Dinner @ DCA?

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
We’ve done Carthay Circle and had wanted to do Ariel’s Grotto next time, but obviously that’s not happening. I really wanted something with characters in DCA which doesn’t exist. Thinking of Lamplight Lounge because it’s new but I think there’s also an Italian restaurant? Where is your favorite place to eat in DCA? Not too interested in leaving the park.

I haven’t done many table service options in DCA, but I have done Lamplight and really enjoy it. It is pricey though. If you go, make sure to ask for a table downstairs. You get more menu items down there and you see the Pixar theme better. If you don’t have a reservation, the line can be a little scary, but I’ve heard friends say they thought the wait was worth it.

The Italian restaurant you're thinking of is probably Wine Country Trattoria. I've eaten there, and it's fine. I don't think it's particularly good or particularly bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, but I also would be fine eating there if it fit our plans. They have a Paint the Night package now, but I don't know much about it.

I can only think of three table service options in DCA (Carthay Circle, Lamplight, and Wine Country Trattoria), plus three lounges (Carthay, Lamplight, and Alfresco Terrace). I like WCT, but it's not some place that I'd make an effort to go to on every trip. I feel like it's kind of hit-or-miss. We went once a several years ago and were very disappointed. When we finally returned, we were quite impressed with how much the food and service had improved. So we went for a couple of trips in a row, but I ultimately think the food and service kind of trended downward and we stopped going. It wasn't that there was anything wrong or truly awful, it's just that there were other places that we liked better and felt were more unique to Disneyland Resort. In terms of the food, it has pretty standard Italian fare. For me, personally, I would opt for Lamplight (either the lounge or the restaurant) because it's new and the menu looks interesting.

I haven’t done many table service options in DCA, but I have done Lamplight and really enjoy it. It is pricey though. If you go, make sure to ask for a table downstairs. You get more menu items down there and you see the Pixar theme better. If you don’t have a reservation, the line can be a little scary, but I’ve heard friends say they thought the wait was worth it.

Do you know if when making reservations there's a way to get the option with the larger menu? Am I looking for the restaurant vs lounge?

I can only think of three table service options in DCA (Carthay Circle, Lamplight, and Wine Country Trattoria), plus three lounges (Carthay, Lamplight, and Alfresco Terrace). I like WCT, but it's not some place that I'd make an effort to go to on every trip. I feel like it's kind of hit-or-miss. We went once a several years ago and were very disappointed. When we finally returned, we were quite impressed with how much the food and service had improved. So we went for a couple of trips in a row, but I ultimately think the food and service kind of trended downward and we stopped going. It wasn't that there was anything wrong or truly awful, it's just that there were other places that we liked better and felt were more unique to Disneyland Resort. In terms of the food, it has pretty standard Italian fare. For me, personally, I would opt for Lamplight (either the lounge or the restaurant) because it's new and the menu looks interesting.

Just curious what other places you like that you feel are unique to Disneyland Resort? Still looking for a few other meals on different days! Thanks!

Just curious what other places you like that you feel are unique to Disneyland Resort? Still looking for a few other meals on different days! Thanks!

I’m not the person you quoted, but to me it’s Blue Bayou. The food is good, but the ambiance is great. I mean, you’re literally in the Pirates ride watching the boats go by.

Napa Rose is the best restaurant food-wise, though doesn’t have as much character as Blue Bayou I would say. It’s a excellent restaurant though. I’ve never eaten at the Chefs Table, but people say good things about it.

We eat at boardwalk pizza & pasta every time. I found wine country trattoria to be “meh”. Lamplight menu looks too weird for my taste.

Do you know if when making reservations there's a way to get the option with the larger menu? Am I looking for the restaurant vs lounge?
No. You just make the reservation for Lamplight Lounge. When you arrive and check in, they give you the option for up or downstairs. Choose downstairs.
If you do walk in, there are 2 lines, one for up and one for down. Make sure you put your name down for the right level if you do walk in.

Over in DL, my favorite choices are the Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe for the table service locations. As the previous person mentioned, when you dine in at the Blue Bayou, you're inside the start of the PotC attraction. Cafe Orleans has a great view of the Rivers of America and New Orleans Square area while you dine and I really like the food (gumbo and pomme frites). From Carnation's patio, you can watch the hum of Main Street as you dine (and maybe catch a glimpse of a parade or at a minimum, hear the parade), plus they have really good fried dill pickles and potato soup. For CS locations, we like the French Market (same reasons as Cafe Orleans), Jolly Holiday (same reasons as Carnation), and Red Rose Tavern (good food and themed to BatB).

Our favorite place in DCA is Carthay Circle, hands-down. We've done dinner there five or six times in the last year. It's especially nice to sit outside during the fireworks (and Paint the Night, I'm guessing). We've taken guests there, as well. Every experience has been exceptional -- food, drinks, and service.

We've done Wine Country Trattoria once. We weren't disappointed, but we also didn't think it was anything special.

We tried Lamplight Lounge last week. We sat downstairs, but ended up opting for appetizers and drinks — the entrees seemed overpriced. We really enjoyed it and will go back. It's hard to compare this to Carthay, as the experiences are so different.

We don't eat dinner in DL typically, because we prefer to have a drink with our meal. We did go to Carnation Cafe last December and really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere on Main Street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!