Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

OMG. I'm going to assume this isn't Jason. :eek:
But I guess it's true that everything tastes like...chicken? :laughing:
No thankfully I came to my senses and it was not Jason. Everything does indeed taste like chicken, just dark meat in this case.

The iPad does help! Although, we do try to not use it MOST of the time. But sometimes you just got to do it! For awhile Gwen's favorite restaurant was Buffalo Wild Wings and it was only because they gave the kids tablets to use while there. Thankfully, we convinced them, that they could just bring there own to restaurants with better food!
You're better than me, it pretty much is a staple for any car ride or trip to a restaurant. Though she can amuse herself and will color if that is an option, we largely have it because she would just incessantly talk otherwise :P

Also, If we meet up in Feb., we might have to go to Casey's! Gwen's favorite food is corn dog nuggets and she actually hasn't had them from there yet! It can be a first for both of them!
I'm sure both girls would love that :thumbsup2

Seems like us Irish people spell like our Canadian neighbours :rotfl:
You mean you all aren't the same?

Did you know that arugula is called rocket here and that when people are a wee bit tipsy/out there they may well be referred to as "space cadets" so your meal and tipsy state were a match made in heaven lol:rotfl:
I did know arugula was rocket. We went to London several years ago and I was in heaven with all the rocket everywhere! Though maybe in that - and this - case I'm a rocket cadet :P

Seriously love your tipsy notes not only do they make me slur my speech they leave me gasping for breath I laugh so hard:rotfl2:
Keep up the good work:thumbsup2
If tipsy notes are good "work" then I've found my life calling :drinking1

Oh and I'm guessing that the fact you and Jason are still together means he managed to restrain himself from devouring all your birthday treats :woohoo:
Well there may be a big spoiler alert in this report :confused3 Just kidding:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Episode IV: Pre-Birthday Wars: Tipsy’s Edge

After our adventurous day in Magic Kingdom we headed back to Boardwalk for a break. The boys napped and drank a few beers (not in that order) while us women folk visited the Creepy Clown Pool.

We also stopped by the Boardwalk Bakery to pick up some coffee for the aforementioned napping boys and some sweets for us.

Casey got the mermaid cupcake which she said tasted like old freezer. Gonna go out on a limb and say that was not the flavor profile they were going for. I also got a cheesecake brownie that Jason thought was for him and ate while I was in the shower. #AnotherBirthdayWin

After snacks and cleaning up our plan was to head to Disney Springs for some bar hopping. Unfortunately it was pouring rain so we enjoyed a few adult beverages in the room while we contemplated our options. There weren’t too many ADRs for 5 open so we decided to chance it and head to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see what trouble we could find.

Sadly, after first stopping at Kidani, the Sanna lounge was packed but thankfully after a quick bus ride we found an empty Jiko lounge to spend our evening in.

We started with a bottle of Guillermo Swartland Pinotage

And toasted my last night of 43

This was one of several bottles we went through over the course of the evening and things (or at least my notes) went downhill from there. Thankfully Casey had seen this rodeo before and came prepared with her electronics.

For eats we started with the Elk Flabtread which the menu describes as Elk Loin, Harissa-infused Goat Cheese, and Olive-Arugula Salad.

My tipsy notes however had a different take. “Elk flatbread awesome elk nog dry spicy good pears goat cheese crunky arugula.” Translation: We liked it.

We also ordered their other seasonal flatbread the South African Succotash Flatbread with Corn Salad, Patty Pan Squash, Toy Tomatoes, Fava Bean Puree, and Four Cheese Blend.

Or you could go with my tipsy notes description: “No bueno stink cheese Jason smells drity feet. No corn but like peter pan.” Translation: It smelled like dirty feet but we liked the paddy pan squash.

Next up we have the Pork Tenderloin with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Herb-smoked Oil, and Micro Cilantro

Clearly they should instead change their menu to say “Cooked pinky n juicy. Love PAP!!!! Tomata spicey chaka.”

Oddly all of this was not food for 4 adults downing a few bottles of wine so bring on round two.

Here we have the Taste of Africa with African-inspired Dips (Red Sambal, Hummus, Mango Chutney and Raita), Pappadum, Sesame Fatir, and House-made Flax Seed Naan.

I’m going to go with we liked it because “Love warm Egypt amazing rival Sanna naan naan but do not flax just plane crunch. Live sambal most hummus nned more olive mango chuty nice good thick cuc stuff.”

Lastly we have a charcuterie plate and God only knows what was on this because….

“Packing on meat side Smoked prociuto and salami mustard more stink casey spit but berry sauce eat honeycomb and one with stachios like stinky best” Translation: There was some prosciutto and salami and more stinky cheese that I believe Casey spit out.

You’ll be shocked to know I didn’t write down how much we saved with Tables in Wonderland. Hopefully we actually used it.

We eventually uber’d back to Boardwalk and put Casey to bed before a night cap in J and D’s room. They were kind enough to pack my favorite tipsy foods – Chex mix and Potato Chips – so we did some serious damage before succumbing to bed.

Up next, tipsy birthday around the world!!

The fact that I put them in my phone helps. If I had to read them they'd look something like this
chinese_symbols_for_drunk_9009_2_33.png

What ADR's did you end up getting?

Yep, I think that was my grocery list!

We ended up with our first choice times for everything ... so far. Our plans include dinner at Flying Fish, Narcoossee's, Citrico's, lunch at the Boathouse, Tokyo Dining, Sci-Fi Dine In & breakfast at Crystal Palace and GF Cafe. So, we'll have quite a bit to walk off in the parks! :D

The margarita is Tequila with Strawberry and Blood Orange flavors topped with Strawberry Boba Balls and I did not like it at all.

You could have passed it to me, sweet and fruity and frozen is my kinda drink:thumbsup2

no sooner had our vehicle taken off than the woman sitting next to J decided she didn’t want to ride and tried to jump off. Jump off!!!!

What????? Crazy woman

Not wanting to chance Ariane's (aka @ariane37) favorite Boardwalk Pizza Window we decided to use our Landry’s card and eat at one of our favorites Yak n Yeti.

Every time I pass by that pizza window I think of @ariane37! I’m afraid, very afraid

And of course it wouldn’t be a trip to Yak and Yeti without one of my favorite foods in all of WDW: Ahi Tuna Nachos!!

Yes!!!!! Those babies are so awesome

CrunchySpicyTunaWontonPerfection

Love

These were large fried shrimp in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce. While good the cup is deceiving as it was 75% filled with very salty coleslaw and only had 6 shrimp. While they were large it wasn’t quite shareable. They also charged $15 for it because we got to keep the cup. Would have been nice to know that up front.

Wow, ‘spensive. Sounds good though

MK does need to seriously up their food game.

I totally agree. Lots of room for improvement

The boys napped and drank a few beers (not in that order)

Dang, I was trying to get a mental picture of “napping while drinking”

My tipsy notes however had a different take. “Elk flatbread awesome elk nog dry spicy good pears goat cheese crunky arugula.” Translation: We liked it.

Living for your tipsy notes! :rotfl:

So as promised I’m reporting back on Nomad Lounge. I think I may have found my favorite place on Earth. We spent about an hour and a half there before our lunch at Tiffins. I’m now stuck on the Jenn’s Tattoo ( vodka, watermelon, lime and hibiscus). Very refreshing! :drinking1

I love your trip reports ...cannot wait to read!
Thanks so much!

We ended up with our first choice times for everything ... so far. Our plans include dinner at Flying Fish, Narcoossee's, Citrico's, lunch at the Boathouse, Tokyo Dining, Sci-Fi Dine In & breakfast at Crystal Palace and GF Cafe. So, we'll have quite a bit to walk off in the parks! :D
Awesome pics!!!!!! Can I come? :P

I 1000000000% understand exactly what flavor that is lol! As soon as I read it I was like "Yep. I get it"
Freezer taste is definitely one that we are all sadly aware of. Not that Disney would freeze their cupcakes or anything :-)

You could have passed it to me, sweet and fruity and frozen is my kinda drink:thumbsup2
It's all yours. I'll take tart and boozy over sweet and fruity any day :drinking1

Every time I pass by that pizza window I think of @ariane37! I’m afraid, very afraid
Me too!!!! I kept thinking to take a picture and send it to her but it was raining just about every time we were near it. Must have been the world crying over their pizza.

Dang, I was trying to get a mental picture of “napping while drinking”
Not gonna lie, that has happened with these boys.

So as promised I’m reporting back on Nomad Lounge. I think I may have found my favorite place on Earth. We spent about an hour and a half there before our lunch at Tiffins. I’m now stuck on the Jenn’s Tattoo ( vodka, watermelon, lime and hibiscus). Very refreshing! :drinking1
WOOHOO!!!!!!!! So happy you loved it. Its simultaneously non-Disney yet so Disney at the same time. Jenn's Tattoo is one of my favs too.

Episode 5: Birthday Wars: Epcot's Edge

Go shorty its my birthday, we gonna party like its my birthday, we gonna drink Bacardi like its my birthday, and you know I don't give a !**&@ its not your birthday.

You’ll never guess but today was the national holiday that marks the day of my birth and there was nowhere I would rather have been then some tipsy adventures around the world.

We even came up with our very own gang symbol to represent my 44th year on the planet.

