Dinner Meatloaf "Muffins"

Christine

DIS Veteran
Thought someone might like these. I got the recipe from my Cooking Light magazine. Very easy and the kids like the "mini" servings.

Dinner Meat Loaf "Muffins"

Sit down to a meat loaf in a half hour with this recipe. Serve with steamed green beans and roasted potato wedges for an at-home version of a blue-plate special.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup ketchup, divided
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes--This is an imporant step!!!

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

CALORIES 276(28% from fat); FAT 8.6g (sat 3g,mono 4g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 28.7g; CHOLESTEROL 131mg; CALCIUM 48mg; SODIUM 759mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.7g
Cooking Light, MARCH 2006

So funny about the Muffin idea, I just did that last night!! I can't call it meat loaf in my house, just a BIG meat ball. So now I just put in the muffin pan and they gobbled it up. On april fools day I put the meat "loaf" in the silver cupcake liners and tinted my instant mashed potatoes pink and topped the meat loaf to look like a cup cake....another winner!!!
:)

I'm going to make these tonight for dinner. My 5-year-old won't touch meatloaf, but loves muffins. Hopefully, in the muffin shape, he'll try them!

Mi3stooges said:
On april fools day I put the meat "loaf" in the silver cupcake liners and tinted my instant mashed potatoes pink and topped the meat loaf to look like a cup cake....another winner!!!
:)

That's a great idea! :thumbsup2

Funny thread because my friend just told me about this idea too...
too bad i made meatloaf the old fashion way when my F-I-L was here from CO for the week.. M-I-L never makes it for him since she doesn't eat it..

My kids Love meatloaf like this

so does DH

it is the only way we make it anymore :)

Christine said:
Thought someone might like these. I got the recipe from my Cooking Light magazine. Very easy and the kids like the "mini" servings.

Dinner Meat Loaf "Muffins"

Sit down to a meat loaf in a half hour with this recipe. Serve with steamed green beans and roasted potato wedges for an at-home version of a blue-plate special.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup ketchup, divided
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
1 cup finely crushed fat-free saltine crackers (about 20)
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped carrot, dried oregano, and minced garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Cool.

Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

Spoon the meat mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Top each with 2 teaspoons ketchup. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes--This is an imporant step!!!

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 "muffins")

CALORIES 276(28% from fat); FAT 8.6g (sat 3g,mono 4g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 28.7g; CHOLESTEROL 131mg; CALCIUM 48mg; SODIUM 759mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.7g
Cooking Light, MARCH 2006
Rachel Ray had a similar meatloaf recipe on the show but with smashed potatoes that are so easy:
Cut up red bliss potatoes (or small white or yukon),boil till cooked
drain and mash together with a tub of veggie cream cheese or chive cream cheese. Add a little milk until desired consistency.Salt and pepper to taste... :stir:

i love this idea!! especially love the extra colored mashies on top!! too funny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter