up to for so many years.

Something that they talk about that I really want to do now is the ABD Disneyland Backstage Magic Trip. I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland, but everything that happens prior to Disneyland really has me close to booking one of these!

I feel my desire to go to D23 is now mixed after their coverage as I think it would be really cool but I am totally intimidated by the crowds and the images of Craig sleeping on the floor in line for the panel, etc. ... so pros and cons

I agree about ABD in general and the Backstage Magic Trip specifically though

I feel my desire to go to D23 is now mixed after their coverage as I think it would be really cool but I am totally intimidated by the crowds and the images of Craig sleeping on the floor in line for the panel, etc
Agree - Craig needs to find another place to sleep.

I feel my desire to go to D23 is now mixed after their coverage as I think it would be really cool but I am totally intimidated by the crowds and the images of Craig sleeping on the floor in line for the panel, etc. ... so pros and cons

Totally understand. But Craig and others who camped out chose to do that so they could get into certain panels or certain shopping stores.

I didn't camp out overnight and still had a great time at D23. I had watched many D23 planning videos and listened to different podcasts about what to expect at D23. If you go in with the right mindset and know you can't do everything, you can still have a great time. I thoroughly enjoyed D23 even with all of the lines and the crowds. But it came down to managing my expectations. Plus, if I really got over the crowds, I could just leave and go to DL or DCA and deal with those crowds. :rotfl2:

I do recommend that, if possible, that you attend D23 with someone else. It helps to pass the time when you are in line. Thanks @AMusicLifeForMe for waiting in lines with me!

Totally understand. But Craig and others who camped out chose to do that so they could get into certain panels or certain shopping stores.

I didn't camp out overnight and still had a great time at D23. I had watched many D23 planning videos and listened to different podcasts about what to expect at D23. If you go in with the right mindset and know you can't do everything, you can still have a great time. I thoroughly enjoyed D23 even with all of the lines and the crowds. But it came down to managing my expectations. Plus, if I really got over the crowds, I could just leave and go to DL or DCA and deal with those crowds. :rotfl2:

I do recommend that, if possible, that you attend D23 with someone else. It helps to pass the time when you are in line. Thanks @AMusicLifeForMe for waiting in lines with me!

Thanks for this - I know I would need to do a ton of planning to figureout what I would want to do ... and what is possible. I know I can't do everything but say I did want to see one of the big panels, what else is doable vs when I need to be online for that panel, etc. -

Definitely would look to go with at least one other person - ideally with someone with experience!

I agree about ABD in general and the Backstage Magic Trip specifically though
I showed up on the Friday and Saturday at 4 and 5 a.m. Sunday, I didn't wake up with my alarm so i was late sadly, but getting there before they start forming the line outside is a great way to do it. because, if you are in line for the show floor, in some cases, you go right in and you don't have to worry about going through security still. I got a lot done in the first hour before waiting 5 or 6 hours for Parks & Resorts Presentation. On Friday, i got there at 4 a.m. for the Legends Presentation.

True. I think you and I had a different approach to the Expo. You were willing to go to Disneyland when i was determined to spend the entire day at the Expo (besides on Saturday lol). I agree with managing expectations. All of the videos and pre-planning articles I read online did not do any of it justice. Now I know what to expect, and I also know how to handle it better if I go in 2019 (which i really want to).

Definitely would look to go with at least one other person - ideally with someone with experience!

The invitation is open @TheMaxRebo! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!