Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello!
I’ve been bouncing around the idea of grabbing some direct points before Sept 16 and had almost decided on riviera. Resale restrictions do bother me but I’ve accepted that if I purchase it is to use for my vacations not to resell (resale is just an added bonus if possible). After worrying about resale I started thinking of buying copper creek instead. I like the idea of having one of the resorts with a later expiration. Cooper creek will likely force us into a 2 bedroom while riv studios and 1 beds work for our fam of 5. Anyone have opinions on this one? I think it’s around 28 k at riv and 31 k at copper. 150 pts. I’ll hopefully find more points resale down the road (no resale at riv with the restrictions).

I honestly wouldn't worry about expiration date past 2060 (BLT) as that's 40 years out.

I would go based on which resort you like best, point charts, and your family.

CCV you might need a 2BR but it's also cheaper and having a 2BR with kids is a great benefit.

I personally would prioritize a resort you can swing a 2BR but that's me. Also remeber if you buy resale those points couldn't be used at RIV.

JMO, I would not buy direct into RIV. I would try to buy direct into AKL/OKW/SSR, as these have the lowest markup and are easy enough to sell in resale if you change your mind.

I would also not try to cram a family of 5 into any 5 person studio beyond very young children, though the RIV one is on the large side for Disney.

CCV is not a resort I care for, location wise or points wise. I would still pick it over RIV.

Last edited:

I don't think direct pricing makes much sense. Are you planning to supplement those 150 points with a resale contract? One week in the lowest season next year for CCV 2br is 264 points, and RIV 1br standard is 220. So, unless you're putting 5 in a RIV studio, those 150 won't get you very far.

Which resort do you actually like? I can't really recommend RIV because of the resale restrictions, but it does make sense for some people. I own CCV so that's a full disclosure, but if you truly like CCV and want to stay there most often, you can do far better with a large contract resale to get enough points for that 2br on an annual basis or however often you want to go. There's not much reason to pursue direct benefits because the Gold AP is gone and who knows if it's ever coming back, and none of the other benefits make enough sense to be worth the direct markup - unless you are planning to buy a fixed week at a hard to book time (such as December at CCV).

If you still must have direct benefits and since there doesn't seem to be much thought given to where you actually want to stay, I'd probably recommend 100 at SSR and add on more points there resale. Book a 2br at SSR at 11 months and switch out if you're able at 7.

Hello!
I’ve been bouncing around the idea of grabbing some direct points before Sept 16 and had almost decided on riviera. Resale restrictions do bother me but I’ve accepted that if I purchase it is to use for my vacations not to resell (resale is just an added bonus if possible). After worrying about resale I started thinking of buying copper creek instead. I like the idea of having one of the resorts with a later expiration. Cooper creek will likely force us into a 2 bedroom while riv studios and 1 beds work for our fam of 5. Anyone have opinions on this one? I think it’s around 28 k at riv and 31 k at copper. 150 pts. I’ll hopefully find more points resale down the road (no resale at riv with the restrictions).

As I’m sure you noticed, when anyone asks about buying Riviera direct there will be people who strongly oppose the mere thought of it... but I think everyone needs to decide for themselves how they vacation and what makes the most sense for them. As with all things in life, there are rarely absolutes... and that includes buying Riviera 😉

I, like many others here, am a huge fan of buying resale... but if you’re sure direct is right for you, then I agree with getting one of the newest resorts since your biggest priority is longest life of contract & the other new (<10 yrs old) resorts are very highly priced ($200+pp) without the great incentives of CCV or RIV. That said, I always encourage people to buy where they want to stay the most... because in the end, I think that’s what will make you happiest & this is a luxury purchase for your enjoyment 😁

To me, it sounds like you prefer the idea of RIV over CCV, and that alone makes me think you should consider it. IMO, traveling with 5 is something people don’t seem to give enough weight to... and it’s a real game-changer for some. Now, not everyone is going to agree with sleeping 5 in a studio either, but you need to know you. I have slept 3 people at Bay Lake and could not bear the thought of 4 people in that studio, but I was fine with 5 people at the Poly! I’ll be staying with 5 people in a RIV studio this fall & I’m excited about having even more space plus 2 “real” beds- a total upgrade from our wonderful Poly trip! 🤩 But if you know you like/need more space, or will be spending a lot of time in your room, then you should more strongly consider the points required for a 2-bedroom. 🤓

Good luck with your decision/purchase! I hope you find what works best for you!! 🥳

I added on at RIV last year because my adult kids thought it was a nice place and we liked the length as I sold BWV to help with the purchase,

Owing there for sure does give you the best option for getting those SV rooms and as you mention, allow you to fit in a 1 bedroom.

I know that many have an issue with the resale restriction but IMO, I am not of the belief that resale value should play a role when one decides to buy vs. not.

Hello!
We stayed at RIV one night last March and we really liked it... but the resale restrictions would worry me. I also love wilderness lodge but am not a fan of the one bedrooms at copper creek that only sleep 4. Maybe buy resale?

Thank you all. I think it makes the most sense to do 100-150 points direct based on what they’re offering with the incentives. Then I plan to add 100-150 at another resort resale. My thought was riviera direct and AKL resale. I originally planned to buy the resale first and do direct whenever but with the minimum going up I figured I’d reverse that plan. I think with my young children the riv studio would work well and the 1 BR would be even better. We love cooper creek but with studio and 1 BR unavailable to us (family of 5) it doesn’t really make sense.

Thank you all. I think it makes the most sense to do 100-150 points direct based on what they’re offering with the incentives. Then I plan to add 100-150 at another resort resale. My thought was riviera direct and AKL resale. I originally planned to buy the resale first and do direct whenever but with the minimum going up I figured I’d reverse that plan. I think with my young children the riv studio would work well and the 1 BR would be even better. We love cooper creek but with studio and 1 BR unavailable to us (family of 5) it doesn’t really make sense.

You can not use resale points at Rivera be aware. So that means you will never be able to combine the Riv and AKV points to just stay at RIV for the full trip.

You can not use resale points at Rivera be aware. So that means you will never be able to combine the Riv and AKV points to just stay at RIV for the full trip.
I understand that...correct me If this doesn’t make sense, but I think I would either use points together and do a split stay...or alternate each resort every other year. Maybe it depends on my experiences with the availability once I get on the system. Then I could also combine all points and stay anywhere except riviera (as long as I book in the 7 mo window) correct?

I understand that...correct me If this doesn’t make sense, but I think I would either use points together and do a split stay...or alternate each resort every other year. Maybe it depends on my experiences with the availability once I get on the system. Then I could also combine all points and stay anywhere except riviera (as long as I book in the 7 mo window) correct?

Correct

I have owned almost 12 years now have a mix of direct and resale and I do ask myself what I would do today. Blue card is no big deal except for the APs. If they get rid of that to me direct is not worth it at all imho.
In terms of direct between the two resorts I would choose CCV because the points go further there and that is the only resort with the super studio so you might get lucky and get one of those if you book a studio there:)

I just reread that you are a family of five - I would go with CCV for the two bedroom units and the 2nd bathroom. Trust me, a one bedroom is cramped as a family of 4. When we travel as 5 we always get a two bedroom. Worst case if you really want a 1 bedroom at CCV you can get an inflatable mattress - we have done that too - but you will be much happier in a two bedroom. With the direct points you can book a weekend getaway for you and your husband at RR - but for the family - I choose CCV

Last edited:
Hello!
OP, how old are your kids? Four is cramped in a studio, never mind 5. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but it looks like you are leaning towards RR - if that - then buy the 200 points for the better discount but- break it into two 100 point contracts in case you decide to sell in the future. Remember lower point contracts hold better value on the resale market. Given the choice, I would choose CCV - for 2 reasons, the Lower point chart and the lower points, but if you purchase 200 RR points at 160 member price and 170 new member price - those 200 points will go further and get you out of the studios and the discount is better. Also if you add on resale down the road - you can use your 200 points plus resale at any of the other resorts. Split stays if less than a 10 days are miserable. We do split stays, but its usually just the first 3 to 5 days at the start then we move to our home resort for the next three weeks. Remember you check out at 11 and there have been many times where the next room is not ready until after 4. Also you have to pack everything up and move.
Another thought...buy 25 -50 points resale now -then add on 200 RR points at the 160 member price If RR is your first choice

OP, how old are your kids? Four is cramped in a studio, never mind 5. Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but it looks like you are leaning towards RR - if that - then buy the 200 points for the better discount but- break it into two 100 point contracts in case you decide to sell in the future. Remember lower point contracts hold better value on the resale market. Given the choice, I would choose CCV - for 2 reasons, the Lower point chart and the lower points, but if you purchase 200 RR points at 160 member price and 170 new member price - those 200 points will go further and get you out of the studios and the discount is better. Also if you add on resale down the road - you can use your 200 points plus resale at any of the other resorts. Split stays if less than a 10 days are miserable. We do split stays, but its usually just the first 3 to 5 days at the start then we move to our home resort for the next three weeks. Remember you check out at 11 and there have been many times where the next room is not ready until after 4. Also you have to pack everything up and move.
Another thought...buy 25 -50 points resale now -then add on 200 RR points at the 160 member price If RR is your first choice
My kids are 2, 6, and 8. We recently stayed in a studio at animal kingdom and did fine with the youngest in a crib. He turns 3 in October though so the pull down twin would be nice at any resort we end up at. And I am sure the kids would love the pull down queen compared with a sofa bed. I was thinking at least a one bedroom would work at riviera but not at CC. I was going to buy only 100 points - originally at CC, then I went to thinking about SSR, AKL, RIV - like I said I've been all over the place. I do want to experience more than just one resort. I was planning to buy 100 direct points then more resale. I had planned for 100 direct and 150 resale. I think the incentives have led me to consider more direct to start with. I assumed that needing larger than one bedrooms anywhere would require more than 150 points - and I am not against needing 2 bedrooms but I figured if we could make smaller rooms work we could save points that way. As far as buying resale first - I would love that but I was hoping to get at least a 100 pt contract direct before the minimum changes and I am sure a resale would never close in time to make me a member before the minimum changes. I'll have to really think about the split stay thing - our last trip we stayed in non-disney for our first and last days - and the packing didn't bother me much. I was counting on the split stay idea as a way to experience more resorts/areas. Like a BLT split with Beach Club would allow us to walk into 3/4 parks - I would love that! Let me know what you think!!

RR direct 100 will get you the blue card. I have not been following if it is a rumor or if it is true that the blue card minimum is going up. If it is a fact increasing and you want the blue card then yes buy it now. If not, then maybe consider a small resale first then add on direct for the benefits. Your family is very young so studios still work:) as they get older you will need the two bedroom but you have time. We started with 100 at bcv for a week in a studio then kept adding almost 1000 for larger rooms and longer stays. Be careful it is an addictive slope especially with kids:) as the kids grow so does DVC

Another question to consider, with your kids being that young, is it possible a 4th may come along at some point? If you would become a family of 6, you will need a 2 bedroom unit so one of the resorts with a lower point chart would be ideal.

RR direct 100 will get you the blue card. I have not been following if it is a rumor or if it is true that the blue card minimum is going up. If it is a fact increasing and you want the blue card then yes buy it now. If not, then maybe consider a small resale first then add on direct for the benefits. Your family is very young so studios still work:) as they get older you will need the two bedroom but you have time. We started with 100 at bcv for a week in a studio then kept adding almost 1000 for larger rooms and longer stays. Be careful it is an addictive slope especially with kids:) as the kids grow so does DVC
I already feel addicted and I haven't even started yet!! Are all your points at the same resort? I am curious to know how people manage points and contracts - especially with the idea that there are multiple resorts I would like to explore. I've heard some say buy where you love - but there are so many resorts I haven't stayed at yet. I hope I can use my points (to some extent) at multiple locations since I have some flexibility with dates. Or I buy points at two resorts hoping to alternate years? Is this something you go in with a strategy or do you just buy more based on where you have trouble making reservations at 7 mo?

I already feel addicted and I haven't even started yet!! Are all your points at the same resort? I am curious to know how people manage points and contracts - especially with the idea that there are multiple resorts I would like to explore. I've heard some say buy where you love - but there are so many resorts I haven't stayed at yet. I hope I can use my points (to some extent) at multiple locations since I have some flexibility with dates. Or I buy points at two resorts hoping to alternate years? Is this something you go in with a strategy or do you just buy more based on where you have trouble making reservations at 7 mo?
The majority of my points are bc points that was why we purchased up until then we never considered DVC. Then we added at on SSR because as the kids got older it became one of their favorites along with visiting DS. We also have GF and CCV. All my resorts are ones that we really like almost added on resale at AK and that is one I regret not getting as we love that one too and the value points there:) we have a mix of direct and resale points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter