Dinner Attire

We would normally wear khakis and a button up shirt for formal night. The khakis did double duty as Palo used to require them. 2019 will be my first 7 night since Palo lowered its dress code. Will see if they still make the packing list. As many others have said, dress how you feel comfortable. As most of the time a cruise requires a flight and luggage, jackets and ties are not in the cards. Disney's published dress code for the main dining rooms is "No Swim Suits or Tank Tops."

Not DCL, but we did a 7 night eastern on Princess and went to dinner the first night in Jeans and a button up shirt, and were politely told that jeans were only allowed in the dining room on the first and last nights. We would need to step up our game the following night or eat at the buffet. lol

Palo lowered its dress code. Because DH was turned away from brunch wearing dress shorts, collared shirt and boater shoes in 2010. I actually called and checked ahead of time and was told shorts were fine. He went back and changed, it was his 50th birthday. The Matre d was very upset that I was told shorts were okay. They actually investigated and found the person I spoke to. It turned out there was a little language barrier and they mis understood my question.

Now my DH loved brunch so much, he ask me to schedule a dinner. Well, we were treated like royalty when we returned for dinner and there were apologies for the misunderstanding. Palo MatreD sent my DH and a note wishing him a Happy Birthday!

Ok back on topic, how is Palo dress code relaxed. I will have to investigate. :)

We see lots of people in T-shirts and jeans for dinner every night. Personally, we dress for dinner each night but it is just a preference. For the themed nights we follow the theme, gown & tuxedo on formal night, cocktail dress on semi-formal night, etc.

They do say “subject to DCL rules”.:flower:

I most certainly did. Thanks for noticing.

I have never seen that in relation to swimwear.

Direct from the DCL website:
“Q. Are there dress codes or guidelines regarding dressing for dinner?

“A. In general, most onboard dining locations are ‘cruise casual,’ so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops.”

I most certainly did. Thanks for noticing.

Direct from the DCL website:
“Q. Are there dress codes or guidelines regarding dressing for dinner?

“A. In general, most onboard dining locations are ‘cruise casual,’ so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops.”

The second does not say swimwear and tank tops are "subject to DCL rules" in the way the post that quoted me indicated. That one indicated that DCL would sometimes allow them.

The second does not say swimwear and tank tops are "subject to DCL rules" in the way the post that quoted me indicated. That one indicated that DCL would sometimes allow them.

I’m not really sure what you mean. You responded to @hogie1, who was quoting me when I said “wear what you want, subject to DCL’s rules”. Swimwear at dinner is against the rules.

I’m not really sure what you mean. You responded to @hogie1, who was quoting me when I said “wear what you want, subject to DCL’s rules”. Swimwear at dinner is against the rules.

I was clarifying that @hoagie1's response to yours (which is correct with the caveat that "anything you want" does not include swimwear.

But then @DisneyGirlMI quoted my reply that "anything you want" does not include swimwear and she said "subject to DCL rules" which implies that DCL sometimes has rules that allow swimwear.

I said I had never seen anything indicating that DCL allowed swimwear in the MDRs and you posted their statement that it is not allowed.

I think we're both saying the same thing...just not understanding each other.

I was clarifying that @hoagie1's response to yours (which is correct with the caveat that "anything you want" does not include swimwear.

But then @DisneyGirlMI quoted my reply that "anything you want" does not include swimwear and she said "subject to DCL rules" which implies that DCL sometimes has rules that allow swimwear.

I said I had never seen anything indicating that DCL allowed swimwear in the MDRs and you posted their statement that it is not allowed.

I think we're both saying the same thing...just not understanding each other.

Quotes, re-quotes and re-re-quotes tend to get confusing.

I guess do what you feel is best for you.

But for me personally, I dress casual all day. Then for dinner the dining rooms are so beautiful and the server do such a fantastic job, that I feel I owe it to them and any table mates to look my best. Plus, I personally feel just a little bit better, maybe a little pep in my step when I dress up a bit.

Just my 3 cents.

Do whatever you want within DCL rules.
I love differentiating between daytime around the ship and pool and the evening dining but that’s just me.
We also change my two year old granddaughter into a pretty dress with beautiful matching hair bows and without fail she receives a bunch of attention looking so pretty. We all have gowns for formal night. It’s just what we like to do.
It’s not Disney’s rules though.

I wear a full-on business suit 80% of my working days. The thought of bringing a suit on vacation makes my left eye twitch.

Mind you, if DCL required more formal attire at dinner, I would abide with no fuss. But if they’re OK with me wearing nothing but linen shirts and drawstring twill shorts for eight days straight, by God, I’m going to take advantage of that.

I wear a full-on business suit 80% of my working days. The thought of bringing a suit on vacation makes my left eye twitch.

Mind you, if DCL required more formal attire at dinner, I would abide with no fuss. But if they’re OK with me wearing nothing but linen shirts and drawstring twill shorts for eight days straight, by God, I’m going to take advantage of that.
:rotfl2:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/
Q.

Are there dress codes or guidelines regarding dressing for dinner?

A.

In general, most onboard dining locations are "cruise casual,” so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops. Most cruises have special theme nights that provide opportunities to dress up for a one-of-a-kind family photo. Here's a breakdown of special dress events by cruise itinerary:

3-night cruises:

• One cruise casual night—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night themed deck party
  • One optional “dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
4-night cruises:

• First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night themed deck party
  • One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
  • Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
7-night cruises:

• First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

A note of caution: there is an exception to this rule. If you plan on going to Palo and/or Remy (noticed you have kids - Palo and Remy are 18 and older so they would have to be 18 or dine separately), those restaurants require formal attire (Remy = Jacket for men, , Palo = collared shirt = Women = Dress, Skirt or Blouse at both locations).

At the MDR's, you CAN dress nice in semi-formal and formal night, but as others have said it is not required.

For me - I usually wear shorts and a polo shirt to the MDR. My wife tends to wear Jean shorts and a shirt. I do not dress up for formal night UNLESS I already plan on attending Palo which means I have to bring nice shoes and slacks anyway, so I can easily accommodate another shirt.

I wear either a fire or police uniform at least 80 hrs a week. Shorts & a shirt work for me. Heck, I'd vote for a toga party too!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter