DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

DS asked last night if we could go to FreshCo this morning. I looked at him and asked if he was crazy. I said sure if you want to go right at opening. I'm not standing in those lines later in the day.

His girlfriends Birthday and his are later this week and he wanted to get a cake. We are celebrating his birthday tonight and having strudels for dessert. (last minute change to get the birthday party in)

DH and I went and got the cake. We apparently had just missed the opening rush and the store was still well stocked and relatively empty. Came home and told him that we got the cake. Did he want to drive it over to his girlfriends? The cake wasn't for her afterall. He just wanted to have a birthday cake to put the candle in. My heart just melted. (here, all my 23 year old wanted was a cake and a candle and didn't want to put pressure on me to do it).

I told him I'll bake him a big cake later in the week (when it's actually his birthday) and that we'll get his favourite burgers in for dinner.

Remember to watch your kids (no matter what age). They are feeling all this too and only want a normal life to go on.

Aww, what a sweet kid.

This is a really helpful reminder. We’re all still people, and we’re all feeling the stress of this virus and the panic around it. Life might not be normal for the next little while, but we can all take care of each other a bit extra.

I'm just gonna put this out there along with the "take care of each other"

PLEASE treat those of us who already struggle with, what is at times, crippling anxiety with kid gloves. Allow us the extra time we need to process the fact that the world is now full of uncertainty and the "worse case scenarios" some of us live with on a constant basis are coming true and we do NOT know how to shut this off. Some of us naturally do what is now consider a negative behaviour, hoard things that give us comfort! We are always constantly preparing for doomsday situations by making sure we have what we need "just in case" So what happens when someone sees me clearing a shelf off of (mind you this is unique) the ONLY type of tuna i can safely eat right now and they shame me (both with dirty looks and the unbelievably harsh words i dealt with on Friday)? I stammer "sorry" and start to put it back on the shelf. Luckily hubby was with me and he picked it up himself and used a practiced glare while guiding me by the elbow to the till. Luckily i managed to get to the car before the ugly crying started!

My doctor(s) have told me to play this type of thing out in my mind, go with it and realize that I'm being irrational but now what? My go-to response to overwhelming feelings is to seclude so I'm winning this social distancing and self-isolation? Yeah, GOLD MEDAL! But it's not healthy for my mental health because it just gives me more time to ruminate and spin inwardly.

I never hide the fact that i have a mental illness, - heck it's in my signature! - but I don't think people realize what it's like for those of us who struggle with the regular bad news to walk thru this constantly changing sense of horror. So while we need to care for each other, we need to remember that for part of our society this actually feels like the end of the world and knowing that it's not the apocalypse just gives us more to worry about (you know, now I'm worrying that I'm over-worrying, sigh)

I'm just gonna put this out there along with the "take care of each other"

PLEASE treat those of us who already struggle with, what is at times, crippling anxiety with kid gloves. Allow us the extra time we need to process the fact that the world is now full of uncertainty and the "worse case scenarios" some of us live with on a constant basis are coming true and we do NOT know how to shut this off. Some of us naturally do what is now consider a negative behaviour, hoard things that give us comfort! We are always constantly preparing for doomsday situations by making sure we have what we need "just in case" So what happens when someone sees me clearing a shelf off of (mind you this is unique) the ONLY type of tuna i can safely eat right now and they shame me (both with dirty looks and the unbelievably harsh words i dealt with on Friday)? I stammer "sorry" and start to put it back on the shelf. Luckily hubby was with me and he picked it up himself and used a practiced glare while guiding me by the elbow to the till. Luckily i managed to get to the car before the ugly crying started!

My doctor(s) have told me to play this type of thing out in my mind, go with it and realize that I'm being irrational but now what? My go-to response to overwhelming feelings is to seclude so I'm winning this social distancing and self-isolation? Yeah, GOLD MEDAL! But it's not healthy for my mental health because it just gives me more time to ruminate and spin inwardly.

I never hide the fact that i have a mental illness, - heck it's in my signature! - but I don't think people realize what it's like for those of us who struggle with the regular bad news to walk thru this constantly changing sense of horror. So while we need to care for each other, we need to remember that for part of our society this actually feels like the end of the world and knowing that it's not the apocalypse just gives us more to worry about (you know, now I'm worrying that I'm over-worrying, sigh)

I’m really sorry someone treated you so poorly at the store, Jacqueline.

I grew up with not enough. Over-preparing is my natural state, because it brings me extreme comfort to know I and my family won’t have to struggle, and my kid won’t know what “not enough” feels like.

I feel like now is a time to really lean on one another. I’m glad your husband got the extra cans and didn’t let someone pressure you into going with out. While the rest of us can stock with a variety of products, if there are 5 things you can eat, of course you should be buying it up!

I know this won’t necessarily apply to you, but maybe it’ll help someone. When I’m stressed we won’t have enough, my wife sits down with me and makes lists of the meals we can prepare with what’s in our pantry and fridge/freezer. She’s trying to help me focus on what we have, and to change my thinking about my grocery list as a “want” list rather than a “need.”

Sending hugs. We’re going to get through this, and I hope you get through with a reasonable stash of tuna!!

@Donald - my hero I am glad you got your tuna! I wouldn't feel bad for getting the things you need. I am still finding the empty store shelves so strange, and people so panicky. I know we have enough in the house to get by, but I also know I have a very picky child who will think we have nothing if we don't have those things he thinks are necessary. Doing my best but FreshCo had stouffers and lean cuisine's on for a really great price and I had planned to buy a handful of the mac and cheese he likes, of course they had none! I found a box of pogos they had on sale tucked behind some other food, I guess people had missed them. So he'll get those instead of mac & cheese. He'll survive. But we have that option! You don't so do what you need to do.

I took the dog for a walk, it's chilly out there even though it looks nice. Kiddo is off with his friend now, I am glad he's getting some fresh air and exercise, and off the screens. Internet is back (thank goodness) so he'll be able to watch his youtube again. Though I do hope he'll actually eat dinner at the table with me tonight, it's always a struggle and not always a battle I am prepared to fight.

I have been struggling this past week, from when kiddo broke my laptop right up until the internet came back on this afternoon. So many little things. I am still worrying about the two weeks after March break, my plan was to just work from home but when I tried to turn on the work laptop Friday so I could email my boss, it wouldn't turn on. The battery is dead and the plug does nothing. The only way to get it fixed is at work, so I don't know what will happen. The funny thing is I use it at work too, so even there I wouldn't be able to work! I have had a few breakdowns and am just trying to keep it together. And I'm not really worried about getting sick, just other general stuff. I'll survive, but anxiety is no joke.

OttawaMom -> I read your post earlier and I'm glad you posted that about your son. My son's 16th birthday is in less than 3 weeks and who knows what will be happening by then. I'm fairly certain he will not be having any kind of party with his friends at this point. It will have to be postponed. But when I went out for primer & paint today, I ran into Loblaws to purchase chocolate cake mix & chocolate icing so at least we can make a birthday cake for dessert on his birthday.

@Donald - my hero I am so glad you got your tuna. I don't know what it would be like to not be able to get what you need. My family will basically eat anything and my brother is continually stocking up on canned pastas so I am good to go on that. I did stock up on extra milk and cream the other day so as long as I have milk for my tea I am good with that.
Today I read a post on facebook for our local Salvation Army food bank and I have gone thru some of my supplies (air miles purchases) and I am going drop them off tomorrow.
This morning my 28 year old nephew called my Mother who is 87 and told her not to go out shopping. He said his Mother who lives with her has to do all the shopping now. What a lovely boy.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed right now but trying to find concrete things to focus my spiraling mind. Unfortunately that doesn't include being able to remember WHERE i read things over the last week or so.I have an incredible memory for the written word and the uncanny ability to even pinpoint in my mind approximately where in a book or magazine AND the correct side of a page something i read was hiding. That extended to these threads and websites (dang just gave away my superhero ability connected to being able to maintain the AM threads :P ) but today I'm not able to find the thread where people were talking about homeschooling/keeping their kids occupied during the social distancing. I just stumbled across something i wanted to share so I'm plunking it here with the hopes that someone else can figure out WHERE it belongs :P

A FREE online course for Imagineering!!

I need a kick to get moving more!!
By posting it here,,,, I am challenging myself to bundle up and get outside and move tomorrow.
I should have been going back to work after the March Break..... but alas I must reorganize my day.
Time to get the step counter going again.
I watched a W movie that Ottawamom mentioned and it definitely was a great way to refocus from everything that is currently in the news.Thanks Hon!!

Hugs
Mel

DH and I have been working on our Grow Young Fitness program since we got back from our Caribbean cruise a week ago Saturday. Generally, the exercises run 20-30 minutes, with a mix of cardio, core, strength and (always since it's a program for seniors) balance. Even if we just do the 10 minute Balance exercises (like yesterday), it is keeping us moving and in a wee bit of a routine.

I've been doing 10 to 15 minutes Leslie Walk Away the Pounds workouts, at least once a day but usually twice, plus walking the dog daily (except Monday when it snowed because I refuse to deal with that crap any more). It helps me get up from my desk and move, but kiddo hates me using "his" tv lol. I'm still trying to keep up the WW but I will admit the past few days have been rough, working from home and dealing with the stress of that has not been fun. My boss is a bit of a tool, and doesn't seem to understand I can't learn how to do a bunch of new complicated things through phone calls or by trial and error. Just watch me press something wrong and disconnect all the CRA phone lines... that'd be peachy! Ugh. Any way! Thank goodness I have an awesome team who know their stuff.

I watched the video and it all makes perfect sense. It's just way too much work for the amount of groceries we get around here. I will wipe down cans and boxes but washing the fruit in soap and water for 20 sec. (too much for me, I'll take my chances)

Well I have at least once more week of isolation, Ontario schools still haven't said when they'll be going back... I am guessing at least May like Quebec says, but wish they'd come out with an answer. I have been failing miserably at this WW thing in the meantime. So much junk around the house, for the boy, normally I'd be at work and away from it. I did also maybe buy myself some chocolate bars when I had to venture to the stores. I am trying to still walk but it is much less steps than I should be getting. So. I have some goals for April.

I will stick to WW, getting my "blue dots" 5 out of 7 days.
I will do three 10-15 minute Lesley Walk Away the Pounds videos or sections while I am working from home, one in the morning, one at lunch and one in the afternoon. Even though this will annoy my son who will have to give up his Xbox for this. If schools go back and I have to go back to the office I will do 10 to 15 minutes walks outside instead of the videos.
As long as it is not raining I will also take the dog for a walk of 20 to 30 minutes every day. Twice on the weekends. We don't do rain ;) he hates it and will often even refuse to go outside and rather "hold it".
And I will do a 10 to 15 minute yoga video every evening after the boy goes to bed, before I watch TV.

I hope everyone is hanging in there, doing what you need to, able to get outside if that's possible for you. I guess we don't have a lot of trips planned to be getting in shape for! I am still looking at something in December and will use this extra time to get my butt in gear, exercise and eat healthier instead of sitting and wanting to cry. We will get through this.

I watched the video and it all makes perfect sense. It's just way too much work for the amount of groceries we get around here. I will wipe down cans and boxes but washing the fruit in soap and water for 20 sec. (too much for me, I'll take my chances)
I always wash fruits and some veggies with soap and water, but for 20 seconds. Now I also have to wipe boxes and bags with disinfectant wipes as well. Very time consuming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter