Dining Plan Questions

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We've been to Uni a few times but never considered a dining plan before. With butter beer price increases and cones required at Florians it's making those snack credits look more attractive. So a couple of questions.

The regular dining plan info has inconsistent info online. It says you need a package to get it but then also says that hotel guests can buy it at the resorts. Anyone done that recently?

They only show adult prices online for the quick service plan. Do they have a kids price?

Are most things on the menus available on the plan? Anyone had issues with regular entree not being covered?

We'll be eating at 3B and LC along with the previously mentioned butter beer (I know it's a snack) and ice cream. I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I assume it's going to be worth it at least for a couple of days. If the full meal plan is an option we may consider that for a day or two when we'd be eating at one of the participating sit down places.

I can answer a few of your questions, but not all.

The regular dining plan info has inconsistent info online. It says you need a package to get it but then also says that hotel guests can buy it at the resorts. Anyone done that recently? While I haven't been in two years, not only when I went, but from what I've read from people online when people ask these questions (more recently) you can still even go as far as purchase the dining plan at a register. So unless policies have changed very recently you have always been able to not only purchase it without a vacation package, or staying at a resort, but can even purchase it while at a register at the last minute.

Are most things on the menus available on the plan? Anyone had issues with regular entree not being covered?
Snacks and other drinks are another story, but if you're asking about meals, anything should be covered. I cannot say 100% for table service type of plan if there are specific rules, but the QS plan all meals are included, even combo meals, such as for example, Mel's Diner who has milkshakes included with their meal, or Louie's who has salads included with their meals, both are considered a combo.

In terms of whether it'll be worth it, or not, it doesn't take much to make it worth your money, especially if you use all that is included. While a few meals would make you get less for what you're paying for, most of the meals should get you well worth your money, especially if you get a combo. If you get a Mel's Diner combo, the milkshake is not considered a drink, so you still have a drink you can either use there, such as a soda, or save it so you can have your soda later.

I can answer a few of your questions, but not all.

The regular dining plan info has inconsistent info online. It says you need a package to get it but then also says that hotel guests can buy it at the resorts. Anyone done that recently? While I haven't been in two years, not only when I went, but from what I've read from people online when people ask these questions (more recently) you can still even go as far as purchase the dining plan at a register. So unless policies have changed very recently you have always been able to not only purchase it without a vacation package, or staying at a resort, but can even purchase it while at a register at the last minute.

Are most things on the menus available on the plan? Anyone had issues with regular entree not being covered? Snacks and other drinks are another story, but if you're asking about meals, anything should be covered. I cannot say 100% for table service type of plan if there are specific rules, but the QS plan all meals are included, even combo meals, such as for example, Mel's Diner who has milkshakes included with their meal, or Louie's who has salads included with their meals, both are considered a combo.

In terms of whether it'll be worth it, or not, it doesn't take much to make it worth your money, especially if you use all that is included. While a few meals would make you get less for what you're paying for, most of the meals should get you well worth your money, especially if you get a combo. If you get a Mel's Diner combo, the milkshake is not considered a drink, so you still have a drink you can either use there, such as a soda, or save it so you can have your soda later.
Thank you for the very detailed answer. That's very helpful!

First of all, the Universal Full Service Dining Plan is exclusively available for pre-purchase with a Universal Orlando vacation package or at the Universal Ticket Center for on-site resort guests only. This is the only dining plan that offers both full service and quick service restaurants, as well as snacks. The Universal Full Service Dining Plan offers guests one (1) full service meal, one (1) quick service meal, one (1) snack, and one (1) non-alcoholic beverage, per day. The cost of the Universal Dining Plan is one price for adults (ages 10 and up) and one price for kids that are between 3 and 9. Price is per day. Note, sit down restaurant may need reservations, and does not include tips.

Second, the Universal Quick Service Dining Plan is available for all guests, regardless of where you are staying. You can purchase the Quick Service Dining Plan anytime throughout your visit by visiting one of the kiosks located at the front gates of the parks, or anywhere in the parks where it is sold. Can also get it when you are purchasing the meal, and say, I want to buy the plan and use it on this purchase. The Quick Service Dining Plan offers guests one (1) quick service meal, one (1) snack, and one (1) non-alcoholic beverage, per day, and yes, just like the Full Serivce Plan, price per day is priced at the adult and child. Child runs about 8 or so dollars less than the adults.

The prices online are the same as the parks, and will include tax.

With the Quick Service Plan, you can also buy it combined with a refillable, freestyle mug. Mug is refillable the day the plan is purchased, for no additional cost, but if you use it another day, you have to pay, and your one non-alcoholic drink does not come with this Mug bundled meal deal.

I have never used the Sit Down Meal, though I did with the mini golf and meal one. one time. Wouldn't buy it again.

I have bought the Quick Service one, sometimes. I think I save a few dollars, but since I have an AP, I do the math. If you have an American Express card, by showing the AMEX deals on your Universal's app on your phone or the AMEX info on Universal's website, you can get a discount on the Mug Quick Service deal, a few dollars discount when you then buy it using your AMEX card. That is the only time I think I have seen a discount for either of the two plans. Even an AP discount is not honored, as I guess Universal thinks it already provides a discount, and AMEx is the official preferred credit card, so I guess that's why there are a few deals you get using it in the resort. including a small break room, where you can get cold water bottles and sit in AC, if you use your AmEx card to buy your tickets or AP.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts