Dining plan worth the value?!?!?!?!

Elsaalltheway

DIS Veteran
I have done the dining plan, and it was worth the value, it's when it was free. But to pay out of pocket is it really worth the value? I know for some it is worth it because the peace of mind of having their meals and snacks already paid for, but with the new price increases and the amount of places that are now charging two credits a meal. Is it really worth it for the options that are there from all the buffetts, because lets face it, that is the only way you come close to really making it worth your money.

example, just averages. A buffett is an average of 45 on off season, and then a quick service is around 12 on average. Then you have your two snack credits at an average of 6 a piece, because if its less hen that

So that is around 69 and then you get to pay tax on top of that. So does that sound like a sound value. But you pay 75.49.

I only ask because they just updated BOG and that was a VERY popular dinner for the food plan, but they just upped it to two credits. This is why I ask.

Is the BOG due to the price fix menu that is starting in july?
I think the Dining Plan is worth the price. I have a november trip planned and with the package increase it only went up 180, for a friday to friday, moderate preffered room, hopper, memory maker, regular dining. and that is 4 adults 3 year old and an infant. Witht the meal plan you will be forced to eat outside of your comfort(price) zone to get your moneys worth. Why have a hamburger when you can get steak. Just have to do the research to find the higher priced items, and make sure you make your reservations.

Is the BOG due to the price fix menu that is starting in july?
I think the Dining Plan is worth the price. I have a november trip planned and with the package increase it only went up 180, for a friday to friday, moderate preffered room, hopper, memory maker, regular dining. and that is 4 adults 3 year old and an infant. Witht the meal plan you will be forced to eat outside of your comfort(price) zone to get your moneys worth. Why have a hamburger when you can get steak. Just have to do the research to find the higher priced items, and make sure you make your reservations.
Don’t forget the gratuity isn’t included and is automatically added to DDP and will be calculated on the cash value of your order. DDP isn’t designed to save money, is about the convenience of having all paid off beforehand.

We are doing a split stay at different resorts with the DxDP for a few of those resort stays. We are planning on splitting meals but ordering more off three been and paying cash to extended the credits. As we are not going to the parks, we will have more time to go to different ADRs that we normally would've skipped. I just like the convenience to have it all paid for.

I was thinking of tryng it but maybe when doing a split stay. I have done the quick service but I would like to try a regular one.

It can be. It isn't always. You have to do the math on where you want to eat and what you're likely to order to decide for yourself, because it really all comes down to personal preferences.

For example... You could have the clambake at Ale & Compass ($40) with dessert ($8) and a cocktail ($10), and get almost $62 out of your TS credit. Or you could have the Reuben ($15), a sundae ($7) and a Coke ($3) at The Plaza and only get $26 out of it. Likewise, with your QS credit you could have the $15 shawarma platter and $7 sangria at Tangerine Cafe or you could have the $8 salad and $3 Coke at Pinocchio's. Those choices make all the difference on whether the plan will save you or cost you, so the answer ends up being very specific to your own trip plans.

Last edited:
I would never pay for the dining plan because it's just way more food than I need (or really want) to eat. I do go for free dining, though, and end up dreading meals by the end of the trip because I'm too stuffed. Free dining has generally worked out to be a better discount than the room only for us when we've done the math.

If you're ordering daily dinner buffets, alcoholic beverages, and trying to maximize counter service and snack credits, it could be financially worth it. but the question is, do you like to eat this way? or do you want to eat this way every day? if yes, then go for it!
Agreed . I do a spreadsheet of the most likely things order, not the most expensive
entree, then add it up. We aren't big dessert people and tend to do some TS at lunch. The number haven't added up for us.Even on the one trip when we had with free DDP we would not have come out ahead if we paid for DDP.

It ended up not being worth it for our family of four adults. We always felt compelled to order the most expensive items on the menu, and would disregard eating at places we liked such as the Plaza and Beaches & Cream, simply because I felt we were wasting a credit as they didn't "cost enough." Add to that, none of us would order alcohol, the DDP doesn't include the tip, and we always had to scramble to use up snack credits at the end of our trip.

Dining Plan was worth it for us when our kids were under 10. Now that our oldest daughter is 10 but still eats kids’ meals, the dining plan is not worth it for us. It’s nice to have the convenience but I cannot justify paying $75/day for her to eat when she pretty much eats cheeseburgers and chicken strips.

Worth it is subjective. The only way to know is look at menus, be honest about what you would eat and do the math. For us, no it's not worth it. We don't always eat TS or QS every day and when we do eat TS I'm more often apt to eat a salad and an appetizer and maybe share a dessert with my son. If I eat QS I eat a kid's meal because the adult meals are too big for me. By the way, even free dining isn't worth it for us. I'm always able to get a room discount and with free dining you pay rack rate.

Don’t forget the gratuity isn’t included and is automatically added to DDP and will be calculated on the cash value of your order. DDP isn’t designed to save money, is about the convenience of having all paid off beforehand.
The gratuity is not automatically added to the dining plan. An automatically added gratuity only applies to parties of 6 or more and has nothing to do with paying with the dining plan. It is applied to parties paying OOP as well.

The only way to know if the plan is worth it finanacially for your family is to do the math. I book a plan for our family because I know my crew. I know where we tend to dine, what they will order, and about how much in snacks they will buy. Now with the beverages added, the general concensis is that "Mom will drink the wine!" I know we will be okay in terms of value. But your family? I think that the best way to know is to plan your ADR's and look at what is on the menus, think about what your crew will order given free reign, and then add it up. Include the tax when you do this. I know folks always warn about tips, but I always remind people to remember the tax. YOu are not paying tax on your food when you are on a dining plan, it was already paid in the cost of the plan, so your bottom line with a plan is your bottom line. Without you add the tax to get that.

Years ago when we first started using the Dining Plan, it included an appetizer and gratuity. Le Cellier was one TS credit, and the overall food quality and variety at TS restaurants was much better. Those were the days!

I will just quote what I always say about Dining Plan:

"Yes the Dining Plan is subtly designed for you to get the most planning out of your Character Meals! :)" There is adjusted value now that BoG is now a 2 credit TS.

"Yep, Dining Plan is much more designed for families who are trying to get ALL the Character Meals they can. If you've eaten at enough places and eventually have some favorites and a pattern, the Dining Plan will lose its value to your family, as well as when your kids become Disney Adults. :( "

"I have a simple batch of questions I ask to determine if the plan will save you money, or just be more convenient...

1) Are you trying to get at least 1-2 Character Meals a day out of your trip?
2) Do you have at least ONE child guest that will want to eat off the adult menu? And do you have an adult guest that may want to order from the kids' menu?
3) Do you have party members who will just not survive without massive quantities of food?

The #1 question is really the most important one. Near as I can tell, Disney's restaurants/credits and the Dining Plan system are supposed to work in conjunction to provide Guests with more themed experiences. If you don't care about Character Meals, and you order breakfast food for your hotel room and you eat Snacks and Quick Service only, yeah please do not try to "save money" by using the Dining Plan. If you're eating appetizer-sized portions at Table Service, and you cannot or do not want to bag up the rest in take-away boxes and nibble on it for the next three hours, don't do Dining Plan. Assuredly, if the situation for your family LOOKS complicated in conjunction with the Dining Plan, really, don't get it! Just manage yourself on giftcards or the room account, or OOP."

Just came back from our trip that was an experiment on whether the dining plan was worth the money for us - we saved over $900 on our family of 5 by NOT doing the dining plan - ate at a sit down meal everyday, had snacks as we wanted, didn't feel like we were leaving any meals hungry or skimping in any way. Was happy to see how much we saved by paying OOP. We didn't do any character meals, our kids are older and weren't interested in that, so that helped, but we did enjoy many restaurants on our trip that we usually have done when we got the dining plan for free.

Just came back from our trip that was an experiment on whether the dining plan was worth the money for us - we saved over $900 on our family of 5 by NOT doing the dining plan - ate at a sit down meal everyday, had snacks as we wanted, didn't feel like we were leaving any meals hungry or skimping in any way. Was happy to see how much we saved by paying OOP. We didn't do any character meals, our kids are older and weren't interested in that, so that helped, but we did enjoy many restaurants on our trip that we usually have done when we got the dining plan for free.
Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter