Dining Plan w/special needs child

mamalovesdis

Earning My Ears
So here's my dilemma. My youngest daughter with special needs (age 7) will not eat off the dining plan. I will have to bring along pureed food for her to eat at every meal. Disney already told me several times that it's all or nothing on the dining plan. If our family of 5 gets the dining plan anyway (3 of us 10+; 2 under 10) how can we use her extra credits? Will they only be good on kids menu items? And is it okay to share them?

This may not end up being the best value for us. I haven't priced out where we want to dine, but we would like to do some TS and character dining. It may work to have her extra credits for those type of meals.

On the deluxe plan or the quick service plan, anyone can use rather credits. On the regular plan, the table service credits will only be valid for kids meals.

Just a warning as well, you may get charged for your 7 year old at character meals that are buffets and family style meals. Those tend to operate on an admission style basis so you get charged if you are there and not so much if you eat or not. Regular table service where you order from a menu will be fine, but character meals may be an issue.

Just a warning as well, you may get charged for your 7 year old at character meals that are buffets and family style meals. Those tend to operate on an admission style basis so you get charged if you are there and not so much if you eat or not. Regular table service where you order from a menu will be fine, but character meals may be an issue.

That's an even bigger bummer. So $25 for no food.

That's an even bigger bummer. So $25 for no food.

Yes because Disney’s perspective is that you’re paying for the experience and not the food. I have a similar issue with one of my kids and we make out better financially if we don’t use the dining plan.

Yes, more than likely, she will be charged at character meals. Standard Disney policy that no one gets character interaction at meals without paying for it.

You can use both her QS and TS (the ones not used at character meals) credits to purchase adult QS meals.

We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan with my family of 5 and my daughter is on TPN and does not eat by mouth at all. I was able to buy a plan for only four of us after we explained her condition and they made an exception. We were never charged for my daughter for any of our meals, and we had a lot of character meals. Perhaps because she has cerebral palsy and is non verbal...not sure why they always made an exception but in every restaurant we were treated respectfully and kindly. A very positive experience for us! This was December 2017.

I’m glad you were able to secure an exception. First I’ve ever heard of one being granted

OP, you can use her snacks and qs meals for adult meals. The ts meal credit can be dumbed down for a qs meal or 3 snacks. Not ideal but if upyou can make it work it’s at least something.

Yes because Disney’s perspective is that you’re paying for the experience and not the food. I have a similar issue with one of my kids and we make out better financially if we don’t use the dining plan.

Yes, more than likely, she will be charged at character meals. Standard Disney policy that no one gets character interaction at meals without paying for it.

You can use both her QS and TS (the ones not used at character meals) credits to purchase adult QS meals.

I get the character part, but really it’s still kind of ridiculous. I’m not sure she will even care about the characters. She is low functioning autism non-verbal.

We were on the Deluxe Dining Plan with my family of 5 and my daughter is on TPN and does not eat by mouth at all. I was able to buy a plan for only four of us after we explained her condition and they made an exception. We were never charged for my daughter for any of our meals, and we had a lot of character meals. Perhaps because she has cerebral palsy and is non verbal...not sure why they always made an exception but in every restaurant we were treated respectfully and kindly. A very positive experience for us! This was December 2017.

That is a great experience! My dd is autistic and also non-verbal, but she will eat puréed food if spoon fed. She also still drinks out of a bottle. Did you purchase the dp before you arrived at Disney? I’m surprised they made an exception.

I’m glad you were able to secure an exception. First I’ve ever heard of one being granted

OP, you can use her snacks and qs meals for adult meals. The ts meal credit can be dumbed down for a qs meal or 3 snacks. Not ideal but if upyou can make it work it’s at least something.

So her ts credits cannot be used for adult meals, but qs can?

Correct. Qs credits are not broken down into adult or child. On the regular ddp ts credits are broken down into adult and child, hence the limited use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter