Direct Purchase of BLT - Wait Time?

Vohdre

Mouseketeer
With the change on 75 points direct being needed for Member Benefits I went back and forth on purchasing BLT resale, direct, or combination of the two.

I finally decided that the Direct Member Benefits were important enough to me for the extra upfront cost.

Since I am not purchasing a ton of points (150) the cost difference between 75 resale + 75 direct is not large enough to deal with the other issues of trying to go the hybrid route.

So last week I was put on the waitlist for 150 points direct (VERY EXITED). Does anyone have an idea on how long the waitlist might take? Disney was of course noncommittal about any sort of timeline.

Congratulations! What UY are you looking for? When I bought 25 BLT Feb points about a year ago, it took a few days. But back then for such a small direct purchase I doubt they were moving heaven and earth to find my points. I called back once in that period, I think. They may have points but have offered them to someone ahead of you on the WL, and have to wait until they hear back. I hope you hear soon.

Edited: If they have them on hand, it should not take too long (like a week?) if there's people on the waitlist ahead of you in your UY. The difficulty may be if they have to ROFR or foreclose on points to sell to you. Hopefully it should not take too long, especially if you're looking for a more common UY.

Last edited:
I gave them June, August, and September for UYs. I know February is the largest group, but I'll never been traveling in the summer so it's not a great fit for me.

This probably isn't the best data point but I went on the wait list for 25 points/Sep UY about a month ago. My guide told me that he expected them to become available in 2-3 months.

I decided early January that I wanted 50 more BLT points (June) and my guide told me it would most likely be 4-6 weeks. I called back a couple days later to revise my wait list for 55 instead of 50 (wanted to round out my total points to an even hundred).

About 3-4 weeks later I got an email saying that points I was waiting for were available. I called my guide and he said that 25 were available. I bought them and asked about the other 30 and he said that I actually had 2 wait lists still active. One for 30 and one for 25. He said he did it that way because when I called to change the wait list he didn't want to cancel my original and start a new because if he did I would lose my original spot.

Fast forward to last week and I get notified that 25 more points are available. I bought those and figured oh well on the other 5. Then today he calls and says there's 30 more available. As tempting as it was I didn't want 30 more but since I hadn't even returned the paperwork yet for last week's 25 he said I could just get the 30 instead if I wanted. So that's what I decided to do and now just have to wait for replacement paperwork.

I'm a June UY BLT person too. Despite the horrible direct cost, I am very tempted to just add on some direct points because I only want another 100. I could just buy 75pts or so direct and be done with it. The prices people want for resale are so high right now IMO. I am about to head to Vegas though, so everyone send me good vibes that I win a ton of money so I can buy direct! Haha. Maybe I could split them into 3x 25pt contracts! Too much for me, but it is fun to think about. :cool1:

Yes it was tough to pay $191pp, especially after getting a loaded resale 17 months ago for $110pp but I only wanted 55 more. But like you said resale price right now are ridiculous. And with direct you get 2017 bankable points, and member services was great about allocating the banked points into other outstanding reservations for me (I rent out a lot of points) so really the differential was moot. Especially with the much lower closing costs.

Yes it was tough to pay $191pp, especially after getting a loaded resale 17 months ago for $110pp but I only wanted 55 more. But like you said resale price right now are ridiculous. And with direct you get 2017 bankable points, and member services was great about allocating the banked points into other outstanding reservations for me (I rent out a lot of points) so really the differential was moot. Especially with the much lower closing costs.

I...just...can't...do...it. No matter how many times I add up the numbers, the spread is still so high between direct and resale. After I get my deposit back from the highly predictable exercising of ROFR on my SSR add on, I think I will just sit back and check prices for a while. I do understand why you did that though. There is a PITA factor that cannot be ignored with those smaller contracts in resale.

Oh yeah right you're the "low ball SSR person" lol that's an awesome deal! I'm bet you end up being surprised and end up keeping it. But yeah it was tough such a small amount, and it's actually 2 contracts for BLT, a 25 and a 30. So they'll be easy to sell at premium should I decide to go that way. But who am I kidding I know I won't end up going that way lol.

I was on a wait list for 75 points for BLT for 4-6 weeks or so. My February UY waitlist came through first, but I was leaning more towards December UY at that point. My guide sent me the Feb contract to secure points and told me to hold onto it because I was top of the list for Dec. Sure enough, she called a few days later and sent me the new contract for December. The waiting is the hard part, but I read lots of Disboards to occupy myself. Good luck!

So, you can get a 100 point contract with 2017 points with BLT for $191. I see 100 point resale with 2017 points asking $159. Is it worth difference? $3,200 more plus closing costs (same?)

Well you'd probably save about $500 on the closing costs. And the 2017 points would be bankable even though its past the deadline because Disney allows that when you buy direct. That and if you use a credit card you can get rewards. And get the points that same day. If those things are worth $3,200 to you I'd call. Then again, you will still have to wait because I doubt they'd have 100 points sitting around to sell you. It would probably take about 6 weeks.

Well you'd probably save about $500 on the closing costs. And the 2017 points would be bankable even though its past the deadline because Disney allows that when you buy direct. That and if you use a credit card you can get rewards. And get the points that same day. If those things are worth $3,200 to you I'd call. Then again, you will still have to wait because I doubt they'd have 100 points sitting around to sell you. It would probably take about 6 weeks.
I do have a Disney Visa...0% interest rate applies to DVC too?

Yes, the 0% applies for 6 months on Disney Visa for DVC purchase. There's some weird thing where they can only apply $10k/day to the card but you can either just wait until the next day to pay the rest, pay the balance another way, etc.

And yes, this waiting is maddening.

I called and got put on the wait list 3 weeks ago for 100 points. My guide said it could be a couple weeks or it could be a couple months and also told me that they were unable to see how many were in front of me on the list.

I called and got put on the wait list 3 weeks ago for 100 points. My guide said it could be a couple weeks or it could be a couple months and also told me that they were unable to see how many were in front of me on the list.

Does it cost anything to be put on the wait list?

For what it is worth I talked to an agent this week (not DVC owner but weighing options). He was surprised about my knowledge about it all. I am far from an expert but just been lurking on here and reading all I can about it in preparation for our trip to WDW and a tour in May. At any rate the guide said he “had to look at 2 different programs to see what was available.” About BLT he was especially vague. He said availability changes “minute to minute.” He mentioned getting on a wait list but I didn’t ask what that all entailed. Thanks.

Does it cost anything to be put on the wait list?

For what it is worth I talked to an agent this week (not DVC owner but weighing options). He was surprised about my knowledge about it all. I am far from an expert but just been lurking on here and reading all I can about it in preparation for our trip to WDW and a tour in May. At any rate the guide said he “had to look at 2 different programs to see what was available.” About BLT he was especially vague. He said availability changes “minute to minute.” He mentioned getting on a wait list but I didn’t ask what that all entailed. Thanks.

It doesn't cost anything and you aren't obligated to buy when they become available. It's as easy as calling a guide and telling them you want to add XXX points at XXX home for XXX use year.

Last edited:
I put myself on the wait list for 75-100 BLT points (Feb use year) while on a cruise this past December and still have not heard anything. I had been hoping to get the points prior to the price increase as well as before the end of the 2017 use year, neither of which happened, so if they were to call now I would decline the points.

I did, however, end up buying some Poly points direct while on the cruise, so I am not sure if they took me off the BLT wait list, but I didn't ask for that to happen.

Wait...I’m so confused. How are you buying BLT direct? Are these resale points that Disney didn’t let go through? Do you already have to be a DVC member to be eligible to buy them?
We keep talking about DVC but I would rather have Poly or BLT...I was under the impression I could only get those via resale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter