Dining traditions

bcrook

DIS Veteran
My family goes to WDW every year at least once, and it has been fun to watch my kids grow up there. My children are now in their mid 20’s and they keep going back with me. We have developed some intersting dining habits over the past 20 years.

1. My DD25 and I always find a way to slip away from everyone else and eat at Marrakech. We love those mussels, mint tea and baklava sampler.
2. Because we almost always stay at Kidani, Jiko dining or visiting the bar a press pot of coffee and appetizers is a regular. This is my DS22 favorite experience. Sometimes it’s just the two of us.
3. The Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge in the last few years has become a regular stop for sliders and a cocktail. We have our favorite seats.
4. Olivia’s for breakfast to have Bloody Marys, omelettes, outside dining, and Jimmy Buffet music.
5. Columbia Harbor house for a fish basket and sit upstairs by the window. This is longest running tradition dating back to my childhood.
6. My daughter and I have been visiting all four parks in a single day to eat different favorites. We have done this about every other year, and plan on doing it again in June.

What odd routines have you developed over the years?

Last edited:
For some reason, we always end our trip with the Crystal Palace....
It’s become a family tradition since our first trip with kids. The first two were 4 & 2 and are now (just turned) 18 & 15 years old.

We always have LTT for lunch on our first day, got to have the freedom pasta and ooey gooey toffee cake and pomegranate lemonade
We have to have Ohana for dinner during each trip
Have to get some Tonga Toast from Capt Cooks each trip
We always use snack credits for ham and cheese croissant (toasted) and a dessert for one of our Epcot lunches
We always have a meal at Pecos Bills
We always get the caramel [popcorn in Karmel Kuche
Traditionally we always drive down very early the morning before we check into our Disney resort stay in a Disney SPrings resort and do our disney springs day then to start off our disney vacation and lunch was always at EOS dinner was always at Trex but this year we are going to try Blaze Pizza for lunch and HOmecoming for dinner.. mayeb a new tradition for us??

For some reason, we always end our trip with the Crystal Palace....
It’s become a family tradition since our first trip with kids. The first two were 4 & 2 and are now (just turned) 18 & 15 years old.

You always end your trip at MK? That is intersting in itself. I don’t think we have any kind of pattern with parks. I like them all equally. We always hop, and visit at least 2 per day.

We always have LTT for lunch on our first day, got to have the freedom pasta and ooey gooey toffee cake and pomegranate lemonade
We have to have Ohana for dinner during each trip
Have to get some Tonga Toast from Capt Cooks each trip
We always use snack credits for ham and cheese croissant (toasted) and a dessert for one of our Epcot lunches
We always have a meal at Pecos Bills
We always get the caramel [popcorn in Karmel Kuche
Traditionally we always drive down very early the morning before we check into our Disney resort stay in a Disney SPrings resort and do our disney springs day then to start off our disney vacation and lunch was always at EOS dinner was always at Trex but this year we are going to try Blaze Pizza for lunch and HOmecoming for dinner.. mayeb a new tradition for us??
And you always start at MK! That’s cool.
I could go back and look at all my spreadsheets over the years to see if I have a pattern. I’ve never really thought about that.

You always end your trip at MK? That is intersting in itself. I don’t think we have any kind of pattern with parks. I like them all equally. We always hop, and visit at least 2 per day.
We always end our trip at MK as well, for two reasons, it just seems right bc its so DISNEY and we normally stay on the monorail so it makes it easy so we can go back and pack and enjoy the resort some more and watch fireworks from the beach for the last time..

We always end our trip at MK as well, for two reasons, it just seems right bc its so DISNEY and we normally stay on the monorail so it makes it easy so we can go back and pack and enjoy the resort some more and watch fireworks from the beach for the last time..
We always start our trip at the MK, too...
We end it there for the same reasons as you & we start it there, because once I started at Epcot and had some really mean little boys asking repeatedly about Space Mountain...lol

My family goes to WDW every year at least once, and it has been fun to watch my kids grow up there. My children are now in their mid 20’s and they keep going back with me. We have developed some intersting dining habits over the past 20 years.

1. My DD25 and I always find a way to slip away from everyone else and eat at Marrakech. We love those mussels, mint tea and baklava sampler.
2. Because we almost always stay at Kidani, Jiko dining or visiting the bar a press pot of coffee and appetizers is a regular. This is my DS22 favorite experience. Sometimes it’s just the two of us.
3. The Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge in the last few years has become a regular stop for sliders and a cocktail. We have our favorite seats.
4. Olivia’s for breakfast to have Bloody Marys, omelettes, outside dining, and Jimmy Buffet music.
5. Columbia Harbor house for a fish basket and sit upstairs by the window. This is longest running tradition dating back to my childhood.
6. My daughter and I have been visiting all four parks in a single day to eat different favorites. We have done this about every other year, and plan on doing it again in June.

I very much enjoy your description at Columbia Harbor House.....but I'm not sure there is enough 'good' food for me to 4-Park-Hop for just food.

We have favorite restaurants, but seemingly odd traditions include (in no particular order):

1.) Mickey Bars for breakfast. Yes, the ears taste better.:earseek:

2.) Margarita's to-go from Tune-In Lounge - hand-crafted with premium tequila; rocks/salt, no straw necessary.:woohoo:

3.) Nachos at ESPN Zone - mostly when walking from Epcot back to Swan & Dolphin - washed down with iced cold beer (and I'm not a beer drinker). Shamefully, I have had these as a pre-appetizer before more than one Signature meal.:drinking1

4.) Either an over-stuffed pulled-pork hotdog at Casey's or a Chicken'n'Waffle at Sleepy Hollow. MK is the only Park where we look forward to QwikServe. FWIW, Casey's typically 'wins' because of the piano man, but Sleepy Hollow 'wins' when we've timed the stage show at the Castle just right.:wizard:

5.) Vivoli il Gelato at Disney Springs - for the best pistachio ever. ::yes::

6.) Champagne & pastries in Epcot's France.:cheer2:

I very much enjoy your description at Columbia Harbor House.....but I'm not sure there is enough 'good' food for me to 4-Park-Hop for just food.

We have favorite restaurants, but seemingly odd traditions include (in no particular order):

2.) Margarita's to-go from Tune-In Lounge - hand-crafted with premium tequila; rocks/salt, no straw necessary.:woohoo:

3.) Nachos at ESPN Zone - mostly when walking from Epcot back to Swan & Dolphin - washed down with iced cold beer (and I'm not a beer drinker). Shamefully, I have had these as a pre-appetizer before more than one Signature meal.:drinking1

4.) Either an over-stuffed pulled-pork hotdog at Casey's or a Chicken'n'Waffle at Sleepy Hollow. MK is the only Park where we look forward to QwikServe. FWIW, Casey's typically 'wins' because of the piano man, but Sleepy Hollow 'wins' when we've timed the stage show at the Castle just right.:wizard:

That’s good stuff there! I have never been to Sleepy Hollow. So strange for me because I’m always trying new things. I’ll fix that in June. I have stood at that window looking at the menu a dozen times or so. The line usually forces me away.

I will try the pistachio!

My daughter and I laughed out loud when we read the Nacho tradition.

The Four Park eating challenge usually has us starting at Rope drop in MK for coffee and a snack maybe at Gaston’s. Or Sleepy Hollow for a waffle (new plan based on comments above). Then mosey over to Epcot for drinks and a little dessert. Appetizers at spice road. Lots of choices. Ride the boat to DHS for Bloody marys at Tune-in and the duck confit sliders at HBD lounge. Then we will uber over th DAK for nomad lounge and Yak and Yeti bar for sticky wings. We might end up at boardwalk if DAK closes too early.

Uber makes it less stressful.

Dinner at Rose and Crown with a view of Illuminations and most recently we love Turf Club. We also always get the popcorn bucket :-) I also think a new upcoming tradition will be eating the cronut in EPCOT for every trip.

Ours is more of an anti-tradition. I read about Tonga Toast on these boards a long time ago and at least on three trips I've booked the Kona breakfast reservation and something has happened where we have to cancel it. Once it was an opening at CRT back when breakfast was the only time the characters were there and it opened like a week before the trip, others have been a kid getting a tummy bug the night before (sorry Mousekeeping) or grumbly teens not wanting to get up. In the past few trips I don't even bother to book it because the joke is once I get Tonga Toast I won't have a reason to go back.

So our dining experiences are pretty broad but we don't seem to get to Kona or even Captain Cookes for the dang toast.

I have a ressie there for March this year. I'll let you know if we make it.

For all 6 of my Annual Solo Trips:
Dinner at Via Napoli consisting of a pizza (Margherita or Quattro Formaggi), aqua fresca (tried blood orange once but usually strawberry) and tiramisu (except for one year I tried the zeppole). Love me some Via Napoli!
Lamb shawarma platter and iced mint tea from Tangierine Cafe. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

Things I discovered in more recent years that are becoming must-dos:
Lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby for a Cobb salad and the dessert trio.
And the awesome breakfast buffet at The Wave! I've had breakfast x 2, plus lunch and dinner there, and The Wave has become a real favorite for me!

Our family is similar to yours. We have gone once a year since 2001 when DS was 6-he's now 23. Our May trip is to celebrate his college graduation.

Dining is such a big part of our vacation and we definitely have traditions. I don't think they are odd-aside from the fact that we are doing character meals with no little ones lol.

1. The biggest tradition is that Chef Mickey is our arrival day dinner. I've always purchased the picture and looking back I can see how my son has grown up and how we have "matured". On trips that it's just myself and DH we usually skip CM, it's not the same without our son.
2. PPO breakfast at Crystal Palace on our MK day. The new opening procedure takes away any advantage it once had and we tried having a late breakfast there last trip. It just wasn't the same and we are going back to the PPO time.
3. Lunch at Biergarten. I grew up with a German Grandfather and we had regular dinners at my great aunt's house. I loved those dinners and Biergarten is just about as close as I can get to those meals. My family really enjoys the food and atmosphere.
4. Dessert for breakfast! Cupcakes at DHS and Strawberry Shortcake at Epcot-it's vacation and we're at Disney!
5. Ohana Dinner
6. Ohana breakfast on our last day. There have been times, like our upcoming trip, where we move this, but it's almost always on our last full day.

For all 6 of my Annual Solo Trips:
Dinner at Via Napoli consisting of a pizza (Margherita or Quattro Formaggi), aqua fresca (tried blood orange once but usually strawberry) and tiramisu (except for one year I tried the zeppole). Love me some Via Napoli!
Lamb shawarma platter and iced mint tea from Tangierine Cafe. Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

Things I discovered in more recent years that are becoming must-dos:
Lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby for a Cobb salad and the dessert trio.
And the awesome breakfast buffet at The Wave! I've had breakfast x 2, plus lunch and dinner there, and The Wave has become a real favorite for me!
That dessert trio is a fave of mine too.

I think the Wave Lounge is one of the most comfortable places to eat. The bar is huge.

Our family is similar to yours. We have gone once a year since 2001 when DS was 6-he's now 23. Our May trip is to celebrate his college graduation.

Dining is such a big part of our vacation and we definitely have traditions. I don't think they are odd-aside from the fact that we are doing character meals with no little ones lol.

1. The biggest tradition is that Chef Mickey is our arrival day dinner. I've always purchased the picture and looking back I can see how my son has grown up and how we have "matured". On trips that it's just myself and DH we usually skip CM, it's not the same without our son.
2. PPO breakfast at Crystal Palace on our MK day. The new opening procedure takes away any advantage it once had and we tried having a late breakfast there last trip. It just wasn't the same and we are going back to the PPO time.
3. Lunch at Biergarten. I grew up with a German Grandfather and we had regular dinners at my great aunt's house. I loved those dinners and Biergarten is just about as close as I can get to those meals. My family really enjoys the food and atmosphere.
4. Dessert for breakfast! Cupcakes at DHS and Strawberry Shortcake at Epcot-it's vacation and we're at Disney!
5. Ohana Dinner
6. Ohana breakfast on our last day. There have been times, like our upcoming trip, where we move this, but it's almost always on our last full day.

Still doing the character dining. That’s fun. I still like to sneak into Tusker House as early as I can. Those characters are very good.

Where do you get strawberry shortcake? Sunshine Seasons?

Our newest tradition is to get the Spikey Pineapple from the Polynesian at least once. If not, we settle for anywhere that has dole whip and rum.

We have been going with our kids since 1989. Our son is now 33 and our daughter is 30, both live away, but still go with us on some trips along with their significant other. The six of us will be there in May. We always start at MK And our last night is always at Epcot. We always have ice cream at Beaches and Cream(although it is getting harder to get in darn reservations), hot dogs at Casey's, and lunch on the patio at Old Key West.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!