Dining Plan and special diets

BlondeAlligator

DIS Veteran
My DD is autistic, and we are in the process of beginning the gluten free/casein free diet to see if it helps her. We will be going to Disney in December, and if she is still on the diet at that time, she really won't be able to eat many restaurant foods. My question is this...are the dining plan points "pooled" such that anyone in our room could use hers, even though hers cost less than the adults? I would expect her points to be used at character dining because of the overall experience, but if we don't order anything for her at a regular meal, can an adult use her point? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

as of right now all the dining credits are "pooled". That might change in the future though. I would pay out of pocket for your daughter except at the character dinners. My son is Asperger's and we will be doing the same thing since there are only about 12 things that he eats.

Because you care doing the gluten/casein fre diet. Mention it to disability services and your waitress/waiter. This is not an uncommon diet request. Many folks with celiac disease can't do gluten either.

GL,
Jane

I won't get into can/should child credits be used for adult meals - it's a topic that often just starts a flame war.....

That said, you should be able to get a meal tailored to your DDs needs. You can mention it to your server or call the restaurant ahead of time to discuss options. The second option might be better if there is a limited number of items within the diet that DD will be happy eating. That way, you and the chef can come up with something suitable and they'll make sure to have the right ingredients around. They do things like this all the time for various special needs/diets.

Enjoy the trip! :)

My kids were on a gluten free diet for over a year - that was so tough - I cannot imagine doing GF/CF. Best of luck - I hope it works wonders for your child :) If you need any information on great places and brands for breads, pasta(most are CF a well) etc PM me and I'll let you know.

Having said that - as long as you call well ahead of time you should be able to have appropriate GF/CF CHILD FRIENDLY meals prepared for your child at the sit down restaurants. They do carry GF pasta, GF pizza(not sure about the CF) GF rolls(again many are CF as well you just need to make sure) If she'll eat more adult fare she'll have a broader selection with nice pasta dishes, grilled meats and potatoes etc and of course plenty of fruits and veggies. I can see how counter service meals may be an issue - but anybody can eat a child's meal purchased with those credits etc.

Good luck :)

Sounds like you'd be best off staying away from the dining plan. It's isn't really a very good option for folks with some special dietary restrictions.

Thanks to everyone who posted...we've decided to go with the dining plan. For the adults in the party it's definately worth it. The cost for DD to be on the plan is $55 and to just get her into the character meals we are planning on would be $50 if we paid cash. It's worth it to me to have the convenience of the plan even if we don't save money on it. That way we don't have to worry about meal $$! I have been reading more about how helpful the chefs are with special diets & I am encouraged by that!

BTW...I would never even consider using her points for the grown-ups if it weren't for her major diet restictions...I guess that's why some people get "flamed". It's was just my opinion that if my DD can't find safe foods to eat, we should be allowed to use her points. It's not like we can buy the plan for just us and not her.

Thanks for all of the advice!

:)

The Disney table service restaurants are great with special dietary needs. The counter services are less so--but you can always ask.

For special needs, let Disney Dining know when you make your ADRs. Call back about a week before the trip to check that the notation is on the ADR computer. Then, when you arrive at the resort ask the concierge desk to call each of the restaurants and be sure that the chef is aware. They do ask for at least 24 hours notice for special diets.

I have seen the chef come out and discuss with a guest exactly what she can have and how it needs to be prepared. He even told them that the next time they come, they should bring her favorite recipe along and he would fix it for her.

Glad to hear the info you found here and elsewhere has let you relax about DDs diet at WDW. It's nice to have the stress reduced, at least where possible. :)

I also want to say that I hope I didn't come off as judgemental about the adult/child credit thing - that was definitely not my intention. I was mainly just trying to avoid posting an opinion on a topic that tends to get heated around here, not tell you what to do. Unless Disney changes their policy before your trip, you'll be able to do as you describe.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

kcashner said:
They do ask for at least 24 hours notice for special diets.

DD is gluten free and the wonderful experience we had with WDW dining last year for a day trip has convinced DH that a week would be great. It is actually reccomended at least 72 hours notice to allow them to get necessary ingredients.(Passporters Special Needs) Just let them know when making ADR's and they will note it on the reservation. They will also give you the number to the restaurant to call to contact the chef before your visit to discuss needs. DD also has texture issues so this was helpful. Look over the menues and see if there is something that they like and you can find out if it is GFCF or could they make it so.

Denise in MI :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter