Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

But also like any good Star Wars movie there is a sequel already in the making (more to come on that later).

Yay!

With a split stay between Boardwalk and Beach Club, I was sure the ladder would steal my heart but between our "amazing" view and constant pool closures I'll be sticking to the Boardwalk next time.

Mike and I stayed at BC in 2013 and loved it. I have always wanted to get back there but just haven't yet. It's very hard to get in there at 7 months, and frankly, I'm so in love with the monorail resorts that haven't really tried. I will have to see if I can get back in that area someday, but it'll be even harder once GE happens.

Best Dessert
Pineapple Upside Down Dole Whip

Why do I keep forgetting to get this?? Remind me in May!

D had a blast, so much so that she'll be coming along with us on our next trip.

That's awesome! It's always nice when the conversion works :bitelip:

Now off to more tipsy adventures :drinking1

Have a magical trip! I'm so glad you aren't going to make us wait very long!

I HATE to see "completed" on a report that has brought me so many hours (minutes??) of entertainment. BUT, it helps to see another will be starting soon. I just don't understand why we can't get our trips synced. I did Princess LAST year and took this year off. I know have great regret for that decision.

Another amusing and beautifully pictured trip report. Looking forward to the next one ! Hope you have a magical trip for Casey’s birthday

Looking forward to hearing about the next trip! Have a blast and have some food and drinks for me!
Will do on all counts :-) :drinking1

Awesome TR as ever Kari!!! I really love all your food and drink descriptions!
Have a great time at Shades of Green! Shoot, just have a great vacation! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!!
So jealous that you get to eat at California Grill in Feb and May!!!!8-)
Thanks Jenny! We'll be doing Cali dinner this time around so no double brunch, so I'm gonna be ready come May!

Really enjoyed your report, as always, and am looking forward to the next one!!!

After years and years of making so many ADRs months ahead, for at least 2 or more daily for my trips, I have started really enjoying more of a laid back approach with maybe 2 to 4 ADRs for the week. Other than that, I have been just winging the rest of the trip either appetizers at lounges, event food booths, last minute meal ADRs, and some quick serve.
So happy to hear the laid back approach works well for you all too. I know it isn't for everyone, but quite literally every minute of my time at work is generally scheduled so to go on vacation and not be planned is truly my idea of nirvana. We do have a few more reservations this time around, largely because like in August we'll be a party of 5 for a good part of the trip and I don't want to chance not being able to get in somewhere.

Awesome trip report... Star Wars references and all! Excited to read about your next trip! Have a fantastic time!
Thank you so much!

:rotfl: I love your family.
Me too :love::love::love:

Yummmm! We're planning to try Cali Grill for dinner for the first time ever this summer. I'm sure it won't disappoint.
When are you going back this summer? Think we are going to use the last of our AP's sometime in mid-August but no plans as of yet.

This is so disappointing. We're hoping to get back to Tiffins again this summer, and I hope it goes better than it did for you. :sad1:
Hopefully we just had an off night and all is back to normal. We are skipping it this trip and will likely do Jiko one night instead.

Yay! I hope Casey hits it off with Gwen and Morgan! This is a meet I can't wait to hear about!
Me too!!! Casey is so excited to have her first "Dis meet" with the girls. Apparently all the adult ones don't count :P except for @ariane37 who she is still hoping will adopt her for half the year so she can double her trips :hug:

So that artichoke app at Via Napoli is perfect 'cause you can do artichoke for both courses, as you did, and as I will also do next time (if that new app stays around-- fingers crossed).
Amen!!!!! I just made some spinach and artichoke pasta for dinner and while it was good, all it made me want was to eat either of these items again.

I love sticking around at the parks longer than you're "supposed" to, it feels like extra vacation. We've been driving since Asher was born so when we do that, we get to our hotel in Georgia right at or past bedtime, which is a little hectic, but worth a couple of extra park hours. We will probably be doing the same as you with the Uber once we start flying.
I think we'd be in the same boat as you if we drove too. We are actually contemplating doing it next summer, just depends on how expensive flights are. With J and D in Savannah now it gives us a good place to stop.

Loved it as usual, have a wonderful trip and May the Force be with you for all things eating and drinking!!
Thanks Caroline!!!! Hopefully the force is strong!

Thanks Kari for a another brilliantly funny TR. Looking forward to the next one. Can't wait to drink with you in May.
Y5Ne.gif
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Thanks for appreciating my talents Glenda :drinking1

Fun wrap-up! Have a great time on your upcoming trip. I’ll be looking forward to the next report!
I'll be looking forward to having you along for the ride again :thumbsup2

Mike and I stayed at BC in 2013 and loved it. I have always wanted to get back there but just haven't yet. It's very hard to get in there at 7 months, and frankly, I'm so in love with the monorail resorts that haven't really tried. I will have to see if I can get back in that area someday, but it'll be even harder once GE happens.
I really did think I would love it. The location was great, but the resort really didn't have the warmth to it that I love about WL, AK, and now Boardwalk. I'm sure we'll go again sometime, but certainly won't be in a rush to do so.

Why do I keep forgetting to get this?? Remind me in May!
Breakfast of Champions!!!!

I HATE to see "completed" on a report that has brought me so many hours (minutes??) of entertainment. BUT, it helps to see another will be starting soon. I just don't understand why we can't get our trips synced. I did Princess LAST year and took this year off. I know have great regret for that decision.
Hours? Minutes? Days? Nanoseconds? Its all relative in the span that is Disney time.

I can't believe we are doing Princess in the wrong years. I actually never thought we'd be down there for that but Jason wants to do a race than runs through the castle and it coincides with Casyes birthday so it seemed like destiny.

Another great trip report. Hope Casey has a lovely birthday.
That Emma!!! Hope all is well across the pond.

Great report! Hope you have a wonderful birthday trip for Casey!
Thanks so much. I talked her out of having a birthday party by telling her I'd buy her a gift every day, so for Casey at least I'm sure the trip will be wonderful. For my wallet not so much :P

Another amusing and beautifully pictured trip report. Looking forward to the next one ! Hope you have a magical trip for Casey’s birthday
Thanks so much. 3 days and counting and we cannot wait!

When are you going back this summer? Think we are going to use the last of our AP's sometime in mid-August but no plans as of yet.

Our dates right now are Aug. 20-Sept. 1 or so. Half off-site, half on. And possibly a few non-Disney days in there *gasp*

except for @ariane37 who she is still hoping will adopt her for half the year so she can double her trips :hug:

:rotfl:

Though really, I want to join @ariane37's family too! Cool folks, and extra Disney trips! Sounds good to me!

Yes and yes. Chickens are all over the town, but they seem to embrace them at Blue Heaven!!!!! I've only ever eaten breakfast there and its amazing
Yes! Okay, I'm glad I was remembering correctly - it's (unfortunately) been several years now. When one can't go to Disney, one should definitely go to Key West! The place is just amazing, all around. Plus... Parrotheads galore ;)

But also like any good Star Wars movie there is a sequel already in the making (more to come on that later).
Yay!!! Two days :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I'm sure we'll be back at some point, but I'm gonna give them some time alone and think about what they've done first. :P
:rotfl2:

They have all been way too into their costumes and with my crew no chance the photos will disappoint.
No chance whatsoever. We'll all be eagerly waiting on those! ::yes::

Have a wonderful time, Kari! :goodvibes Can't wait to read all about it!!!

It was a great day and even better we'll be back again in 5 days!
Yay another dining report coming soon? Can you take lots of pictures of Shades of Green? I want to stay there, but unless we can find someone in the military to take us we will probably never get to go.

Have a wonderful 'Casey's Birthday' trip! I'm with you with all that running, puffing and sweating! Why should you use any muscle other than those taking your glass or fork to your lips?! I can't wait for your next report. It has been at least a couple of hours since your last one! Withdrawal is a terrible thing. I just loved to see all your fun and adventures! Thank you so much for the updates and your great ideas. I'm stealing a few for our May trip!

What a fun trip report! You definitely gave me some ideas.
Thank you so much! Hope your upcoming trip is just as fun.

Our dates right now are Aug. 20-Sept. 1 or so. Half off-site, half on. And possibly a few non-Disney days in there *gasp*
Grrrrr. Our annual passes run out on the 18th so we'll leave by the 19th at at the latest. Though your trip will be starting on my birthday so celebrate accordingly :-)

Yes! Okay, I'm glad I was remembering correctly - it's (unfortunately) been several years now. When one can't go to Disney, one should definitely go to Key West! The place is just amazing, all around. Plus... Parrotheads galore ;)
You got that right. We are clearly way into Disney, but before Casey was born Key West was where we went the majority of the time with a little Disney thrown in. I love how it is "close" yet so far away from everything and the laid back, do nothing but drink and chill vibe is totally mine. We were there last 2 years ago and hopefully will be back later this year or next on an adults only trip.

Yay!!! Two days :hyper::hyper::hyper:
Yep and my work is closed for weather tomorrow so I'm officially on vacation!

Yay another dining report coming soon? Can you take lots of pictures of Shades of Green? I want to stay there, but unless we can find someone in the military to take us we will probably never get to go.
I plan on doing a dining report so I'm going in saying I'll do one. But my work is insane right now, so insane I'm stressed about even going on vacation, so we'll see what awaits me on the other side.

But regardless lots of Shades pictures coming for you. I'm not sure why we've never stayed there as the price is definitely right. This time we were between there and Riverside and even with the military discount there shades was $60 cheaper a night plus the rooms are deluxed sized and have a balcony. If all goes well this will likely become our new norm.

Have a great trip Kari! I can’t wait to hear all about it!!!
Thanks Jenny! Looking forward to sharing.

@kastoney - Did Casey decide to do the 5K race?
Yep. They are doing that Friday morning and then Jason is doing the half marathon on Sunday.

Have a wonderful 'Casey's Birthday' trip! I'm with you with all that running, puffing and sweating! Why should you use any muscle other than those taking your glass or fork to your lips?! I can't wait for your next report. It has been at least a couple of hours since your last one! Withdrawal is a terrible thing. I just loved to see all your fun and adventures! Thank you so much for the updates and your great ideas. I'm stealing a few for our May trip!
Thanks so much. My mantra is why run when you can walk, but I think I like your definition must better :P

And hopefully I'll be able to get a dining report done, though you may have to wait a wee more than a few hours. I'm looking at working 50-60 hours for the next few months so time will be few and far between, but this is certainly my stress reliever

I love how it is "close" yet so far away from everything and the laid back, do nothing but drink and chill vibe is totally mine. We were there last 2 years ago and hopefully will be back later this year or next on an adults only trip.
Yes! The place is just all around amazing. I need to get back. ASAP! However, while I will [somewhat] happily go to Disney solo, I think Key West really needs to be enjoyed with someone else... so maybe I'll work on that part first :rotfl:

Yep and my work is closed for weather tomorrow so I'm officially on vacation!
Yippee!!!!! Happy vacation! And have a wonderful time at Disney!!! Can't wait to hear all about it! :goodvibes

I plan on doing a dining report so I'm going in saying I'll do one. But my work is insane right now, so insane I'm stressed about even going on vacation, so we'll see what awaits me on the other side.

But regardless lots of Shades pictures coming for you. I'm not sure why we've never stayed there as the price is definitely right. This time we were between there and Riverside and even with the military discount there shades was $60 cheaper a night plus the rooms are deluxed sized and have a balcony. If all goes well this will likely become our new norm.
I hope you have a good stay there! A cheaper rate is definitely a plus and it's in a good location. I understand about work, hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy your trip.

Grrrrr. Our annual passes run out on the 18th so we'll leave by the 19th at at the latest. Though your trip will be starting on my birthday so celebrate accordingly :-)

I was afraid you'd say that. We can't leave here until Nathan gets back from one of his painting weekends, so the 20th was about as early as we can swing it. :( Oh well, hopefully one of these times we'll make an actual meet happen! And I'll be sure to celebrate that day then! I'll get a celebration button and everything! CM: "Hi Princess, what are you celebrating?" Me: "Kari's birthday, duh!" CM: o_O

I was afraid you'd say that. We can't leave here until Nathan gets back from one of his painting weekends, so the 20th was about as early as we can swing it. :( Oh well, hopefully one of these times we'll make an actual meet happen! And I'll be sure to celebrate that day then! I'll get a celebration button and everything! CM: "Hi Princess, what are you celebrating?" Me: "Kari's birthday, duh!" CM: o_O

You won't even need to say that. The cast member will just know. Its a National holiday after all :P

If I'm time traveling correctly you are in Disney NOW!!!!!! Hope you are having an amazing time, and even more important eating and drinking well :drinking1

OMG!! the best trip!!! We ate at Cali Grill and there was a proposal out on the balcony while we were there watching the fireworks, and then dinners at Morimoto's (where Geraldo Rivera sat down at the table next to us!!??) and then The Boathouse and finally Homecomin - my biggest issue was that DH had given me his cold so my taste buds were "off" a little and I was so stuffy the night we were at Homecomin' I couldnt taste anything..

womp..womp.. >:(

BUT that means it's on the food list for June 2020!!

and.....best news ever...

we BOUGHT DVC @ Copper Creek!! :jumping1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

can hardly keep in my excitement!!

Can't wait to hear about your trip!!

Last edited:
Who are we kidding, tipsy makes everything more awesome-er :P I'm sure we'll have some tipsy adventures on our next trip. Funny thing is I new know when I've actually done it. I rarely read my notes until I'm going to write about them and on particularly tipsy meals I'm usually so into the meal/drinks I hastily write something later and voila.....Tipsy notes are born!

Oh I totally agree, true tipsy notes must just happen, they cannot be planned in advance. On a totally separate note, given your love of carciofi and pizza (with charred crust of course), I had to note that I am currently in Rome on business (plus pleasure, because....Rome!), and have managed to have some form of artichoke in almost all of my dinners. Though I only know you from reading a few of your trip reports (which are my favs), it's funny that I thought of you when having this food. Funny how these boards can make these random connections! Have you been to Rome? Hope you are enjoying an amazing Disney trip, with your yummy carciofi appetizers and pizza with a perfectly charred crust!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!