Dis Dining show minor complaint/suggestion

If the team have not had a classical education or had the opportunity to learn European languages or travel internationally, we should not criticise them for not being able to pronounce culinary terms or ‘foreign’ words. Profiteroles isn’t an everyday word and mispronouncing that was less embarrassing than describing the tuna as raw instead of rare or seared. Some menus are very pretentious. Starter, main course and pudding is fine with me.

If the team have not had a classical education or had the opportunity to learn European languages or travel internationally, we should not criticise them for not being able to pronounce culinary terms or ‘foreign’ words. Profiteroles isn’t an everyday word and mispronouncing that was less embarrassing than describing the tuna as raw instead of rare or seared. Some menus are very pretentious. Starter, main course and pudding is fine with me.

In the United States, most public school systems require 2 years of a foreign language to graduate high school, Spanish and French being the most common. I don't know anyone who didn't take one of those languages at some point.

One thing I appreciate from the DIS Dining Show is that team members make their comments after eating, not while they eat. I am a regular listener of another podcast which dedicate some episodes to dining reviews, and I now skip them because I can no longer tolerate these people making all kind of sounds to express their appreciation ("hum..." "huuummm", "HUUUMMMM") while their mouth is full of food. I definitely prefer The DIS format.

In the United States, most public school systems require 2 years of a foreign language to graduate high school, Spanish and French being the most common. I don't know anyone who didn't take one of those languages at some point.
Well they obviously missed the culinary terms class.😂

I graduated high school in 1996 and was not required to take a foreign language. However, because I didn’t take one in high school, I had to take two years to graduate college.

I have no problem with the team not being unable to pronounce every menu item. They’re not professional food critics.

What I do have a problem with is Fiasco ordering a steak medium well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it comes down to expectations for a show that is reviewing dining and making money (even if indirectly) from doing so - are the expectations there higher than for the average person.

I agree with you that I would expect the average person to know how to pronounce all these words, but this is their profession, so I think fair to have higher expectations.

They have had various former cast members or CP kids, I have always thought someone from Disney food service would be a nice addition to the team, a former line chef or just someone with culinary experience as a hobby, specifically to give this show some credence.
It’s the Disney DINING show, as @TheMaxRebo said, it’s reasonable for us to expect some solid pronunciation and base knowledge, the “Le Cellier” thing was just silly. If nothing else, I am also sure the server can help with pronunciation, have them repeat it back to you a few times slowly, practicing it before going on camera, then leave them a nice tip for their extra time and kindness.

Last edited:
They have had various former cast members or CP kids, I have always thought someone from Disney food service would be a nice addition to the team, a former line chef or just someone with culinary experience as a hobby, specifically to give this show some credence.
It’s the Disney DINING show, as @TheMaxRebo said, it’s reasonable for us to expect some solid pronunciation and base knowledge, the “Le Cellier” thing was just silly. If nothing else, I am also sure the server can help with pronunciation, have them repeat it back to you a few times slowly, practicing it before going on camera, then leave them a nice tip for their extra time and kindness.
Exactly what I was thinking - I know if I were reading something on camera, I'd WANT to practice in advance.

I used to make all sorts of recordings and announcements for work, and would always try and get the required text in advance (unless it was a true emergency, and couldn't) and practice it several times in advance, just to get comfortable with it, or even tweak something to make it flow better, if needs be. And for the most part, they weren't even foreign, strange, or "different' words! Just a part of what I considered my due diligence for my job, and I wanted to do it as well as I could.

Last edited:
I graduated high school in 1996 and was not required to take a foreign language. However, because I didn’t take one in high school, I had to take two years to graduate college.

I have no problem with the team not being unable to pronounce every menu item. They’re not professional food critics.

What I do have a problem with is Cory ordering a steak medium well done.

Our state's public college systems (University of California/Cal State) required 2 years of HS level foreign language simply to apply for admission. I also graduated HS in 1996. Once admitted, you had to take 2 more years to graduate.

@toocherie - Off topic, but I couldn't help it - your fur baby is ADORABLE!!!!
Oh thank you!!--that was my Bella when I first got her. Unfortunately she went to the Bridge this past December. I still have my second Corgi (Cunie) but got him when he was one so don't have adorable pics of him as a baby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!