Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

SERIOUSLY love me some Sound of Music!!!!!!

Your burgers look awesome! Joe and I still need to get over there...There and Blaze...
Me too. Though Casey and her cousins developed quite the affinity for it this year. So much so that they have put on their own productions of it. All I can say is Sound of Music produced by a 7 year old is a sight and sound you'll never forget :-)

Seriously loving all of your reviews! D-Luxe is delicious. It’s going to be our arrival no park day lunch in May. Can’t wait for more!
Thanks so much!!!! D-Luxe sounds like the perfect arrival day spot to me!

The D-Luxe burger is making me rethink tonight's dinner plans. Will have to consider it next trip since we usually are at DS multiple times a trip to eat. Like you I am missing the "shopping gene". We hit the Christmas, Kitchen , Disney Art & World of Disney stores and that's about it (except for a free sample at Ghirardelli;))
Are you in Disney now???? Or just craving a burger for dinner? :-)

I did go in Basin, the Christmas Store, and World of Disney, but otherwise I just hung out on a bench with the boys :P

D-Luxe burger does sound like a good post drinking day! Poor you on having your daughter have the shopping gene! Someone in the family has to have one!

Those types of ranch sound so good right now! Glad you enjoyed them with your appropriate type of fries ;)
Hamburgers really are my rally food. Nothing like beef, grease, and a bun to revive you! And of course some "appropriate" ranch :P

I'm in a world of hurt with Casey. Thankfully D is the one who usually takes her shopping but now that they've moved I've had to endure more than my fair share. She unquestionably did not get the right mother :-)

Ulcer.

We wanted to try the s'mores and pumpkin shakes from D-Luxe, but we never made it over as we were too busy being piggy piggies elsewhere.
I bet ya if they had a cheese milkshake that would have gotten you there :P

Happy late Thanksgiving! I hope you guys had a great day and weekend. Just now getting to catch up on everyone.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Hope you had a good one there too! Now more importantly on to Christmas :santa:

I love that Casey "conned" D into buying her souvenirs with the half-birthday trick. Iconic!!!
It usually doesn't take much but she certainly milked this one for all it was worth.

D-Luxe looks delicious! I had the Southern Burger last summer when they'd recently opened, and it basically disintegrated after a bite or two -- I think the bread was different, and the burger had excess grease -- but it looks like they've got it together now, with this review and all the other rave reviews. Happy to see it was a good meal :)
Yikes! That does not sound like a good experience. They most definitely must have changed out the buns because we had no issues at all. Highly recommend you give it another go.

Me too. Though Casey and her cousins developed quite the affinity for it this year. So much so that they have put on their own productions of it. All I can say is Sound of Music produced by a 7 year old is a sight and sound you'll never forget :-)

Oh, I'm sure!!!! Whenever it's on I do tend to sing out loud at the top of my lungs for all my family to enjoy...:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I have a picture of Tyler with the Mickey bar that looks identical to yours lol. D-Luxe is on the list for next trip in May
I think the MIckey bar must come with instructions that thou must pretend to eat it :-)

And here I always thought grease is the word :laughing:
It is the word, is the word, is the word its got groove its got feeling :-)

I spend most my life in need of some serious carbohydrates :rotfl:
You and me both! Even after Thanksgiving its still not enough carbs to satisfy :P

I kept reading along expecting to see alcohol, and was shocked when I didn't :laughing:
It's a rarity we go without on vacation but it does happen every once in a while :-)

I'm so excited to ride SDD - everyone keeps saying it was way better than they'd expected. Glad to see you snagged a FP for later that night, too. :thumbsup2
You should love it!!! Though in a bit of foreshadowing we would not be able to use that FP!

I need to stay for a week and only eat at Disney Springs to get through my list of places to try and also hit my favorites.
Oh that sounds like an awesome idea. There is so much good there and we just don't get down enough to experience most of it.

So nice your friends could come to Disney to celebrate your birthday. I’m a little surprised they weren’t converted after all the fun you had!!
She definitely had more fun than him and in fact is joining us in February to do the Princess races with Jason. He really doesn't like crowds so his tolerating it with us was the best we could hope for!

Hollywood Studios is a war zone. The parking lot, bus station, and walking path from Epcot resort area are all a mess. I suppose it will all be worth it ... although may be years before the crowds dissipate enough for me to visit (if they ever do).
I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, but you think they could have done something different to the entrance so it wasn't so horrible.

I love to hear when other's celebrate their half birthdays. I always celebrate mine, go out and celebrate and do something fun. My Husband gives me half a card, it's cute.
I love this!!! She doesn't always celebrate her half birthday but had a bit of the green eyed monster going after my birthday. We thought her half birthday was actually going to be my birthday, but she was born a minute after midnight so we are officially 6 months and 1 day apart.

OMG this sounds amazing. I love all things milkshakes, I wish I could reach through my computer and grab that drink lol.
Wouldn't that be nice if all things food worked that way. You could just reach through the computer and eat whatever your little heart desires. Heck I'd I could eat all your wedding food :-)

The construction happening at the front of the park is very annoying. When we went for the Welcome Dinner we got on the tram in the parking lot and it literally brought us like two feet closer since they can't get anywhere near the front of the park.
That certainly wouldn't be a very good welcome for all your guests!!

It looks like an iced cappachino.
It was some kind of special they had that was maybe cold brew coffee but I have zero recall. I rarely do starbucks so beyond there was coffee in it I usually got nothing.

I didn’t think I would ever be hungry after Thanksgiving and those burgers and fries look yummy right about now!
I know right? I don't think I've eaten breakfast or lunch all weekend but I could totally go for a burger right about now!

When we went I really liked Andi’s speciality burger more than the plain cheeseburger. I can’t remember which one but it was spicy and tasty!
Sounds like it may have been the same one Jason had. Either way, oh so good!

Oh, I'm sure!!!! Whenever it's on I do tend to sing out loud at the top of my lungs for all my family to enjoy...:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I forgot to mention that they just love when this happens, NOT!!!

I think you could join our family and be Maria in no time!!! They drove us so crazy with it we had to ban it for a while so they just started to "write" their own plays. That may not have been a good decision on our parts o_O

Wow I'm loving this review so far, very well written too, I feel like I'm almost there with you lol.

I'm really interested to see the rest of your adventures, me and my partner are visiting WDW at pretty much the exact dates you were there, next year, how were the crowds, the heat?

If you have any tips I'd really appreciate them, we'll be on the DDP, I'll probably make a fair few ADR's, we're based in the UK so we don't have things like the Landrys card to get us in with no waits :charac2:

After contemplating our options we ultimately decided on D-Luxe Burger for lunch. Because hamburgers, they do a tipsy stomach good!
I do enjoy burgers, and I've read good things about D-Luxe. it was on my list in August but never made it there. There are so many good options in DTD/Springs - whichever you'd like to call it

With 40 square miles available you’d think Disney could have at least sprung for wider walkways.
Or at least an air conditioned gift shop. It's a bit curious they had to turn a shop down on Sunset Blvd into Toy Story because they neglected to build anything in the land itself.

We were able to pick up an additional fast pass for slinky dog that night though.
Interesting. I had never considered checking for the day of FP. I just made the assumption they would all be gone.

Casey even found someone to make her a "half birthday button" as she was 7 1/2 today and used this to con D into buying her half of Disney springs, including this guy (the stuffed mickey bar, not the actual “guy”)!

Smart girl!

Overall we really enjoyed D-Luxe Burger. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way for it since we can get great burgers at home too, but it hit the day after tipsy spot perfectly.

The burger that I will go out of my way for is at Geyser Point…luckily, in May it's not out of the way at all!

ended up waiting 45 minutes at POFQ for an MGM bus and then to add insult to injury were dropped of at a war zone I believe was formerly known as Hollywood Studios. MGM would never have stood for such things!

Such a hot mess :crazy2:

We did get our first trip on Slinky Dog.

Which was much more fun than I would have imagined, though no ride picture for us.

It's so much fun! And none of my pictures came out either :guilty:

I’m here!!!! Only 14 pages late!

Been a bit MIA on the Dis, but I’m pretty much back even if only a bit but I do have a trip coming up so should be around a bit more!

Your birthday looked so fun!! Overall so far food looks fab and looks like a great trip!

Not that I don’t know but how hot is August really? Looks like we are hitting up August for the first time this year!

Ummm ulcer on not I NEED that burger Jason had!

Trying to get caught up around the DIS, although I am pretty sure I followed some of your adventures on FB!

He washed this down with a S’mores Milkshake which is Vanilla Gelato blended with Milk, Toasted Marshmallow, Dark Chocolate Sauce, and crushed Graham Crackers, topped with Whipped Cream, Crushed Graham Crackers, Marshmallows and Dark Chocolate drizzle.

This looks amazing, and I'm a sucker for anything with marshmallow in it, but I think I would have to have this as my meal, not WITH a meal lol

Like most everyone I was struck by how compact this area was. With 40 square miles available you’d think Disney could have at least sprung for wider walkways. The heat and claustrophobia were real.

I really wonder why they did this. I haven't seen it yet, but I keep hearing about how hot and claustrophobic the area is. That just doesn't seem right for something that is brand new, I would have thought these days they would think these things through better...and the lack of shade I have heard is also sad...I still want to see it of course!!

Geez I didn't realize I was so far behind! Your birthday was FABULOUS, just like you :snooty: Only wish I had been there to help :drinking1

Even though our one visit to CG didn't wow either of us I'm willing to go back and try it again based on all your reviews. Just have to convince my better half.......

And D-Luxe Burger too which I've never been interested in trying it but your Southern Burger with the fried green tomato looks delicious. I did want to try Chicken Guy last week because I thought the boys would enjoy it but we didn't end up eating in DS at all.

Also, it's very strange seeing Jason with a milkshake :rotfl:

Exactly! I think we're kindred spirits... though it's possible you may be able to outdrink me :laughing:
We'd have to put that to the test to know for sure :-)

Wow I'm loving this review so far, very well written too, I feel like I'm almost there with you lol.

I'm really interested to see the rest of your adventures, me and my partner are visiting WDW at pretty much the exact dates you were there, next year, how were the crowds, the heat?

If you have any tips I'd really appreciate them, we'll be on the DDP, I'll probably make a fair few ADR's, we're based in the UK so we don't have things like the Landrys card to get us in with no waits :charac2:
Thank you so much. I'm glad you are enjoying.

This was our 4th trip I think in August so we've gotten used to the heat. In the moment it seems intolerable, but then we look back and it doesn't seem that bad. Its really the constant humidity that is the trouble. We usually take a mid-afternoon break when its the hottest which helps. You'll also need to be prepared for thunderstorms just about every day. But we're likely going again next August so it can't be that bad :sunny:

The crowds are generally pretty good in August. The later you go in the month, the less the crowds get as kids go back to school.

My main tip is to not over schedule yourself dining wise. We had reservations at California Grill for this trip and that was pretty much it. We usually pick up ADRs day of, which is helpful in August if the weather has other plans. For example on this trip we ended up at Jiko one night instead of Disney Springs which was our "plan." Thankfully we had no ADRs so we didn't lose any money. Presuming there are only 2 of you it should be easy to score lots of last minute options. I like to play with the website on any given day to see what would be open that day to give you an idea of could be available. I'd also say to focus on what you want to eat vice what is a "value" on the DDP. We don't do the dining plan but I see far too many people fall victim to what they should be eating to get a value (and being disappointed) and missing out on the truly good restaurants down there.

I do enjoy burgers, and I've read good things about D-Luxe. it was on my list in August but never made it there. There are so many good options in DTD/Springs - whichever you'd like to call it
You're right there are so many good option in Disney Springs and far too little time.

Interesting. I had never considered checking for the day of FP. I just made the assumption they would all be gone.
We've had luck getting them for both Slinky Dog and Flight of Passage. Its a game for me so I love trying to see what we can get for our extra FP's.

Pretty sure Kari can out drink all of us!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I have a sinking feeling we could go toe to toe :drinking1

The burger that I will go out of my way for is at Geyser Point…luckily, in May it's not out of the way at all!
Oh I had no idea they had such a good burger. We've actually never been there. I may be even more excited now :D

It's so much fun! And none of my pictures came out either :guilty:
At least I'm in good company

I’m here!!!! Only 14 pages late!

Been a bit MIA on the Dis, but I’m pretty much back even if only a bit but I do have a trip coming up so should be around a bit more!

Your birthday looked so fun!! Overall so far food looks fab and looks like a great trip!

Not that I don’t know but how hot is August really? Looks like we are hitting up August for the first time this year!

Ummm ulcer on not I NEED that burger Jason had!
HI stranger! I hope you are doing well and great news you have a trip coming up. The best time to visit the DIS :-)

It is definitely hot, but the humidity is what the real killer is. But if you take breaks during the worst of it during the day its doable. We're going back again this August, so it can't be all that bad :-)

Trying to get caught up around the DIS, although I am pretty sure I followed some of your adventures on FB!
Great to see you Kathy!

This looks amazing, and I'm a sucker for anything with marshmallow in it, but I think I would have to have this as my meal, not WITH a meal lol
It could probably be a meal by itself, but in my defense we did split it all amongst 5 of us :-)

I really wonder why they did this. I haven't seen it yet, but I keep hearing about how hot and claustrophobic the area is. That just doesn't seem right for something that is brand new, I would have thought these days they would think these things through better...and the lack of shade I have heard is also sad...I still want to see it of course!!
There is no conceivable explanation for it.

Geez I didn't realize I was so far behind! Your birthday was FABULOUS, just like you :snooty: Only wish I had been there to help :drinking1
Well you did have a little trip to the world in there so I'll forgive you :-)

My birthday was fabulous, but it would have been even better if you were there! :hug:

Even though our one visit to CG didn't wow either of us I'm willing to go back and try it again based on all your reviews. Just have to convince my better half.......
Funny how we each have our favorite restaurants that the other hasn't been wowed at. I think CG and Jiko are the only signatures that have never disappointed us, but clearly that is not everyones experience.

And D-Luxe Burger too which I've never been interested in trying it but your Southern Burger with the fried green tomato looks delicious. I did want to try Chicken Guy last week because I thought the boys would enjoy it but we didn't end up eating in DS at all.
I'm not sure i would have tried it had we not been starving and in need of grease, but I'm glad we did.

And I'll forgive you for the Chicken Guy thing. I've read its actually pretty decent but Guy Fieri is just a sacrilege to food to me :P

Also, it's very strange seeing Jason with a milkshake :rotfl:
It's a rarity he turns in hops or barley for milk :drinking1

You can get the Landry card in the uk. Mine was posted to me. Well worth it

HI stranger! I hope you are doing well and great news you have a trip coming up. The best time to visit the DIS :-)

It is definitely hot, but the humidity is what the real killer is. But if you take breaks during the worst of it during the day its doable. We're going back again this August, so it can't be all that bad :-)

The best time to visit the DIS is when you have trip coming up! I also have a drop to Disneyland Paris and since I know next to nothing about that a bit of research is needed!

Well happy to hear it isn’t all bad! :) When in August are you guys going? We are tentatively the 23-30.

I’m ready for some more tipsy notes that had me laughing out loud! Keep them coming!

The best time to visit the DIS is when you have trip coming up! I also have a drop to Disneyland Paris and since I know next to nothing about that a bit of research is needed!

Well happy to hear it isn’t all bad! :) When in August are you guys going? We are tentatively the 23-30.

I’m ready for some more tipsy notes that had me laughing out loud! Keep them coming!
Disneyland Paris??? That is awesome. Hope to get there myself one of these days.

No firm dates for August yet, but our annual pass runs out on the 19th so it will be before then.

Not a "real" update, but we went to see a Christmas Carol at Fords Theater last night and had dinner at the Jaleo in DC so I thought I'd give you all a preview of the deliciousness that awaits in Disney Springs. For those who are not aware Jaleo is a Spanish tapas restaurant from world renowned Chef Jose Andres that is due to open in Disney Springs next year.

We've been fans of Jose Andres DC restaurants for quite a while now (Minibar, his molecular gastronomy place is our favorite) but this was Casey's first introduction. I'm thrilled to say she - and of course us - loved it! As you all know we love to share our food and prefer small plates, so this was the perfect dinner. Here are our dishes from least to most favorite, though there wasn't a bad one in the bunch.

This is Lomo de buey con piquillos which is grilled hanger steak with confit piquillo peppers. This was Jason's pick and despite it being my least favorite dish it was very good and the steak cooked to perfection. It paired really well with the sweet piquillo peppers, but I'm not a huge pepper fan to begin with.

This is another Jason pick the
Plato mixto de croquetas which is a selection of all chicken, ham, and spinach croquetas. They were all exceptionally crunchy on the outside and cheesy on the inside and the spinach was by far my favorite.

Up next we have Casey's pick,
Calamares a la romana a.k.a. fried fresh calamari with squid ink aioli

The calamari was tender and cooked perfectly and the squid ink aioli added a complexity and brininess that was really good. Again this was a great dish and a unique take on a classic, just not as great as what was to come.

Here we have the Gambas al ajillo which is apparently a very, very famous tapa of shrimp sautéed with garlic.

This was my selection and these were huge and juicy shrimp with just a touch of spice from the ton of garlic and paprika in there. The shrimp were amazing, but I may have loved dipping bread in the sauce even more.

Now we're getting into the top contenders. At the #3 spot is the Garbanzos con espinaca which is a Moorish style chickpea and spinach stew with a poached egg on top.

This was another Jason selection and oh my goodness it was so delicious. The chickpeas and spinach went wonderfully together and the egg yolk added a depth and richness. The stew had chunks of bread in it which sopped up the delicious garlic and saffron sauce. Spanish perfection!

In the #2 spot is the Butifarra casera con mongetes 'Daniel Patrick Moynihan'* which is grilled house-made pork sausage with sautéed white beans.

I had ordered this because I figured Jason would be disappointed if we didn't have some sort of sausage and it turns out I would have been disappointed if we didn't order it. While it sounds deceptively simple, the sweet and tender sausage paired beautifully with the firm white beans. It had a lemony sauce to accompany it which really brought it all together. I'm not describing it well but there was something so amazing about its simplicity that I won't soon forget it.

And last - but certainly not least - the best thing I've eaten in a long time Coles De Brussels Rojo - Fried Brussel Sprouts with Mojo Rojo Sauce.

I love brussels sprouts anyway, but fry them up and toss them in smokey and slightly tart mojo sauce and these were next level. The actual sprouts were crunchy and burnt - which is how I like them - and the sauce added an amazing spice. Unquestionably the best brussels sprouts I've ever eaten and all of our favorite dishes of the meal.

These are maybe 5% of the options Jaleo has and they will unquestionably have something for every taste bud. Run, don't walk, when this opens in Disney Springs!!

Oh and you know I couldn't miss an opportunity to show you my girl from last night.

She got about a million complements on her dress and was of course quite enamored with herself :-)

Last edited:
We'd have to put that to the test to know for sure :-)
Challenge accepted ;)

we went to see a Christmas Carol at Fords Theater
How cool! I haven't been there in eons. And certainly not to see A Christmas Carol!

Run, don't walk, when this opens in Disney Springs!!
:thumbsup2

She got about a million complements on her dress and was of course quite enamored with herself :-)
And rightly so! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!