Dis Exclusive December Backstage Magic 12/14 - 12/19/2014!!!

Ok, Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic family - I need your help! I normally always journal our trips as we go, but we were just having so much fun that it became impossible for me to do in the moment. Of course, my intentions were to work on it on the plane trip home, then the day after we got home, then before Christmas.....now I am on a mission to finish it by New Years Day. I have a long way to go......I am up to Imagineering, and this is where I need your help.

I could kick myself but I cannot remember the name of the artist who painted that wonderful original concept art of Disneyland for Walt and Roy to show the New York bankers. I want to say it was Peter Ellenshaw, but I am not certain.:headache:

Little help?

Ok, Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic family - I need your help! I normally always journal our trips as we go, but we were just having so much fun that it became impossible for me to do in the moment. Of course, my intentions were to work on it on the plane trip home, then the day after we got home, then before Christmas.....now I am on a mission to finish it by New Years Day. I have a long way to go......I am up to Imagineering, and this is where I need your help.

I could kick myself but I cannot remember the name of the artist who painted that wonderful original concept art of Disneyland for Walt and Roy to show the New York bankers. I want to say it was Peter Ellenshaw, but I am not certain.:headache:

Little help?

Herb Ryman did the original pencil sketch for Walt to show the bankers.

The painting of Disneyland at night with the "lights on" is by Peter Ellenshaw.....I believe. I could be wrong on this one.

Herb Ryman did the original pencil sketch for Walt to show the bankers.

The painting of Disneyland at night with the "lights on" is by Peter Ellenshaw.....I believe. I could be wrong on this one.

Kevin, you are correct on the artist who did the Matte painting. It was Peter Ellenshaw

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Jeff! I may borrow some for my scrapbook if you don't mind!

Speaking of pictures - our ABD photos are up on the site!! Some really great ones!

And I went looking online to find the Peter Ellenshaw picture to show my family what I was talking about and I found this site: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/02/originals-disneyland-maps-and-walt.html
Thought you guys might appreciate seeing these photos.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Jeff! I may borrow some for my scrapbook if you don't mind!

Speaking of pictures - our ABD photos are up on the site!! Some really great ones!

And I went looking online to find the Peter Ellenshaw picture to show my family what I was talking about and I found this site: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/02/originals-disneyland-maps-and-walt.html

Be my guest on using the pictures for your scrapbook!

Thanks for the tip on our pictures being up on the site. I'll have to go look once I find the credentials.

Thanks for posting this link Suzanne! It will be good to use for scrapbooking both my ABD-BSM 2013 and July Dis exclusive July 2014 trips. We had the opportunity to see the presentation in the library on both tours. I also researched the Herb Ryman DL plans after my 2013 trip, but don't have the links readily available.

Awesome link Suzanne! I loved the photos attached to the blog as well. The ABD pictures are fantastic!!!!!!!!! I think I just downloaded about 300 of them!

Can u share some things u did on your own if u arrived day early? Our flight lands at noon day before your starts. On morning of tour I plan to go to warner brothers studio tour but not sure what to do arrival day. Or plan lands at noon on a Saturday. Thanks!

Can u share some things u did on your own if u arrived day early? Our flight lands at noon day before your starts. On morning of tour I plan to go to warner brothers studio tour but not sure what to do arrival day. Or plan lands at noon on a Saturday. Thanks!

We arrived 2 days before. We had dinner at 25 Degrees at the Roosevelt Hotel and watched Big Hero 6 at El Capitan Theatre. Both are a very short walk from the hotel.

We also went to the Farmer Market and the Grove Had sandwiches from Magee's Kitchen and a Bob's doughnut for dessert. Used Uber car service to get there and back. Under $10 each way including tip.

We got in late on Saturday night (10:30 pm) and slept in on Sunday. Still had some free time so we headed to the Farmers Market for a while. Went back to the hotel mid-afternoon for a nap before the Welcome Dinner.

We rented a car and drove over to the Santa Monica Pier - spent a day at the beach. Coming from Ohio - it was great! We also drove up to see the Hollywood sign a bit closer.

If we had had more time, we would have driven to Malibu or Laguna Beach.

We arrived 2 days before. We had dinner at 25 Degrees at the Roosevelt Hotel and watched Big Hero 6 at El Capitan Theatre. Both are a very short walk from the hotel.

We also went to the Farmer Market and the Grove Had sandwiches from Magee's Kitchen and a Bob's doughnut for dessert. Used Uber car service to get there and back. Under $10 each way including tip.

I think I will do this as well . Roosevelt and movie and shipping walking around should fill day nicely. Do u think farmers market was worth going to?

Count me among the votes for the Farmer's Market. The dinner I had there was actually the best meal I had of my entire trip! I Uber-ed it from the Loews as well.

I also ate at 25 Degrees and it was very good. Give yourself some time to walk around the Roosevelt Hotel itself - the hotel has lots of Hollywood History, as well as being an inspiration for the Tower of Terror - it will feel very familiar to Disney fans!

Not on this trip, but I have also done the WB studio tour and it is excellent. This time I did Paramount to see how it compared - no comparison. WB was much better.

Count me among the votes for the Farmer's Market. The dinner I had there was actually the best meal I had of my entire trip! I Uber-ed it from the Loews as well.

I also ate at 25 Degrees and it was very good. Give yourself some time to walk around the Roosevelt Hotel itself - the hotel has lots of Hollywood History, as well as being an inspiration for the Tower of Terror - it will feel very familiar to Disney fans!

Not on this trip, but I have also done the WB studio tour and it is excellent. This time I did Paramount to see how it compared - no comparison. WB was much better.

Thanks for the great feedback. I think I read UBER is around 10 dollars to the Farmers Market? I am guessing that is pretty close then so maybe I can do WB studio tour THEN Farmers THEN back to hotel by 3 pm. How long would you allow at Farmers?

Thanks for the great feedback. I think I read UBER is around 10 dollars to the Farmers Market? I am guessing that is pretty close then so maybe I can do WB studio tour THEN Farmers THEN back to hotel by 3 pm. How long would you allow at Farmers?

It depends - if you just want to eat, you can do that in an hour, but you could spend a lot longer if you want to walk around and look at the shops, etc.

To give yourself more time, it might make sense to do lunch on Sunday at the Roosevelt since it's right across from the hotel and Saturday dinner at Farmer's Market. Personally I hate the Hollywood Blvd area so I would not want to spend much time there walking around. You will have some time on the ABD to see the stars on the walk of fame, handprints, etc.

I looked at my Uber receipt - on a Saturday night it was about a 20 minute ride for a 4 mile trip from the Farmer's Market back to the hotel. (I was using UberBlack, not UberX so I paid quite a bit more than Macman.)

One more tip that helped me so much - the Farmer's Market can be quite overwhelming - there are tons of options and the layout is a bit like a maze. I had gone to their website beforehand and looked at all the different food options (many even have videos that you can watch) so I knew exactly what I wanted when I went. If I hadn't, I probably would have picked something and not known there was something even better around the corner!

It depends - if you just want to eat, you can do that in an hour, but you could spend a lot longer if you want to walk around and look at the shops, etc.

To give yourself more time, it might make sense to do lunch on Sunday at the Roosevelt since it's right across from the hotel and Saturday dinner at Farmer's Market. Personally I hate the Hollywood Blvd area so I would not want to spend much time there walking around. You will have some time on the ABD to see the stars on the walk of fame, handprints, etc.

I looked at my Uber receipt - on a Saturday night it was about a 20 minute ride for a 4 mile trip from the Farmer's Market back to the hotel. (I was using UberBlack, not UberX so I paid quite a bit more than Macman.)

One more tip that helped me so much - the Farmer's Market can be quite overwhelming - there are tons of options and the layout is a bit like a maze. I had gone to their website beforehand and looked at all the different food options (many even have videos that you can watch) so I knew exactly what I wanted when I went. If I hadn't, I probably would have picked something and not known there was something even better around the corner!

thanks great tip. What do you mean by Uberblack vs. UberX are they different apps? I assume UberX is the app to have? I am not a city exploring person and honestly Hollywood isn't holding great appeal to me. We arrive at 12 noon at LAX I am GUESSING it will take 3 hours from there get baggage get checked in etc. So if I arrive at hotel at 3 I was going to go to Roosevelt for Dinner and then movie theatre across the street. The following day WB studio tour for sure - I don't like eating vendor food and I guess I picture Farmers Market a bunch of outdoor vendor people. I better youtube this to see....I guess I could do Roosevelt after WB though?

thanks great tip. What do you mean by Uberblack vs. UberX are they different apps? I assume UberX is the app to have? I am not a city exploring person and honestly Hollywood isn't holding great appeal to me. We arrive at 12 noon at LAX I am GUESSING it will take 3 hours from there get baggage get checked in etc. So if I arrive at hotel at 3 I was going to go to Roosevelt for Dinner and then movie theatre across the street. The following day WB studio tour for sure - I don't like eating vendor food and I guess I picture Farmers Market a bunch of outdoor vendor people. I better youtube this to see....I guess I could do Roosevelt after WB though?

Uber is the App - the X vs Black are the different type of cars. UberX is a rideshare program - it could be any kind of car and any kind of driver. Uberblack are always large black SUVs (Escalade type). Black costs quite a bit more, but their drivers are screened better and held to a higher standard. As a woman traveling alone, I paid the extra for the peace of mind. I'm sure 99.99% of X rides are totally fine and safe, but there have been bad reports in the news.

Yes, the Farmer's market food options would be described as vendors, but it's not like outdoor carnival food. It's very high quality. Definitely check out the website and youtube videos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!