DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic 7/29 - 8/3/18

My guess is that ABD does NOT tip housekeeping. I once read an article (either on the DIS or one of those 'other' sites) about tipping in Disney/in general. As I understand it, housekeeping is not one of those typical "tipped" jobs (i.e. where the employee may make less bc they are expected to be tipped) and tipping them is entirely optional (nice to do if you want to). So if you want Mousekeeping to be tipped, most likely you will need to do it. I would bet that baggage, drivers, waiters, (anything else that is a job that relies on tips) are all taken care of.
Yeah I plan on bringing extra cash for housekeeping & mousekeeping (in addition to that for our guides) regardless of what the booklet/website says (about them being covered).

Anyone making dinning reservations for the days at Disneyland when we are on our own for lunch or dinner? If so, what are you most interested in trying?

Anyone making dinning reservations for the days at Disneyland when we are on our own for lunch or dinner? If so, what are you most interested in trying?
I had a reservation at Lamplight Lounge but cancelled it because the menu didn’t really appeal to me. Miss the Cove Bar.

I’m going to try a couple of the Pixar-themed items at Alien Pizza Planet and the avocado toast at Hearthstone Lounge.

Last edited:

Well if any of the other solo travellers, or anyone in the group for that matter want to tour the parks and grab meals during the 'on your own time', this Disneyland novice would be interested.

Jay

Well if any of the other solo travellers, or anyone in the group for that matter want to tour the parks and grab meals during the 'on your own time', this Disneyland novice would be interested.

Jay
I'm traveling solo and a first time visitor to Disneyland. Don't really know much about the places to eat there. I would like to try the corn dog though at the Red Wagon Craig often refers to :)
See ya in Hollywood in less than a week now!

We are arriving a day early...any suggestions on what to do in Hollywood that won't be covered in our ABD?

What kinds of things do you like to do? Universal is close by. The LA subway system has a stop at Hollywood and Highland, so you could easily access places like Olvera Street or the Grand Central Market. If you want to stay in Hollywood, the Hollywood Museum (in the old Max Factor building) is surprisingly good. And there’s always the Farmer’s Market/Grove. I also like to have a drink in the Roosevelt Hotel lobby.

What kinds of things do you like to do? Universal is close by. The LA subway system has a stop at Hollywood and Highland, so you could easily access places like Olvera Street or the Grand Central Market. If you want to stay in Hollywood, the Hollywood Museum (in the old Max Factor building) is surprisingly good. And there’s always the Farmer’s Market/Grove. I also like to have a drink in the Roosevelt Hotel lobby.
I am thinking not Universal...just some local things to do. Staying in the same hotel as ABD so that part is nice.

I think taking the subway would be a good idea...go see the market and Olvera Street.

I am thinking not Universal...just some local things to do. Staying in the same hotel as ABD so that part is nice.

I think taking the subway would be a good idea...go see the market and Olvera Street.
If I remember correctly, the Olvera Street stop is Union Station, which is a beautiful building.

If I remember correctly, the Olvera Street stop is Union Station, which is a beautiful building.

Olvera Street is right across the street from Union Station, so you could easily go there. One thing my son and girlfriend did for me this year was take me on a food-walking tour of Downtown LA through a company called Six Taste. You could uber to Pershing Square, and walk to the Biltmore Hotel, where they meet. If you are interested in that, I recommend going to the Biltmore Hotel a little early to explore there. We went to the restroom and in those hallways were pictures, including one of Walt Disney at the Academy Awards. I found it to be interesting: Biltmore Hotel-Academy Awards

If you'd like to look into the walking food tour ($65), here is the link to the site. They have a 1pm tour available for Saturday: http://www.sixtaste.com/

Olvera Street is right across the street from Union Station, so you could easily go there. One thing my son and girlfriend did for me this year was take me on a food-walking tour of Downtown LA through a company called Six Taste. You could uber to Pershing Square, and walk to the Biltmore Hotel, where they meet. If you are interested in that, I recommend going to the Biltmore Hotel a little early to explore there. We went to the restroom and in those hallways were pictures, including one of Walt Disney at the Academy Awards. I found it to be interesting: Biltmore Hotel-Academy Awards

If you'd like to look into the walking food tour ($65), here is the link to the site. They have a 1pm tour available for Saturday: http://www.sixtaste.com/
Thanks so much! I think that sounds like a great plan. I think we will have to check out Olvera Street!

If anyone else has some last-minute questions about LA or Hollywood let me know. I'm local and if I don't know I can do a quick search on it for you.
okay MJ or any ABD veteran. I'll be landing at LAX at 9:40am so I'm going to have a few hours before check-in. any suggestions on what I can do while waiting on my room? maybe a nice place for lunch? how far is the Griffith observatory, is it practical to take an Uber?
will the hotel hold my bags until check-in?

Here are some easy-to-do options that you can do:

- Options via Metro:
- In the Chinese Theater courtyard there are options to take various tours around Hollywood and to see the stars homes. I enjoyed the Hollywood, tour, but it might just be a preview of what you'll see in depth on your ABD tour
- Movie at the El Capitan Theater across the street

- Option via Uber:

Here are some easy-to-do options that you can do:

- Options via Metro:
- In the Chinese Theater courtyard there are options to take various tours around Hollywood and to see the stars homes. I enjoyed the Hollywood, tour, but it might just be a preview of what you'll see in depth on your ABD tour
- Movie at the El Capitan Theater across the street

- Option via Uber:
Thanks Mary Jo for the great options!

Having a great day at Universal, but so happy we got the unlimited express pass. Harry Potter is 135 minutes and we got on it twice in about 20 minutes. See everyone tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!