#Don’tMessWithTheBirthdayGang

My notes from this day are a bit sparse, but my photos plentiful. Rather than trying to expand on my notes I thought it would be fun to try and find the pictures that I think represent what I meant.

Please do enjoy...

Soarin land space club cool test mission

Mexico

maelstrom RIP

Nice head slightly sweet but not too much over chili lime rim

D bled orange

Jason wild one

J regular

El Diablo nice cucumber but really spice

Drinks good but way too expensive chips and dips too like guacamole nice chunky bit of heat good queso nice consistency

Play phinwous and fern mexico game on phone enjoy

China more Casey game

Africa face paint sushi awesome

Germany Schaffer and pretzel huge bit dry

Skip Italy and merica Jason kolch

Japan Casey candy Jason stinky crabs like Vegas couldn’t even eat from smell

Boys Kirin and frozen one. But weird but good on hot day

D and I sale flight like dry one start with J best others little too sweet

Morocco

France citron slushy refreshing but don't get it

Bacon tart to room nice flavor but sitting around awhile not very fresh

SUCCESS!!!

Up next....more birthday adventures at my favorite restaurant

Your tipsy notes are hysterical. I love how you're showing your friends the right way to do Disney! I think you already said that they weren't converted and I just can't understand why not!?! It looks like you all are having a blast!

Kari, I love all the pics you all took with the different hats! Totally cute!

That pretzel is bigger than Casey's head!!!!

Cute ears HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Tell Casey I don't know what I lover more her short or her face paint.

:lmao:

I was gonna say this was cute then I saw you trying to take the drink out of Casey's hand and now I'm changing it to hilarious. Had to post this gif not related but what I found when I was searching hilarious gifs, made me laugh. .
giphy.gif

Here this one might be more appropriate for the occasion...Case not getting any drinky.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-15231-1385051185-25.gif

Ah Sake I understood that Tipsy misspelled note. I tried some of the Nigori Saki (white stuff) last spring and gotta say not a fan like the the clear ones.

Very funny post.

What a wonderful birthday adventure you had! Just love the hats and the tipsy treats! I've celebrated an Unbirthday at WDW, but never a birthday. I must try it one day!
This was my first time actually being there for my birthday and I must say it should definitely be experienced at least once. We've been there close in time before but there was certainly something more fun about it being my actual birthday

That looks like so much fun!
It most certainly was! Exactly how I wanted my birthday to be.

Looks like an amazing birthday!!
It was! :thumbsup2

looks like a fun day at epcot!
Fun doesn't even begin to describe it :-)

Your tipsy notes are hysterical. I love how you're showing your friends the right way to do Disney! I think you already said that they weren't converted and I just can't understand why not!?! It looks like you all are having a blast!
We did have a blast but they certainly aren't "disney" people. She had more fun than him and is actually going to join us in February and do the Princess half marathon with Jason. I think he enjoyed it as much as he could but in the end the crowds and "disney counter culture" as he called it were just too much for him. This is a guy who just went to his first amusement park ever last year (Hershey Park) and he was 55 at the time!

Amazing! I love the whole post!
Thank you. Clearly you had a wee bit of influence :-)

phinwous.... ha!
I clerlee got some good spellin' skills :P For you we did play the game on the phone this day and another and Casey loved it, though it was way more involved than I expected it to be.

So. was it good or no? I forgot all about the frozen one.
From what I remember it was good. The frozen part was a bit weird but it was just on top and was good at keeping the rest of it cool on such a hot day.

Who doesn’t love spending a Birthday drinking around the world! Looks like a fun time, nice notes! Haha
Whoever they are I don't want anything to do with them :P

Cute ears HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Thanks. My first ears ever courtesy of D :P

Tell Casey I don't know what I lover more her short or her face paint.
Its hard to tell from the picture, but he copied 3 sushi right off of her shirt and did an AMAZING job!!!! I sent an email to guest relations after the trip because he was so amazingly talented.

I was gonna say this was cute then I saw you trying to take the drink out of Casey's hand and now I'm changing it to hilarious. Had to post this gif not related but what I found when I was searching hilarious gifs, made me laugh. .
giphy.gif
Oh my god I am dying. That is so right and so wrong and my new favorite thing ever!!!!

Here this one might be more appropriate for the occasion...Case not getting any drinky.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-15231-1385051185-25.gif
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I think she had Jason's drink because he was taking the picture. Though she'd never even attempt to try it. She is a very rule oriented kiddo and I'm guessing she'll be 21 to the day before she partakes :drinking1

Ah Sake I understood that Tipsy misspelled note. I tried some of the Nigori Saki (white stuff) last spring and gotta say not a fan like the the clear ones.
Took me a minute to figure that one out too though I have nothing on the rest of my notes. Sake is one of those things I want to love and keep trying it (including at our local sushi joint last night), but have yet to find one to my liking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter