Dining reviews 10/3 - 10/8

kristielee

Mouseketeer
Hi Gang,

Took a quick weekend, no kids getaway with DH and another couple. Here's the reviews of our trip.

Friday 10/3: Arrived early afternoon, had PS for the ROSE AND CROWN. Now this has always been a favorite, but I was a little disappointed this time. The food was OK. We all had fish and chips (no longer served in newspaper), service was OK, nothing extraordinary. Fish was well battered, not greasy. Chips were like regular fries. Overall, it's been better. C+

Dinner that night was at KIMONOS. Lots of assorted sushi, teriaki, and a sea bass appetizer that was superb!!! I had a Tokyo Rose, others shared a couple of bottles of Forest Glen Merlot. Be advised, we never checked the price of the wine. BIG MISTAKE! Forest Glen is a $7 bottle here at home. KIMONOS charged $36 a bottle! OUCH. Nevertheless, the food, service, and of course the entertainment was A+ all the way.

Saturday 10/4: Breakfast was at the Boardwalk Bakery. Good baked goods, a little steep in price, but fresh and fun to sit out on the Boardwalk in the morning.

Dinner Sat night was at EMERIL'S on City Walk. Now this was probably one of, if not the best meal I've ever had. And the service was impeccable. DH and my friends Hubby had the rack of lamb. I wished I'd gotten it after one bite. The best lamb, I've ever had. Hands down. My friend had Mississippi farm raised quail over Southern fried greens. I guess she liked it, because she sucked every last inkling of meat off the bones! I couldn't decide what to get, so I had two appetizers, the andouille sausage (has a kick) and crab cheesecake (sinful). We all had Salads and soup (crab bisque). Dessert was banana cream pie for the guys, DF had hazelnut torte, and I had Bourbon soaked bread pudding. It was fabulous. Great coffee (always makes a meal).

Now here's our only complaint to Emeril's. IMHO, the atmosphere was not our cup of tea. First after what seemed like a three mile walk to get there, it's smack dab in the middle of city walk. Noise, Neon, and crowds is just not for us old f***s. The restaurant itself, is cafeteria style noisy. It's flashy, kinda like Emeril himself. Fun to go to, great food, exceptional service, atmosphere was just not for us. A

Sunday 10/5 did the day at Discovery Cove. Lunch choises were decent, nothing spectacular.

Dinner was at 'OHANA that night. Remains one of my favorite places to eat. Food was great, served very promptly, minimal wait to be seated. Bring your appetite! Now, ironically our friends, who are childless, were not overwhelmed by 'Ohana. They aren't into such a family friendly atmosphere I guess. Didn' t phase DH and I. We were just happy to have a meal without someone sitting in our lap, or having food thrown at us ;) . A

Monday 10/6 We did the KTTK tour. Lunch was included and served at the Columbia Harbor House. Very good. DH had the veggie Sandwich, I had Chix salad with pineapple. Quite yummy. B

Monday night, just DH and I went to SHULA'S. There's a lot of testosterone floating around in this place! Portions are enormous. We really should have ordered one entree and split it. We shamefully wasted so much food. The atmosphere is quiet, adult, it's a bit dark, but overall a fantastic dining experience. Started with wine for me, Absolut and tonic for DH. Extensive wine list. We started with the BBQ shrimp wrapped in bacon as an appetizer, each had a cesear salad. I had the petite filet (12 oz, smallest item on menu) and DH had the 22oz NY strip. He had the smothered baked potato, I had creamed spinach. You could have cut my steak with a fork. No knives needed. It was done to perfection. Everything was spectacular.
This was DH's favorite restaurant. It would be tough to beat. No room for dessert, but we both had coffee (excellent!). A+ all the way!

Tuesday we did lunch at the SCI-FI DINE IN THEATER. I love this place. It's campy, fun, and just a neat place to break up the day at the Studios. We each had a Burger and fries. It was very good, fresh bun, a couple of Cokes. A solid B+.

That night it poured, we didn't feel like leaving the hotel (the Swan) so we went over to Tubbi's buffeteria. We were still pretty full from lunch. Three of us had the chicken dinner, DF had meatloaf. It's a cafeteria... nothing special. OK for a quick bite. I wouldn't go back. C

Any questions, and I'll be happy to do my best to answer

:earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Thanks so much for the reviews.

I know what you mean about Emerils. We have never tried it because of the location, I don't like that people can look in the windows while your eating:eek: SO on our upcoming trip we are trying Tchoup Chop, I just hope the food is as good.

Thanx for the wonderful reviews. We have a ps for Shula's later this month. Your review has really gotten me so excited about trying this restaurant.

Enjoyed your reviews. We've never tried Shula's but it sounds like you had a wonderful dinner there.

Shula's is at either the Swan or Dolphin, Sawyermaw....can't remember which!:confused:

Thanks for the reviews.
I guess Shula's large portions are part of the attraction of the restaurant. But it is a shame to waste all that food, as you suggest. When Mrs U saw the size of her steak, she was almost intimidated!! For her (and I suspect many others) a "petite" filet would be more than enough.
Wonder why they don't offer one??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter