Dining tips for vegetarian tween

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
I'm traveling with my 11 year old. We are both vegetarians. We will have standard half-board with our hotel reservation (breakfast + hotel buffets and couple park options) but are planning to eat a several table service restaurants anyway (we'll either pay the difference or we could upgrade if that makes more sense).

My daughter has never been happy with the options on the typical US kids menus (there are worse problems). Obviously all the hot-dogs, burgers, and chicken nuggets are out, but she also does not like mac'n'cheese, pizza, etc. (basically cheese) and pasta with red sauce gets old quick.

We've always done quite well ordering her sides of vegetables and appetizers + sharing parts of entrees off the adult menu. So my question is basically this: can we do something like that at these DLP table restaurants? I'd been assuming no based on all the fixed menus I was seeing, but someone just posted a Captain Jacks menu that looked like it was priced a la carte.

We have 4 days of tickets (including our red-eye flight arrival day) and have the following reservations:
  • Restaurant Agrabah Café (4pm, not sure if that's a lunch or an early dinner)
  • Auberge de Cendrillon (lunch)
  • Bistrot Chez Rémy (lunch)
  • Captain Jack's - Restaurant des Pirates (dinner)
Looking at a lot of the kids fixed menus, the kids vegetarian option at all three table service restaurants is . . . drumroll please . . . pasta with red sauce (with some slight variations).

We picked all of these for the experience of it but we do have to eat. Should we drop any of these? Is the experience at either Chez Remy or Captain Jack's actually worth the price?

I figure the rest of the time we cobble together snacks + whatever breakfast comes with half board. When we visit U.S. parks, we typically eat breakfast in our rooms then carry in a lot of food - vegetarian proteins and fruits/vegetables - and snack and then eat one sit down meal each day. I won't have a mini-fridge (right?) so we'll be a bit more limited in this regard, but still may pack in some protein bars and fresh fruit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Indeed no fridge in the rooms. And to me most of the table service restaurants at DLP are extremely over priced, so I generally stick to counter service. That said, the restaurants you chose get good reviews on ambiance, if that's what you are going for, you should be fine.

You might have to pay extra for the sides, but best to check with your waiter.

Had a priorities conversation with DD and addressed the problem of her being offered pasta with red sauce three days in a row. Turns out eating in a restaraunt with giant salt shakers is more important than eating with princesses, so we are dropping Auberge de Cendrillon. Open to suggestions for alternative choice from the standard board buffet options.

FWIW we decided if we weren’t paying for a character meal, we’d spring for the 11 yo to eat off the adult menu at Remy’s. She liked those veg options. Since we’ll order a la carte at Captain Jack’s, we actually eliminated the pasta with red sauce meals completely.

Re Captain Jack’s: I’d love feedback on the fun factor there since I’m sure we could get a better meal elsewhere (We are spending several days in Paris right after DLP and live in a major city with lots of ethnic cuisine options, so food at DLP is not a priority.)

I'm veggie and visit regularly, so the first thing I'll say is - glad you're going to Agrabah! It's by far the best veggie selection in the parks.
I'd agree with olafLover that the Captain Jacks experience isn't THAT special - if you're paying a la carte prices there I'd recommend going to Inventions instead (inside the Disneyland Hotel) for a really special character meal. it's buffet and there are plenty of veggie options, although lots of meat and fish too.
The adult veggie options at Captain Jacks though are pretty good in terms of food quality.
The other budget option that I found good last visit was the Tex Mex buffet in the village, inside Billy Bobs. And weirdly the Steakhouse in the Village has 3 decent veggie options.

The best Veggie meal I had was at Vapianos, located in the Village. Really rate it in there. Another tip, pop on the RER train to Val D’Europe 1 stop, about 2 minutes. The shopping centre has a huge supermarket where I go and buy snacks and drinks as it is soookil much cheaper then in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts