Dining at DLP

Elleinthecity

I won't grow up...
My daughter and I are going to be at DLP at the beginning of March. This is our third trip. On the first one, we were majorly underwhelmed by the food offerings. The second trip we did a little better, mainly because Rendez-Vous Gourmand was going on. This time, I have one reservation at Bistro Remy and am contemplating going to Pret at the outlets. Anyone have ideas for good meals, quick service or sit down, that we could partake in?

When I was there in October 2023 we ate at
  • Hunter's Grill and Beaver Creek Tavern - Buffet
  • Manhattan Restaurant - Table Service
  • The Steakhouse - Table Service
  • Au Chalet de la Marionnette - Counter Service
  • Stark Factory - Counter Service
  • Earl of Sandwich - Counter Service
I was surprised by all of them. The food quality , for what they were, was really good. The counter service is theme park food, the buffets were really good. The food gets a bad reputation but honestly, as long as you take it as face value and are not expecting fine dining, there is nothing to worry about. I certainly would not just rely on Pret food.

Love the Royal Pub and Annette's, Vaipiano and Rain Forest Cafe are all decent. Earl of Sandwich is usually our go-to on travel days. Hunters Grill is good. Steakhouse had the best appetizer I ever had. Stark factory has a good value for money pasta.

We were there Christmas Day and very underwhelmed.

We had counter service at Stark Factory and found it very mediocre. Being Christmas Day, table service reservations were very limited even 60 days out, and the best I was able to do was Silver Spur Steakhouse. Ok but not great.

If I had the opportunity, I would have chosen Walt’s but it was booked. If we had more than one day, I would have explored the Disney Village.

We were there Christmas Day and very underwhelmed.

We had counter service at Stark Factory and found it very mediocre. Being Christmas Day, table service reservations were very limited even 60 days out, and the best I was able to do was Silver Spur Steakhouse. Ok but not great.

If I had the opportunity, I would have chosen Walt’s but it was booked. If we had more than one day, I would have explored the Disney Village.
Table service reservations open at approx 12 months in advance for on site hotel guests, so at 60 days out almost everything will be booked up. I did my reservations at 10 moths in advance and even then Downtown Restaurant in the Marvel Hotel was booked up.

The food at DLP could be better but we've never had a truly awful meal there. Underwhelming is probably a good description for some of our meals though - that was how I described Plaza Gardens!

Earl of Sandwich is always good, and I've heard good things about the new restaurant Rosalie but we haven't tried that yet. For table service, our favourites are Bistrot Chez Remy, Walts, and Manhattan. I'm not a big fan of buffets but Pym Kitchen and Restaurant Agrabah Cafe were both great.

When I was there in October 2023 we ate at
  • Hunter's Grill and Beaver Creek Tavern - Buffet
  • Manhattan Restaurant - Table Service
  • The Steakhouse - Table Service
  • Au Chalet de la Marionnette - Counter Service
  • Stark Factory - Counter Service
  • Earl of Sandwich - Counter Service
I was surprised by all of them. The food quality , for what they were, was really good. The counter service is theme park food, the buffets were really good. The food gets a bad reputation but honestly, as long as you take it as face value and are not expecting fine dining, there is nothing to worry about. I certainly would not just rely on Pret food.
Good tips. Will check out Steakhouse, you are the second person to mention!

Love the Royal Pub and Annette's, Vaipiano and Rain Forest Cafe are all decent. Earl of Sandwich is usually our go-to on travel days. Hunters Grill is good. Steakhouse had the best appetizer I ever had. Stark factory has a good value for money pasta.
Thank you! Stark Factory sounds like a winner. We ate at the Royal Pub when it was King Ludwigs or whatever. It was decent. Got the job done.

Table service reservations open at approx 12 months in advance for on site hotel guests, so at 60 days out almost everything will be booked up. I did my reservations at 10 moths in advance and even then Downtown Restaurant in the Marvel Hotel was booked up.
We stayed at Art of Marvel and had HORRIBLE problems with my ticket. The concierge got us into Manhattan same day as a way to soothe my crankiness.

The food at DLP could be better but we've never had a truly awful meal there. Underwhelming is probably a good description for some of our meals though - that was how I described Plaza Gardens!

Earl of Sandwich is always good, and I've heard good things about the new restaurant Rosalie but we haven't tried that yet. For table service, our favourites are Bistrot Chez Remy, Walts, and Manhattan. I'm not a big fan of buffets but Pym Kitchen and Restaurant Agrabah Cafe were both great.
We LOVE middle eastern food. May try Agrabah if they are not too nut heavy.

Do you remember the app at Steakhouse?

Do you remember the app at Steakhouse?
Luckily I made a picture. Btw, it was the Silver Spur Steakhouse in Disneyland Park, not the Steakhouse in the village. That one you can skip in my opinion. Underwhelming. The food was okay, but not as good as I hoped.

The appetizer was: Fromage frais with herbs, apple and cranberries, squash chutney, parmesan crumble and pecan nuts, dried pastrami.

20231116_172414.jpg

Besides Bistro Chez Remy, Pym Kitchen was one of our favorite meals. We almost ate there twice!

Btw, it was the Silver Spur Steakhouse in Disneyland Park, not the Steakhouse in the village. That one you can skip in my opinion. Underwhelming. The food was okay, but not as good as I hoped.
Agreed - the Steakhouse in the Village used to be really good but has slowly been going downhill over the years. Every time the menu gets shorter in terms of options, they seem to cram even more tables in to the same space (sat at a table for two next to another two and we were so close it might as well have been a table for four) and the quality of the food seems to be getting lower and lower. We used to get a reservation for it every trip but didn't bother on our last visit and probably won't when we go back later this year.

My rule of thumb:
  • avoid burgers at all counter service (except Five Guys at the Village)
  • the table services are good if you factor the ambience, just ok if you judge only the food
  • buffets are better than you might expect (nothing of the caliber of Boma, but no Chef Mickey either)
My favorite counter service by far is Cowboy Cookout BBQ in Frontierland. Very good ribs and excellent theme. (If it is open, there was a fire in the kitchen recently and sometime it's open only seasonally).

Thank you all for your thoughts! One thing to add is that we have a food allergy in our party - my daughter cannot eat any peanuts or tree nuts. So sometimes we avoid a place if they have too many peanuts on their menu (Hakuna Matata) or because we don't trust that we will be able to communicate the severity of the allergy (it is severe). Five Guys is definitely somewhere we couldn't go, and there are others. Mostly, we trust Disney more in the states to keep us safe but there are exceptions. Not sure how a buffet would be here. I've seen enough of "take the burger back to the kitchen and pull the bun off, but serve the same burger" to my son who has celiac disease.

Thank you all for your thoughts! One thing to add is that we have a food allergy in our party - my daughter cannot eat any peanuts or tree nuts. So sometimes we avoid a place if they have too many peanuts on their menu (Hakuna Matata) or because we don't trust that we will be able to communicate the severity of the allergy (it is severe). Five Guys is definitely somewhere we couldn't go, and there are others. Mostly, we trust Disney more in the states to keep us safe but there are exceptions. Not sure how a buffet would be here. I've seen enough of "take the burger back to the kitchen and pull the bun off, but serve the same burger" to my son who has celiac disease.
My mum is a diagnosed coeliac and on a gluten free diet. I was very impressed with the buffet at Hunters Grill in Sequoia Lodge. When we said it to our server, in English, when he was taking our drink order, he was very aware. He came back with a binder of allergy information. My mum just had to find Gluten Free in the binder and it was clearly marked which of the buffet foods were safe for her.

At Manhattan Restaurant in the Marvel Hotel, again the server was very aware. He made a suggestion about which appetizer, main and dessert she should order. He even brought out a separate dish of olive oil and factory sealed gluten free bread for her.

It was the same at Steakhouse in Disney Village, again the server was very aware and gave suggestions about items she could order.

My mum travels with a small card which gives information about her food allergy. She gets them on a coeliac / gluten free advise website. When we went to Disneyland Paris she had one in French. We also know basic French , sans gluten means without gluten , so we could verbally double check.

It depends on how severe the allergy is, and if cross contamination is an issue for you. My mum has been on a gluten free diet for over 40 years, so she knows her tolerance level and how sensitive she is to cross contamination.

Yep. We were only there for the day, so everything was long gone.

This weekend, I tried two restaurants for the first time: Walts & Rosalie

We had lunch at Walts, which was nice. The restaurant was quiet, we had a table at the window and could see the floats coming down Main Street for the hub show. The food was good, and decently priced 55 euro for a 3 course meal (excluding drinks) is not bad for what I expected it to be. Definitely enjoyed it and think it's one of the better table service meals in the parks. It's not something I would do every visit. Had the corn soup, Mac & Cheese and lemon meringue pie for dessert. And the Main Street Mocktail.

Last Saturday we went to Rosalie in the village. We were tired from the AP Party the night before, and there was so much rain. We arrived at 3, first had a drink, then ordered, and we had a very very leisurely meal. The restaurant was almost empty. We left somewhere around 5:30-6. We could have left earlier, but we were in no rush and the staff just let us stay.
Food was good. I had the braised beef and the crème brûlée for dessert. Plus a virgin cosmo.

So, discovered two good restaurants I would definitely recommend.

My family enjoyed Walt’s on our trip a few weeks ago. We also liked Captain Jack’s. It was very dark and it took a while to be served, but the food was good.

I was very happy with the number of interesting non-alcoholic drinks at table service restaurants in the parks and Disney Village and in lounges at the resorts (Sequoia Lodge and Art of Marvel).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter