• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dinning in the World with Allergies

DVC4US

DVC Member Since 1998
We hope to be taking my DD's friend to WDW with us next year and she has severe food allergies. Has anyone had any experience with dinning around WDW with someone who had a food allergy? I know on the cruise ship you can talk to them about your allergies and they will prepare special meals for you. Can this be done in the parks also?

Thanks for the help.

LeiLani

Hi LeiLani,

My sister has severe food allergies also and WDW was great for her. She was able to speak with the wait staff prior to getting a table and they were able to work things out with the chef.

Every place she went was willing to work with her and at some places they created things that weren't on the menu.

She was very pleased.

Hi CarnotaurDad,

Thanks for that information. I figured that was how it would be, but I was not totally sure. Do you know if she tried any of the buffets? If she did, what did she do in that situation?

Thanks again.
LeiLani

Look at Deb Wills's site, allearsnet.com. Under Dining there is a link to information about dining at WDW with all sorts of allergies and other dietary restrictions.

Thanks, I've been to that site, but never thought to look there. I will check it out.

LeiLani

Disney restaurants are great when it comes to food allergies. We have a child with life-threatening allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. When we called ahead for PS, we asked the CM to note DD's allergies. Then, each time we arrived at a restaurant, we asked to speak to the chef before placing our order. They were very knowledgeable about food allergies and cross-contamination. We felt totally comfortable eating in Disney restaurants.

We did one buffet, Chef Mickey's. The chef walked the entire buffet and dessert lines with us and told us everything to avoid.

You can also call the WDW Executive Chef's office (I don't have the number, but maybe Disney dining could connect you?) and ask about the ingredients in the food at counter service areas and food carts.

Just be sure to always speak to the chef before ordering. If she has an Epi-pen, make sure you always have it with you. Have fun!

LeiLani,

I've been to Disney World a few times and have an allergy to gluten. The Disney chefs are very knowledgable and helpful. When you call to make each PS, tell them that you have a food allergy (hint - tell them early in the converstation. If you wait til they give you the confirmation #, they have closed up the PS in the computer and have to look up the PS again in the machine. Some get cranky when they have to do that.)

They will write the allergy info in the PS and give you a phone number to call to speak with the head chef. You may have to leave a message on an answering machine, but they'll get the message. Just let them know when you're dining with them and what food allergy you have. All chefs were great! All the chefs would come out and talk with me. They would tell me what I could eat, and what I couldn't eat (either on the menu or in the buffet line). Then most chefs would offer to make me anything I wanted! Some even had special ingredients that they bought just for my particular allergy (they made non-wheat pancake mix. or non-wheat stuffing). Some of my favorite places to dine were... Chef Mickeys, Liberty Tree Tavern, California Grill, Artist Point, CRT, PSB, Yacthsman Steakhouse, ...

Good luck and I'll bet they treat you like a queen!

-Karen

Thanks a lot for all the information. Now I can take all these answers to her Mom and we can be prepared for when we go next year.

LeiLani

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter