Dining Review - 8/13/19 - 8/27/19

PrincessTracie

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We just got back from our long, two week stay at Disney World!!! It was hot, humid and more crowded then I thought it would be! While in the planning stages of our trip, I enjoyed reading the dining reviews of the restaurants I had ADR's for so I thought I would write up a dining review of our trip. I didn't take many food photos as I didn't think about it until after I ate it (oops) and also you could just Google a picture of the food as it all looks the same.. so I am not going to upload any photos on this review (I know, I probably lost some readers right here). But I am just here to give a brief recap of the food we ate and our experiences at the restaurants we ate at. Follow along if you'd like! :)

Cast:
Me - 36, mom of 2 boys and Disney fanatic/obsessive planner
DS - 5 years old. Not afraid of anything and also our adventurous eater
DS2 - 8 years old. Hates scary rides and very picky eater
Nephew - 20, always on phone playing games, not into this trip at all
Dad - 71, disabled (uses ECV)/hates surprises and when things don't go as planned
Mom - 71, Disney lover/goes with the flow

What/Where/When:
14 nights at POP Century. 2 rooms. Deluxe Dining plan for one room and sharing the credits. 8/13/19 - 8/27/19. We never had any issues at any of the restaurants when it came to sharing credits. We paid OOP for the kids and used the credits for the adults. Nobody said a word.. which was a big relief as I was worried about that!
9 day PH+ & 2 day/2 park Universal ticket

8/13 - Arrival day
We had a long travel day coming from Seattle so I didn't have any ADR's booked for today. We arrived at POP around 8:30pm. We were tired, hungry and cranky so we decided to go to the food court and get a quick bite to eat. We ordered a large pizza to share (paid OOP) between me and the 3 boys. My parents got the turkey sandwich and a cup of the tomato basil soup. Pizza was surprisingly good. But that sandwich was amazing! (roasted turkey, mozzarella, roasted red peppers, basil aioli, lettuce and balsamic vinaigrette) The soup was good too! Got to bed around midnight.. 3 hour time zone change was hard to get used to.

8/14 - POP Food Court & Biergarten
Breakfast was at the food court. I had the chocolate chip pancakes, DS2 had the mickey waffles, DS1 had donut holes, mom and dad had a couple pastries. Nothing too exciting here. It was all kind of meh. We had a mickey pretzel at the MK. Then had dinner ADR's at Biergarten in Epcot. This restaurant was new to us so we weren't quite sure what to expect. I also forgot to tell my dad that we have to share a table with other people... he wasn't too thrilled about that part.. and almost caused a scene (I should mention that my parents are not afraid to voice their opinions.. much to my embarrassment). He eventually got over it and sat down and we all got our food from the buffet. Honestly.. I wasn't too impressed with the food here. I guess I am not much of a German food lover. I did like the pork and the spaetzle though. The desserts on the other hand were delightful and we enjoyed the entertainment. Probably not a restaurant I would visit again.

8/15 - Crystal Palace
Breakfast consisted of snack credits at the POP food court (this ended up being what we usually did each morning as the boys liked the doughnuts). We had a 3:45 ADR for Crystal Palace. This was one of our favorite meals. My 8yo DS kept asking if we could go back. The food was really good for a buffet! They had prime rib which was tasty, peel and eat shrimp and other normal buffet fare. The boys LOVED the characters (ok, I did too! LOL). They came around to our table twice while we were there and loved on us each time! We would definitely go back to this restaurant again!

8/16 - Sleepy Hollow/Gaston's/Yak & Yeti
We skipped breakfast at the resort and opted to eat at the MK instead. I had the Nutella and fresh fruit waffle from Sleepy Hollow. It was AMAZING! I loved it so much!!! It was not on the DDP though so I had to pay OOP.. but it was worth every penny! My parents and the boys shared 2 cinnamon rolls from Gaston's. They were big and I had a couple bites but it was a little bit too dry for my liking.

We had ADR's at Yak & Yeti at 3:30. I was super excited about this one. For appetizers we got the pot stickers, wok-fried green beans and firecracker shrimp. These were all really good. I really liked the dipping sauces. For our entrees I got the Crispy Honey Chicken - this was not my favorite. It was lacking flavor for me. Probably wouldn't order this again. My dad got an entree from the seasonal menu.. I can't remember what it was called but it was flat iron steak. He LOVED this. I had a bite and it was really good! I was sad that I didn't order this myself. My mom got the Lobster Garlic Noodles. She thought this was pretty good. It definitely was flavorful! My nephew got the Kobe Beef Burger. I think he liked it.. he left to go back to the resort after eating so I didn't hear his thoughts on it. My boys got something off the kids menu and barely ate it which seemed to be a trend during the trip. :headache: For dessert we ordered the New York Cheesecake and the Chocolate pudding cake which we all shared. These were really good! Overall we had a good meal.. I wished my entree tasted better but I enjoyed everything else!

8/17 - Trattoria al Forno
We had a late breakfast ADR at 11:55 for the Bon Voyage breakfast! This was a special request from my 8yo as he LOVES Tangled and The Little Mermaid. This was also our relax, water park day so we got to sleep in which was nice!! The food was nothing to write home about unfortunately. Me and my mom both got the Tangled Eggs which were ok. My dad got the Royale Breakfast. He said the steak was pretty tough but was ok. My boys both got the children's grilled steak... which surprisingly they both ate a good amount of it! The character interaction was ok here. My boys weren't really into the princesses so it was just a quick picture with both and they moved on. Rapunzel was far more interactive then Ariel though. Flynn Ryder however was AMAZING with my boys! He spent a good amount of time with them and was really funny! Prince Eric on the other hand barely said two words to them, a quick picture and was gone. I don't think I would return here if I had to pay OOP.. the food was only so-so for $34/adult $20/kids.

8/18 - Norway Bakery & Narcoosee's
For breakfast we had treats at the Norway bakery, Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe. It was also my mom's birthday so she was wearing her birthday button. My parents got the School Bread and a Salted Pecan Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie. They were super nice here and said they were on the house for her birthday! They also sang happy birthday to her in Norwegian! I got the troll horn and a sweet pretzel with chocolate that I shared with my boys. My youngest wasn't liking anything so my dad took him back to find something he would like and they gave him the 4 pack of Frozen mini-cupcakes for free!! I was so amazed at how nice they were here! Definitely some pixie dust was given!!!
My mom requested Narcoosee's for her birthday dinner and it was AMAZING! We have eaten here before and it was as good as it was last time! For appetizers we got the chilled shrimp and crab cake. These were only so-so.. I've had better at other seafood restaurants. For entree's I ordered the Filet Mignon.. omg.. so good! One of the best filet's I've had! My mom and dad both got the whole Maine lobster. They were in heaven! For dessert both my mom and me got the Almond Crusted Cheesecake which was SOOOOOOO good!! And my dad got the bread pudding which he loved as well. They also sang happy birthday to my mom as well here and decorated her plate. Definitely a must do on our next trip!

Stay tuned for more!!! Ohana, Be Our Guest, Chefs de France, Skipper Canteen and more!

8/19 - Satu'li Canteen/Ohana
Breakfast consisted of snack credits at POP. We had an early lunch at Satu'li Canteen as we didn't have a big breakfast. I was really excited to eat here as I heard a lot of good things about this place. I got the combination bowl with the rice & beans base and the creamy herb dressing. I thought it was ok.. but a little on the salty side. My parents got the Shrimp & noodle bowl with black bean vinaigrette. They thought it was also salty. Overall we weren't all that impressed with our food here.. which was sad as I looked forward to this place.

We made our way to Ohana for our 5:20 ADR. This was by far the HARDEST ADR to obtain! I actually got it from the DIS board for cancelled ADR's and arranged a time with someone so I could snag it. So my expectations for this place were SUPER high! Boy was I let down! My mom loved the bread, but I hate coconut so that was a no for me. The noodles were ok.. but nothing special IMO and the pot stickers and sticky wings were a little bland.. by this point I was getting full (I think the extreme heat & humidity was taking its toll on me and my appetite was just not there). The steak came first and I just wasn't liking the flavor of it.. I think I took a couple bites of it. The temp was perfect though (I heard reviews of people saying it was too well done, but ours was perfect Med/Med Rare). When the chicken came I had just a bite of it. Honestly, I couldn't understand why this place is so popular.. but I am glad I was able to cross it off my Disney bucket list. The bread pudding though.. now that was amazing!

8/20 - Be Our Guest/Chefs de France
We had a late breakfast ADR for Be Our Guest at 10:25. We had pre-ordered online so they put us in a different line and it wasn't moving at all. The host actually told us we could move to the other line as it seemed to be moving quicker.. which it certainly did! We found a table in the main ballroom.. but unfortunately not next to the windows which I had hoped for. I heard a lot of negative reviews about the food here but I thought it was actually pretty good.. at least for breakfast. Now, if we didn't have the dining plan there is no way I would pay $28 for what we got, but I really enjoyed my meal! Me and my mom shared the Croque Madame, my dad got the Open Faced Bacon & Egg Sandwich which he liked too and my nephew got the Feast a la Gaston. Now that one looked exactly like something you would get at the POP food court for $8.. definitely not $28 worth at all! My boys just ate the pastries as they don't like big breakfasts.

For dinner we had an ADR for 6:50 at Chefs de France. This place had mixed reviews for us. For appetizers my dad and I both got the lobster bisque and my mom got the french onion soup. We all really enjoyed our soup a lot! There was a fair amount of lobster in the bisque and my mom said her soup was really good. For our entrees I got the beef tenderloin. I asked for the green peppercorn sauce on the side, but they never even put it on the plate so I have no idea if that would have changed my opinion of the dish. I thought my beef was not very tender and had a lot of gristly pieces. The green beans and potatoes au gratin were lacking seasoning too. I would probably not order this again if we returned. My dad got the flat iron steak. He really liked this but said it didn't compare to the flat iron he got at Yak & Yeti. My mom got the seafood dish (seared monkfish, shrimp, cod fish, rice pilaf with saffron peas, tomato beurre blanc).. she wasn't overly impressed with it either but she said it wasn't terrible. For dessert I got the creme brulee, which was amazing! My dad got the chocolate layer cake which was really good and my mom got the meringue basket. We all REALLY enjoyed that dessert. Overall, the dessert and appetizers were the stars of this dinner.

8/21 - Leaky Cauldron (Universal Studios)
We took a break from the Disney bubble for two days and visited Universal. We had snack credits for breakfast at POP and then for lunch we ate at the Leaky Cauldron. We got Butterbeers before we went there and definitely the frozen one is SO much better then the regular butterbeer. For lunch I ordered the fish and chips and shared it with my 5yo. He loves fish, which is surprising to me as his brother hates it. I really enjoyed it, as did my DS. My parents shared the bangers and mash which they enjoyed as well.

For dinner I'm pretty sure we ate at the food court at POP.. I think my mom and me shared the turkey sandwich again. And again.. it was delightful!

8/22 - Circus McGurkus Cafe
We went to Islands of Adventure this day. For lunch we ate the Circus McGurkus Cafe. My mom and I shared the chicken caesar salad.. nothing special.. my dad had fried chicken and the boys got pizza. Overall.. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.. we were just hungry and it was convenient and no lines.

For dinner my mom, my 8yo and myself walked over to AOA to see what they had in their food court. My mom and I shared the Asian chicken bowl. We both thought it was ok.. but was lacking flavor or salt. We got a cupcake to bring back and much to my dismay it tasted of coconut.. 🤮🤢

Stay tuned for the final installment.. Skipper Canteen, The Wave, Ale & Compass, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Tusker House & Teppan Edo!!

Looks like you got a lot of value with doing the dining plan the way you did! Good planning!
Following along!

Great reports - I am fond of the reports that just give us the facts, LOL, and not tons and tons of pictures. So don't think you've lost readers - there are many of us that like these type!!

I will wait for the Ale & Compass report. Thinking about doing a breakfast here, but even if you went for dinner, it will help to see how the food is then.

Thanks! :flower1:

Great reports - I am fond of the reports that just give us the facts, LOL, and not tons and tons of pictures. So don't think you've lost readers - there are many of us that like these type!!

I will wait for the Ale & Compass report. Thinking about doing a breakfast here, but even if you went for dinner, it will help to see how the food is then.

Thanks! :flower1:

I just read a review that another site put out on Ale & Compass breakfast. It is intriguing me. For about $24 you get access to the buffet (which is not a big as other places) but you also get to order one of their entrees to go with it. It sounded really good and I liked that unique aspect about ordering an entree with a smaller buffet.

I just read a review that another site put out on Ale & Compass breakfast. It is intriguing me. For about $24 you get access to the buffet (which is not a big as other places) but you also get to order one of their entrees to go with it. It sounded really good and I liked that unique aspect about ordering an entree with a smaller buffet.

I was looking at it as an option for the Candlelight Procession package. It was a reasonable price, and we are staying at Boardwalk, so convenient. And it has a PRESSED POT of coffee - love it!! CP package offers another breakfast at Trattoria el Forno, but it is more money and involves characters - LOL. Just me and hubby so no need for characters.

Hopefully I can get this finished today.. I only have a computer at work and its much easier to type on a keyboard then on my phone or iPad.. so I have to type this out on my breaks. :headache:

8/23 - Skipper Canteen
We had a 2:30 lunch ADR at Skipper Canteen. I was a little apprehensive about this place as it was a little adventurous for our group but I was optimistic. For apps we ordered 2 orders of the SEA Shu Mai and my mom got the Jungle Green Salad. I really enjoyed the Shu Mai! The dipping sauce was fantastic. My mom liked her salad, however I had a bite and did not care for the dressing.. so just depends on your tastebuds I guess. For our entrees I ordered the Hardy Har Char Siu Pork. I was pretty disappointed with this entree. It just did not taste good to me. There was a lot of fat on the pork as well and the non-fatty parts were too dry and charred from the grill. Not something I would order again. My dad got the grilled steak. He thought it was really good and the steak was tender.. I was really wishing I ordered this instead of the pork. :sad1: My mom ordered the Seafood Stew. I think she liked it.. I don't recall her saying she hated it or anything.. but it must not have been very memorable. For dessert I ordered the Kungaloosh (without the coffee dust as I HATE coffee), my dad got the Quick Sand and my mom got the Coconut Bar. I really liked the Kungaloosh, however the chocolate cake was very dense and heavy. My mom thought her dessert was ok.. nothing special and I didn't try it because Coconut.. 🤮 I am not a fan of rice pudding, so I didn't try the Quick Sand dessert but my dad enjoyed it. Overall, I wasn't overly impressed with this restaurant. I had higher hopes from the reviews I read but it was all terrible. I really wished I ordered a different entree though.

8/24 - The Wave & Ale & Compass
For breakfast we had ADR's for The Wave at 9:30. This was our 2nd non-park day and we took full advantage of sleeping in and relaxing all day. We took the bus to the MK and hopped on a monorail to the Contemporary. We contemplated walking there but we were all too lazy and it was already too hot outside. We all got the buffet and I we were all pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the food! The sweet potato pancakes were delicious as were the mickey waffles. I had a serving of the Eggs Benedict and now I wonder why I don't have those more often! The pastries were wonderful as well. My boys didn't want to order anything (they aren't breakfast eaters) so they let us order a couple side items for them (strawberry yogurt and fruit) and the waitress told us if they wanted a couple things from the buffet from our plate that was fine too, with no extra charge. We would definitely come back here for breakfast! I really wish I had made ADR's for dinner here. I've heard wonderful things about dinner.. I guess there is always next time! ;)

We relaxed at our hotel for the rest of the afternoon and then hopped on a bus to Hollywood Studios. We walked to the boat launch and made our way over to the Beach & Yacht Club for our 6:45 ADR at Ale & Compass. I really liked the choices on the menu here. For apps I got the Parker House Rolls. The pub cheese spread was the best out of the three. I didn't care much for the citrus butter or bacon jam and the sea salt on top of the rolls was a little much.. but I didn't mind it too bad. My dad got the Roasted Garlic Shrimp and those were tasty!! My mom got the Lobster & Corn Chowder and we all had some of it and really enjoyed it. Lots of lobster in it too! For entrees I ordered the Coastal Clambake. I love seafood and was not disappointed. I don't care much for chorizo sausage, so that was left untouched.. but everything else I ate all of! My parents both ordered the New England Seafood Pot Pie. They weren't too impressed with this choice and they didn't eat all of it. I didn't try it but it didn't look like something I would order either. For dessert I ordered the Twelve-Layer Chocolate Cake. I didn't realize the cream on top had coffee in it until after I tasted it.. ughh.. but I just took a spoon and removed it from the cake and ate the rest, with the help of my 5yo. LOL! It was delicious! My mom got the Lemon Curd Meringue Pie. This was amazing! I wish I could go back and get another one right now! My dad got the Warm Apple Cobbler. I didn't try that one, but he said it was really good as well. Overall, this was one of my better meals of the trip.. however not so much for my parents. On a side note, there was a table next to us that was being really loud and using A LOT of profanity. My parents are on the super conservative side and it really bothered them so my dad mentioned something to the waitress about them and shortly after a manager came to our table and apologized. He spoke to the other table and then came back and gave us all fastpasses for the next day at Hollywood Studios, which was really nice of him as we weren't expecting or asking for anything in return.

Tomorrow I will have to finish up my review with Whispering Canyon, Tusker House and Teppan Edo as I have run out of time for today. Glad to see people are enjoying my non-picture dining review! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter